Author Topic: Sonus Faber  (Read 10159 times)

Offline Windrider

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Sonus Faber
« on: Feb 10, 2004 at 10:06 AM »
Guys, I need help and suggestions. My uncle wants to upgrade his home theater system. Kasi almost all of his equipment is analogue pa. He's got Sonus Faber for his left and right front speakers, Tannoy for his surround speakers and chass-club for his center speakers. He wants to upgrade his amplfier (bryston is the brand) to an A/V receiver. We went to an a/v store in ATC and he was eyeing an Onkyo 501. Kaso the salesman said that the onkyo will not be able to drive the sonus faber. The sound will be bright DAW. Can you suggest an a/v receiver that can drive this speakers. Am really sorry, pero di ko alam ang impedance noong Sonus eh. Thank you very much for the suggestions.

Offline audio_tyro

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
Re:Sonus Faber
« Reply #1 on: Feb 10, 2004 at 10:34 AM »
Hi Pare, pls. indicate the exact model of the Sonus faber, then it'll be quite easy to help you. Thanks.

Offline Windrider

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Feb 10, 2004 at 10:52 AM »
Sir audio_tyro, the model of the Sonus Faber is Minuetto with a nominal impedance of 8 ohms.

Offline v0elker

• Collector
  • They say jump and you say how high
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Feb 10, 2004 at 11:19 AM »
windrider: diba you have both the NAD T752 and T762? why don't you bring one of your av receivers to your uncle's place to try 'em out? then maybe you can sell him either of the two so you can buy the latest model for yourself hehehe

Offline iceman90a

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Guru
  • picture this!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Feb 10, 2004 at 11:27 AM »
from wiredstate -

Quote from: Hyperion
The Minuetto does not look like the Concertino. It has a chunkier, wider but shallower cabinet with more walnut content and less leatherette.

Here's the specs:

System: 2-way ported speaker
Drivers: 6 1/2-in woofer, 1-in dome tweeter
Anechoic Frequency Response: 60 Hz to 20 kHz +- 3 dB
Crossover Frequency: 2.2 kHz.
System Sensitivity SPL @1W/1M: 87 dB
Recommended Minimum Amplifier Power, Watts per Channel: 30 W
Impedance, Nominal/Minimum: 6/4 Ohms
Dimensions, to the nearest inches: 12" x 9" x 8"
Weight, pounds each: 26 lbs.

Here's a picture:

I can email you a better colored picture if you want.

The ST-70 should have no problem driving it. However it is already a warm and mellow sounding speaker and pairing it with ST70 might sound too dull. I would prefer listening to the Minuetto with livelier and more dynamic sounding amplifiers. It will probably sound great with a CJ MV55.

The Minuetto used to cost only around P35,000 or so around 1995 even though it listed at US$1500. Still, it is a huge bargain at P30,000 nowadays. It would be hard to find something as refined, as involving and as romantic as the Minuettos at this price nowadays.

I personally prefer the Concertino/Home to the Minuetto though because the tinos are livelier, quicker and more versatile. And naturally there are also people who prefer the Minuetto over the Concertino/Home because they are more fullbodied, warmer, and less brash in the highs and more friendly with most components and cabling.

read more here:

http://www.wiredstate.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2147&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=
money is best spent

Offline Windrider

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Feb 10, 2004 at 11:40 AM »
hehehehehehehe, thats a good idea v0elker. Kaso ang kinatatakot ko eh baka magustuhan at di na ipasoli, hahahahahahahaha. Wala pa man din nang stock na NAD T752. As for the NAD T762, wala na ata noon, NAD T763 na ang lumalabas eh. Will try that suggestion of yours.

Offline v0elker

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Feb 10, 2004 at 12:15 PM »
windrider: yeah, the T7*3 series should be available na (at least in other countries they are)... the T753 looks like it has more in common with the T762 than the T752...

good luck dude!

Offline audio_tyro

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Feb 10, 2004 at 02:14 PM »
Sir audio_tyro, the model of the Sonus Faber is Minuetto with a nominal impedance of 8 ohms.

