Author Topic: Thoughts on using both Apple TV 4K and Nvidia Shield TV  (Read 3034 times)

Offline sidewinder

• Trade Count: (+92)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 27
Thoughts on using both Apple TV 4K and Nvidia Shield TV
« on: Oct 16, 2018 at 06:25 PM »
Thoughts on using both Apple TV 4K and Nvidia Shield TV.
Disclaimer: By no means i'm a professional reviewer, just figured i'd share my thoughts on these two players... been debating which to get and ended getting both as they both have their strengths and weaknesses. apologies in advance if i get my terminologies mixed up. Also if some experts may notice i'm doing something wrong or there's a workaround for what i mention here, feel free to correct me :)

Both players are plugged on my Atmos-capable Yamaha receiver with these specs:  HDMI 2.1 with HDCP 2.2 (4-in/1-out): 4K Ultra HD, HDR10, Dolby Vision, Hybrid Log-Gamma and BT.2020
Then the receiver is plugged on my Sony Triluminos 4K HDR TV via HDMI arc

Advantages of Apple TV 4K:
Dolby Vision, Dolby Atmos via Netflix. Works flawlessly on 50mbps fiber connection.
Airplay 2 - my homepod, iphone and ipad can easily connect to the apple tv

Advantages of Nvidia Shield:
Plays bitstream audio, unlike apple tv which processes it via PCM. Some say there is negligible difference but watching a couple of movies it is noticeable, not much to be a deal breaker but i notice audio to be clearer, especially the dialogue on Nvidia shield.

Shield has google assistant built-in via the controller so you can turn on/off the TV via voice.

Nvidia plays atmos movies via server and hard drive connected. This is such a deal breaker for Apple TV. While netflix plays atmos, dolby vision, etc, its only for streaming services like netflix and itunes movies, so take note of this when buying the apple TV 4k. There's this app called infuse which is very popular on ios which is like plex and you can use the app to play files on a network (i use it to stream 50gb-80gb files no problem) but so far no clue yet if they will eventually play movies that have atmos audio. So for now, Nvidia shield has this advantage.

Bottomline: As far as compatibility is concerned i think i will be keeping both for awhile, and just wait which one catches up with the other. I go to Apple TV for Netflix since it has atmos, dolby vision, hdr, then shift to the shield when i will watch using my local files.

As for similarities:
1. Both players are fast, no UI lag at all.
2. Both can access my airport time capsule which serves as my network drive.
3. Plex works great on both with Nvidia getting Kodi as bonus. Apple tv has Infuse app though and that one is also a solid player (except for non compatibility with atmos so far) so ios users should check out that app, just quite pricey but using it the past 3 years and they have been very solid, just pay once too and get it on all your devices.
4. Remote: the apple tv has the better remote but nvidia also has the controller and hands free google assistant.

Extra notes on smart home functions:
1. Amazon alexa works on the yamaha receiver for basic functions like on/off volume up/down, skip songs on tidal/spotify
2. If you have an old apple express around, repurpose it as an airplay 2 receiver... i used mine and connected it via optical, works great and i'm not sure why but it sounds better than airplay 1 (built-in yamaha).  Since the express is now connected to my receiver via airplay 2, i can instruct the homepod to play songs on the yamaha, and correspondingly, play skip rewind songs on apple music that are streaming on the receiver

If you have any questions, just fire away :)
« Last Edit: Oct 16, 2018 at 07:30 PM by sidewinder »

Offline ♡ lvcdg23™ ✌

• Trade Count: (+120)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Provides ALL your BASS needs...NOTHING comes close
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 119
Thoughts on using both Apple TV 4K and Nvidia Shield TV
« Reply #1 on: Oct 16, 2018 at 07:10 PM »
Sana the Shield will support Dolby Atmos na din in Netflix...
Im a Shield user btw sir :)

Thanks for sharing ;)

Offline firestorm

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Thoughts on using both Apple TV 4K and Nvidia Shield TV
« Reply #2 on: Oct 16, 2018 at 07:12 PM »
Hi, are you connecting wirelessly to your airport time capsule via wifi 802.11ac 5ghz to be able to stream 50-80gb files? BTW, did you get the yamaha rxv-585? how much did you get it for?

Thanks.

Offline sidewinder

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Oct 16, 2018 at 07:15 PM »
^yes sir i got that model, cant remember the exact price but it was around 32k+... The airport time capsule is connected via ethernet sir on both apple tv and shield... streaming via wifi actually worked on some 40-50gb files but there was occasional stutter so decided to go with ethernet.

« Last Edit: Oct 16, 2018 at 07:17 PM by sidewinder »

Offline Waxx

• Trade Count: (+78)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • PDVD RULES!!! (basahin nyo, i mean!)
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 791
« Reply #4 on: Oct 16, 2018 at 07:18 PM »
appletv cant play local mkv files right? while shieldtv can. yan yung dealbreaker for appletv for me. the mkv support.

