Author Topic: DVD+R Media Quality and Compatibility  (Read 46201 times)

Offline gaol

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
Re: DVD+R Media Quality and Compatibility
« Reply #30 on: Jun 25, 2005 at 01:46 PM »
i recently upgraded to this burner and  it allows 16X burn speed for the iomega DVD+R 8X (PRODISCR04). but due to my USB enclosure's low transfer rate (7MBps), i can only burn these @4X.  what firmware are you using btw?  mine's currently A104.

it also depends on how well supported this media is in your drive.  AFAIK, the LG GSA-4163B can burn the SONYD11 and SONY08D1 with great results :)  still have to try it myself.  i'll post some scans after i run some tests.

a tip for those who have their burners in an external enclosure.  run the Nero CD-DVD Speed under Nero's Toolkit, insert a disc on your drive and hit F6 (or Run Test ->Burst Rate from menu).  check the reported burst rate.  this will give an idea on the transfer speed of your drive.  Refer to this for the maximum speed you can burn at.

I see. Do you have any suggestions as to what type/brand of enclosure will allow burning at the dvd-writer's rated speeds, or at least higher than the 4xmax I am getting now from my enclosure?

Thanks!

Offline idlewild

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #31 on: Jun 25, 2005 at 05:52 PM »
i can't really give suggestions since i've only used one brand.  yung That's na enclosure ko is only 7Mbps lang for your info.

Offline gaol

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: Jun 26, 2005 at 12:37 AM »
Thanks. Mine is the Matrix enclosure with the bag. I tried your suggestion and the burst speed is only 7Mbps also.

Offline gaol

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: Jul 13, 2005 at 12:11 PM »
@idlewild

I just got the lg gsa-5163d, i think it's the external version of the lg 4163. What 8x and up dvd+/-r brands work well with lg? How do you test for disk quality--the disc quality test of nero cd-dvd speed appears to be disabled for this drive.

Offline vinnov4

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: Jul 14, 2005 at 07:54 PM »
Based from different articles sa net about dvd medias, one of the best na gamitin is yung may media code na MMC. Natry ko na gumamit nitong MMC na to 6 pesos ata isa sa cdr king yung design nya plain white na may mga clover leaves na nak emboss ok naman, dvd+r siya. Para matest mo, bili ka tigi tigisa nung mga generic na dvdr sa cdr king or kung saan man tapos test burn mo lahat then decide kung alin ang pinakaok sa writer mo.

Offline idlewild

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: Jul 15, 2005 at 08:35 AM »
@gaol:
LG drives currently don't support PI/PIE scanning like the ones you see on BenQ, Lite-on, Plextoor and some NEC and Pioneer drives.  the best you can get are the transfer rate and scandisc tests.

as for media, i've been having good results with the iomega 8X DVD+R.  here's a review on the GSA-5163D showing its performance on various media.  this might help you decide on what media to use for your drive

@vinnov4:
MMC is a good media.  however, i have to say those P6 blanks you get CDR-king are fakes as i've also tried them and the scans don't look good and are far from the real thing (in comparison to those i see on the internet).  if you want to go for branded ones, get the Verbatim discs.

Offline gaol

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: Jul 15, 2005 at 10:04 AM »
@gaol:
LG drives currently don't support PI/PIE scanning like the ones you see on BenQ, Lite-on, Plextoor and some NEC and Pioneer drives.  the best you can get are the transfer rate and scandisc tests.

as for media, i've been having good results with the iomega 8X DVD+R.  here's a review on the GSA-5163D showing its performance on various media.  this might help you decide on what media to use for your drive

@vinnov4:
MMC is a good media.  however, i have to say those P6 blanks you get CDR-king are fakes as i've also tried them and the scans don't look good and are far from the real thing (in comparison to those i see on the internet).  if you want to go for branded ones, get the Verbatim discs.

Thanks for the input, vinnov4 and idlewild.

I purchased several disks each of ridata +r/-r 8X, and Philips +r/-r 8X, last night to do some tests also. I guess I'll have to hang on to my Sony DRU-720a during my informal testing to get some disk quality readings before selling it.

I've burned some Sony 8X DVD+R disks with the LG and so far, the results don't seem to be good (surprising since I think you mentioned that feedback for them is good). I've run out of Iomega disks and CDR-King is also out. Hopefully, they will restock soon.

