Author Topic: Buffy The Vampire Slayer  (Read 31707 times)

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
Re: Buffy: The Vampire Slayer
« Reply #480 on: Apr 19, 2003 at 06:46 PM »
Have to find a new show to get hooked on. ;)

Force yourself to return to Smallville. As TIME Magazine said, it's more "Buffyboy" than "Superboy".

And Kristin Kreuk on a weekly basis is ALWAYS a good thing.  ;)
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline The Stig

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #481 on: Apr 19, 2003 at 06:51 PM »
Force yourself to return to Smallville. As TIME Magazine said, it's more "Buffyboy" than "Superboy".

Hmm... Buffyboy. Sounds familiar ;D

And Kristin Kreuk on a weekly basis is ALWAYS a good thing.  ;)

Very True. ;)

Offline gumby

• DVD Addict
  • The future rested on my shoulders...and I shrugged
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #482 on: Apr 19, 2003 at 11:25 PM »
Anyone still watching? I just finished "Dirty Girls"...

I'm still watching but so busy to post my thoughts on the past few episodes :(

Great to see Faith back! Can anyone who watches Angel fill me in on what's been going on over there until now? Just the subplots involving Faith and Willow, I mean...

It was like season 3 all over for me to see Faith back in Buffy. And the writer - Drew Goodard - threw in a lot of references of past episodes! A few that I caught:

a. Willow and Faith in the hospital, where Faith said she and hospitals don't click - a reference to her coma in season 3 & 4

b. Faith's "memory lane" comment about Buffy's house - she was in that house in Faith, Hope & Trick, Amends, and her assault on Joyce in This Year's Girl.

c. Her conversation with Spike and the body swap reference from season 4

It was nice to see the flirtation between Spike and Faith. In a perfect world, Buffy would go back to Angel, and these two should get the chance to be together... now THAT would be one POWER couple!

Yeah I agree! Hmmm, might still happen - Spike and Faith running off into the sunset while Buffy and Angel pair up again.

Oh, and was it just me, or did the strength and fighting technique he showed at the end of the episode make everyone think that Caleb was nothing but "Glory without the hair?" ;D

Or the First and Caleb's conversation reminiscent of Adam and Spike in season 4 maybe?

It looks like it's going to be one hell of a series finale. I'm glad the show got a chance to redeem itself after last season's severe misfire.

I do hope you're right - season 7's kinda like season 5 for me in the sense that it has an underlying theme early on in the season with good stand-alone episodes and a heck of a finale! I fervently hope it won't be like season 4 - that one had an underlying theme right from the start, good stand-alone episodes, but a let-down (IMHO) of a finale. :(

Offline gumby

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #483 on: Apr 19, 2003 at 11:31 PM »
Hey Mr. Hankey, here's roughly what happened on "Angel" , Angelus came back, Willow was brought in by Fred because shes the only one they know who's ever brought back Angel's soul. And Faith broke out of prison by Wesley because they needed a heavy hitter against Angelus. After they restored Angel's soul, Willow decided to bring Faith with her back to Sunnydale, hoping she could help out there.

Just to add:

My sister and I watched Salvage and she had a question: why didn't Wesley get Buffy instead of Faith? The answer was in the episode: Wesley needed someone who can bring Angel down without killing him, and Faith owed Angel so much that she refused to even consider dusting him as an option.

Offline The Stig

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #484 on: Apr 19, 2003 at 11:55 PM »
Also, the fact that Wesley was Faith's original watcher may have been a factor in his selection.  :)

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #485 on: Apr 22, 2003 at 01:52 AM »
It's over.  :'(

From SciFi.Com

=====

Buffy: It's A Wrap

Cast and crew of UPN's Buffy the Vampire Slayer expressed pride in their show and sadness about its end as it wrapped its seventh and final season last week, and they celebrated with a party April 18 in Los Angeles. Alyson Hannigan (Willow) told SCI FI Wire that she was crying in her final scene and afterwards. "And they said, 'Well, that's a picture wrap,' and it was just like, 'Wow, there's more [tears] in there.' It just came spilling out. ... It was very, very bittersweet, an emotional day for everyone. Lots of tears, lots of hugs. ... It was great, though."

