Author Topic: DVD-R Media Quality and Compatibility  (Read 84283 times)

Offline jlodvo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: DVD-R Media Quality and Compatibility
« Reply #60 on: May 10, 2005 at 11:59 AM »
thats odd some of my leaddata works ok some sira, and sa napasin ko by batch ang sira, tama ba? yng first 2 cakebaox ko na "25 pcs/cake" ok the 2 secound cake sira lahat?

Offline Alfie

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #61 on: May 10, 2005 at 12:14 PM »
Alfie! Nice to know your Konzert still works. Mine's still chugging along as well although I've passed it on to my in-laws. The Amoisonic is now with my brother and is experiencing read problems. The picture tends to freeze up every so many minutes even when playing orginal discs. Those were the days, eh?
Yup-yup...those were the days, I am taking good care of these two since theyr'e the only ones that are macrovision free, at least if I cannot decrypt a copy via a burner, the time will probably come that DVD-Recorders will come cheap.

thats odd some of my leaddata works ok some sira, and sa napasin ko by batch ang sira, tama ba? yng first 2 cakebaox ko na "25 pcs/cake" ok the 2 secound cake sira lahat?

Agree, I only get the LEADDATA for it's printable surface, however, most of the time, you'll have to physically inspect the data side for artifacts and some obvious deformities( out of about 10, I usually reject 2), per my experience, among the generics only the TOP DVD-R has a flawless data surface that is at par with the expensive ones.....only problem with this media is that it's always out of stock. :'(
« Last Edit: May 10, 2005 at 12:18 PM by Alfie »

Offline jlodvo

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #62 on: May 10, 2005 at 03:13 PM »
error cyclic redundancy check i get this a lot is this a prob bcoz of the cheap media? when copying from the dvd i burn going to hard drive?

any other brand thats printable and not  expensive around 10-20 pesos?

Offline idlewild

• Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #63 on: May 10, 2005 at 04:02 PM »
Update;
       I am using a Liteon 815 and so far, with a burn speed of 2X, all the LEADDATA & FORNEX media that I made have no errors. It's a 6 out of 6 for LEADDATA and 8 out of 8 with FORNEX. ;D
       Now with 4X all Fornex results were wasted, 4 out of 4 burned.  :'(
       It's a different result with TOP  [DVD-R:CMC MAG. AF1], all burns at 4X and 2X proved no error. ;)

another thing, these discs may successfully burn on one's drive but i wouldn't use these for longer storage especially on critical data.  did some scans on these discs after each burn and found their quality somewhat marginal.  DVDs degrade over time and given the current performance of these discs, you're bound to get CRC errors in the future.

however, i can't say the same with Top DVD-R since i don't have any problems with this media.

OT: you're using an 851S drive, right?  that's a better burner than the other x1S series :)

Offline Alfie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #64 on: May 10, 2005 at 04:32 PM »
another thing, these discs may successfully burn on one's drive but i wouldn't use these for longer storage especially on critical data.  did some scans on these discs after each burn and found their quality somewhat marginal.  DVDs degrade over time and given the current performance of these discs, you're bound to get CRC errors in the future.

however, i can't say the same with Top DVD-R since i don't have any problems with this media.

I agree, I think I've seen these happen on some copies...even some of my friends have reportedly experienced such a phenomena happening to some of their copies

OT: you're using an 851S drive, right?  that's a better burner than the other x1S series :)

Yup yup the older model, good for single layered media, Thank you for the info, I am glad to know that. ;)

Offline boss_onie

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: May 10, 2005 at 10:17 PM »
Went to megamall again to buy some more discs, indeed it's Php8.00 each. But when I checked my previous receipt, I was only charged Php7.00 each (5pcs. x Php7.00 = Php35.00). Maybe the saleslady gave me a discount coz I bought 20pcs. of the Philips/HP DVD-R 8X discs at Php25.00 a pop.  ;D :P

Burned a couple of TOP DVD-R's and filled it to the brim (4,474MB and 4,479MB out of the possible 4,489MB capacity). And I didn't experience any read problem (so far). TOP DVD-R looks very promising.  ;D

Sorry for my ignorance stoned wall, pero when you say top dvd -r? does that mean yan yun brand? anu po ba looks nung cd na same code with iomega (cmc mag af1)

Offline Stoned Wall

• Collector
  • D is for DVD, that's good enough for me!
  • Liked:
« Reply #66 on: May 11, 2005 at 10:16 AM »
Sorry for my ignorance stoned wall, pero when you say top dvd -r? does that mean yan yun brand? anu po ba looks nung cd na same code with iomega (cmc mag af1)

boss_onie,

Well, that is what is printed on the inner part of this generic disc. Plain white siya with markings of TOP DVD-R 4X. Php8.00 each and has the same code as the Iomega DVD-R 4X.

