Author Topic: Buffy The Vampire Slayer  (Read 31648 times)

Offline Redmary

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Sponge bath, Mr. Wyndam-Pryce?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re:The Bronze, The Buffy the Vampire Slayer Thread
« Reply #30 on: Jun 18, 2002 at 01:54 PM »

I'm planning on getting the first two seasons in DVD but where can I get the other seasons? Some of you guys already have 'em but Amazon.com only has the first two.

amazon.co.uk has region 2/PAL version DVDs up to season 4... I think acidburn's better equipped at telling you the pros and cons of getting them.

I have region 1s of seasons 1 and 2, and the features and extras got a lot better. (That is, if you're a fan of the writers and love behind the scenes stuff like me.)

Offline gumby

• DVD Addict
  • The future rested on my shoulders...and I shrugged
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: Jun 18, 2002 at 03:01 PM »
Yeah I checked amazon.co.uk and indeed I saw the 4 seasons of Buffy in region 2. I had half a mind to order them when I realized how expensive they are, considering the conversion of pound to peso!

I do love behind-the-scenes features (interviews, making-of, critic comments, etc) - where did you get your seasons 1 and 2, by the way?

NY152

« Reply #32 on: Jun 18, 2002 at 04:17 PM »
amazon.co.uk has region 2/PAL version DVDs up to season 4... I think acidburn's better equipped at telling you the pros and cons of getting them.

Actually, with all due respect to acidburn, who I personally consider the ULTIMATE Pinoy source for all things "Buffy"... since she gets the UK DVD episodes from ME, I think I might be the better source for information about the R2 DVDs.  :)

They basically have the same features with the R1 discs with one minor difference: The brief "Joss Whedon Interviews" for 6 episodes in each boxed set.  The Region 2 discs do not contain these, since they were actually created for the US "Best Of Buffy" VHS boxed sets.

But the rest of the the features are identical - the featurettes, the commentaries, the scripts.

You will have 2 main problems if you decide to purchase the discs in R2 format:

1. Is your TV multi-system? It's not a problem for the first three (fullscreen) seasons if your DVD player can convert PAL to NTSC, but when you get to the 4th season, when you convert the widescreen PAL image to NTSC, the image stretches to fill the screen - making everyone look like "the thin man." If you want to view the widescreen season 4 DVD episodes the way they were intended, you need a PAL or a multisystem TV, regardless of your player's capabilities.

2. The price. I buy them from Amazon UK. Roughly, the conversion rate charged by Citibank on my credit card is £1 = P76.00. So the second season on R2 would cost you about P5320. On R1, the same season would cost you just P2326 - half the price! Also remember, shipping from the UK costs significantly more than from the US.

You know, this is the first time I've done the math, and I think I just might wait for R1 for Season 5 - the price difference is WAY TOO MUCH!

ACID, you should have warned me!!!  ::)
« Last Edit: Jun 19, 2002 at 11:38 PM by NY152 »

Offline gumby

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: Jun 18, 2002 at 04:49 PM »
Hmmm...I didn't know PAL and NTSC applies to DVDs...how can I check it? I only have an LG DVD/CD-RW drive.

Why aren't these stuff released in R3? I mean aside from Buffy, other great R1 collections like the Sopranos, the X-Files and Sex & the City doesn't have R3 counterparts - why so?

A sidenote: last night's Buffy episode was great! I forgot Willow was the one who broke up Cordelia and Xander! Can't wait for the next episode, though, when we find out more (or the truth) about Glory (finally!).

Offline utoy

• DVD Addict
  • the noxious in obnoxious
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: Jun 18, 2002 at 05:47 PM »
hi gumby.

the ntsc/pal labels are usually written on the disc or somewhere on the cover. if the disc is R2, it's usually PAL. R3 & R1s are ntscs.

i actually made the wrong announcement on my NEXT ON BUFFY post and i'm sorry if i caused anyone any inconvenience.

last night's episode was "Triangle" and is one funny ep. spike groping buffy. spike practicing peace-offering on a buffy mannequin. willow, anya bickering. hilarious stuff.

Offline gumby

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: Jun 18, 2002 at 06:03 PM »
Thanks for clearing that up for me, utoy!

Much as I liked yesterday's episode, my favorite of the current season (so far) is the one you mentioned - "Family". Tara was an outsider for so long that it was touching to see the scoobies (and Buffy) stand up for her.

My next favorite of the season is "No Place Like Home", where we were introduced to Glory and found out the truth about Dawn.