That Sonus faber model is very easy to drive. As Hyperion said (Wirestate link), it's the mellowest, docile and earfriendly Sonus faber ever made. I even think that the Onkyo 501 should be able to drive it. However, in order to be sure, get a receiver that is at least rated 80watts per channel (RMS), or more.

He can get a receiver that has preouts for front speakers. Then he can still use the Bryston amp connected to the receiver to power the Sonus.

Word of caution though, driving a Sonus faber Minuetto for home theater is like driving a Mercedes into a wet market. Di bagay. Sonus excels in music. For HT, it might turn out to be lacking in 'fireworks', you know- loud slam bang excitement.

Offline v0elker

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Feb 10, 2004 at 03:38 PM »
sir at: sent you pm sa ws, di na ko nagpost don sa ad, ot na eh. we look forward to hearing your sf! kahit mar na po :-D

Offline audio_tyro

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Feb 10, 2004 at 06:33 PM »
sir at: sent you pm sa ws, di na ko nagpost don sa ad, ot na eh. we look forward to hearing your sf! kahit mar na po :-D

Sure pare, pls. PM me your cellphone number so I can text you of the date/time.

Offline afterglow

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #10 on: Feb 11, 2004 at 07:42 AM »
I'd hardly call ANY receiver an upgrade to a Bryston amp.  Bryston makes GOOD stuff....just their warranty alone is impressive (20 years, transferrable).

If your uncle is pushing through with getting a receiver, I suggest getting one with pre-outs so that he can still hook up his Bryston.  Sayang naman to use the amp section of the receiver if he has a Bryston just lying around.

Offline v0elker

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Feb 12, 2004 at 09:35 AM »
thanks sir at! sent you pm!

Sure pare, pls. PM me your cellphone number so I can text you of the date/time.

Offline Windrider

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Feb 13, 2004 at 05:29 PM »
Well we tried the NAD T752 on the speakers. And all I can say was OH MY GOSH!!! hehehehehehehhehe!!! I thought that these 2 were made for each other!!! Grabe, ang galing ng tunog, buong buo. When my uncle ask me how much was the NAD T752, i told him the price. Sabi sa akin bilin na lang daw niya at his specified price. I told him no way!!! ahahahahahahahaha!!! Ngayon eh nagpapahanap sa akin ng another a/v receiver that comes close to NAD but cheaper price!!!! Pansamantala muna daw yung NAD ko sa kanya!!!! Sinasabi ko na nga ba V0elker, di pakakawalan!!!! wwwwwwaaaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! ahahahahahaha!!!! Me and my big mouth!!!!!

Offline Dracula

• DVD Addict
  • There is a choice...death or immortality....
  • Liked:
Sonus Faber Speakers
« Reply #13 on: Jul 21, 2004 at 04:42 PM »
Where can you get these? And how much?

I listened to a pair of concerto homes' and concertinos' on the recommendation of a friend here in the community.  These are real d**n fine speakers both the look and sound! :o

Although it is on the expensive side....it has that feel that they'll still be making beautiful music even when your old and grey and cradeling your grandchildren ;D

Thanks
« Last Edit: Jul 21, 2004 at 04:42 PM by dracula »

Offline levi

• Konsehal
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Sevilla and Sons Sausages
  • Liked:
Re: Sonus Faber
« Reply #14 on: Jul 21, 2004 at 11:24 PM »
Upscale Audio

Offline Dracula

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Jul 21, 2004 at 11:51 PM »
Upscale Audio

Levi

Do you have an idea about the price? (Concertino)

Offline arnel90

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Jul 22, 2004 at 12:18 PM »
i think its in the php50-55k range, and its getting higher.  you can't go wrong owning a SF, other SF owners only sell theirs because they are upgrading to a higher SF model.  :)

Offline ronjet

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 96
« Reply #17 on: Oct 05, 2005 at 02:09 AM »
bump for some Sonus Faber owner :)

updated price of the concertinos please. thanks :)

Offline Audioboy

• DVD Guru
  • "That's a matter of opinion, decide yourself"
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Oct 05, 2005 at 06:10 AM »
ask UPSCALE AUDIO.

The last time I asked about the price of Concertino Home Series speakers, they quoted me "60K+" pesos.