Production on the Buffy finale wrapped production last week, marking the end of the show's original episodes. A wrap party at the Miauhaus studio in Los Angeles drew current and past cast members and crew, including creator Joss Whedon, executive producer Marti Noxon and actors Hannigan, Nicholas Brendon (Xander), Anthony Head (Giles), James Marsters (Spike), Amber Benson (Tara), Juliet Landau (Drusilla), Seth Green (Oz), Tom Lenk (Andrew), Julie Benz (Darla) and Danny Strong (Johnathan).

Anthony Head, who arrived with his two teen daughters, described himself as "gutted" on his last day. "I felt really odd, like really sort of in a really strange emotional place," he said in an interview. "It was like saying goodbye to a very, very, very old friend. And at the same time, you knew that it wasn't goodbye. And you knew that there was more life in it, and I'm going to see these guys. It's what it is. It's come to the right time and place."

Noxon said, "I feel everything. I feel like I'm graduating from college or high school all over again. I feel like I just spent some of the greatest times of my life. You can only hope that you didn't peak in high school, you know?" She added that the upcoming May 20 series finale "is some of the strongest stuff we've ever done. I just think it's awesome. ... It kicks ass."

For his part, Whedon said he was exhausted, but happy with where the show ended, and added that he plans to spend more time with his wife and newborn son now that the show is over. "We were able to do the show we wanted to," he said in an interview. "We were never dictated to. ... We always did ... what we were told to by the story. Because, eventually, if you're making art, it starts telling you what to do." He added that he'll miss writing the show the most. "Being in that room, just beating our heads against the wall, trying to break a story," he said. "Cracking each other up for hours at a stretch. I mean, I love filming. But filming has so much going on. It's not like being in the room with the writers. It's just us and the characters. And writing those voices myself. Being alone with them. Those are the things I'll miss the most." The Buffy finale airs at 8 p.m. ET/PT on May 20.

=====

Is it just me, or is it glaringly obvious that someone was missing at the wrap party?

And I'm not referring to David Boreanaz.  :P

=====

Edited to add:

I seem to have found the answer to my own question, from her husband:

Freddie Prinze Jr. told the Zap2it Web site that he and his wife, Sarah Michelle Gellar, will head to Vancouver, B.C., to begin shooting the Scooby-Doo sequel as soon as Gellar wraps production on Buffy the Vampire Slayer later this month. UPN's Buffy is winding up a seven-year run.

"A lot of people owe Sarah a lot for doing that show," Prinze told the site. "And she doesn't always get the credit she deserves. She's a very strong woman, because she deals with a lot of nonsense, and instead of that nonsense, she should be thanked. And she's not. That's the reason she won't be coming back."

Prinze added, "Sarah's the most appreciative person in the world, and if that environment would have remained the way it [was] six years ago, she would go back, because she's loyal. But things change, and people's egos get in the way sometimes. They make poor decisions."

=====

The plot thickens... anyone know what this fight is about?
« Last Edit: Apr 22, 2003 at 02:07 AM by Mr. Hankey »

Offline pagan

• Collector
  • grr..arg
  • Liked:
« Reply #486 on: May 12, 2003 at 06:43 PM »
I suppose everyone's gonna be watching the series finale along with the rest of the States, huh?  Don't forget to bring a box of tissue =)

You know what I'm saddest about?  That I don't see a new Mutant Enemy series in the horizon.  What's that about?  I need my ME fix, darnit!

And what about Angel, huh?  It's not even sure to be back for season 5.  Let's all join the campaign to renew Angel, ok?  Go to http://www.renewangel.com

24-Philippines: http://geocities.com/twenty_four_ph/

The Talon: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/the_talon/
Join the Pinoyslayers, the most kick-ass club of Buffy the Vampire Slayer fans in the country.

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #487 on: May 13, 2003 at 02:14 AM »
And what about Angel, huh?  It's not even sure to be back for season 5.  Let's all join the campaign to renew Angel, ok?  Go to http://www.renewangel.com

It's just been renewed! But Cordy's gone...  :'(

From SciFi.Com:

WB Renews Angel

The WB has renewewd its vampire series Angel for a full fifth season, with former Buffy the Vampire Slayer cast member James Marsters joining the show as Spike, Variety reported. But cast member Charisma Carpenter, who plays Cordelia, is not expected to return as a series regular, the trade paper reported.

