Author Topic: Metro Manila Film Festival (MMFF) 2004  (Read 26450 times)

Offline llanesmark777

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Addict
  • You don't know the power of the dark side.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Metro Manila Film Festival (MMFF) 2004
« on: Aug 06, 2004 at 10:18 PM »
December is already near!!! Yes maybe Christmas time once again. But it's MMF 2004 again. Unfortunately!!! ill name some of the official film fest entires

Mano Po 3: Another one?! Not again!!! Masyado nawili.
Que Sera Sera
Enteng Kabisote: Vic Sotto
Lastikman: Not Vic Sotto
Ais**te Imasu 1941: by Joel Lamangan
Sigaw: by Yam Laranas
Bulong: Spirit of the glass dir by Jose Javier Reyes
Panaghoy sa Suba "Moans from the River" Dir. Cesar Montano

If im not mistaken there are 9 official entries.
3 of them were directed by Joel Lamangan.
No entry for Unitel Pictures: Affraid?
No entries from Star Cinema
No entry for Violett films
No entry for Seiko films
No enrty for Dir. Maryo J. Delos Reyes

3 films for Joel Lamangan. Yeah right another mainstream for sure!!! Kikita yung pelikula niya for sure dahil sa promotion or publicity at star studed kasi. Classic pinoy films pa din. And films from Violett Films and Unitel Pictures lang for me so far ang nakakagawa ng maganda sa ngayon.
« Last Edit: Oct 10, 2004 at 12:20 AM by llanesmark777 »

Offline llanesmark777

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
Re: Metro Manila Film Festival (MMF) 2004
« Reply #1 on: Aug 06, 2004 at 10:18 PM »
I hope there are films that none mainstream 2 films from Violett films did not make it. Atleast 1. Are they affraid of the one who make Magnifico? Are they affraid of Maryo J. Delos Reyes work?!  >:(
« Last Edit: Aug 06, 2004 at 10:21 PM by llanesmark777 »

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Aug 06, 2004 at 10:25 PM »
There are reports that Vilma Santos will do Mano Po 3 for Regal Films after rejecting Peque Gallaga's....Lipa Miracles.

Regal is cashing on MP just like following the footsteps of Coppola's Godfather saga.  ;D

Bro will there be any Jeffrey Jeturian flicks?

Offline llanesmark777

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Aug 06, 2004 at 10:33 PM »
There are reports that Vilma Santos will do Mano Po 3 for Regal Films after rejecting Peque Gallaga's....Lipa Miracles.

Regal is cashing on MP just like following the footsteps of Coppola's Godfather saga.  ;D

Bro will there be any Jeffrey Jeturian flicks?

If im not mistaken they rejected jeffrey jeturian. I know dapat meron sya. iread it yesterday. ang alam ko di nakapasok. :( Vilma Santos rather choose Joel Lamangan over Peque  Gallaga's Lipa Miracle. Parang di sya Mayor dun a. Peace!!! thanks :)

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Aug 06, 2004 at 10:38 PM »
I was disappointed for Vilma Santos bro just like you. Imagine choosing inept Lamangan over Peque.  :(

The age role was the problem according to the report. I thought she can do anything....

Offline llanesmark777

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Aug 06, 2004 at 10:41 PM »
I was disappointed for Vilma Santos bro just like you. Imagine choosing inept Lamangan over Peque.  :(

The age role was the problem according to the report. I thought she can do anything....

You are right!!! Ewan ko ba kung bakit madami ang gusto sa mga Pelikula ni Lamangan. Parepareho lang naman ng concept.

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Aug 07, 2004 at 12:17 AM »

You are right!!! Ewan ko ba kung bakit madami ang gusto sa mga Pelikula ni Lamangan. Parepareho lang naman ng concept.

personally what infuriates me about the MMFF is the fact that they allowed Mother Lily to once again have two entries Que Sera Sera for Regal & Mano Po 3 under MAQ Productions. this is preposterous... why not include Jeturian's Pagsapit Ng Dilim instead of three Lamangan movies.

frankly the only Lamangan movie that i liked was Bakit May Kahapon Pa? i didn't even care for The Flor Contemplacion Story & Sidhi which were all Nora Aunor movies although i watched them all but never really liked them. i think Joel Lamangan is overrated... well that's my personal opinion.