Offline firestorm

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #5 on: Oct 16, 2018 at 07:20 PM »
^yes sir i got that model, cant remember the exact price but it was around 32k+... The airport time capsule is connected via ethernet sir on both apple tv and shield... streaming via wifi actually worked on some 40-50gb files but there was occasional stutter so decided to go with ethernet.

sorry for the OT, did you order the 585 from the US? what's your initial impression of it? Thanks.

Offline sidewinder

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Oct 16, 2018 at 07:25 PM »
appletv cant play local mkv files right? while shieldtv can. yan yung dealbreaker for appletv for me. the mkv support.

hi sir, the infuse app i mentioned will play mkv, in fact they took it one notch better and can play the direct blu ray files, dont know what its called, the ones that are divided into folders etc and not remux mkv... infuse reads it as one single movie and plays it smoothly.. with the nvidia i had to go to the actual files and try to play it from there, some would play but some will not.

oops if you meant local files connected directly to the apple tv then it cant, but via a network server, infuse can read them just like plex and play them. infuse actually now can integrate with plex.
« Last Edit: Oct 16, 2018 at 07:26 PM by sidewinder »

Offline Waxx

• Trade Count: (+78)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • PDVD RULES!!! (basahin nyo, i mean!)
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 791
« Reply #7 on: Oct 16, 2018 at 07:27 PM »

oops if you meant local files connected directly to the apple tv then it cant, but via a network server, infuse can read them just like plex and play them. infuse actually now can integrate with plex.

yes i meant local attached via usb...  thanks!

Offline sidewinder

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Oct 16, 2018 at 07:29 PM »
sorry for the OT, did you order the 585 from the US? what's your initial impression of it? Thanks.

no sir, its available locally now i got it on the week it was released, kakakulit ko siguro sa yamaha agents hehe i actually just wanted the 583 model and kaya pala wala ako makuha they had a new one incoming... as for initial impression sir i'm satisfied with it connected on my humble entry level wharfedale receivers and polk audio sub/ onkyo atmos speakers (daw)... but i cant really say if its great, better etc since i have no basis, i am coming from an ageing pioneer receiver that didnt even have hdmi hehe

Offline doughn

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Addict
  • sleepyhead
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #9 on: Oct 19, 2018 at 07:36 PM »
which is better for Netflix ? does shield stream 5.1 audio using Netflix and Amazon Prime Video? and where did get the Nvidia? thanks and cheers
7.2.4 system
Focal
Marantz
Epson
SVS
Elitescreen
Velodyne
Xbox1S
Nvidia
Berkline
Logitech
QED
Kimb

Offline ehome

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #10 on: Oct 20, 2018 at 03:37 PM »
Thanks for your thoughts on these 2 products :D

Offline sidewinder

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Oct 20, 2018 at 05:07 PM »
which is better for Netflix ? does shield stream 5.1 audio using Netflix and Amazon Prime Video? and where did get the Nvidia? thanks and cheers
For netflix apple tv gets the upperhand since it does atmos... yes shield can do 5.1, only difference is the atmos. Got the nvidia from amazon

Offline doughn

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Addict
  • sleepyhead
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #12 on: Oct 21, 2018 at 02:35 PM »
For netflix apple tv gets the upperhand since it does atmos... yes shield can do 5.1, only difference is the atmos. Got the nvidia from amazon
. thanks for the helpful info :)
7.2.4 system
Focal
Marantz
Epson
SVS
Elitescreen
Velodyne
Xbox1S
Nvidia
Berkline
Logitech
QED
Kimb

Offline mhacman

• Trade Count: (+56)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 129
« Reply #13 on: Jan 26, 2019 at 11:58 AM »
Sana the Shield will support Dolby Atmos na din in Netflix...
Im a Shield user btw sir :)

Thanks for sharing ;)

buhayin natin itong comparison thread =))

about Netflix Atmos - I've read that Netflix actually broadcasts Dolby Digital Plus 5.1ch (embedded with Atmos heights metadata).  and while it's true that you're AVR will detect it with an Atmos stream, it's really 6ch only.

I already came across with several torrent downloaded NF movies, and indeed it's DD+ Atmos on my AVR.  and on SPMC/Kodi though, it says the movie audio stream is 5.1ch.  ang galing na talaga ng audio codec tech ngayon!

btw, I'm a Shield user as well...
« Last Edit: Jan 26, 2019 at 12:00 PM by mhacman »

Offline comet

• Trade Count: (+84)
  • DVD Guru
  • Hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #14 on: Jan 28, 2019 at 11:10 PM »
Guys can the ATV4k infuse passthrough DTS:X and atmos na?

