Author Topic: Metro Manila Film Festival (MMFF) 2004  (Read 26333 times)

Offline X44

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Stupidity is a heinous crime.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Metro Manila Film Festival (MMFF) 2004
« Reply #60 on: Dec 28, 2004 at 12:42 AM »
The audience holds the hammer.

I agree with everything you said, commentary.  But this is something I've stuck with , albeit relucatantly, because I don't really want to believe it myself.

An overhaul of the selection process might do small wonders in the long run.  But outside of the MMFF, which is a captive audience (and therefore the perfect time to throw spanners in the moviegoers' works) , will the the audience really be  there? Are there really a lot more of us who clamor for something more than a Joel Lamangan melodrama? Or are we just a minority, forever outnumbered? I mean, I think I'm one of those who wants more out of my movies, specially the local ones, but even I managed to miss Minsan Pa and failed to watch Ebolusyon even if some guys here at Pinoy offered to reserve me tickets. Would anybody less inclined than me even bother? Much as I loved  Keka  I saw it in a near-empty theater laughing by myself.  Producers are the culprits, mostly, I agree but maybe they're onto something when they pander? Can an upgrade in our movies really do the trick and pry the average moviegoers' attention spans away from Spiderman 3 or Bridget Jones' Slumbook or Oceans 87?

I know that paints a rather bleak picture and may come off as contemptuous of the audience and I apologize if it  in any way comes off offensive, but I'm both curious and confused - - - curious mostly to find out what some of you guys think.  I mean , maybe it's not Philippine cinema that needs saving, but the average Philippine moviegoer. In a few years time - - -  maybe sooner if we aren't already - - - we'd be worse than the average American moviegoer. ;D
« Last Edit: Dec 28, 2004 at 12:46 AM by X44 »

Offline Reuven Malter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • No worries, mate!
  • Liked:
« Reply #61 on: Dec 28, 2004 at 03:27 AM »
we did it before and we can do it again, given the right leadership. I am boycotting the festival to contribute to the slow yet gradual (quite optimistic) awakening of both the film producer and moviegoer.

caveat emptor. producers only smell the money so it's not all their fault if they keep churning out formulaic films; but, if the government becomes more selective for the festival, it may jumpstart the renewal of our cinema.
Clear eyes, full hearts can't lose!

Offline Centurion Obama

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ave Caesar!
  • Liked:
« Reply #62 on: Dec 28, 2004 at 09:45 AM »
I'm going to save Philippine cinema
Free Burma pa rin!

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm afraid of the quiet man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #63 on: Dec 28, 2004 at 01:06 PM »
it's funny how every now and then a bunch of young filmmakers come out and proclaim themselves as "saviors of philippine cinema" when sadly they are not.

People who do great things don't seem all that impressive at first. Let's kick Marcos out; let's defeat the Spaniards and set up the first democracy in Asia; let's do a ten-hour film. You have to talk big to start anything.

These kids have as much right to try save Philippine cinema as anyone else. I say, give em a chance.

Offline El Zar

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • DVD Guru
  • Rebelde de Kamote
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #64 on: Dec 28, 2004 at 02:47 PM »
I guess I shall never learn for today, I saw two more festival entries, and it looks like commentary's prediction is coming true.

Enteng Kabisote - */*****
Mano Po 3: My Love - **/*****

reviews will come when I've seen everything. Hopefully, I'll survive the festival.

Yes, I made the mistake of watching Enteng Kabisote and ended up laughing at myself. But the sight of Joey de Leon in red spandex was hilarious. The blue graded scenes looked nice. That's it. 

It's a film recklessly put together like yesterday's leftovers because the producers were hungry for dough. 4 year olds might like it.

Offline llanesmark777

• DVD Addict
  • You don't know the power of the dark side.
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: Dec 28, 2004 at 04:52 PM »
I guess I shall never learn for today, I saw two more festival entries, and it looks like commentary's prediction is coming true.

Enteng Kabisote - */*****
Mano Po 3: My Love - **/*****

reviews will come when I've seen everything. Hopefully, I'll survive the festival.

A poor festival really!!! Better luck next time film makers.  :)

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #66 on: Dec 29, 2004 at 04:07 PM »
Make the festival less political.