Went back to Megamall to score some more of these babies. Mabilis maubos. Last week, there were around 5 - 6 spindles (100pcs each). Kahapon, there was only 1 left. Had to buy more than what I needed - mahirap nang maubusan.  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Stoned Wall

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: May 11, 2005 at 10:36 AM »
depends mostly on your burner.  Lite-ons are known to perform poorly on generic media (those with MID codes like LEADDATA, ULTRAN, FORNEX, VDSPMSAB, etc) while NEC drives are generally able to burn them successfully.

My writer is an Emprex brand (BTC OEM) which I got in the States 1 year ago. I started with those CD-R King branded blanks (FORNEX???) and the orange colored with a horse discs (PRODISC). My writer performed well with them till they ran out of stock. Had several mis-adventures with the Premium brand and ONIDTECH code discs. Failure rate is 8 out of 10!!! I still have a lot of them in stock here used as coasters.  >:(

It's good that I found the TOP (CMC code) discs and they perform well - my Philips 642k standalone and Samsung DVD-ROM/CDRW combo drive doesn't complain either.  ;D

to be on the safe side, when using these generic media, stay within the 4GB mark or if you decide to write past this, burn at 2X.  another thing, learn more about your drive and what type of media it prefers.  a good place to start is at
http://forum.cdfreaks.com

Thanks for the tip. I will take this into account on my future burn sessions.  ;D Will also browse the cdfreaks forum for further tips.

when it comes to generic media, i prefer this one.  it uses the same MID code as the iomega red and scans beautifully on my drive (refer to page 2 of this thread).  my only problem is the availabilty of this media.

I totally agree with the availability. Please see my comment above. In a matter of 1 week, 1 spindle was left in Megamall compared to around 5 - 6 spindles a week before. Probably the guys here in Pinoy hoarded these babies.  ;D
« Last Edit: May 11, 2005 at 02:02 PM by Stoned Wall »

Offline dni

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: May 12, 2005 at 12:51 AM »
anyone has any experience with Plextor burners?
what are the different kinds of media most compatible with Plextor burners?

Offline Stoned Wall

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #69 on: May 12, 2005 at 08:47 AM »
anyone has any experience with Plextor burners?
what are the different kinds of media most compatible with Plextor burners?

dni,

I had a chance to evaluate a Plextor PX-716A (their latest) for a week. Burned several IOMEGA DVD-R 4x without any problem. The problem that I experienced is the drive cannot read those CD-R King branded discs (FORNEX???), even if they have been burned already by another DVD writer. Really weird. Even my standalone 5-year old Pioneer player can read those burned discs.

That's why I opted not to buy it, sayang Best product pa naman siya and gets consistent good reviews.

You could also browse the plextor website for media compatibility:

http://www.plextor.com/english/support/support_compatability.html
« Last Edit: May 12, 2005 at 08:50 AM by Stoned Wall »

Offline boss_onie

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #70 on: May 12, 2005 at 08:06 PM »
boss_onie,

Well, that is what is printed on the inner part of this generic disc. Plain white siya with markings of TOP DVD-R 4X. Php8.00 each and has the same code as the Iomega DVD-R 4X.

Went back to Megamall to score some more of these babies. Mabilis maubos. Last week, there were around 5 - 6 spindles (100pcs each). Kahapon, there was only 1 left. Had to buy more than what I needed - mahirap nang maubusan.  ;D ;D ;D

Maraming salamat sa reply mo sir stoned wall. =)

Onie.

Offline dni

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #71 on: May 12, 2005 at 11:55 PM »
yikes!  i just bought that exact model palang...  i hope a firmware update can fix that problem...   :-\ :'( :-\ :'(

dni,

I had a chance to evaluate a Plextor PX-716A (their latest) for a week. Burned several IOMEGA DVD-R 4x without any problem. The problem that I experienced is the drive cannot read those CD-R King branded discs (FORNEX???), even if they have been burned already by another DVD writer. Really weird. Even my standalone 5-year old Pioneer player can read those burned discs.

That's why I opted not to buy it, sayang Best product pa naman siya and gets consistent good reviews.

You could also browse the plextor website for media compatibility:

http://www.plextor.com/english/support/support_compatability.html

Offline Stoned Wall

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #72 on: May 13, 2005 at 08:29 AM »
yikes!  i just bought that exact model palang...  i hope a firmware update can fix that problem...   :-\ :'( :-\ :'(

I do hope that a firmware update would solve the problem. The PX-716A latest firmware is version 1.06. When I tested the drive, it came with a 1.05 version. Do check out the Plextor website for the update. Please do provide a feedback if this problem has been solved already.

Also, check out www.rpc1.com to make your drive region free.