BTW, idlewild, would you recommend flashing the LG drive to A104 RPC1 (its factory firmware is A104 RPC2) to get rid of the region coding? I've been using an older version of AnyDVD and it seems to be working fine.

Thanks again and cheers!
GAOL

P.S. The burst rate of the external LG is 22MB/s for USB2 and 26MB/s for firewire (might be faster if not daisy-chained with a firewire hard disk?), just in case you guys wanted to know.

Offline idlewild

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: Jul 15, 2005 at 11:09 AM »
I've burned some Sony 8X DVD+R disks with the LG and so far, the results don't seem to be good (surprising since I think you mentioned that feedback for them is good). I've run out of Iomega disks and CDR-King is also out. Hopefully, they will restock soon.

could you please post some scans on this media?  i have yet to try it on my LG, but according to a review made in cdfreaks, both Sony +R and -R media have good results.

Quote from: gaol
BTW, idlewild, would you recommend flashing the LG drive to A104 RPC1 (its factory firmware is A104 RPC2) to get rid of the region coding? I've been using an older version of AnyDVD and it seems to be working fine.

Thanks again and cheers!
GAOL

i haven't tried the RPC1 firmware for A104 since i'm already contented with its current firmware (also @ A104).  since you're  not having any problems with region coding, i'd suggest you stick with it.

P.S. The burst rate of the external LG is 22MB/s for USB2 and 26MB/s for firewire (might be faster if not daisy-chained with a firewire hard disk?), just in case you guys wanted to know.

wish i have an enclosure like yours :)

Offline gaol

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: Jul 15, 2005 at 12:31 PM »
could you please post some scans on this media?  i have yet to try it on my LG, but according to a review made in cdfreaks, both Sony +R and -R media have good results.

i haven't tried the RPC1 firmware for A104 since i'm already contented with its current firmware (also @ A104).  since you're  not having any problems with region coding, i'd suggest you stick with it.

wish i have an enclosure like yours :)

I'll see what I can do with the scans and will probably do some more burns. I haven't tried screen capturing in a long long while so I don't know what app to use now for winxp. Suggestions?

I went around looking for a good combo enclosure but I didn't find any. All I could find were USB enclosures in the same inexpensive price range as Thats, and Matrix, so I assumed their burst speeds would be limited also (none of them indicated these specs in their boxes). Ordering online would have cost probably as much as the external writer, maybe even more with shipping so I decided just to get the LG.

Offline idlewild

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: Jul 15, 2005 at 01:06 PM »
I'll see what I can do with the scans and will probably do some more burns. I haven't tried screen capturing in a long long while so I don't know what app to use now for winxp. Suggestions?

if you're using Nero CD-DVD Speed for quality scans, you can just press the diskette button at the title bar to save the result in PNG format.  the same also goes if you're using KProbe. 

I went around looking for a good combo enclosure but I didn't find any. All I could find were USB enclosures in the same inexpensive price range as Thats, and Matrix, so I assumed their burst speeds would be limited also (none of them indicated these specs in their boxes). Ordering online would have cost probably as much as the external writer, maybe even more with shipping so I decided just to get the LG.

i think you made the right decision getting the LG :)  most USB enclosures in the local market aren't performing as much as the specs stated.  i just hope someone could prove me wrong

Offline Burn-Addict

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: Jul 16, 2005 at 10:02 AM »

@vinnov4:

I haven't used the dvd+r clover embossed P6 yet, but my friend says it's quite good (by the way it's P8 not 6) and when you'll look at the disc's manufacturer id, it says Verbatim, I also wanted to try the that disc but it's out of stock.
However I've been using the CD Square Studio brand DVD+R 8x for P9, though LG doesn't burn it at 8x as it is forced to be burned at 4x, so far I have burned quite a few into this disc, and it is quite good. Anyone has a head's up if this disc is really good?

Offline vinnov4

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: Jul 16, 2005 at 08:18 PM »
OT ;D
About enclosures, maybe you guys would like to try the ide to usb converter. Exactly the same purpose as an enclosure pero ito wire lang siya and power supply. Good side is you can use it for your dvd drives and hard disks, just plug and play. Bad is you dont have an enclosure. Mahal kase yung enclosure e lalo na yung puwede pang hd and dvd drive. Shineshare ko lang, he he!