Offline ronjet

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Oct 06, 2005 at 12:56 AM »
ask UPSCALE AUDIO.

The last time I asked about the price of Concertino Home Series speakers, they quoted me "60K+" pesos.

:o :o :o halos na double na yung price nung 2002  :o mga 10k nalang.

Offline sillyputty

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Oct 07, 2005 at 01:00 AM »
sobra naman yan...may nakita ako dito sa sing na 2nd hand concertino..950sgd..mahal pa ata yun...kasi may nabasa akong posts sa echoloft na 800sgd(2nd hand din). mga 1.3-1.5ksgd ata brand new.

Offline ronjet

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Oct 07, 2005 at 04:37 PM »
sobra naman yan...may nakita ako dito sa sing na 2nd hand concertino..950sgd..mahal pa ata yun...kasi may nabasa akong posts sa echoloft na 800sgd(2nd hand din). mga 1.3-1.5ksgd ata brand new.

mga how much po yun sir?

Offline sillyputty

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Oct 08, 2005 at 12:16 AM »
php33-34:1sgd ang rate.

Offline ronjet

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Oct 08, 2005 at 12:53 AM »
hmm..mas mura nga sir.pano kaya shipping nun. di kaya ganun din?

Offline sillyputty

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Oct 09, 2005 at 10:29 AM »
kung ok lang sayo 2nd hand..mas ok ata na dito ka bumili...kahit ikaw na mismo ang pumunta dito tutal mga 10k lang naman yung pamasahe...nakapunta ka pa ng singapore hehehehehe

Offline ronjet

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Oct 10, 2005 at 07:35 AM »
kung ok lang sayo 2nd hand..mas ok ata na dito ka bumili...kahit ikaw na mismo ang pumunta dito tutal mga 10k lang naman yung pamasahe...nakapunta ka pa ng singapore hehehehehe

hehehe..oo nga sir no,mas mura pa kung sa from clark ka sakay na plane :)

Offline Dracula

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Jan 26, 2006 at 08:21 PM »
Sonus Faber speakers are for life that's all I can say.... ;D...or until the next SARS
« Last Edit: Jan 30, 2006 at 06:08 PM by dracula »

Offline audio_tyro

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Feb 03, 2006 at 05:48 PM »
Tama si Dracs, Sonus faber is for keeps. Once you're hooked by its magic, mahirap na ma-impressed sa ibang speakers. Hahanapin mo na palagi yong lambing and its incredible authority to bring fort the full emotional  context of the music material.

I think one of the few reasons one would sell his Sonus faber to get another brand is, usually when he change the type of music that he listens to. Like when you're for vocals, jazz, classical (especially violin music) and then you suddenly develop a penchant for rock. Otherwise, you'll be a Sonus faber Sith Lord for life.

Your truly,
Sith Lord AT

Offline Dracula

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Feb 07, 2006 at 04:30 PM »
Tama si Dracs, Sonus faber is for keeps. Once you're hooked by its magic, mahirap na ma-impressed sa ibang speakers. Hahanapin mo na palagi yong lambing and its incredible authority to bring fort the full emotional  context of the music material.

I think one of the few reasons one would sell his Sonus faber to get another brand is, usually when he change the type of music that he listens to. Like when you're for vocals, jazz, classical (especially violin music) and then you suddenly develop a penchant for rock. Otherwise, you'll be a Sonus faber Sith Lord for life.

Your truly,
Sith Lord AT

I totally agree for me nothing beats the sound of diana krall, norah jones or eva cassidy through a pair of concertos....ako siguro never na palit ng sonus faber upgrade na lang siguro to a better sonus model....tried it with rock music using a musical fidelity x-80 ok pa rin naman pero tama si audio_tyro its just not the sonus's speciality...

Offline Superman

• Trade Count: (+138)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Master Showman Presents...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 366
« Reply #29 on: Feb 07, 2006 at 04:50 PM »
yup, that's why i'm just saving up for my friend's concertino home...i'll be the second owner...yahoo! :D
Fyne|EAR|Hana|Technics|SAEC|Wiim|Western Electric|Audiolab|Acrolink|Oyaide|Oppo|Tellurium