Author Topic: Metro Manila Film Festival (MMFF) 2004  (Read 26336 times)

Offline Phobos

• Konsehal
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Forum Nazi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Metro Manila Film Festival (MMFF) 2004
« Reply #30 on: Dec 20, 2004 at 04:37 PM »
Let's guess what movies this year's entries have ripped off:

Sigaw ripped off Dark Water
So..Happy Together ripped off The Next Best Thing
Mano Po 3 is just a rehash of Mano Po 1 & 2, which are just rehashes of The Joy Luck Club
Lastikman lifted a lot of elements from the Spider-Man movies
Aicrape Imasu looks like M Butterfly.

Anything else?
« Last Edit: Dec 20, 2004 at 05:00 PM by Phobos »

Offline commentary

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: Dec 20, 2004 at 05:22 PM »
Are we even going to bother watching anything this year?

Man... a strong stance should really be made by filmmakers and audiences to boycott the festival.  It stands for and represents so many things wrong with Philippine Cinema.

Offline Phobos

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Forum Nazi
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: Dec 20, 2004 at 05:27 PM »
I'm all for boycotting the festival. God bless DVDs.

Offline llanesmark777

• DVD Addict
  • You don't know the power of the dark side.
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: Dec 20, 2004 at 09:58 PM »
I'm all for boycotting the festival. God bless DVDs.

Me too dude!  :) Thank God really for DVDs. Altough its expensive. but its worth naman to watch good films on your own home theater. Rather than paying 70 pesos or 150 pesos in a film that is not worth to watch. Better luck next time Film Producers and Directors. The festival is fine for ordinary movie goers. If im going to watch any of them. My personal rating for sure is 2 out of 5. The movie trailers were spoilers  :D

Offline commentary

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: Dec 22, 2004 at 02:10 PM »
Out of curiosity, has anyone seen Lav Diaz's comments about the MMFF, and Cesar Montano's comments about Lav?

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: Dec 22, 2004 at 02:26 PM »
I read Lav Diaz' comment on MMFF.....he called it THE FESTIVAL OF IDIOTS and Behn Cervantes also has the same predicament calling it PESTE BAL.

Offline commentary

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: Dec 22, 2004 at 02:34 PM »
From what I've heard-- and maybe someone can verify this-- Cesar Montano said, regarding Lav's comments, "Wag niyong pasinin yan.  Bigay mo ng pabili ng queso de bola. Wala lang pambili ng queso de bola yan."
« Last Edit: Dec 22, 2004 at 02:38 PM by commentary »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: Dec 22, 2004 at 03:01 PM »
I haven't heard that comment by Cesar Montano commentary. It seems Lav Diaz really needs a hit movie.

Out of topic has he settle his dispute with Mother Lily regarding
Hesus Rebolusyonaryo? He was not paid with that movie prompting him to sue the Regal Matriarch.
« Last Edit: Dec 22, 2004 at 03:04 PM by keating »

Offline commentary

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: Dec 22, 2004 at 03:23 PM »
I thought it was a pretty stupid remark by Cesar Montano.  It would be of some validity if Lav had an inclination toward wanting mainstream appeal or was making films for the sake of money.  He wants his work to be seen, of course, but the emphasis on that sentence is on his-- meaning not compromising his vision for his work.

As far as I know keating, he hasn't gotten paid the rest of his salary from Mother/Regal.

Offline RitchieNolasco

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: Dec 22, 2004 at 04:21 PM »
After much consideration, I have finally decided to go watch Cesar Montano's Bisaya flick. Other than that, maybe I'll watch Spirit of the Glass.

Originally, I'm supposed to boycott next week's MMFF since the fest is already hit with big scandals since months ago. Why support producers who got involved (Mother Lily and Joel Lamangan and their movies anyones???) in such scandals that rocked the entire industry into a pile of dust? Why would Mother Lily and Lamangan deserve our time and money knowing how unfair they really are respecitvely?

