Author Topic: Advice on getting Onkyo TX-SR806 fixed or buy a new one  (Read 595 times)

Offline biggus_dickus

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Advice on getting Onkyo TX-SR806 fixed or buy a new one
« on: Jul 14, 2019 at 01:11 PM »
Hi guys,

My older Onkyo TX-SR806 recently conked out, having no power issues.  Sometimes it will turn on, but after less than 1 minute, it will shut off. And during the time it was on, no sound was coming out.  I am being charged 5K to fix it, but I think that's pretty steep.  I'm wondering if I should just buy a new one.

TBH, the Onkyo didn't really do it for me when it was working.  Parang bitin ako.  Plus the legendary Onkyo heat it produces.  To those na unfamiliar with this model, it's actually pretty good -- 7.1 THX2 certified.  Pero not 4K yet.  HDMI 1.2 I think.
I was using this with a 1080p projector so I really didn't mind the lack of 4K, my other TV's a 4K na, so it would have been nice to be able to use this with those as well.

I'm considering the Denon AVR-2500H, but I'm not sure if I should just get an Atmos setup na rin para sagad na, with at least another .2 speaker setup.  I currently have a 7.1 arrangement in my home theater room.

So what do you think guys?  Fix it or time for an upgrade na rin tutal madami nang tech na lumabas like 4K and Atmos?

What other models can you recommend?  I need at least 120W per channel btw to drive my speakers.

Offline mhacman

• Trade Count: (+57)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 129
Re: Advice on getting Onkyo TX-SR806 fixed or buy a new one
« Reply #1 on: Jul 15, 2019 at 01:12 AM »
get the x2500 (2018) at a lower discounted cash price if you could source one.  compare as well the new features, if any, with a Denon x2600 (2019).  see if you'd need its extra features as per your current and future needs.

the reason I advise to go with a new one is possibly the reason that you have already enjoyed (or the lack of it) an older tech for quite some time.  perhaps it's a good opportunity to try new technology now too.  and you'll see whether you might find a benefit from them.  if skeptical, you may still find a lower model with lesser power or feature...

good luck and hope you'll find one most beneficial with your HT room =)

Offline biggus_dickus

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: Jul 15, 2019 at 05:47 PM »
Thanks.  The 2600x won't be coming out until the end of the year.  At that point the price will be much higher.  And I'm looking at the differences between 2500x and 2600x and it seems like only the Height Virtualization feature is missing from the 2500x.  I'm not too concerned about this though.

Yah, I see your point na baka it's time for me to experience different technologies naman.  Most likely I'll just get the 2500x, hopefully soon.

Offline mhacman

• Trade Count: (+57)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 129
« Reply #3 on: Jul 15, 2019 at 09:39 PM »
sir, do you have a 7.1 speaker arranged of your HT room na pala?  if yes, then you are already used to hearing the FL+C+FR+SL+SR+RSR+RSL (rear surround left + rear surround right) audio effects when source is either TrueHD or DTSHD-MA. awesome surround bed effects, di ba?

with virtual height up-mixers (Dolby Height Virtualization or DTS Virtual X) when movie audio source is Dolby Atmos or DTS:X, respectively, and you will re-use the same 7.1 speaker arrangements (without actual height speakers), then you will benefit from these audio upmixers to "virtually hear" sounds above you.  this will be more awesome surround bed + virtual height effects.

the absence of physical height speakers will give you virtualized heights like when there are audio coming from above (airplanes/helicopters, thunders, rains, etc.), you will actually hear them like they are really coming from above. 

x2500 or x2600 are both native 7.1ch amplification anyway.  so if you'll re-use your 7.1 speaker arrangement/configuration, you will benefit more from x2600's virtual height upmixers -- that is, without moving your rear surround speakers on top of you.  with x2500, you will be forced to move your rear surround speakers and configure it as height speakers -- to maximize with the ATMOS/DTS:X immersive surround effects ("sound all-around you", including above and below daw) hehe

at least you have 2 options for each model:

Denon x2500
- move your rear surround pair above you and set them up as height speakers.  you will enjoy 5.1 audio bed effects + 2ch height effects
or
- retain the same 7.1 arrangement and you won't have actual height speakers.  you'll enjoy the usual 7.1ch audio bed effects na nakasanayan mo na BUT without height effects.

Denon x2600
- move your rear surround pair above you and set them up as height speakers.  you will enjoy 5.1 audio bed effects + 2ch height effects
or
- retain the same 7.1 arrangement and still able to maximize "sound all-around you", including above and below kahit "virtual lang" using the virtual upmixers.  in this case. you'll enjoy the usual 7.1ch audio bed effects na nakasanayan mo na + virtual height effects.

when you have ATMOS/DTS:X sources, it would be best if you have actual height speakers set up. 7 narin naman na speakers mo eh, lipat mo nalang sa taas yung 2