Author Topic: Pista ng Pelikulang Pilipino (PPP) 2018  (Read 1622 times)

Offline Klaus Weasley

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 511
Pista ng Pelikulang Pilipino (PPP) 2018
« on: Aug 15, 2018 at 11:57 AM »
Starts today. What are you guys seeing?

The entries:

Ang Babaeng Allergic sa Wifi, directed by Jun Robles Lana
Starring: Sue Ramirez, Jameson Blake, and Markus Paterson

The Day After Valentine's, directed by Jason Paul Laxamana
Starring: JC Santos and Bela Padilla

Unli Life, directed by Miko Livelo
Starring: Vhong Navarro and Winwyn Marquez

Bakwit Boys, directed by Jason Paul Laxamana
Starring: Devon Seron, Nikko Natividad, Ryle Paolo Santiago

Madilim ang Gabi, directed by Adolfo Alix Jr.
Starring: Gina Alajar, Philip Salvador, Felix Roco

Pinay Beauty, directed by Jay Abello
Starring: Chai Fonacier, Edgar Allan Guzman

Signal Rock, directed by Chito Roño
Starring: Christian Bables and Nading Josef

We Will Not Die Tonight, directed by Richard Somes
Starring: Erich Gonzales, Alex Medina, and Max Eigenmann

Offline Noel_Vera

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm afraid of the quiet man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
Re: Pista ng Pelikulang Pilipino (PPP) 2018
« Reply #1 on: Aug 18, 2018 at 01:08 AM »

This is Not an Open Letter to the Cinema Evaluation Board (on their decision to give Balangiga: Howling Wilderness a zero rating)

Offline jas

• Trade Count: (+425)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1225
« Reply #2 on: Aug 18, 2018 at 07:10 AM »
Bakwit Boys - A heartwarming, feel-good movie about family, brotherhood, the pursuit of dreams & music. It's structured very simply & I think we all know how the narrative will end, but I guess it doesn't really matter as it's all still quite affecting. I like that although set in the present, it has a rustic look & atmosphere throughout, perhaps like remembering one summer day in younger years. The songs are good & catchy. Of the satisfying cast, Devon Seron is a standout, particularly with her guitar playing & singing (plus she is pretty too.....hehe.....). We have seen this type of film before, but still an excellent crowd pleaser.   

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Aug 19, 2018 at 01:23 AM »
Signal Rock (Chito S. Rono) ***1/2 - In a far-flung provincial island in the Philippines where you can only get a cellphone signal in the remote rocky cliffside (the titular signal rock), one of the only ways of getting out of poverty is for young women to get with rich foreigners. A young man who uses his cellphone to communicate to an older sister who is in such a relationship but finds out something horrible and he must do something about it. One of the things that surprised me with this film is that it's actually a lot lighter and even funnier than the synopsis suggests. It skillfully blends both a feeling of the warmth of community and the hardship of such a life. Features some great performances too.

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Aug 19, 2018 at 11:33 PM »
Unli Life (Miko Livelo) *** - A podcast DJ is dumped by his girlfriend just as he was about to propose. This sends him to a magical bar where a swig of magic whiskey (or "wish key") gets him to travel back in time in past lives to try and win her back. I don't think I've ever seen a film starring Vhong Navarro since I find him a grating personality but I heard good things about this so I gave it a try....and it is a pretty darn funny film and not "funny" in that usual Filipino comedy sense but actually pretty darn clever. That said, the parts are better than the whole but it's still a pretty solid comedy with enough laughs to recommend.

Offline syoti

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #5 on: Aug 20, 2018 at 10:24 PM »
Havent watched all. So far i like the best Babeng Allergic sa Wifi. Great actor jameson blake..liked his acting in 2 cool to 2 be forgotten. He's as good here. Next is Signal Rock then Bakwit Boys

Offline jas

• Trade Count: (+425)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1225
« Reply #6 on: Aug 22, 2018 at 06:33 AM »
Ang Babaeng Allergic sa WiFi - Cute, sweet, charming and all that, with a good cast and a last act twist that tries to elevate the material to something deeper and more meaningful. Partially succeeds. Technical merits are excellent, with particular kudos to the polished cinematography and colorful production design. Nice locations too.
« Last Edit: Aug 22, 2018 at 06:34 AM by jas »