I won't be watching Mano Po 3, the conclusion to Mother Lily's "Godfather saga of the Philippines".

Mother Lily and Lamangan should both retire in my opinion.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm afraid of the quiet man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #40 on: Dec 23, 2004 at 08:11 AM »
From what I've heard-- and maybe someone can verify this-- Cesar Montano said, regarding Lav's comments, "Wag niyong pasinin yan.  Bigay mo ng pabili ng queso de bola. Wala lang pambili ng queso de bola yan."

Don't pay attention to Montano. He's been hanging around the meat market so long all the gay festival programmers know about Ishmael Bernal's former boy-toy.

"Yes, Jose Rizal. It's a film. Starring Cesar Montano. Yes, that Cesar..."

« Last Edit: Dec 23, 2004 at 10:25 AM by Noel_Vera »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: Dec 23, 2004 at 08:37 AM »
I thought it was a pretty stupid remark by Cesar Montano.  It would be of some validity if Lav had an inclination toward wanting mainstream appeal or was making films for the sake of money.  He wants his work to be seen, of course, but the emphasis on that sentence is on his-- meaning not compromising his vision for his work.

As far as I know keating, he hasn't gotten paid the rest of his salary from Mother/Regal.

yeah....hindi raw kasi pang-commercial yung HESUS REBOLUSYONARYO Mother told Lav Diaz. It lasted only two days in the theatres.

So the next day Lav came face to face with Mother's battery of lawyers.....how sad because it was the Regal Matriarch also who gave him break via KRIMINAL NG BARYO CONCEPCION.

Offline commentary

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: Dec 24, 2004 at 09:22 PM »
Note: If you agree and choose to participate in the boycott, email your name to: [email protected]

WHY I WON'T WATCH ANY FILMS IN THE METRO MANILA FILM FESTIVAL

It has long been said that Philippine Cinema is on its death-bed. This statement is incorrect. The Philippine film industry, not Cinema as a whole, is; and rightly so. Hundreds of millions of pesos are wasted by the Film Industry investing in works that can not hold a candle to smaller, independent productions, both long (Lav Diaz's towering achievements: the 5-hour "Batang West Side" and the 11-hour "Ebolusyon ng Isang Pamilyang Pilipino," which has screened in New York and Toronto, and will also be travelling to Rotterdam and Goteborg) and short (Sherad Anthony Sanchez's 11-minute "Apple," a powerful, moving elegy on the loss of youth and innocence through child-prostitution, premiering in Rotterdam this January alongside "Ebolusyon" and works by Khavn Dela Cruz and Rox Lee) that are invested with passion and made with purpose.

Earlier this year I wrote I an article about the Metro Manila Film Festival for Indiefilipino.com (http://film.indiefilipino.com/item.php?id=118), lamenting not just the lack of desire to show quality films, but also the ridiculous selection process of the "festival". Said article can be read at the end of this email.

This year's festival is an even bigger mockery than the last, with 4 of the 8 participating films being produced or co-produced by Regal Films head Mother Lily and 3 films being directed by Joel Lamangan.

How is that for pushing for a progressive diverse cinema?

The Philippine Film Industry is on its death-bed...the Metro Manila Film Festival is holding the last nail to seal its coffin. The audience holds the hammer.

If you want to see the best of what Philippine Cinema has to offer, if you want stand up for the choice of better movies, better values, and a better cinema, do not watch any of the films in the Metro Manila Film Festival. I certainly won't.

P.S.
The Breakfast Show on Studio 23 will be airing a special episode dedicated to Philippine Independent Cinema in 2004, 6:30-8:00am this Friday December 31.

