Author Topic: Most memorable Brocka scene  (Read 3605 times)

Offline commentary

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Most memorable Brocka scene
« on: Jun 22, 2004 at 04:14 AM »
What is the most memorable scene from a Lino Brocka film?

There are so many to choose from!

Personally, one of those I'd put near the top of the list is the opening abortion sequence of Tinimbang Ka.  That was a very powerful scene.
« Last Edit: Jun 22, 2004 at 04:17 AM by commentary »

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
Re: Most memorable Brocka scene
« Reply #1 on: Jun 22, 2004 at 06:25 AM »
i have several favorite scenes from Brocka movies... the one that tops my list would be the Funeral Scene from Bona (1980), the Hayup... hayup Scene from Ina Ka Ng Anak Mo (1979),  the Bangin Scene from Nakaw Na Pag-Ibig (1980) & the scene where Julio Madiaga (Bembol Roco) saw Ligaya (Hilda Koronel) in front of the church in Maynila Sa Mga Kuko Ng Liwanag (1975)... this scene affects me everytime i watch the movie.

Offline mykoleo

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Jun 22, 2004 at 02:19 PM »
Hair-raising are these Brocka scenes:

1) From MAYNILA SA MGA KUKO NG LIWANAG, Bembol Roco staring scared and helpless at the mob out to kill him at the film's end

2) From INSIANG, the murder of Ruel Vernal where the mirror serves as the only unflinching witness to the woebegone menage-a-trois

3) From BONA, Nora Aunor's madness unravelling against the smoke of boiling water. (although I haven't seen the film in its entirety, napanood ko minsan ang eksenang ito sa TV. unforgettable!)

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Jun 23, 2004 at 12:59 PM »
Rez Cortez raping Lorna T. infront of Christopher de Leon in Kislap sa Dilim because it was so painfully awful (and badly done).

The ending of Maynila sa Kuko ng Liwanag where Julio Madriaga is cornered.

The construction worker falling of the building also in Maynila sa Kuko ng Liwanag.

Mona Lisa stabbing Ruel Bernal in   Insiang.

The utterly sad and depressing end of Bayan Ko: Kapit sa Patalim

There's a whole lot more, actually, although I have yet to see Bona or Ina ka ...

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm afraid of the quiet man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #4 on: Jun 24, 2004 at 08:37 AM »
Bembol Roco's face frozen in a scream in Maynila sa Mga Kuko ng Liwanag.

The streets of Manila, in the silent opening sequence of the same film.

Mona Lisa having to endure Hilda's reproachful face as she squats to urinate in Insiang.

Hilda in the same movie, threatening to iron out Mona Lisa's face.

Mario O'Hara, holding out a rattle, luring Lolita Rodriguez away in Tinimbang Ka Ngunit Kulang.

Gina Alajar holding Philip Salvador in her arms while photographers click away in Bayan Ko.

Bembol Roco firing straight into the priest's face in Orapronobis.

Lolita Rodriguez, finally confronting Mary Walters in the Bukas, Madilim, Bukas segment of Tatlo, Dalawa, Isa.
« Last Edit: Jun 24, 2004 at 09:18 AM by Noel_Vera »

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Jun 24, 2004 at 11:59 AM »
Lolita Rodriguez, finally confronting Mary Walters in the Bukas, Madilim, Bukas segment of Tatlo, Dalawa, Isa.

Yeah, forgot bout that one...

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Jan 12, 2005 at 08:32 PM »
My choice would be the opening scene in MAYNILA SA MGA KUKO NG LIWANAG.

Dina Bonnevie's revelation during the political rally exposing the cruelty of Eddie Garcia in GUMAPANG KA SA LUSAK.

Offline xage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Suspended
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Jan 14, 2005 at 10:47 PM »
Most Memorable Scene to me when it comes to Lino Brocka was not the films he made but how dumb he end up his life... Yes, it was a car accident but geezz he died with his surviving Boytoy starlet back then....
[img width=163 height=49]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b221/x

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm afraid of the quiet man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #8 on: Jan 15, 2005 at 02:13 PM »
Most Memorable Scene to me when it comes to Lino Brocka was not the films he made but how dumb he end up his life... Yes, it was a car accident but geezz he died with his surviving Boytoy starlet back then....

There's a story going around that on the last night of his life, Lino entered a nightclub where a well-known singer was performing. He angered one of the clients there--a military man who didn't like his movies--and left with his companion. When the car crash happened--and a second car was reporteldy involved, he was picked up still alive and the companion left to fend for himself. The companion saw him later at the emergency room, dead.

The story that his companion performed oral sex on him, causing the crash--who knows? The power of marketing, of media spin. That's why Hollywood movies are shown all over the world, and why idiots look up to the Oscars. Marketing and media spin.  They weren't satisfied with just killing him, they had to disgrace him as well.
« Last Edit: Jan 15, 2005 at 04:12 PM by Noel_Vera »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Jan 15, 2005 at 02:31 PM »
Yeah sometimes Noel the power of media destroy the credibility of a person even though he did good things and the people only noticed tha bad ones. Its a pity that a tragic accident will kill this great National Artist who put us our country on the world map during the 70's and 80's.

Offline renato

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Feb 01, 2005 at 03:48 PM »
I like the scene in Ang Tatay kong Nanay wherein Dolphy scolds Nino Muhlach after he caught him putting on  some make-up.

There's also this scene in Jaguar wherein Philip Salvador runs away after killing a man.

Hi commentary, can we make this "The Lino Brocka Thread"?

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Feb 05, 2006 at 05:41 PM »
GUMISING KA, MARUJA (Lino Brocka)

The great master filmmaker Lino Brocka directed two horror tv shows back in the early 70's MALIKMATA & ANINO. His foray into the horror genre is the gothic love story GUMISING KA, MARUJA. Penned by Tony Perez who makes a living by hunting ghosts nowadays forming an organization called QUESTORS and also written Brocka's sexiest film to date INIT. The result was a mixed up of some narrative flaws with impeccable design by Mel Chionglo & outstanding cinematography and great haunting musical score by Ernani Cuenco.

The opening scene narrates the story of Maruja Isabel y Mira born 1872 in love with Gabriel a poor peasant but bethrothed by her elders to Rodrigo Velasquez, captain of the civil guard. She was reincarnated in the person of Nina Concepcion,  (Susan Roces) actress and producer. Most of the scenes take place in an old ancestral mansion house as Roces plans to shoot a film about the life of Maruja despite several warnings that the place was haunted. Her crew started to be missing one by one. Brocka's films are all character driven here he gets fine performances from his leads particularly Roces specially when screaming, Philip Salvador as Marco during the present times and Rodrigo during the past. Add some ensemble fine actors like Mario O'Hara, Laurice Guillen, Mary Walter & Manny Ojeda. The problem with Brocka is he doesn't resort to special effects and he let the haunted ancestral house stand by itself and it certainly succeeds! Is it scary, no! But there are a few moments when you feel that your spine is chilling just by peeping inside the house! Its more of a psychological horror. What's missing here are morbid humors that you can find in those Hitchcock thrillers but the music will continue to haunt you just like a Bernard Herrman score.

Pinoy horror movies were the main staple during the 70's, some are B-movies, but this one is a cut above the rest, technically outstanding that will stand the test of time. I just wish that the master print is still in fine shape or better remastered and clean so that the future generation will still look up to it.

« Last Edit: Feb 07, 2006 at 12:35 PM by keating »