Author Topic: On buying from Amazon.com Marketplace Sellers  (Read 5630 times)

Offline Y_meeh

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Addict
  • I want adventure in the great wide somewhere-belle
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
On buying from Amazon.com Marketplace Sellers
« on: Jun 08, 2004 at 11:19 PM »
(modz i know discussion of p*rcy is not allowed but i'm just really curious about this and i'm not even sure if this is)

I was searching for a sealed copy of beauty and the beast se from amazon.com and tried their marketplace.

here are a few comments on items that i found:

Comments:

DVD is Region Free version in excellent condition in case with cover art (different than pictured) but only one disc and no chapter insert.

Brand new and sealed, single DVD set (Special Edition). Free upgrade to first-class shipping. (chapter insert is not included)

brand new and hard to find.I am just starting out so you save,This is not the platinum edtion.Everything i list will be in stock and ready to go.Will upgrade to first class free.

My questions are:
is/was there a single disc edition of Beauty and the Beast?
will amazon make a refund for items that are not the real thing?
has anyone tried to buy items used items from amazon?

« Last Edit: Jun 09, 2004 at 11:57 AM by DVDiva »
Lyf seems a succession of busy nothings - Austen

Offline hemisphere

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • On the Lot!
  • Liked:
Re: On buying from Amazon.com Sellers
« Reply #1 on: Jun 09, 2004 at 12:21 AM »
daming question ni ms ymeeh...

well during my exploratory days looking for the best but cheapest dvds.. i have tried buying from this marketplace... there would be chances that i get the best mint"est" products, good packaging, fast shipping, and great communication. also, there are times, and i guess I am not alone here... that  products would be bootleg and very different as described. and of course the seller would not answer emails at all... (buti pa sa pinoydvd)

so take your chance and find which witch(which) is which... or stay on the safe side...

;)

My questions are:
is/was there a single disc edition of Beauty and the Beast?
will amazon make a refund for items that are not the real thing?
has anyone tried to buy items used items from amazon?

1) No single edition of beauty and the beast (r1 or r2)... r2 btw has a better box package.. but OOP.
2) yes amazon will issue a refund if the seller's claims are different from the product itself.. (be careful of safe words used by sellers).  buyers are allowed only 3 lifetime chances to refund for marketplace transactions.  have to wait for long agonizing processes.. but successful and buyer leaning amazon decisions.
3) never bought any used item because i am worried it's bootleg or has been damaged but falsely advertised...

hope the above details helped...

psstt... ok na ba dvds ko 4 nxt wk ordering?? tx tx. tnx.
:)

Offline DVDiva

• Kapitan
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Jun 09, 2004 at 07:29 AM »
You can report those items to Amazon so they can be removed from the Marketplace. I'm sure Amazon will be grateful that you informed them about it. :)

Go to this page: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/browse/-/560712
and click on the yellow "E-mail us" button on the bottom of the page.
On the form, select "Report an Intellectual Property Violation".
« Last Edit: Jun 09, 2004 at 07:29 AM by DVDiva »

Offline Y_meeh

• DVD Addict
  • I want adventure in the great wide somewhere-belle
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Jun 09, 2004 at 08:20 AM »
i will report them talaga. hindi sa nagpapakarighteous ako... its just that willing na nga yung other people to spend money tapos meron pa ring ganito passing off what they've got as the real thing... hay...
Lyf seems a succession of busy nothings - Austen

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Re: On buying from Amazon.com Marketplace Sellers
« Reply #4 on: Jun 14, 2004 at 08:13 PM »
Amazon marketplace sellers are like the counterpart of ebay sellers. My friend from Boston warned me not to buy from these sellers on amazon.

He received bootleg dvds instead of the real ones that he bought from a reputable marketplace amazon seller. Its taking the risk since you cannot inspect the dvds although feedback are posted on the site.

