Author Topic: Rear surround/satellite speakers?  (Read 948 times)

Offline Disharmony

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Rear surround/satellite speakers?
« on: Aug 16, 2018 at 01:02 PM »
What do I need to look for when buying rear channel speakers? Or is this the part of the setup you don't need to overthink and you can just buy any pair? Also, can I tuck them underneath the couch away from view?

Offline synchro_01

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 883
Re: Rear surround/satellite speakers?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 16, 2018 at 03:03 PM »
Ideally it should be of the same timbre for seamless transition and panning of sound from front to rear so that means getting the same line/brand/model series like that of your fronts fortunately most manufacturers have a wall mount model specifically for rears. For most HT enthusiasts they opt to choose other brands due to availability, speaker design, cost, cosmetics etc. and then they try their best to match it using DSP or any signal manipulation derivative from the AVR but for the discerning enthusiast its a non negotiable to get the same line, model series and brand.

Underneath the couch? That would be a waste. There are many websites that will suggest the optimal placement for rear surrounds
Pioneer Elite/Dynaudio/REL 7.1 THX
Pioneer DDJ SR2/Pioneer DM60/Mac Air M1
Sonos/NHT 2,1 sub sat

Offline Disharmony

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #2 on: Aug 16, 2018 at 08:37 PM »
Don't think Q Acoustics has any surrounds available locally which is a shame because I really love their speakers and the sound signature.

Offline synchro_01

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 883
« Reply #3 on: Aug 17, 2018 at 05:21 PM »
Don't think Q Acoustics has any surrounds available locally which is a shame because I really love their speakers and the sound signature.

Still doable. You can get one of their bookshelf models and mount them on the wall using this:

this is exactly what I use for my Dynaudio A40 bookshelves for my rears.
Pioneer Elite/Dynaudio/REL 7.1 THX
Pioneer DDJ SR2/Pioneer DM60/Mac Air M1
Sonos/NHT 2,1 sub sat