Offline voj

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • Ephesians 2:8-9
  • Liked:
« Reply #73 on: May 13, 2005 at 11:14 AM »
I have the external version (USB/Firewire) version of Plextor PX-716 I bought about 6-7 months ago, after about a 100 copies, I've been experiencing SPINDLE SERVO FAILURE error.  I thought that my unit is busted already but then it worked again though I am still observing it.  It would be very difficlut to return it since I bought it in the States.  I am hoping that it is a media problem.  I buy those 8 peso printable DVDrs at CDRKing, it worked flawlessly after two packs of 25, I'm experiencing the problem on the 3rd pack. I have not experienced any problems on my Ridata ordered from Amazon.  Hopefully, it is just that.

One friend advised me to go slow and not overheat the writer, it seems that that may also be a cause of this problem.  If I find the time to do some copying, I normally do a lot in one sitting.

I downloaded the latest firmware last night (1.07) although haven't had time to install it.

Can you guys also give me some pointers on what I'm doing wrong given this situation:

- I'm using an IBM R51 notebook, the DVD/CDRW is now at Region 1,  I did a back up of Phantom of the Opera R1 using DVDshrink then DVDdecrypter.  The resulting copy worked fine but retained its R1 status and won't play on a strictly R3 player. My Plextor was bought from the States and presumably is R1.  I tried the DVDdecrypter route - dvdshrink-dvddecrypter route, but DVDdecrypter sends a message that it can't crack via his brute force technology the region coding.

Q. How do I make my IBM notebook multiregion?
Q. How do I make my Plextor multiregion?
Q. How do I make my copies multiregion?  I thought that DVDShrink removes all that crap already?

Thanks.

Offline dni

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #74 on: May 13, 2005 at 12:44 PM »
thanks for the tip.  will check that site to make it region free.  :)

I do hope that a firmware update would solve the problem. The PX-716A latest firmware is version 1.06. When I tested the drive, it came with a 1.05 version. Do check out the Plextor website for the update. Please do provide a feedback if this problem has been solved already.

Also, check out www.rpc1.com to make your drive region free.

Offline jerix

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • got no golden ears...just loving music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #75 on: May 16, 2005 at 12:50 PM »
One thing im happy about my Toshiba SDR 5372 is that it doesnt seem to reject a generic dvd-r or cd-r/w media. Even those that doesnt have a name printed on it -- no problem.  --- at least for now-- ;D
Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II

Offline Alfie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #76 on: May 17, 2005 at 09:27 AM »

- I'm using an IBM R51 notebook, the DVD/CDRW is now at Region 1,  I did a back up of Phantom of the Opera R1 using DVDshrink then DVDdecrypter.  The resulting copy worked fine but retained its R1 status and won't play on a strictly R3 player. My Plextor was bought from the States and presumably is R1.  I tried the DVDdecrypter route - dvdshrink-dvddecrypter route, but DVDdecrypter sends a message that it can't crack via his brute force technology the region coding.

Vojie, initially use the Decrypter, it will then ask you what region you will use the back-up, then click R3, it will use the brute force but once it fails it will offer an alternative route, all you have to do is click OK and you'll be surprise that it'll successfully crack the RCE and region code, if this fails, go to the options setting and click on the aggressive box, the decrypter always will find a way to crack the code, only failure I had so far are those physically damaged discs.

Q. How do I make my IBM notebook multiregion?

No physical way, but the DVD Genie and the DVD43 once set-up on your laptop will forego of the region problem

Q. How do I make my copies multiregion?  I thought that DVDShrink removes all that crap already?

the DVDgenie or the DVD43 once activated on your PC will make your problem obsolete, you can use  DVDshrink and not worry at all, here's the link;
http://www.dvd43.com/
and a quote from Barrister;
Why not try DVD43? 

Works equally well; it's free; it's regularly updated to keep up with new encryption methods. 

DVD43 now handles Columbia's new ARCOSS protection. 

For DVDgenie, here's the site;
http://www.inmatrix.com/files/dvdgenie_download.shtml
« Last Edit: May 17, 2005 at 09:28 AM by Alfie »

Offline antukin

• Collector
  • pieces of you
  • Liked:
« Reply #77 on: May 17, 2005 at 03:37 PM »
question re reliability of unbranded dvd-r media.

i already have about 30 miniDV tapes. very expensive hobby for me  ;D

what i am doing now is that i transfer my tapes to PC via firewire in AVI format (13.5Gb).  then split the file into 3, and store them in 3 DVD-Rs, still in raw AVI format.

this way, maybe i can re-use the tape 3 or 4 more times.  but i will still keep very important videos on tape as backup.

my DVD-R are from CD-R King at P7 each. TOP DVD-R 4X is the print on the inner ring. what i'm afraid of is the quality of these DVD-R. will it last like the branded DVD media (30-100yrs)?