Just use the real amazon.com store...ms. Y_meeh.  :)
« Last Edit: Jun 14, 2004 at 08:15 PM by keating »

Offline DVDiva

• Kapitan
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Jun 14, 2004 at 08:30 PM »
I've bought from Amazon Marketplace sellers lots of times. I only encountered a problem once, wherein the seller sent me VHS tapes instead of DVDs (the horror!). When I complained, the seller didn't respond. But the good thing about Amazon Marketplace as compared to ebay, is that you're guaranteed by Amazon itself. So when I reported it to Amazon, they issued me a full refund. They took the responsibility of running after the seller, whereas on ebay, it's up to you to track him down (I think).

Offline AICRAG

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • DVD Addict
  • Do unto others before they do unto you
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Jun 15, 2004 at 08:44 AM »
bought audio cds 3 times.....la namang really bad experience....I normally try to send e-mail first to check speed of sellers response and verify accuracy of cd details....check other user feedback
1 seller was honest but bad packaging.....cd case was severely cracked...loose disc and might have caused a few scratches....
1 seller did not state the item was a "promo" copy...(with an imprint in the insert that it is a promo copy)(my fault din cause I didn't send e-mail in excitement he!he!)
1 seller did not state the cd has a notch on the case spine... )(my fault din cause I didn't send e-mail in excitement he!he!- new cd for $4.75)

iyong mga di sumasagot sa mails di ko binibilhan...(warning signs baga)

experience tells me to send mails first, check other user feedback....and control your excitement he!he!
Toshiba 55XL700,Dali Ikon 6,Vokal2 MKII,Cayin CD-50T,Ecosse 2.3,IXOS Coax, HK AVR340, NAD 320BEE

Offline hemisphere

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • On the Lot!
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Jun 19, 2004 at 05:10 PM »
bought audio cds 3 times.....la namang really bad experience....I normally try to send e-mail first to check speed of sellers response and verify accuracy of cd details....check other user feedback
1 seller was honest but bad packaging.....cd case was severely cracked...loose disc and might have caused a few scratches....
1 seller did not state the item was a "promo" copy...(with an imprint in the insert that it is a promo copy)(my fault din cause I didn't send e-mail in excitement he!he!)
1 seller did not state the cd has a notch on the case spine... )(my fault din cause I didn't send e-mail in excitement he!he!- new cd for $4.75)

iyong mga di sumasagot sa mails di ko binibilhan...(warning signs baga)

experience tells me to send mails first, check other user feedback....and control your excitement he!he!

vey sensible.. parehas pala tayo ng style... only 1 amazon seller dispute so far.. seller immediately emailed me.. so i assumed they are selling legits.. and then i saw the feedback after checkout.. omigas!!!

amazon refunded my money.. thank heavens... never got the dvds...

;)

Offline DVDiva

• Kapitan
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Jun 24, 2004 at 11:54 AM »
I got this at the Amazon Marketplace recently for only one cent!! :D

Brand new and sealed :)  Here's the link:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00007H012/ref=ase_pinoydvd-20
« Last Edit: Sep 01, 2005 at 07:33 AM by DVDiva »

Offline hemisphere

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • On the Lot!
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Jun 24, 2004 at 05:19 PM »
nice one dvdiva..

last month , also got for only 0.01 cent the OOP CD soundtracks of The Prince of Egypt. Three albums for 0.01 cent. galing! shipping is $10.50 (JAC) plus 4 dollars.

di pa rin masama.. nice deal.. :)

Offline cherubrock

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • DVD Addict
  • use soap
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Sep 21, 2004 at 12:44 AM »
How do you guys go about shopping from the Marketplace at Amazon? According to the help page, you can only buy from the marketplace if you're in one of the countries covered by Amazon payments. the Philippines, unfortunately, isn't listed as one of them  :(. Also, does the seller ship it via USPS (or whatever courier he specifies) directly to you? Please share your experiences and expertise..  ;D

Offline groucho

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Sep 21, 2004 at 08:08 PM »
cherubrock,

I did see that this forlorn, forsaken country of ours is not listed among those covered by Amazon Marketplace Sellers.  But I've been buying from Amazon and Marketplace sellers for some years now, and I haven't had any problems paying with my Citibank Manila-issued Mastercard.  Maybe it's because I have been a consistent Amazon customer for quite a while now.