Offline snapy

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: Jul 18, 2005 at 08:09 AM »
UPDATE!!

DO NOT BUY RIDATA DVD+R

Almost all of my disc here bought yesterday has problems on burning d disc causing numerous problems.. or the cd coasters...

media code
RITEK R03

writer
PLEXTOR 708-A

RATING..

0/10!!

damn bakit ba pumapalit cla ng pinangbebentahan nilang cd.. are they insane?? this causes confusion!!..

Offline gaol

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: Jul 18, 2005 at 08:58 AM »
UPDATE!!

DO NOT BUY RIDATA DVD+R

Almost all of my disc here bought yesterday has problems on burning d disc causing numerous problems.. or the cd coasters...

media code
RITEK R03

writer
PLEXTOR 708-A

RATING..

0/10!!

d**n bakit ba pumapalit cla ng pinangbebentahan nilang cd.. are they insane?? this causes confusion!!..

I would agree also for both LG5163d and sony dru-720 writers.

Watch out as well for Philips 8X DVD+R--they are Ritek03 discs at heart--at least the batch of five that I got from CDR King Megamall last week.

Over the weekend I tested the following on my external LG5163d: Sony 8X DVD+R (DVD11), Philips 8X DVD+R (Ritek03 and an unnamed disk), Philips 8X DVD-R (Fujifilm03), Ritek 8X DVD+R, Ritek 8X DVD-R (RitekG05).

I got the best results from Philips/Fujifilm03 8X DVD-R and the RitekG05 8X DVD-R. The Sony DVD11 8X DVD+R was not as good, but the results are acceptable and slightly better than my initial results (maybe because I now connected/daisy-chained both the LG and external HD by firewire instead of HD-firewire and LG-USB).

I don't have an image hosting facility so I can't post the screenshots of Nero CD-DVD, but I can send them to those interested in confirming my results.

« Last Edit: Jul 18, 2005 at 09:01 AM by gaol »

Offline idlewild

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: Jul 18, 2005 at 09:07 AM »
@vinnov4: i've also seen these IDE to USB2 adapters and the good thing is, they're quite inexpensive.  i'd like to buy one but i'd like to be sure if it the transfer speed can support 16X writing for a DVD.  could you please post the reported burst rate of your drive which uses this adapter?  please refer to post #25 of this thread for info on how to get the burst rate.

@snapy: i haven't used RITEKR03 but i must say have no problems with the RITEKR02 discs from RiDATA.  i've been using the latter for almost all of my backups and fortunately, all data are still readable even after a couple of months.  i'm using both a Lite-on LDW-411S and an LG GSA-4163B.  IMHO, not all RiDATA DVD+Rs are really that bad.

@gaol: you can use imageshack's hosting (http://imageshack.us) for the images.  i would really love to see those scans :)

Offline gaol

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: Jul 18, 2005 at 11:13 AM »
SONY 8X DVD+R (DVD11) SCANS on External LG5163D @ 8X

1st test, Jpeg images, LG on USB2, external HD on firewire

2nd test, JPEG images, LG and external HD daisy-chained on firewire (PC>HD>LG)

3rd test, DVD-video, LG and external HD daisy-chained on firewire (PC>HD>LG)
« Last Edit: Jul 18, 2005 at 11:48 AM by gaol »

Offline gaol

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: Jul 18, 2005 at 12:10 PM »
PHILIPS 8X DVD+R (unnamed, RITEKR03) SCANS on External LG5163D @ 8X

1st test, JPEG images, LG and external HD daisy-chained on firewire (PC>HD>LG)

2nd test, DVD-video, LG and external HD daisy-chained on firewire (PC>HD>LG)

ON Sony DRU-720a in external enclosure

DVD-video, Sony on USB2, external HD on firewire

Offline gaol

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: Jul 18, 2005 at 12:15 PM »
PHILIPS 8X DVD-R (FUJIFILM03) SCANS on External LG5163D @ 8X

Offline gaol

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: Jul 18, 2005 at 12:20 PM »
RITEK 8X DVD-R (RITEKG05) SCANS on External LG5163D @ 8X