also, i don't have any idea of how to label these discs. and, is there a storage for large amount of discs? like CD cases/magazines/sleeves? any good brands you know?

i'm onto buying 100 TOP DVD-R this week  ;D

salamats

Offline p.dividdy2

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Galit Na Si Manoy!
  • Liked:
« Reply #78 on: May 22, 2005 at 02:09 AM »
sadly wala ng stock ang top dvd-r and any generic white dvd-r's...searched everywhere pati quiapo branch sinugod ko na..
PinoyBazaar - Shop Easy!
http://pinoybazaar.forumotion.com

Offline yoh-kun

• Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #79 on: Jun 14, 2005 at 06:21 AM »
has anyone tried CDR-King's recent release of DVD-Rs? Are they any good? i bought their Premium Brand (manufacturer: Taiyo-Yuden) but it kinda sucked at 4x since it hangs a lot at the latter part of the disc when making dvd-video....

i saw the white coating dvdr, but they are out already so i switched to dvd+r (advertised as r020) bec. of the premium brand dvd-r... hope i dont encounter problems with the dvd+rs

Writer: LG-4163b

Offline antukin

• Collector
  • pieces of you
  • Liked:
« Reply #80 on: Jun 14, 2005 at 04:47 PM »
i bought 10 printable dvd-r 4x (no brand) for P7 each. i've got 6 out of 10  >:(

then recently, i bought another no brand for P8 each, gold ang kulay with a 4x/DVD-R/4.7GB/120 Minutes description. so far 5 successful burns. i bought 50 pcs.  8)

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Twitter: @indieboi
  • Liked:
« Reply #81 on: Jun 15, 2005 at 11:56 AM »
The R020's are quite good. I'm very much satisfied with them. Unfortunately, I couldn't find it in CD-R King Megamall. I hope they stock up on these again soon. I also bought the gold DVD-R but I'm not too sure about its quality, if you'll compare it with other DVD media the plastic is so much more thinner. I don't know how it will affect data storage in the long run.

Offline trinity

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #82 on: Jun 15, 2005 at 10:31 PM »
I like the gold -r media from cdrking tho hirap na maghanap ngayon.  The R020 ones naman ok lang but i still prefer yung gold ones.  Good site to check for media compatibilities din is http://www.dvdrhelp.com/

Offline antukin

• Collector
  • pieces of you
  • Liked:
« Reply #83 on: Jun 16, 2005 at 11:54 AM »
hi trinity. is the gold dvd-r you're talking about is the same as the one i bought?

salamats

Offline jerix

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • got no golden ears...just loving music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #84 on: Jun 16, 2005 at 01:13 PM »

then recently, i bought another no brand for P8 each, gold ang kulay with a 4x/DVD-R/4.7GB/120 Minutes description. so far 5 successful burns. i bought 50 pcs.  8)

got this also at wala ding paltos --  ;D dadamihan ko siguro ng stock ko nito  ;)
Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II

Offline trinity

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #85 on: Jun 16, 2005 at 03:25 PM »
hi trinity. is the gold dvd-r you're talking about is the same as the one i bought?

salamats

kung yung media code nya is  GSC001 then yup :D

Offline antukin

• Collector
  • pieces of you
  • Liked:
« Reply #86 on: Jun 16, 2005 at 08:33 PM »
how can i know the media code of the disc? there is some kind of code in the inner ring: 090103534F370G. then that's it, no more descriptions.

salamats

Offline idlewild

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #87 on: Jun 16, 2005 at 10:49 PM »
how can i know the media code of the disc? there is some kind of code in the inner ring: 090103534F370G. then that's it, no more descriptions.

salamats

download the tool described in the first post of this thread.  you can also use DVD Identifier or Nero CD/DVD Speed
« Last Edit: Jun 16, 2005 at 10:51 PM by idlewild »

Offline snapy

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #88 on: Jul 17, 2005 at 01:11 PM »
got this also at wala ding paltos --  ;D dadamihan ko siguro ng stock ko nito  ;)

OK DIN DITO..

USING PLEXTOR 708-A
BURNED 4X speed

4200 MB BELOW FILE SIZE

8 DVDS

6 AYOS WITH VERIFICATION IN NERO
1 accidentally nasira ko coz ginalaw ko ung power
1 FACTORY DEFECT (track not recognized daw).. tinapon ko na lnag sa trash can

8/10 rating..
« Last Edit: Jul 17, 2005 at 01:19 PM by snapy »

Offline voj

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • Ephesians 2:8-9
  • Liked:
« Reply #89 on: Jul 18, 2005 at 12:34 PM »
yahoo!!! dumating na rin yung inorder kong taiyo yuden from meritline.com.  now to see kung sulit ang bili ko.  problem is ano kokopyahin ko ???

voj