And I have to mention: the episode "Foor For Love" (where we learn the origin of Spike) ties neatly with the Angel episode "Darla"! Geez, the coordination and continuity of the two series are solid!

Offline acidburn

• Collector
  • Occasionally, I'm callous and strange.
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: Jun 19, 2002 at 10:18 PM »

ACID, you should have warned me!!!  ::)

even if i did would you have listened?  ;)

Redmary: NY152, is my DVD guru. Someday I'm gonna be just like him.  ;D
I wish I was lonely, Instead of just only...

NY152

« Reply #37 on: Jun 19, 2002 at 11:23 PM »
You know, this is the first time I've done the math, and I think I just might wait for R1 for Season 5 - the price difference is WAY TOO MUCH!

ACID, you should have warned me!!!

even if i did would you have listened?  ;)

Good point. And HONESTLY, do you think there's a chance in Hell(mouth) that I'm actually going to wait for the Region 1 DVD of Season 5?  ::)

Redmary: NY152, is my DVD guru. Someday I'm gonna be just like him.

"Someday"? Did they change the definition of that word to "A few years ago?" ;)

Hey, why are you home with net access? HIT THOSE PATHO BOOKS!  :P
« Last Edit: Jun 19, 2002 at 11:28 PM by NY152 »

Offline acidburn

• Collector
  • Occasionally, I'm callous and strange.
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: Jun 19, 2002 at 11:38 PM »

"Someday"? Did they change the definition of that word to "A few years ago?" ;)

Hey, why are you home with net access? HIT THOSE PATHO BOOKS!  :P

ok, change that to. "im in the process of becoming just like him...only a lot  sexier"  ;D mwa ha ha

oh and i did hit the patho books. Also stepped on them and threw them out the window.  ;D

EDITED TO ADD:

just found out some info regarding the US Season 2 DVDs. Apparently there were cuts in certain episodes. I'm not sure how many episodes in all were cut since i only have details for one of them which was "lie to me"

details as follows (cut parts in brackets):

First cut:
The scene is when Buffy sees her old friend, Ford, in school and she introduces him to Xander and Willow. Btw, I'm not using the whole scene. Just the immediate lines before and after the cut. I'll be doing this for the other cuts as well.

Ford: Dad got the transfer, and boom, he just dragged me outta Hemery and put me down here.
[Buffy: This is great! Well, I mean, it's hard, sudden move, all your friends, delicate time, very emotional, but let's talk about me! This is great.]
Willow: So, you two were sweeties in fifth grade?

Second cut:
The scene in the Bronze where Xander, Willow, and Ford are playing pool and Buffy meets up with them. She then heads for the bar and finds Angel there.

Buffy: Hi.
Angel: Hey! I was hoping you'd show.
[Buffy: You drink! I mean, drinks. Non-blood things.
Angel: There's a lot about me you don't know.
Buffy: I believe that.]
Willow: That's Angel.
Xander: He's Buffy's beau. Her special friend.

Third cut:
The scene is at the Sunset Club where Xander, Willow, and Angel are looking around and finding a bunch of vampire wannabees. Xander and Willow meet Chantarelle, Angel insults her, and then she leaves (but not before doing an extremely super-cute little pout).

Angel: I've seen enough. I've seen this type before. I mean, they're children making up bedtime stories of friendly vampires to comfort themselves in the dark.
Willow: Is that so bad? [I mean, the dark can get pretty dark. Sometimes you need a story.]
Angel: These people don't know anything about vampires. What they are, how they live, how they dress...

oh and for spike fans out there, the R2 season 4 DVD has a featurette called "Spike Me" which talks about the character's initial sociopathic origins to his transformation in the fourth season. Unfortunately, no naked spike (thank god! )since he only started taking his shirt off in season 5.

ok, that ends my marathon posting session for the week. off to study for the boards again.  :P
« Last Edit: Jun 20, 2002 at 08:14 AM by acidburn »
I wish I was lonely, Instead of just only...

Offline Holly Golightly

• Collector
  • impulsive. compulsive. insane
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: Jun 20, 2002 at 04:05 PM »

oh and for spike fans out there, the R2 season 4 DVD has a featurette called "Spike Me" which talks about the character's initial sociopathic origins to his transformation in the fourth season. Unfortunately, no naked spike (thank god! )...

