Author Topic: Soundbar Killers 2.1ch Amps  (Read 1703 times)

Offline LoBudget

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Keep low, move fast...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Soundbar Killers 2.1ch Amps
« on: Sep 21, 2018 at 03:11 PM »
Hello.

I dint see a thread specifically talking about 2.1ch Amps so I thought I'd start one.

1) Does anyone have experience with things like FX Audio D802, SMSL Q5 Pro, SMSL AD13, SMSL AD18, and other 2.0/.1 ch amps? Please share your experience

2) Where can these be bought locally? Or are we stuck to ordering them from overseas, at this time?

Based on reviews these are better than soundbars (at least in the stereo or 2.1 space), since they allow flexibility to upgrade the speakers and subs at a later time. They also allow for better speaker placement with a similar or smaller footprint. I think they are a good started for home theater audio and music since the amps wont really break the bank compared to full sized options.

« Last Edit: Sep 21, 2018 at 04:30 PM by LoBudget »

Offline czarsky

• Trade Count: (+47)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
Re: Soundbar Killers 2.1ch Amps
« Reply #1 on: Sep 21, 2018 at 05:41 PM »
You can actually see those amps sold here before . . . but since they are also  available in LZD at lower cost, parang wala ng nagparating ulit
thanks!
czarsky

Offline raptor

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Manila Tifosi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 589
« Reply #2 on: Sep 21, 2018 at 06:45 PM »
You can actually see those amps sold here before . . . but since they are also  available in LZD at lower cost, parang wala ng nagparating ulit

yup, there were sellers here before on those type of amps ... I owned a couple, Dayton and NuForce, and paired those with Dali and AAudio bookshelf speakers ... the ones I owned are only 2.0 channels ... I would say that if the purpose is for music listening, those are the way to go - really cost efficient and high end performance ... you'll be surprised how good those small amps perform ... I would only recommend a soundbar if you're using it more on watching movies - I'm referring to those that can simulate surround
Marantz NR1200, MartinLogan Motion 20 digital audio setup, and Sony A80J

Offline yapoy86

• Trade Count: (+57)
  • Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Sep 21, 2018 at 06:48 PM »
I have the FX D802C. Nice sounding amp. Detailed na din ang sound.  Sa office cubicle ko gamit.. malakas pero hindi nakakabingi at hindi irritating yung sound nya..

I have 3units D802c.. yung isa nasira due to my stupidity.. hehe

Offline jerix

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • got no golden ears...just loving music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #4 on: Sep 24, 2018 at 08:58 AM »
Are you guys referring only to these 20k + soundbars in the market? How about these 5k units are they good?
Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II

Offline LoBudget

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Keep low, move fast...
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Oct 05, 2018 at 09:44 PM »
I got the SMSL AD18 and for me it is worth it. Brought my old speakers back to life for cheap. And by old I mean havent used them in over a decade and the wharfedales are still good... though on of the floorstanders tweeters is blow. Not sure if I want to buy new speakers or just get it repaired. The bookshelf wharfedales are still rocking.

@jerix - There are those that sing the praises of having a real 2.0 or 2.1 system compared to a soundbar. I get what they are saying as the separation from a legit pair of speakers you can place individually is better than any soundbar i've heard. Also, you can upgrade from separates. Best of all, you can get one of these cost effective AMPs then bring it to a speaker shop and choose the one that best suits your ears for the price range you have.

Offline lop

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #6 on: Nov 20, 2018 at 05:14 PM »
I have a Q5 Pro, ordered from Massdrop before it became available in LZD. It was a great update from the first T-amp I was using with my bookshelves (Mordaunt Short MS302) which was a 30 wpc amp from Stellar Labs. Ordered the Q5 Pro for the remote and the sub out, which I connected to a MS Carnival 9 sub.

The Q5 Pro volume goes all the way to 50 IIRC, but I normally have it at 17-18 and it's loud enough for my room. Never had to go past 35 for those "I'm all alone and can crank the volume up" sessions. lol

Offline accastil

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • DVD Guru
  • music and me
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #7 on: Dec 11, 2018 at 03:11 PM »
it really boils down to what you want to achieve. in both cases, whether itd be 2ch or soundbar, no matter how good the SQ is, the surrounding effect will not satisfy you if that is what you want to achieve.

conversely, if its SQ that you are looking for, attaining the same on a 5.1ch will be much much much more expensive though the surrounding effect of a very cheap system is hard to beat if its surrounding effect that you want to achieve over SQ.

so, either you pick 1 poison or both. picking both could mean financial suicide for many :)….hehe.
im allan - 09178087173

Offline accastil

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • DVD Guru
  • music and me
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #8 on: Dec 11, 2018 at 03:14 PM »
for practicality, you may want to have a separate audio-only system apart from the HT surround sound system so you can separate the criteria hence optimize selectively......usually cheaper that way.

goodluck and enjoy!
im allan - 09178087173