The Joss Whedon series will air on Wednesdays at 9 p.m. ET/PT, with relocated hit Smallville as its lead-in, the trade paper reported. The WB also has an option for a sixth season.

Other Buffy regulars may also make guest appearances next season, while Whedon has vowed to write several scripts and direct episodes of the show, the trade paper reported. Jeffrey Bell and Tim Minear will be executive producers/showrunners.

Offline AshKetchum

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 31
« Reply #488 on: May 13, 2003 at 06:08 PM »
It's just been renewed! But Cordy's gone...  :'(

From SciFi.Com:

WB Renews Angel

The WB has renewewd its vampire series Angel for a full fifth season, with former Buffy the Vampire Slayer cast member James Marsters joining the show as Spike, Variety reported. But cast member Charisma Carpenter, who plays Cordelia, is not expected to return as a series regular, the trade paper reported.

Damn. I know Charisma wants to spend time with her baby and all, but I'll miss Cordy...it won't be the same without her.

I'd also read somewhere that she'll not be written out of the show--she'll pop up from time to time, like Giles does. Wish they'd get rid of Connor permanently instead. And Spike, now with the Fang Gang? Guess he won't end up with Buffy after all then. I still want to see Giles meet Fred, and Anya meet Gunn...

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #489 on: May 13, 2003 at 08:30 PM »
I'll miss Cordy...it won't be the same without her.

I do find it strange - when he signed on for Buffy, James Marsters was told that he was being brought in as a replacement for Cordelia, the one who can be blunt and tell the gang what he/she really thinks, without worrying about being politically correct. But they eventually turned that "gang function" over to Anya.

Now, three years later... he's replacing Cordy again on Angel. Weird!
« Last Edit: May 13, 2003 at 08:30 PM by Mr. Hankey »

Offline The Stig

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #490 on: May 13, 2003 at 11:26 PM »
Well since they plan on adding Marsters to the cast, I think it's wise to get rid of some of the present line-up. And the way they handled the Cordelia character, a lot of fans feel that the Cordelia/Connor arc dragged down the show. So i think its wise for them to trim the fat, maybe bring Cordelia in the way the Giles character on Buffy has been the past 2 seasons. Another thing though, the cast will be less another female lead, i'm hoping they make the Gwen Raiden character a regular or have regular visits from female characters from Sunnydale.

Two episodes to go for me. i certainly will miss this show once it's over. But i'm pretty sure it will end with a BANG. :)

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #491 on: May 14, 2003 at 12:01 AM »
Two episodes to go for me. i certainly will miss this show once it's over. But i'm pretty sure it will end with a BANG. :)

One to go for me! Just finished TOMORROW'S show.

It's the small file on Kazaa - 44716Kb. Galing talaga, 'no? Una pa sa UPN!

A bit anti-climactic... the calm before the storm.

But the Spuffy fans will have something to talk about.  :)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2003 at 12:03 AM by Mr. Hankey »

Offline The Stig

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #492 on: May 14, 2003 at 01:54 AM »
Hey Mr. Hankey, thanks for clearing that up.  ;D I'm downloading the episode right now. I wasnt sure which one was the real file and thought this one was suspiciously small. If my download speed stays the way it is, I might even be able to watch it this morning. :)

Offline gumby

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #493 on: May 14, 2003 at 10:17 AM »
A bit anti-climactic... the calm before the storm.

I just downloaded the ep too but a bigger file  ;)

Now that season 7 is just one ep away, it only ranks as my third favorite season (first is s3, second is s5 - but that could change if the finale is excellent). IMO the First storyline dragged on and there were a lot of filler eps - First Date and Touched comes to mind - that could've been combined into one excellent ep. If not for the return appearances of two characters, and some excellent stand-alone eps - Him, Selfless, and Storyteller just to mention a few - the season kinda felt lacking.

And I wish they went the route of Dawson's Creek and gave us a 2-hour series finale :(

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #494 on: May 18, 2003 at 02:04 AM »
Did you guys see the trailer for the series finale?