Hey! What does that mean? Naked Spike is a good thing! A delicious thing, as a matter of fact. :)
« Last Edit: Jun 20, 2002 at 05:05 PM by Holly Golightly »

NY152

« Reply #40 on: Jun 20, 2002 at 04:46 PM »
just found out some info regarding the US Season 2 DVDs. Apparently there were cuts in certain episodes. I'm not sure how many episodes in all were cut since i only have details for one of them which was "lie to me"

Not to worry, those who bought the US Season 2 DVDs.  It seemed weird to me that they'd remaster the DVDs for US release and cut some scenes, so I just checked my R2 discs, and the missing parts described are identical. So we've BOTH been gypped!

This is weird! I really have no idea why they'd delete stuff when pressing the DVDs, and the episode's run time is 42:56 - just a bit shorter than the conventional 44 minutes you'd expect for hour long television programs.
« Last Edit: Jun 20, 2002 at 04:55 PM by NY152 »

Offline gumby

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: Jun 20, 2002 at 11:02 PM »
 ;D Wag nyo ko pagtatawanan pero - I finally saw the first episode of Buffy! Just got the first season compilation today eh...

New viewers need to see (and know) the movie kasi hindi in-explain how she became a slayer pala. And Darla was there! And her first meeting with Angel - was it just me or the sexual tension was so apparent between the two characters?

Anyway, I plan to buy the second season compilation within the coming week - in the meantime, I'm gonna control myself to watch just 1 episode a day. Haven't watched the next episode (considering na bitin ang first) - tomorrow na lang ulit (but I can't wait  ;D)

Offline kakabanas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • What the - - -  ?!
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: Jun 21, 2002 at 04:10 AM »

;D Wag nyo ko pagtatawanan pero - I finally saw the first episode of Buffy! Just got the first season compilation today eh...

HAHAHAHA  ;D ;D ;D

Oooops .. sorry.  ::) ::) ::)

8)
k

Offline gumby

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: Jun 21, 2002 at 08:50 AM »
Kakabanas ka talaga, kakabanas!  ;D

But dat's okey - happy naman ako  ;D ;D ;D

Offline gumby

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: Jun 24, 2002 at 09:16 PM »
Just saw the latest Buffy episode in Ch23 tonight! It's called "Checkpoint" and it featured the Watchers council coming to Sunnydale to evaluate Buffy and her friends.

This is now my second favorite episode of the current season, surpassed only by "Family" and followed by "No Place Like Home"! Grabe ang confidence ni Buffy in the end of the episode - and having Giles reinstated as her official watcher is a welcome surprise! And the cherry on top? The revelation of who Glory really is! Buffy's reaction was priceless!

NY152

« Reply #45 on: Jun 24, 2002 at 10:48 PM »
Season Seven Update (Minor spoilers):

From SCIFI.COM:

Buffy Cast Teases New Eps

Cast members of UPN's Buffy the Vampire Slayer gave SCI FI Wire hints about where their characters will head in the upcoming seventh season, which starts in the fall. James Marsters (Spike), Michelle Trachtenberg (Dawn) and Alyson Hannigan (Willow) offered the details after a recent panel on the show at the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences in Los Angeles.

Hannigan said in an interview that she thinks Willow's greatest challenge will be "winning the fans' love back" after turning evil at the end of the season. "They probably hate me now," she said. "I just hope they forgive my evilness in the last few episodes." Hannigan said Willow's addiction to magic will remain an issue for the character. "Oh yeah, once you go that far, don't you deal with it for the rest of your life?" she asked. After Tara's tragic death, will Willow begin dating again? "Oh dear, I hope not," Hannigan said. "She's got to have time to recover." Hannigan confirmed that she will travel to London to film scenes for the season premiere. When asked if those scenes included Willow's reconciliation with Giles, whom she tried to kill in the season finale, the actress was vague. "I don't know. Hmm. What makes you think that?"

Marsters told SCI FI Wire that Spike will be a vampire with a soul, not a human, as speculated. But he added that he doesn't know if Spike will turn out to be good or evil. "I could be unleashed as the big villain, or I could be the big goody two-shoes crackerjack boy," he said. "I have no idea." But Spike's attempted rape of Buffy at the end of last season will cause a rift between him and Dawn.