Offline llanesmark777

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Aug 09, 2004 at 11:11 AM »
Films did not qualify are:

Pagkagat ng Dilim
Bikini Open
Minsan Pa
Lihim STAR CINEMA
Black Eye by:Maryo J. Delos Reyes VIOLETT FILMS
Guardiya de Honor by: Mel Chonglo VIOLETT FILMS
« Last Edit: Aug 09, 2004 at 11:12 AM by llanesmark777 »

Offline RitchieNolasco

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Aug 09, 2004 at 08:20 PM »

personally what infuriates me about the MMFF is the fact that they allowed Mother Lily to once again have two entries Que Sera Sera for Regal & Mano Po 3 under MAQ Productions. this is preposterous... why not include Jeturian's Pagsapit Ng Dilim instead of three Lamangan movies.

frankly the only Lamangan movie that i liked was Bakit May Kahapon Pa? i didn't even care for The Flor Contemplacion Story & Sidhi which were all Nora Aunor movies although i watched them all but never really liked them. i think Joel Lamangan is overrated... well that's my personal opinion.

A report in the papers stated that the MMFF's rules were violated wherein there are 4 movies that are all linked to Mother Lily. MAQ and Regal are obviously Lily, but there are two films whose movie companies are reportedly "controlled" by Lily.

If the report is true, Mother Lily has a monopoly or unfair quad.

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Aug 09, 2004 at 09:11 PM »

A report in the papers stated that the MMFF's rules were violated wherein there are 4 movies that are all linked to Mother Lily. MAQ and Regal are obviously Lily, but there are two films whose movie companies are reportedly "controlled" by Lily.

If the report is true, Mother Lily has a monopoly or unfair quad.

i read it immediately after my post... it's true that Mother Lily has four entries this coming MMFF that's why Vic del Rosario is very upset. talk about monopoly... although Mother Lily's camp stated that Basfilms & Mega Vision are not really affialiated with Regal but of course once we get to see the movie one of the producers would be a Monteverde.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Aug 10, 2004 at 12:33 PM »

One of the few things I liked about that movie, the other being Jaime Fabregas as the defense lawyer (his Spanish was better than Cesar Montano's).

Noel, how about Peque as Monsignor Nozaleda? Maybe I should  make a thread on Directors turned actors.

Offline Phobos

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Forum Nazi
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Aug 10, 2004 at 01:20 PM »
I've taken the liberty of taking all your "Joel Lamangan" posts and made a separate topic. Sorry for being a such a stickler for the rules guys. I just want to make it easy for people in the future to find information in the topic that it's supposed to be in.

I've also renamed the topic title to say MMFFP to differentiate this festival from the other MMFF festival.
« Last Edit: Aug 10, 2004 at 01:22 PM by Phobos »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm afraid of the quiet man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #12 on: Aug 11, 2004 at 02:24 PM »

Noel, how about Peque as Monsignor Nozaleda? Maybe I should  make a thread on Directors turned actors.

Hm. I don't really remember him there, but Peque's a terrific actor too. He was very good in one episode of that 1886 series where he played a monk or priest. And of course, he's great, heartbreaking even, in Tatlong Taong Walang Diyos.

I wouldn't say I prefer him as an actor (he, after all, did Scorpio Nights) but I'd say he has a fallback job in case he doesn't want to direct anymore.

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Aug 11, 2004 at 08:14 PM »

Hm. I don't really remember him there, but Peque's a terrific actor too. He was very good in one episode of that 1886 series where he played a monk or priest. And of course, he's great, heartbreaking even, in Tatlong Taong Walang Diyos.

I wouldn't say I prefer him as an actor (he, after all, did Scorpio Nights) but I'd say he has a fallback job in case he doesn't want to direct anymore.

i agree with Noel that Peque was very good in Tatlong Taon... he also did a good job in Jose Rizal. as a matter of fact there were a lot of directors who acted in it like Chito Rono & Joel Lamangan even Jeffrey Jeturian.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Aug 11, 2004 at 08:37 PM »

i agree with Noel that Peque was very good in Tatlong Taon... he also did a good job in Jose Rizal. as a matter of fact there were a lot of directors who acted in it like Chito Rono & Joel Lamangan even Jeffrey Jeturian.

I didn't notice Jeffrey there...Jo.

What was his part?

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Aug 11, 2004 at 08:44 PM »

I didn't notice Jeffrey there...Jo.

What was his part?

he was one of the guests during the big party scene... nando'n din si Chito Rono.

Offline acyl_halide

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
Re: Metro Manila Film Festival (MMFFP) 2004
« Reply #16 on: Aug 12, 2004 at 04:50 PM »
Sayang....this MMFF could have salvaged what has been a very dismal year for Filipino cinema. It is already August and so far less than 30 Pinoy films have been shown.