Offline ♡ lvcdg23™ ✌

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Jan 29, 2019 at 08:57 AM »
Guys can the ATV4k infuse passthrough DTS:X and atmos na?

Unfortunately, it can't
Atmos is only supported via Netrlix streaming

Offline comet

• Trade Count: (+84)
  • DVD Guru
  • Hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #16 on: Jan 29, 2019 at 11:34 AM »
thank sir Louie!

Offline ♡ lvcdg23™ ✌

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Jan 30, 2019 at 04:30 PM »
thank sir Louie!

What the Infuse would do is to transfer lossless LPCM to the audio device. Lossless siya but hindi ipapakita ni receiver na Atmos or DTS:X and dinidecode nya.

As per Infuse FAQ
"Audio will be sent as uncompressed, multi-channel LPCM (up to 7.1 channels and 24-bit)"
« Last Edit: Jan 30, 2019 at 04:36 PM by ♡ lvcdg23™ ✌ »

Offline sidewinder

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Jan 30, 2019 at 05:16 PM »
buhayin natin itong comparison thread =))

about Netflix Atmos - I've read that Netflix actually broadcasts Dolby Digital Plus 5.1ch (embedded with Atmos heights metadata).  and while it's true that you're AVR will detect it with an Atmos stream, it's really 6ch only.

I already came across with several torrent downloaded NF movies, and indeed it's DD+ Atmos on my AVR.  and on SPMC/Kodi though, it says the movie audio stream is 5.1ch.  ang galing na talaga ng audio codec tech ngayon!

btw, I'm a Shield user as well...

sorry confused with this, you are referring to netflix on apple tv or shield?
on apple tv playing netflix with atmos it does say "atmos" on the receiver, but on shield, using the same movie or tv show with atmos, it just says dolby digital. When you watch the netflix on apple TV you would see the  titles with Atmos since its labelled but with nvidia shield, you dont see the atmos label at all on the screen since the shield is not yet included on netflix's devices that has atmos...  as things stand for someone like me who watches both on netflix and local media files and prefer Atmos, these two will have to go together for now on my AV rack, until one of them catches up with the other.

"about Netflix Atmos - I've read that Netflix actually broadcasts Dolby Digital Plus 5.1ch (embedded with Atmos heights metadata).  and while it's true that you're AVR will detect it with an Atmos stream, it's really 6ch only."
it does work on my 5.2.2 setup, all speakers are lit on my receiver and all seven speakers work, including my onkyo atmos speakers...  if this is how Netflix handles Atmos then i dont mind, at least the Apple TV 4K does atmos hehe, hopefully the shield catches up, right now i use shield strictly for local files with Atmos

Offline jerix

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • got no golden ears...just loving music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #19 on: Jan 30, 2019 at 08:33 PM »
So hows the setup? Hdmi out from atv4k to atmos receiver, then receiver to tv? Ty
Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II

Offline jerix

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • got no golden ears...just loving music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #20 on: Jan 30, 2019 at 08:34 PM »
O yes i forgot. Hdmi v2 only. Right?
Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II

Offline mhacman

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Jan 31, 2019 at 01:30 AM »
So hows the setup? Hdmi out from atv4k to atmos receiver, then receiver to tv? Ty

yes

O yes i forgot. Hdmi v2 only. Right?

yes.  and you'll need 2 of them HDMI v2.0b cables.

Offline mhacman

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Jan 31, 2019 at 01:39 AM »
sorry confused with this, you are referring to netflix on apple tv or shield?
on apple tv playing netflix with atmos it does say "atmos" on the receiver, but on shield, using the same movie or tv show with atmos, it just says dolby digital. When you watch the netflix on apple TV you would see the  titles with Atmos since its labelled but with nvidia shield, you dont see the atmos label at all on the screen since the shield is not yet included on netflix's devices that has atmos...  as things stand for someone like me who watches both on netflix and local media files and prefer Atmos, these two will have to go together for now on my AV rack, until one of them catches up with the other.

"about Netflix Atmos - I've read that Netflix actually broadcasts Dolby Digital Plus 5.1ch (embedded with Atmos heights metadata).  and while it's true that you're AVR will detect it with an Atmos stream, it's really 6ch only."
it does work on my 5.2.2 setup, all speakers are lit on my receiver and all seven speakers work, including my onkyo atmos speakers...  if this is how Netflix handles Atmos then i dont mind, at least the Apple TV 4K does atmos hehe, hopefully the shield catches up, right now i use shield strictly for local files with Atmos

referring with the ATV4K as its currently the only one that can do stream Netflix Atmos...

agree with what's appearing on your Onkyo AVR.  however they did it with the Atmos metadata embedding with the 6ch audio bed (Dolby Digital +), it does appear as Atmos and heights channel is properly fed, whenever needed.  that's why I said "ang galing na talaga ng audio codec tech ngayon!"  ^-^