Some sellers are willing to ship worldwide.  Some don't.  So, you'll have to ask them.

I do have a question which I haven't found the answer to:  what is the difference between Amazon Marketplace and Amazon zShops?

Offline krets pulpol

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • what's your major malfunction numb nuts!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1582
« Reply #12 on: Sep 21, 2004 at 08:44 PM »
amazon's marketplace sellers are just vendors (most small-time) while zshops are trusted retailers and indepent third-party sellers who offer things available in amazon online store or many things amazon does not.
what?! are you talkin' to me!!!

Offline cherubrock

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • DVD Addict
  • use soap
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Sep 21, 2004 at 09:10 PM »
Thanks groucho, I guess I'll have to think twice and get more inputs from other members before making an informed decision about this matter.. But then again, sometimes the temptation to throw caution to the wind for the sake of them dvds is just too great..  >:D

Ah, indeed patience is a virtue..  ;D

Offline hemisphere

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • On the Lot!
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Sep 22, 2004 at 12:01 AM »
just make sure cherubrock to email the sellers first.. the one who usually responds can be trusted.. but not always the rule of thumb..

i  was looking for meet joe black recently and was surprised to see a seller selling it for less than 20 US dollars.. when i emailed the seller, she told me, it was a re-packed.. whoa... good thing he's an honest man...  saved me moneys..

;)

Offline groucho

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Oct 29, 2004 at 06:43 PM »
I do have a problem regarding an Amazon Marketplace seller.  I hope somebody would be able to give me some advice.

I have a friend who stayed in New York City for a month and a half.  He will be coming back to Manila on November 4, 2004.  Last October 4, I decided to buy a couple of "Like New" used audio CDs from an Amazon Marketplace seller and had the items sent to his NY address so that he could bring them home with him.  (A few days later, I again bought a couple of other CDs from another seller.)  I was told by the seller (as confirmed by my logging in to his website) that this first purchase of mine was shipped October 6th.

The other stuff that I had bought from other Marketplace sellers have since arrived at my friend's NYC apartment.  However, my original October 4 purchase apparently has still not arrived.  It is already October 29, and yet, it seems that USPS has been very sluggish in delivering the package.

I have checked with the seller and he quickly gave a reply stating that as per their records, the package containing two CDs was indeed mailed out via USPS last October 6.  The seller, though, was gracious enough to ask that he be informed right away if the package does not arrive by week's end.  (I actually do not know for what reason.)

In any case, here's my dilemma:  Let's first strike out the possibility that my friend will have a neighbor who can receive the package for him even after my friend leaves for Manila (that's because it would be too much already to ask him the favor of following up on the package after he has left NYC.  So, what would my options be should this package not arrive by the time my friend comes back to the Philippines?

1.  Do I get in touch with the seller directly and tell him that the package did not arrive?  If I do so, what likely course of action would a Marketplace Vendor do?  Would he replace the goods?

2.  Or do I report the seller to Amazon?  After all, Amazon does have a guarantee against this kind of situation?
And if I do report to Amazon, would course of action would Amazon take?

I would like to think that the seller was being sincere and helpful by replying to my letter to him and by looking up his records to find out that my package was indeed mailed last October 6.  Which makes me think further that the seller meant a lot of goodwill.  Assuming that he did mail the package in early October, then it would not be his fault that the package still has not arrived.  Thus, I hesitate to report him right away to Amazon.  But when I do think about the problem, I think that I have a better chance of getting similar products or at least get a refund if I reported this to Amazon because Amazon does have a guarantee.

I hope somebody can offer me some advice.  Maybe somebody out there in pinoydvd has encountered the same kind of problem.  I intend to wait it out until November 3 (after all, hindi naman holiday and November 1 sa America), after which I will either write back the seller or report the matter to Amazon.

Please advise.

Offline hemisphere

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • On the Lot!
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Oct 29, 2004 at 09:12 PM »
sorry to hear the trouble you have experienced with Amazon marketplace sellers.