If you would like to see and hear from the filmmakers behind some of the best and most interesting works in Philippine Cinema in 2004, tune-in. Featured guests are Khavn Dela Cruz ("Ang Pamilyang Kumakain ng Lupa"), John Torres ("Salat" and "Tawid Gutom"), Pam Miras ("Blood Bank"), Lav Diaz ("Ebolusyon ng Isang Pamilyang Pilipino"), Rox Lee ("Romeo Must Rock"), "Bunso" by Ditsi Carolino (film discussed, filmmaker not present), Mes De Guzman ("Diliman") and Raya Martin ("The Island at the End of the World").

------------------------
[taken from Indiefilipino.com]
REINVIGORATING PHILIPPINE CINEMA
The Possibilities of the Metro Manila Film Festival
by Alexis Tioseco

Alexis Tioseco writes about the inanity that is the Metro Manila Film Festival, and suggests ways in which to improve the farce   

Audiences and industry folk alike have long been preaching the death of Philippine cinema. We gaze back fondly through sepia shades and smile at the glory of our past, shake and scratch our heads lamenting over our pathetic present, and blink and miss opportunities to improve our future.

The Metro Manila Film Festival is a great idea to support the local film industry. It reserves the time of year when most people are able to enjoy days of leisure, and allows only locally-produced films to be shown in commercial theaters. At the same time, it stages a "Film Festival," a term that carries with it the connotation of presenting films of a higher-than-normal quality, and supposedly highlights our best works, bestowing them with awards and showcasing them: allowing the films to humor, move, teach, challenge, identify with and unite the county in a celebration of art and the best of what the Filipino is capable of.

The Metro Manila Film Festival is a great idea to support the local film industry.

Unfortunately, it is only an idea.

As it exists today, the Metro Manila Film Festival accomplishes all of the above-- reserves the Christmas season for a display of local works, stages a "Film Festival," and gives out awards. What is lacking, however-- sorely, painfully, sadly-- is the driving desire to show quality films.

The decision of whether a film will or will not be accepted into the Metro Manila Film Festival is made all the way back in July, usually before even a single frame of film for ANY of the projects to be considered has been shot.

If shooting of the film has not yet begun, how then, one might ask, are the films chosen? Based on the script?

If the script has been written, yes.

But what if, as of July, there is no script-- as was the case with Regal Films entry Mano Po 2?

Why, no matter, simply submit an outline of the plot.

And if there is no plot yet?

Umm... a list of the cast will be fine.

And if the entire cast has not yet been confirmed?

A proposed list will do just as well.

Are you beginning to see the inanity of it all?

What would happen, if, say, the announced director of a project drops out, and the submitted script; the script that the selection committee read and was the basis for the film's inclusion (and ranking) in the festival, is completely re-written? This was the case with one of 2003's MMFF entries, Captain Barbell: Quark Henares dropped out as director, and the original script written by Lyndon Santos and Ramon De Veyra that was approved by the Metro Manila Film Fest was re-written by RJ Nuevas beyond any semblance of its former self.

Would not this illicit a second look by the selection committee? Would it not warrant an investigation into whether the film still merited its slot (and ranking) in the festival?

As this year's festival's selection committee made apparent: No. Captain Barbell stayed in the festival without so much as a peep or raised eyebrow from the selection committee, nor, heaven forbid, a read-through of the new script or preview of the film beforehand.

What exactly is the criterion for the selection of films into the MMFF? Director Joey Romero, a member of the screening committee, broke it down in a December 13 article that appeared in the Philippine Daily Inquirer: creativity and style, 50 %; commercial viability, 30%; and exemplifying Filipino culture and history, 20%.

EXCUSE ME?!

Before anything else, let us remember that the selection committee makes their choices, at most, based on the script. Sometimes, as has been outlined above, the decision is made based on much less than that. Disregarding the idiocy of the film's script being the final arbiter of its inclusion in a Film Festival, let alone a script that is often radically changed before, during, and after shooting, but to judge a film's CREATIVITY AND STYLE, or COMMERCIAL VIABILITY, based on its script?! A film is not the equivalent of a book of prose-- audiences don't read it; they see and hear it, and creativity and style in the written form don't necessarily translate to creativity and style on the big screen.