May anak pala si Gandalf: "Willow the White"  ;D

I'm guessing since Black Willow is The Ultimate Evil Witch, then White Willow is The Ultimate Good Witch?

3 tulog na lang!

P.S. - I was watching my DVD of Season 5 yesterday, and did you guys know that Tom "Andrew" Lenk was on the show before Season 6? He was in vamp make up, but I recognized his voice immediately - he played one of Harmony's minions.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2003 at 02:07 AM by Mr. Hankey »

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #495 on: May 20, 2003 at 09:41 PM »
Well, I just finished watching the 144th Episode of Buffy The Vampire Slayer, and there will never be another one. Seven years have come to an end. Wow!

The last episode had many memorable exchanges. You can feel that it's a Joss Whedon, something we haven't felt in any of the episodes since "Once More, With Feeling".

The early scenes with Buffy and Angel were fun. But a bit out of character already. Angel felt like early Season 2 Angel, and he's a completely different character today than he was 5 years ago. But still, his jealousy over not being the only vampire with a soul anymore was hysterical!

They paid homage to the last scene of the original 2-hour pilot about midway through the finale, and I'm sure all loyal viewers will get a deja vu when they see the scene.

Now, I have to say this: although I like the CONCEPT of how the show ended, the execution, particularly of the last act of the episode, is not very satisfying. It seemed rushed. And I'm sorry to be morbid, but I could have done with a few more deaths. SIGNIFICANT deaths, that is.

But the ending really left me wondering: Is Spike really joining the cast of ANGEL next season, or was that announcement an elaborate scheme so as not to give away the ending of this series? I mean, he completely burned to ash!

Then again, if Darla can return after being dusted... who knows?

So I think the big question is: which was the better Series Finale, the WB Season 5 Finale or the UPN Season 7 Finale? IMHO, the WB Finale was a lot more satisfying, emotionally. It really closed out the "Buffy" part of the name of the show (but it was forced open again). This finale closes out the second part of the show's title... and I actually care a lot more about the "Buffy" part than "The Vampire Slayer" part.

Anyway, on the whole, it was a good run for the show. It's been better, but I've never felt it to have gotten as bad as some people think.

Thanks Joss, David G., David F., Jane, Doug, Sarah, Alyson, Nicky, Tony... and even YOU, Marti.  ;D
« Last Edit: May 20, 2003 at 10:03 PM by Mr. Hankey »

Offline AshKetchum

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #496 on: May 21, 2003 at 10:38 AM »
They paid homage to the last scene of the original 2-hour pilot about midway through the finale, and I'm sure all loyal viewers will get a deja vu when they see the scene.

I just watched the entire first season several days ago; I can't wait to see this little tribute.  :)

Now, I have to say this: although I like the CONCEPT of how the show ended, the execution, particularly of the last act of the episode, is not very satisfying. It seemed rushed.

That's probably because they had to squeeze in a lot of stuff in a hour's time. Why, oh why didn't they make this a 2-hour finale?

Offline gumby

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #497 on: May 21, 2003 at 11:33 AM »
Why, oh why didn't they make this a 2-hour finale?

This is my biggest gripe about the finale (which I just saw about an hour or so ago) - I know they're different genres but I found the Dawson's Creek finale (which ran 2 hours) much more satisfying.

It was a grand finale though, with great twists and excellent tributes (I got the pilot tribute, Mr Hankey), but I wish some characters got a little more screen time (like Anya, who should've gotten a goodbye scene at least  >:().

Oh well, goodbye Buffy - it was a grand ride at the very least  ;)

Offline The Stig

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #498 on: May 21, 2003 at 07:12 PM »
Just finished watching the final episode. I agree with gumby, Anya deserved a better exit. I can't believe this is the last one ever :'(. Thanks for all seven seasons Mutant Enemy! :)

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #499 on: May 22, 2003 at 10:57 AM »
Now that all the Slayers have been activated, and all the Watchers have been blown up, will Giles have to train all of them? I'd say to rehire Wesley, but we all know what kind of Watcher he was.  ;D

Offline AshKetchum

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #500 on: May 22, 2003 at 11:09 AM »
I'd say to rehire Wesley, but we all know what kind of Watcher he was.  ;D

I didn't like the dark turn his character underwent in Angel--I prefer the bumbling, pompous but funny Wesley in the first 2 seasons. Come to think of it, I hated season 4 of Angel--because of Connor, it's a good thing they finally got rid of that annoying, trying hard brat. Hopefully things will be better in season 5, with the appearances of certain (ex) Sunnydale residents.