Offline gaol

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: Jul 18, 2005 at 12:26 PM »
RITEK 8X DVD+R SCANS on External LG5163D @ 8X

Offline idlewild

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: Jul 18, 2005 at 02:01 PM »
thanks for the scans :)  based on your posts, the LG seem to favor the FUJIFILM03 and the RITEKG05 as you previously noted.  the DVD11 is an acceptable scan, despite the higher PIF values.  the RITEKR03 would have given a good quality scan if not for the high spikes at the beginning.  your 3rd burn (with the Sony writer), however, is acceptable.  also do a transfer rate test on this media to check if there are no readability problems.

another thing, when you do a quality scan on your Sony, you need to select 4X speed as reading in maximum speed introduces more errors.  you can also use K-Probe for scanning as it's meant for Lite-on drives and its rebadges.

Offline snapy

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: Jul 18, 2005 at 06:09 PM »
@vinnov4: i've also seen these IDE to USB2 adapters and the good thing is, they're quite inexpensive.  i'd like to buy one but i'd like to be sure if it the transfer speed can support 16X writing for a DVD.  could you please post the reported burst rate of your drive which uses this adapter?  please refer to post #25 of this thread for info on how to get the burst rate.

@snapy: i haven't used RITEKR03 but i must say have no problems with the RITEKR02 discs from RiDATA.  i've been using the latter for almost all of my backups and fortunately, all data are still readable even after a couple of months.  i'm using both a Lite-on LDW-411S and an LG GSA-4163B.  IMHO, not all RiDATA DVD+Rs are really that bad.

@gaol: you can use imageshack's hosting (http://imageshack.us) for the images.  i would really love to see those scans :)

yes i know.. since dati ridata gamit ko sa lahat.. +R and -R.. d only problem bat biglang namimili tong writer ko na plextor.. any anwsers?

Offline gaol

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: Jul 18, 2005 at 07:26 PM »
thanks for the scans :)  based on your posts, the LG seem to favor the FUJIFILM03 and the RITEKG05 as you previously noted.  the DVD11 is an acceptable scan, despite the higher PIF values.  the RITEKR03 would have given a good quality scan if not for the high spikes at the beginning.  your 3rd burn (with the Sony writer), however, is acceptable.  also do a transfer rate test on this media to check if there are no readability problems.

another thing, when you do a quality scan on your Sony, you need to select 4X speed as reading in maximum speed introduces more errors.  you can also use K-Probe for scanning as it's meant for Lite-on drives and its rebadges.

Thanks for the feedback idlewild.

I rescanned the Ritek DVD+R, Philips/RitekR03 DVD+R, and Sony DVD+R DVD11 at 4x as you suggested. You were right, the Philips RitekR03 got ratings of 90+, and the Sony disks also improved.  The Ritek DVD+R (no identification as to whether it's also R03) still failed the test.

Given the results, I'm thinking of sticking to the Philips/Fujifilm DVD-R and RitekG05 DVD-R for data backup since they gave excellent results even at 8x scanning. (By the way, they it took both of them over 8 minutes to burn the video disk compared to the other disks that were under 7 minutes.) Since I understand you can't set DVD-Rs to DVD-ROM, they are not as recommended for DVD-video? That means, for my LG, I will have to go for the Sony DVD11 and then the Philips/RitekR03, or maybe the Iomega/CMC which is currently unavailable.

As for K-Probe, I've downloaded v2.4.2 and 2.4.3 but strangely the apps crash out on my pc, so I wasn't able to use them. I've disabled the RPC encoding using the LiteOn app, could this be the reason?
« Last Edit: Jul 18, 2005 at 07:35 PM by gaol »

Offline snapy

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: Jul 19, 2005 at 06:22 PM »
WARNING FOR ALL THE CUSTOMERS OF CDRKING!!

they do not replace or exchange ALL DVD DISC1!!.. wala daw sa policy nila..

paki complain nga to sa DTI para ma multahan nga to..!!

Offline idlewild

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: Jul 20, 2005 at 03:49 PM »
I rescanned the Ritek DVD+R, Philips/RitekR03 DVD+R, and Sony DVD+R DVD11 at 4x as you suggested. You were right, the Philips RitekR03 got ratings of 90+, and the Sony disks also improved. The Ritek DVD+R (no identification as to whether it's also R03) still failed the test.

about your Ritek DVD+R, by unnamed, do you mean there is no MID code for the media?