The MMFF is a great idea to support the local film industry. But in order to turn that idea into a reality, some serious changes need to be made.

Imagine a December festival done properly: one that, for example, chose to bring back the best films of the past year, chosen after viewing the finished film, not the cast list, not the plot, not the first draft of the script. Imagine a festival that awarded the acclaimed but overlooked films of the past year, such as Maryo J. Delos Reyes's Magnifico, Quark Henares's Keka, Mario O'Hara's Babae sa Breakwater, or even Lav Diaz's Singapore and Brussels Film Festival Best Film awardee Batang West Side of 2 years ago (a film that has received awards and been screened in numerous prestigious film festivals abroad, but which until now has never seen a commercial release in the Philippines), and re-released and re-introduced them to local audiences.

Imagine a festival that dared to do something as radical yet practical as encourage and promote our young and courageous independent filmmakers, artists like Khavn Dela Cruz, RA Rivera, Ditsi Carolino, Ramona Diaz, Sari and Kiri Dalena, and Raymond and Jon Red (to name but a few), by showing their works theatrically, either before a film or in combination as a feature in itself, introducing them to Philippine audiences.

What if, perhaps, 2 or 3 classic films were chosen each year to be shown during the festival, to re-introduce to Philippine audiences young and old the important works of our cultural history?

What we would have, then, is a breeding ground for the education of our audience towards our cinema's past, a display of the absolute best of its present, and a harvest of the seeds of its future.

Having a festival where a prime consideration for a film's acceptance or rejection is its "commercial viability," is utterly ridiculous. Without getting into the argument over the selection committee's mystical methodology for determining a work's "commercial viability" (based simply on the reading of a cast list, plot, or even script) it is safe to say that this should not even be of concern to the festival organizers. Choosing the best possible films should be their main concern, as making the best possible films should be the concern of the filmmakers. The audience is there-- the responsibility in a festival such as this does not lie in showing them what we believe they want to see, but simply showing the absolute best of what we have to offer.

The Metro Manila Festival is a good idea for a way to support the local film industry. But without a drastic overhaul in regard to its implementation, it will remain simply an idea.

-------------------------------------------------------
Alexis Tioseco awaits the death of Philippine Cinema with optimism.
« Last Edit: Dec 26, 2004 at 05:13 PM by commentary »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: Dec 25, 2004 at 02:03 AM »
Good article, comm (okay, I've read and liked it before), but flaws and all, you do agree that we have great, world-class talent here, and films, don't you? I know your stance, but I'd like to have it out loud on this here thread...

Offline commentary

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: Dec 25, 2004 at 02:56 PM »
Good article, comm (okay, I've read and liked it before), but flaws and all, you do agree that we have great, world-class talent here, and films, don't you? I know your stance, but I'd like to have it out loud on this here thread...

Loud and clear-- from Lav Diaz to Mario O'Hara to Quark Henares to Ditsi Carolino to Khavn Dela Cruz to RA Rivera to Rox Lee to Sherad Anthony Sanchez (Quark's student in fact, made a great short titled "Apple") to Raya Martin to ...

the list goes on.  We're not short on talent.  We're short on funding and exposure.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: Dec 25, 2004 at 04:14 PM »
Thanks for going on record, comm.

Offline commentary

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: Dec 25, 2004 at 06:24 PM »
Not a problem sir.  Sent you an e-mail btw.

Offline Klaus Weasley

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 511
« Reply #47 on: Dec 25, 2004 at 08:49 PM »
Controversy again?!?!?

Can't we have an MMFF without someone bitching? I think we should just scrap the entire thing since only one or two movies are any good and the rest are all either the same old boring crap or laughingly insipid aping of Hollywood blockbusters.

Offline oggsmoggs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: Dec 26, 2004 at 01:24 AM »
Here's what I saw today from the festival... mini-reviews to arrive soon.