1) if the seller indeed shipped the package, i would advice to get the delivery confirmation number or the insurance receipt as proof of shipment. if shipped via media mail, expect late deliveries. i had experienced a one month delivery of package within NY before. 

2) have you checked the feedback ratings of the seller?

8)

Offline groucho

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Oct 30, 2004 at 10:01 AM »
hem, the discs were sent via Media Mail, so there is no tracking number.  And I did check the feedback ratings of the seller.  In fact, that was one of the major considerations in the decision to buy from him/them.

Is a one month delivery time via Media Mail not unusual?  Delivery is supposed to be a to NYC address.  Parang Philpost din pala sila, assuming that the vendor did ship on October 6.

But what should I do should my friend have to leave already and fly back to Manila with the packages not having arrived yet?

Offline hemisphere

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • On the Lot!
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Nov 01, 2004 at 10:21 PM »
groucho, 1 month is not so unusual unless of course if you are talking about efficiencies. there are occurences that packages were delivered in more than a month duration.  mine was delivered from one town to another for 6 weeks. same state. NY.

the only viable way to get your money's worth (and still sleep at night) is to refuse receipt of the package so it would be returned to the sender. Then report to  Amazon for the immediate processing of your refund. :)

Offline groucho

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Nov 02, 2004 at 06:22 PM »
It's actually a relief that my problem is not unique.  I just did not think that this would happen in the US, with the USPS, and in New York pa man din.  Nice to know that hindi ako nag-iisa.

Sayang nga, eh.  While I am hopeful that the package comes before November 5, I'm beginning to seriously doubt it will.  My friend, who will becoming back to Manila on the evening of that day, will just have to "make bilin" with a neighbor to receive the package for safekeeping until such time next year when it can be retrieved, assuming that it ever gets delivered.  Christmas album pa man din 'yung isa sa mga CD sa package.  Well, there's always next Christmas, I suppose.

In effect, I am willing to wait it out in the hope that the package does arrive.  Of course, I still have the options to either write the vendor or file a complaint with Amazon.

Please tell me now that I am waiting it out: how long a time frame should I wait before I consider these other options?  Six weeks?  Two months?  What would be a reasonable period of time?

Offline hemisphere

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • On the Lot!
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Nov 02, 2004 at 09:00 PM »
In effect, I am willing to wait it out in the hope that the package does arrive.  Of course, I still have the options to either write the vendor or file a complaint with Amazon.

Please tell me now that I am waiting it out: how long a time frame should I wait before I consider these other options?  Six weeks?  Two months?  What would be a reasonable period of time?

file a complaint if the shipment does not arrive on or before the estimate shipping date. but you have to return the package para di malugi ang seller..

:)

btw, who is this seller?   ::)

Offline groucho

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Nov 02, 2004 at 10:14 PM »
hem, having to return the package to the seller may be a little more complicated than you think, considering that my friend will no longer be in NYC by the time the package should arrive after November 5.  That is why I am willing to wait it out for a while.

I have a gut feeling that the package is stuck with USPS and that the vendor has nothing to do with the delay.  Of course I may be wrong.  After all, it is just a gut feeling.  But in fairness to the seller, he did reply immediately to my query about the status of my purchase.  He did claim that it was mailed one day after it was ordered.  He did offer to do something about it should the package not arrive by the end of October.  So, please forgive me if I hesitate to give the name of the vendor because doing so may just prejudice him unnecessarily.  (However, should I ever find out that he was at fault for this delay, then I shall report it immediatley in this thread.)

Offline hemisphere

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • On the Lot!
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Nov 03, 2004 at 11:58 AM »
refusal is the key. tell your friend or his friend's friend to refuse the package when it arrives. as per USPS policy, it would automatically be returned to the sender.

the reason i was hoping that you would share the name of the seller is some members might have transacted with his/her store and may provide specific builds about his/her selling pattern. no prejudice intended.

anyhow, wish you all the luck.