Given the results, I'm thinking of sticking to the Philips/Fujifilm DVD-R and RitekG05 DVD-R for data backup since they gave excellent results even at 8x scanning. (By the way, they it took both of them over 8 minutes to burn the video disk compared to the other disks that were under 7 minutes.) Since I understand you can't set DVD-Rs to DVD-ROM, they are not as recommended for DVD-video? That means, for my LG, I will have to go for the Sony DVD11 and then the Philips/RitekR03, or maybe the Iomega/CMC which is currently unavailable.

it also depends on your standalone player.  it is known that DVD-R is more compatible on most players, especially older ones.  DVD+R compatibility is mostly seen on newer models.  some manuals also come with a list of supported writeable media types so you can check if your burns will be playable.

As for K-Probe, I've downloaded v2.4.2 and 2.4.3 but strangely the apps crash out on my pc, so I wasn't able to use them. I've disabled the RPC encoding using the LiteOn app, could this be the reason?

it might be an incorrect ASPI layer.  run Nero's Infotool and go to the ASPI tab.  select System ASPI and check the version of your ASPI layer.  4.60 is currently the recommended version.

Offline gaol

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: Jul 20, 2005 at 03:59 PM »
about your Ritek DVD+R, by unnamed, do you mean there is no MID code for the media?

It seems that way. As we can see from the CD-DVD scan for the Ritek 8X DVD+R, it doesn't have an ID code, unlike the Philips/Ritek with RitekR03 as its ID.

it also depends on your standalone player.  it is known that DVD-R is more compatible on most players, especially older ones.  DVD+R compatibility is mostly seen on newer models.  some manuals also come with a list of supported writeable media types so you can check if your burns will be playable.

I'll double-check on my Pioneer players.

it might be an incorrect ASPI layer.  run Nero's Infotool and go to the ASPI tab.  select System ASPI and check the version of your ASPI layer.  4.60 is currently the recommended version.

Hmm, system ASPI is version 4.60 (1021), February 1, 2001.

Thanks!

Offline idlewild

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: Jul 20, 2005 at 05:50 PM »
It seems that way. As we can see from the CD-DVD scan for the Ritek 8X DVD+R, it doesn't have an ID code, unlike the Philips/Ritek with RitekR03 as its ID.

i see.  it's strange it doesn't have a MID code considering it's a branded disc.  as the burner uses different write strategies depending on the MID code of a media, it's forced to use the default strategy which does not guarantee a good burn.  no wonder you have those results.

Offline vinnov4

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: Jul 20, 2005 at 11:27 PM »
Sa mga older units standalone dvd players ayaw talaga magbasa ng dvd+r. I encountered this on my old nextbase 9000 player dvd-r lang binabasa niya and di din niya mabasa yung isang inauthor ko na dvd sa dvd-r media. Yung mga bago dvd- and + binabasa pati yung ginawa ko.

Posible bang kaya nagiging coaster kase mapili talaga yung dvd writer? Yung Samsung ko kase nasa 20 dvds na nabuburn ko lahat generic wala pang coaster.

Offline gaol

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: Jul 21, 2005 at 07:07 AM »
i see.  it's strange it doesn't have a MID code considering it's a branded disc.  as the burner uses different write strategies depending on the MID code of a media, it's forced to use the default strategy which does not guarantee a good burn.  no wonder you have those results.

Looks like the lg really doesn't support/like the ritek disk, as mentioned by the crfreaks review. I checked a blank ritek 8x dvd+r disk and it was identified as ritekr03, but after burning with the lg (using nero express and an iso file) the mid code disappeared. Strange though that with the philips/ritek disk it didn't.

Offline xenxor

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: Jul 21, 2005 at 10:42 AM »
Looks like the lg really doesn't support/like the ritek disk, as mentioned by the crfreaks review. I checked a blank ritek 8x dvd+r disk and it was identified as ritekr03, but after burning with the lg (using nero express and an iso file) the mid code disappeared. Strange though that with the philips/ritek disk it didn't.

what if you burned plain files and not a disk image (like iso),  does the MID disappear too?
anong itsura ng Ritek 8X DVD+R na yan.  iyan ba yung white printables or those with the blue surface?