Sigaw - Yam Laranas ***/*****
Panaghoy sa Suba - Cesar Montano *1/2/*****
Aicrape Imasu - Joel Lamangan **/*****

Offline commentary

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: Dec 26, 2004 at 06:33 AM »
Those three stars are honestly likely to be the most you're going to give anything in this festival.  And I'm pretty sure that was a fairly generous rating. 

It's really about time we take a stand and not put up with this bs every year.  You asked Klaus Weasley-- "Controversy again?!?!?  Can't we have an MMFF without someone b**ching?", the answer is-- yes. When we scrap the whole current selection process and reformat the f-cker.  Honestly now, how much longer can we put up with this?  It's ridiculous.  By design, the MMFF is a great way to support locally produced works-- takes place during the years biggest holiday, implements a complete blackout on foreign films, has government support, and holds a "film festival" and an awarding ceremony.  Imagine how much good could be done if they actually chose to show good works... if they actually cared to exhibit the best of what our cinema has to offer... it would go so far in cultivating a mature, discerning, and appreciative audience... it would go far to contribute to the upliftment of our cinema.  Instead we have this... recycled sh-t, 4 movies from Mother Lily, 3 directed by Joel Lamangan, and honestly no works that we can proudly claim to be important.

Tell me you're satisfied.  Tell me you don't want change.

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: Dec 26, 2004 at 01:55 PM »
But aren't you all the least bit curious who will win best float? ;D

Offline commentary

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: Dec 26, 2004 at 05:17 PM »

Offline oggsmoggs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: Dec 26, 2004 at 05:32 PM »
I guess I shall never learn for today, I saw two more festival entries, and it looks like commentary's prediction is coming true.

Enteng Kabisote - */*****
Mano Po 3: My Love - **/*****

reviews will come when I've seen everything. Hopefully, I'll survive the festival.
« Last Edit: Dec 26, 2004 at 05:43 PM by oggsmoggs »

Offline commentary

• Collector
  • Liked:
Boycott MMFF
« Reply #53 on: Dec 27, 2004 at 02:39 PM »

Offline rdj

• Apprentice
  • Minimum Wage Earner
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: Dec 27, 2004 at 03:34 PM »
Note: If you agree and choose to participate in the boycott, email your name to: [email protected]

It has long been said that Philippine Cinema is on its death-bed. This statement is incorrect. The Philippine film industry, not Cinema as a whole, is; and rightly so. Hundreds of millions of pesos are wasted by the Film Industry investing in works that can not hold a candle to smaller, independent productions, both long (Lav Diaz's towering achievements: the 5-hour "Batang West Side" and the 11-hour "Ebolusyon ng Isang Pamilyang Pilipino," which has screened in New York and Toronto, and will also be travelling to Rotterdam and Goteborg) and short (Sherad Anthony Sanchez's 11-minute "Apple," a powerful, moving elegy on the loss of youth and innocence through child-prostitution, premiering in Rotterdam this January alongside "Ebolusyon" and works by Khavn Dela Cruz and Rox Lee) that are invested with passion and made with purpose.

Earlier this year I wrote I an article about the Metro Manila Film Festival for Indiefilipino.com (http://film.indiefilipino.com/item.php?id=118), lamenting not just the lack of desire to show quality films, but also the ridiculous selection process of the "festival". Said article can be read at the end of this email.

This year's festival is an even bigger mockery than the last, with 4 of the 8 participating films being produced or co-produced by Regal Films head Mother Lily and 3 films being directed by Joel Lamangan.

How is that for pushing for a progressive diverse cinema?

The Philippine Film Industry is on its death-bed...the Metro Manila Film Festival is holding the last nail to seal its coffin. The audience holds the hammer.

If you want to see the best of what Philippine Cinema has to offer, if you want stand up for the choice of better movies, better values, and a better cinema, do not watch any of the films in the Metro Manila Film Festival. I certainly won't.