8)
« Last Edit: Nov 03, 2004 at 12:07 PM by hemisphere1234 »

Offline groucho

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Nov 03, 2004 at 06:31 PM »
hemisphere, let's wait a while.  I'll post the name of the vendor after this thing is resolved, positively or otherwise.

Offline groucho

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Nov 10, 2004 at 08:18 PM »
I thought I'd give anybody who was interested an update on my Marketplace problem.

My friend finally had to leave for Manila from NYC.  The package did not arrive.  Although he left last November 5, I waited until the weekend before I wrote the seller.  So, last November 8, I wrote the seller to tell him that his package still had not arrived at the shipping address despite the fact that it was one whole month from the time of supposed shipment.

The seller wrote back promptly the next day and gave me a no-nonsense, no frills refund, with a short apology for the inconvenience.  On the same day, Amazon sent me a confirmation of the refund on my Mastercard.

I still have one pending transaction with this seller (done a few days after the first purchase), so I still can't give away the name.

Offline hemisphere

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • On the Lot!
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Nov 10, 2004 at 08:25 PM »
nice to know you got your refund..   :D

but who is this seller bro? friendships are strengthened by shared experiences. spill the beans.. :)  ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)
« Last Edit: Nov 10, 2004 at 09:19 PM by hemisphere1234 »

Offline groucho

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Nov 11, 2004 at 01:26 PM »

but who is this seller bro? friendships are strengthened by shared experiences. spill the beans.. :) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

:-X  hem, everything comes to he who waits.  Patience, my friend.

Offline groucho

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Jan 31, 2005 at 02:48 PM »
Thought I'd share with you guys another experience.

Last October 26, 2004, I bought a second-hand audio CD from an Amazon Marketplace Merchant, and had it sent to an address in New City, NY.  It was meant to be a gift for a friend of mine.  This friend of mine never acknowledged receipt of the CD because she did not know that it was coming.  'Yun pala, the CD never arrived.  All the while, I had thought that she just forgot to send her thanks to me.  That much I found out when I talked to her just last Saturday.

In any case, I emailed the seller to explain my predicament and wondered whether I could be able to redeem my expense (considering that I had already paid for my credit card bill which contained this transaction).  He actually replied immediately and offered to give me a full refund.  However, he followed it up with another letter that said that he would not be able to refund me via the Amazon system because Amazon would only allow 90 days grace period after the transaction for any refunds to take place.  The seller was such a gentleman because when he learned that he could not refund me via Amazon, he offered to pay me by check or international money order.  (Of course, the proof of the pudding is in the eating.....that I probably should not thank the seller just yet until I do receive the check).

But the point that I would like to make is that I have lost two packages that were sent by separate Amazon Merchants.  But both packages were addressed to receipients in New York.  I do a lot of transactions with Amazon Merchants and I have never lost anything else via Media Mail elsewhere in the US.  Seems to me that the USPS guys in New York are very much like our guys at PhilPost.  Nawawala ang dapat dinideliver.

As to my refund.....will update you when I do receive the check.

Addendum:  That first package I lost (also addressed to New York)?  I was given a full refund via Amazon.  And I sort of just wanted to show to myself that it wasn't the seller who was at fault, so I ordered again from him (stubborn me), but this time had it sent to my sister-in-law in Michigan.  No problems.  Prompt delivery.

Moral of the story:  Must be the post in New York.
« Last Edit: Jan 31, 2005 at 02:54 PM by groucho »

Offline wasanchez

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Sep 01, 2005 at 02:38 AM »
Hi groucho,

Could you share the name of the seller just in case I come across him/her?

Thanks  :)

Offline groucho

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Sep 01, 2005 at 09:51 AM »
The name of the Marketplace seller who was gracious enough to give me a full refund is "wherehouse."  He's the one from whom I ordered again.  This time, his shipment was delivered.  I give him two thumbs up for being professional.

And just in case anybody is interested to know, while the other seller I was talking about promised me a refund via a personal check, the check never arrived.  I didn't bother to write to him again to complain.  He deserves to burn for not fulfilling on his promise.  I'd put his name down on this thread, but I'm too decent for that.