"It will not be easy for Spike to come back," Trachtenberg said in an interview. "Of course there is that relationship, that foundation in there, so there is something there, and I think he is the one that Dawn has connected to the most, because he's never treated her like a child. For once, she'll handle the situation in an adult way, but she won't let him get away with it." Trachtenberg added that Dawn may fight more, as she kicked some butt in the season finale. "I know in the season finale Dawn tried to fight a little more," Trachtenberg said. "If their plan is [to add more fighting], I'm definitely looking forward to it. I've been promised heels next year, because Dawn has been wearing sneakers for the past year. So I'll have to take lessons in fighting in heels, but it's definitely something that will be fun." Dawn will also face teen dating issues. "I've heard a couple of rumors here and there that Dawn will have a couple guys coming in and out, but I don't know what other relationships we'll be building. I think that this is the year that Dawn matures and really comes into her own. She spent last year leveling the ground, and now she's able to conduct herself in a way that she has seen her sister in her more mature days."

Offline gumby

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: Jun 25, 2002 at 08:00 AM »
MINOR SPOILER:

Well, nice to know they're not cancelling the show - whew! I read somewhere that UPN was not happy with the show's ratings (though they were still above average) in their 6th season when it moved to their network.

There were also rumors that Joss Whedon wanted to end the series while they were still high in the ratings. Would the 7th season be their last one? Hope not!

I read somewhere that they gave Spike a soul - whoa! That one I was not expecting! Seems Drusilla's the only one who didn't get hers back - Angel, Darla and now Spike all had their souls restored to them.
« Last Edit: Jun 25, 2002 at 10:40 AM by gumby »

Offline utoy

• DVD Addict
  • the noxious in obnoxious
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: Jun 25, 2002 at 10:07 AM »
that was a spoiler gumby. try to hide the spoilery text by changing the font color. go see the spoiler thread for a detailed instructions on how to hide your texts.

Offline gumby

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: Jun 25, 2002 at 10:18 AM »
Uh ok...I'll check that out but...what part did I reveal that an earlier post didn't?  ???

NY152

« Reply #49 on: Jun 25, 2002 at 10:23 AM »

Uh ok...I'll check that out but...what part did I reveal that an earlier post didn't?  ???

Nothing, but I marked my thread "MINOR SPOILER" on top, so people had the option to skip it entirely.

And from all indications, Season Seven will be the last. SMG isn't even willing to voice the cartoon, and said that at this present time, she's not interested in bringing the franchise back to the big screen.

If it's any consolation, there are rumors of a DAWN spin-off with some same characters to take its place...

For me, though, that's no consolation... Dawn bugs me big time!

Offline gumby

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: Jun 25, 2002 at 10:30 AM »
Well, I hated Dawn when she first appeared - she's not as beautiful as SMG to pass as her sister and she's whiny. However, as the season moved on, she kinda grew on me.

Sorry - I placed a MINOR SPOILER on top of my message. I'll check the spoilers link - thanks!  :)
« Last Edit: Jun 25, 2002 at 10:41 AM by gumby »

Offline gumby

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: Jun 26, 2002 at 03:50 AM »
 ;D I just watched "The Pack" and "Angel" from season one - great writing! The twists of "The Pack" stumped me - one minute I thought I had the story figured out, the next - whoa!

The origin of Angel (or a hint of it) was both intriguing and touching - and I didn't know he dusted Darla! And that kiss at the end of the episode...I want my season 2 now!

My major gripe about season 1 is that Charisma Carpenter had such small (almost insignificant) roles in the majority of the episodes. Hope that improved in further seasons.

Offline Holly Golightly

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: Jun 26, 2002 at 02:28 PM »

;D I just watched "The Pack" and "Angel" from season one - great writing! The twists of "The Pack" stumped me - one minute I thought I had the story figured out, the next - whoa!

The origin of Angel (or a hint of it) was both intriguing and touching - and I didn't know he dusted Darla! And that kiss at the end of the episode...I want my season 2 now!

My major gripe about season 1 is that Charisma Carpenter had such small (almost insignificant) roles in the majority of the episodes. Hope that improved in further seasons.

Ah, The Pack is the reason I fell for Buffy, and fell hard. I thought I was watching another run-of-the-mill teen show and then Hyena!Xander looked up with this wicked, wicked look in his eyes. And then THEY ATE THE GODDAMNED PRINCIPAL! When a TV show makes you sit up and say "WTF?" more than a dozen times (in a good way), it's a keeper.

Charisma was pretty much bait in the early seasons. But she was FUN bait. :) And up until Spike came, she was always the most quotable. Also, Cordy may not have ALWAYS been there, but she was always surprising, wouldn't you say? She at least has the honor of being the most well-rounded bitch in TV history.

Offline Holly Golightly

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: Jun 26, 2002 at 02:32 PM »

If it's any consolation, there are rumors of a DAWN spin-off with some same characters to take its place...

For me, though, that's no consolation... Dawn bugs me big time!