OK, so let me get this straight -- is your "movement" saying that the likes of Lav Diaz, Khavn Dela Cruz, et. al. better filmmakers than the likes of Joel Lamangan, Cesar Montano, etc.? Isn't that a little self righteous? How do you gauge "good" movies anyway? Just a question...

Offline commentary

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: Dec 27, 2004 at 03:43 PM »
Quote from: rdj
OK, so let me get this straight -- is your "movement" saying that the likes of Lav Diaz, Khavn Dela Cruz, et. al. better filmmakers than the likes of Joel Lamangan, Cesar Montano, etc.? Isn't that a little self righteous? How do you gauge "good" movies anyway? Just a question...

Sighting the work of Lav Diaz and Sherad Sanchez such as I did was a personal note on two good films that I saw this year.  I am not gauging specifically the works of this years MMFF, I am not judging the individual films, I am criticizing the system that is in place.  In the longer article (which follows your quote), my reasons for doing so are clearly outlined. 

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: Dec 27, 2004 at 03:49 PM »

OK, so let me get this straight -- is your "movement" saying that the likes of Lav Diaz, Khavn Dela Cruz, et. al. better filmmakers than the likes of Joel Lamangan, Cesar Montano, etc.? Isn't that a little self righteous?

Not part of the movement, but what's so self-righteous about that? It's not his self he's being righteous about, and it pretty much seems to be readily apparent--I mean, Huling Birhen sa Lupa? Mano Po? Setting aside the fact that they're melodramas, not very well told, they don't have the cinematic and narrative innovations Lav used in, well Batang West Side, for example.
« Last Edit: Dec 27, 2004 at 03:58 PM by Noel_Vera »

Offline rdj

• Apprentice
  • Minimum Wage Earner
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: Dec 27, 2004 at 05:53 PM »
Got this "boycott" email from Khavn Dela Cruz himself and it's funny how every now and then a bunch of young filmmakers come out and proclaim themselves as "saviors of philippine cinema" when sadly they are not. Let's take the case of the mowelfund people -- Nick Deocampo, Yam Laranas or Robert Quebral, indies turned commercial directors, tell me, have they changed Philippine Cinema?  ;)

Offline commentary

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: Dec 27, 2004 at 06:09 PM »
Got this "boycott" email from Khavn Dela Cruz himself and it's funny how every now and then a bunch of young filmmakers come out and proclaim themselves as "saviors of philippine cinema" when sadly they are not. Let's take the case of the mowelfund people -- Nick Deocampo, Yam Laranas or Robert Quebral, indies turned commercial directors, tell me, have they changed Philippine Cinema?  ;)

Now this is a different discussion altogether.

I don't know about Nick or Yam, but I've certainly never heard Khavn (who I work with on the .MOV International Digital Film Festival) or Robert talk about being saviors of Philippine Cinema.  Khavn thinks the idea of people talking revolutions or about "saving" Philippine Cinema are silly.  I interviewed Robert Quebral once before Sex Drive came out and he was very humble and spoke openly saying not to have high expectations from the film.  I watched it and didn't like it very much.  And neither did I cite Mowelfund in anything I wrote.

I don't think I change is going to happen overnight.  I think it's silly for anyone to believe that it will.  But I think a reformatting of the largest and most supported display of local works is a good start.  Is there something that you don't agree with there, rdj?
« Last Edit: Dec 27, 2004 at 06:11 PM by commentary »

Offline llanesmark777

• DVD Addict
  • You don't know the power of the dark side.
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: Dec 27, 2004 at 06:58 PM »

It is such waste!!! Why im not watching the films on MMFF. Its a mainstream film festival. Its Regal films, Its Joel Lamangan films. Poor industry.. Its politics around the films that is included. read my first post on this thread. there are films that are not included in MMFF that deserves more than 3 Regal films entry that all of them from Joel Lamangan. More practice and use your brains film makers. Better luck next time. I rather watch again and again on my dvd collection. that is worth to watch rather tham wasting my money on such stupid films from MMFF.