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #501 on: May 24, 2003 at 03:11 PM »
Have you guys seen the June FHM (US Edition)?

Willow is that YOU???  ::)

You can also see much more of Alyson and a shot of Darla on the FHM web site.

Hot Cordelia layout in the actual magazine, too.  8)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2003 at 03:12 PM by Mr. Hankey »

Offline viper

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • i took the money and ran . . . . but now I'm back
  • Liked:
« Reply #502 on: Jun 16, 2003 at 11:58 AM »
d**n. I know Charisma wants to spend time with her baby and all, but I'll miss Cordy...it won't be the same without her.

I'd also read somewhere that she'll not be written out of the show--she'll pop up from time to time, like Giles does.

After watching Buffy episodes one after the other (season 1 & 2), i came to like the cordelia character. It is good to hear that she wasn't written out of angel. And it is also nice to hear that she's a doting/devoted mom!  :D

Ok, i won't come back to this thread again to avoid
spoilers. I only watch Buffy on discs!  ;D

Hmmm, nice Willow pic!  ;D ;D

Offline Reuven Malter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • No worries, mate!
  • Liked:
« Reply #503 on: Jun 17, 2003 at 06:12 AM »
I have a question for Buffy fans.

I saw an ad on Star Movies that they are showing Buffy the musical this Thu. Is that the "Once More, With Feeling" episode? If I wish to see it again, is there a rerun within the week.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: Jun 17, 2003 at 04:27 PM by Reuven Malter »
Clear eyes, full hearts can't lose!

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #504 on: Jun 17, 2003 at 11:13 AM »
I saw an ad on Star Movies that they are showing Buffy the musical this Thu. Is that the "Once More, With Feeling" episode?

Yes.

If I wish to see it again, is there a rerun within the week.

Reruns on Thursday 11:30 PM, Friday 2:30AM & 11:00AM, Sunday 4:00PM

Offline Reuven Malter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • No worries, mate!
  • Liked:
« Reply #505 on: Jun 17, 2003 at 04:28 PM »
Thanks, Mr. Hankey! I'll make sure I'll see it more than once.

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #506 on: Jun 19, 2003 at 08:15 PM »
Thanks, Mr. Hankey! I'll make sure I'll see it more than once.

Crap... Star World deleted Tara's solo song, "Under Your Spell". As in completely. Not just the lesbian oral sex part. Stupid censors!

Oh well... thank God I have the DVD already.  ;D
« Last Edit: Jun 19, 2003 at 08:26 PM by Mr. Hankey »

Offline CrUzSACK

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm a paranoid schizophrenic. I am an entourage.
  • Liked:
« Reply #507 on: Jun 19, 2003 at 08:52 PM »
Who played the part of the evil dancing/singing demon?  (Sorry, don't wanna browse the threads for the answer. :-\ Haba na kasi. )
« Last Edit: Jun 19, 2003 at 08:53 PM by CrUzSACK »

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #508 on: Jun 19, 2003 at 11:42 PM »
Who played the part of the evil dancing/singing demon?

"Sweet," the evil dancing/singing demon, was played by Hinton Battle, who has won three Tony Awards for Best Featured Performer in a Musical, the most recent one for his portrayal of "John" in MISS SAIGON on Broadway.

You can hear him perform that role in "The Complete Recording of Boublil & Schonberg's Miss Saigon" on CD, which features Filipina Joanna Ampil as Kim.
« Last Edit: Jun 19, 2003 at 11:46 PM by Mr. Hankey »

Offline Reuven Malter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • No worries, mate!
  • Liked:
« Reply #509 on: Jun 20, 2003 at 09:47 AM »
Finally saw it! Twice so far. Such an inspired episode. The Emmys are really missing a lot.