On the up-side, I don't think any of the principals said that they're interested in continuing. Nicky's said he's not signing on for S8. Emma said it was definitely her last season. And James, although playing safe in that cute-annoying way of his, pretty much said the same thing recently.

And poor Michelle Trachtenberg. Even she's apparently tired of Dawn.

Offline gumby

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: Jun 26, 2002 at 02:59 PM »
Well, in the few episodes of seasons 2 and 3 that I saw, I loved Cordy! She's the main reason that I watch "Angel" (sorry David)! She seems to have mellowed in "Angel" but when the bitch side of her shows up, it's always a hoot!

I hope the show lasts for two more seasons - they could inject new blood as new supporting characters! If Nicholas Brendon leaves, maybe a new male sidekick could replace him - how about Seth Green? His movie career seems to have stalled. Maybe Emma Caufield can be replaced by a new demonic (or angelic) character? Spike can be replaced by someone else - how about Drusilla? That'd be a blast!

If a show like M*A*S*H lasted for 11 years, I'm sure Buffy can manage to last longer (wishful thinking)!

Offline kings5504

• DVD Guru
  • Rock Band Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: Jun 26, 2002 at 03:42 PM »

Ah, The Pack is the reason I fell for Buffy, and fell hard. I thought I was watching another run-of-the-mill teen show and then Hyena!Xander looked up with this wicked, wicked look in his eyes. And then THEY ATE THE GODDAMNED PRINCIPAL! When a TV show makes you sit up and say "WTF?" more than a dozen times (in a good way), it's a keeper.

same here...  it was "the pack" that got me hooked on this show!  ;D
The war is over...  Now bring on the classics on HD!

Offline Holly Golightly

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: Jun 26, 2002 at 05:22 PM »
I hope the show lasts for two more seasons - they could inject new blood as new supporting characters! If Nicholas Brendon leaves, maybe a new male sidekick could replace him - how about Seth Green? His movie career seems to have stalled. Maybe Emma Caufield can be replaced by a new demonic (or angelic) character? Spike can be replaced by someone else - how about Drusilla? That'd be a blast!

Sweetie, NOBODY can replace James. :) Also, MASH lasted 11 years because Larry Gelbart never got distracted by trying to build an "empire", unlike some creators I know. (And Jesus, why hand it over to someone who obviously uses the show to save on therapy bills?)

Also, if you're a member read the archives at Pinoyslayer for the rumor that may explain why Seth is NEVER coming back.

Long story short, I'm not watching Buffy without Sarah, James, Nicky or Aly. Heck, I'm not even sure I'm on board for S7. Just got disgusted by S6, y'know?

I have issues.
« Last Edit: Jun 26, 2002 at 05:42 PM by Holly Golightly »

Offline Holly Golightly

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: Jun 26, 2002 at 05:24 PM »

same here...  it was "the pack" that got me hooked on this show!  ;D

[[[Hug!]]]

NY152

« Reply #58 on: Jun 26, 2002 at 09:10 PM »
Just got disgusted by S6, y'know?

Which just proves you have good taste (See Page 1 of this thread, Reply #5, posted on June 14, 2002, 10:26:59 AM).   8)
« Last Edit: Jun 26, 2002 at 09:20 PM by NY152 »

Offline gumby

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: Jun 26, 2002 at 10:10 PM »
Geez - you guys are scaring me! Is S6 really that bad? Where do (or did) you guys see it? On cable or local TV? I'm on S5 (through Ch23 and Star World) and I'm finding it quite good! Well, Glory is no Angel or Faith but she's one mean bitch! And I like her sense of humor and style - sweet but sharp!

Well, okay Holly - no one can replace James (I love his acidic sarcasm while you obviously love something else about him :D)! But I still feel changing a few characters wouldn't hurt. When they changed a a couple of characters in M*A*S*H (especially Commander Blake with General Potter or Trapper John with B.J. Hunnicut), the show actually became better! Of course it's a double edged sword - when M*A*S*H lost Radar, well...the show kinda lost some of it's charm.

What I meant by comparing Buffy with M*A*S*H is that the latter show dealt with mainly one subject: war. Buffy extended it's scope from vampires to just about everything! Surely the writers of Buffy have a more wider plateau of ideas than the ones in M*A*S*H. But don't get me wrong - I love M*A*S*H - it's the reason I bought a VHS - to record all of its episodes from cable!

Oh and Holly - thanks for the Pinoyslayers link - you are a "dahling" (said in Audrey Hepburn-like accent)  ;D