Just imagine what this festival could have been with the following rejected films:

HEREMIAS to be directed by Lav Diaz
Pagkagat ng Dilim by Jeffrey Jetturian
Bikini Open by Jeffrey Jetturian (apparently SM Cinemas have made this policy of not showing R-18 films)
Black Eye written by Michiko Yamamoto and to be directed by Mary J. delos Reyes
Minsan Pa by Jeffrey Jetturian
Star Walker to be directed by Peque Gallaga
Guardia de Honor written by Ricky Lee and to be directed by Mel Chionglo
Once Upon A Life by Gil Portes (i'm not a fan of his but this film stars Ricky Davao, Angel Aquino and Raymond Bagatsing)
Full House to be directed by Albert Martinez (it would be interesting to see what he can do, we have very few actors who have made it big as directors akin to the likes of perhaps  Clint Eastwood, Robert Redford and even Mel Gibson)

« Last Edit: Aug 12, 2004 at 04:52 PM by acyl_halide »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Aug 12, 2004 at 08:54 PM »
Sayang....this MMFF could have salvaged what has been a very dismal year for Filipino cinema. It is already August and so far less than 30 Pinoy films have been shown.

Just imagine what this festival could have been with the following rejected films:

HEREMIAS to be directed by Lav Diaz
Pagkagat ng Dilim by Jeffrey Jetturian
Bikini Open by Jeffrey Jetturian (apparently SM Cinemas have made this policy of not showing R-18 films)
Black Eye written by Michiko Yamamoto and to be directed by Mary J. delos Reyes
Minsan Pa by Jeffrey Jetturian
Star Walker to be directed by Peque Gallaga
Guardia de Honor written by Ricky Lee and to be directed by Mel Chionglo
Once Upon A Life by Gil Portes (i'm not a fan of his but this film stars Ricky Davao, Angel Aquino and Raymond Bagatsing)
Full House to be directed by Albert Martinez (it would be interesting to see what he can do, we have very few actors who have made it big as directors akin to the likes of perhaps  Clint Eastwood, Robert Redford and even Mel Gibson)

It could have been the 2nd Golden Age of MMFF if these entries were accepted....looks like it will just be a Joel Lamangan Film Festival.  :P

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Aug 13, 2004 at 03:26 AM »

he was one of the guests during the big party scene... nando'n din si Chito Rono.

I remember chito, enigmatic chinoy smile and all. don't remember jeff, guess he didn't make an impression...

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Aug 13, 2004 at 05:22 AM »

I remember chito, enigmatic chinoy smile and all. don't remember jeff, guess he didn't make an impression...

it was more of a walk on part... you can hardly notice him.

Offline RitchieNolasco

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Aug 16, 2004 at 08:57 PM »
THE 2004 Metro Manila Film Festival executive committee is investigating the complaint that four of the final eight movies in the lineup of the December festival are produced by Lily Monteverde.

"You can rest assured that this issue will be decided judiciously and fairly by the Execom at the soonest possible time," Metro Manila Development Authority Chair Bayani Fernando, who is also chair of the festival's executive committee, said in a letter to MLR Films producer Jojie Alonso.

Fernando said the committee has written Monteverde about the investigation and has asked for a reply.

Alonso had said four of the movies in the final festival lineup-"Mano Po 3," "Aicrape Imasu 1941," "Que Sera Sera," "Sigaw"-are "productions of the Monteverde group." "Que Sera Sera" was identified as a production of Regal Entertainment and "Sigaw" of MegaVision.

The other finalists are Viva's "Lastikman," OctoArts' "Enteng Kabisote," "Bulong" from OctoArts satellite company Canary Films, and Cesar Montano's "Panaghoy sa Suba."

'Unwise, impractical'

Alonso last week filed a complaint with the MMDA, saying the members of the MMFF executive committee "appear" to have adjusted rules and regulations "to favor certain producers over others." She cited what she called violations of the rules on deadline and casting, among others.

MLR Films had submitted "Minsan Pa," starring Jomari Yllana and Ara Mina, which did not qualify for the year-end festival.

Alonso said, "We still hope that Chairman Fernando will take action and nullify the entire selection process so as not to make the MMDA a party to this injustice."

In his letter to Alonso, Fernando pointed out that more movie producers couldn't have submitted entries to the film festival if the deadline had not been extended from the original July 1 to July 10, then to July

Fernando said "it would have been unwise and impractical not to" move the deadline because, after the second deadline extension, "there were only 10 screenplays from which we could choose eight best screenplays."

'Hypocrisy'

Only three screenplays ("Minsan Pa," "Sa Pagkagat ng Dilim" and "Panaghoy sa Suba") had been submitted by July 1, according to the executive committee.

This prompted the committee to move the deadline to July 10, on which seven other entries were submitted.

But the deadline was moved again, this time to July 23. A final total of 27 screenplays were gathered.

MLR Films submitted its entry last June 23.

Fernando said in his letter that keeping other movie companies from presenting their screenplays "could have negated one of the main purposes of the festival, which is to encourage as many producers as possible to submit their film projects."

Alonso called Fernando's explanation "hypocrisy of the highest order."

"Not only is it an affront to the intelligence of the viewing public," Alonso said in a statement sent to Inquirer Entertainment, "it tramples, insults and downgrades the work(s) of the writer(s) of the 10 submitted screenplays."

Juday cleared

In his letter, Fernando also cleared Judy Ann Santos of violating festival rules and regulation for appearing in two entries-MAQ Films' "Mano Po 3" and BasFilm Productions' "Aicrape Imasu 1941."

Fernando explained that the festival rules allow an actor who is the lead star in one festival entry to appear in another entry in a supporting role.

"Please be informed that the lead actress of 'Mano Po 3' is Vilma Santos, and therefore all other actresses therein are considered supporting stars," Fernando pointed out in his letter.

"If Judy Ann Santos was mentioned as a lead star of 'Mano Po 3' it could have been an honest mistake by the production company."

MLR Films' "Minsan Pa," written by award-winning scriptwriter Armando "Bing" Lao, also features Marianne de la Riva, Tirso Cruz III, and Christian Vasquez.

In an interview with Inquirer Entertainment on the set of "Minsan Pa" at the Basilica de Sto. Ni?o in Cebu City last Friday, Alonso said she is carefully studying the points that Fernando raised in his letter.

"I asked Bing (Lao) to do research and explain to me the responsibilities of a lead actress as opposed to a supporting actress," said Alonso. "He gave me a rundown.

"Because I am a lawyer, I want to fully understand my case," Alonso added. "I don't want to come out as someone who is merely sour-grapping."

Perpetuating irregularities

Alonso said "the MMDA executive committee has miserably failed to address the scarred integrity of the selection process. To simply continue as if everything was in order, without resolving the problem, is tantamount to perpetuating the irregularities, wittingly or unwittingly."

Alonso filed her complaint after movie producers Vic del Rosario, Violet Sevilla, Tony Gloria and director Joey Javier Reyes aired their disappointment over the film festival executive committee's selection of the final eight movies.

"I'm not in a position to criticize the executive committee," Reyes had told Inquirer Entertainment in an earlier interview. "I don't exactly know how they choose the Magic 8. What I feel sad about is that it's as if the film fest is veering away from its goal of saving the dying local movie industry.

"She cannot deny that she has four entries," Del Rosario had said of Monteverde. "The whole industry knows she has four film festival entries, and that's very unfair to the other producers."

Offline llanesmark777

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Aug 27, 2004 at 09:48 AM »

It could have been the 2nd Golden Age of MMFF if these entries were accepted....looks like it will just be a Joel Lamangan Film Festival.  :P

Can i add?, Joel Lamangan and Lily Montiverde film festival  :)

Offline llanesmark777

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Oct 10, 2004 at 12:19 AM »
I've also renamed the topic title to say MMFFP to differentiate this festival from the other MMFF festival.

Yes, I know!!! Its some kind of an error while im typing the topic!! And i cant change it anymore!!! Sorry for that "Im just human".  :P
« Last Edit: Oct 10, 2004 at 12:22 AM by llanesmark777 »

Offline llanesmark777

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
Re: Metro Manila Film Festival (MMFF) 2004
« Reply #23 on: Nov 23, 2004 at 01:12 PM »
 Sigaw maybe one of the best films this year. Or only the best in MMFF 2004.  :) Another asian horror perhaps!

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Nov 24, 2004 at 07:25 PM »
Lav Diaz always call MMFF as Festival of Idiots.  ;D

Behn Cervantes call it PESTE BAL.  ;D
« Last Edit: Nov 24, 2004 at 07:28 PM by keating »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Nov 25, 2004 at 08:44 AM »
Lav Diaz always call MMFF as Festival of Idiots.  ;D

Behn Cervantes call it PESTE BAL.  ;D

;D

Offline llanesmark777

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Nov 25, 2004 at 09:47 AM »
Having an award from MMFF is not a basis of a good film. Urian will be. MMFF is biased

Offline xage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Suspended
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Nov 25, 2004 at 11:33 AM »
Having an award from MMFF is not a basis of a good film. Urian will be. MMFF is biased

And yet this are only within the soil of poor taste of pinoys... pabongga effect etc...

bottomline..they are nominating low class quality films
[img width=163 height=49]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b221/x

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Nov 25, 2004 at 02:33 PM »

agree except for Ishmael Bernal's HIMALA which in my book remains the best performance by an actress in Phil. Cinema .....

still MMFF produced such classic gems like Ganito Kami Noon, Paano Kayo Ngayon, Brutal, Moral, Insiang, Kung Mangarap kat Magising, Jose Rizal, Himala.....
« Last Edit: Nov 25, 2004 at 03:32 PM by keating »

Offline llanesmark777

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Nov 30, 2004 at 09:30 AM »
Famas for me so far is good in giving such awards!!! But my friend told me that it is also biased. Films won an award international are the best basis of a good filipino film these days.