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: Dec 29, 2004 at 08:34 PM »
"Let Philippine Cinema die so that it would resurrect again!"

Offline Jude

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #68 on: Dec 29, 2004 at 11:37 PM »
I saw Sigaw a few days ago. It was such a missed opportunity because the cinematography was great (although they could have cut down on the dutch tilts) but it needed much tighter editing. They should have shortened a lot of the shots leading up to the scares and cut out a lot of the scenes that overexplained the story. Each shot felt just a second too long and each scene felt just a shot too much. Sobra-sobra yung pinapakita nila so hindi na ganung ka-effective as horror. And I think the building would have seemed even more menacing if they didn't dirty it up that much. Masyadong naging obvious. They basically show the origins of the hauntings three times! So by the end there's no mystery anymore. For one thing, I'd have cut out or at least drastically trimmed Ronni Lazaro's long exposition scene. Parang wala silang natutunan sa ibang Asian horror films that "less is more". Sayang talaga kasi all it needed was maybe at least one more pass in the editing room and it could have been much scarier. Siguro minadali.

And the fact that this MMFF has three Joel Lamangan films makes it the least respectable line-up ever.

Offline RitchieNolasco

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #69 on: Dec 31, 2004 at 12:54 AM »
From Philippine Star

It was a night of sharing, with the veterans sharing victory with newcomers.

What a night it was! The 2004 Metro Filmfest’s Gabi ng Parangal, held Wednesday night (Dec. 29) at the Aliw Theater was as star-studded as the Dec. 24 Parade of Stars that ushered in the 10-day movie event ending on Jan. 3, 2005. The parade started near White Plains in Quezon City and dispersed at the CCP Complex in Pasay City.

Vilma Santos and Christopher de Leon’s win as Best Actress and Best Actor for Mano Po 3: My Love, their 24th movie together, came as no surprise. It was expected. The two veterans shared top honors with newcomers Dennis Trillo, Best Supporting Actor (for his role as a "Comfort Gay" in Aicrape Imasu 1941); and Rebecca Lusterio (for Panaghoy sa Suba), her second, the first being for Muro-Ami.

Although a multi-awarded veteran as an actor, Cesar Montano is a relative "newcomer" as far as directing is concerned. He got the Best Director trophy for Panaghoy sa Suba over such worthies as Joel Lamangan (Mano Po 3, So Happy Together and Aicrape Imasu) and Joey Javier Reyes (Spirit of the Glass).

The Metro Filmfest is dedicated to FPJ who was given a Posthumous Award, received by his siblings Elizabeth Poe and Conrad Poe.

The 10-day event came at a time when the whole world is wrapped in gloom, what with the demise of Da King and disasters happening all over. But as the showbiz line goes: The show must go on, come what may, come hell or high water.

The awards night is calculated to drastically affect the box-office ranking of the eight official entries.

As of Dec. 29 (fifth day of the Metro Filmfest), here’s the ranking (nationwide):
1. Enteng Kabisote — P62.8M
2. Spirit of the Glass — P23.2M
3. So Happy Together — P23M
4. Mano Po 3: My Love — P19M
5. Lastikman — P16M
6. Sigaw — P14.2M
7. Panaghoy sa Suba — P7.5M
8. Aicrape Imasu 1941 — P7.3M The Honor Roll
• Best Actress — Vilma Santos (Mano Po 3)
• Best Actor — Christopher De Leon (Mano Po 3)
• Best Picture — Mano Po 3
• Second Best Picture — Panaghoy sa Suba
• Third Best Picture — Aicrape Imasu 1941
• Best Director — Cesar Montano (Panaghoy sa Suba)
• Gatpuno Antonio Villegas Cultural Award — Panaghoy sa Suba
• Best Supporting Actress — Rebecca Lusterio (Panaghoy sa Suba)
• Best Supporting Actor — Dennis Trillo (Aicrape Imasu 1941)
• Best Child Performer — Ella Guevarra (Sigaw)
• Best Film Editor — Manet Dayrit (Sigaw)
• Best Cinematography — Ely Cruz (Panaghoy sa Suba)
• Best Theme Song — Pagbigyan ang Puso Ko — Universal Records (Mano Po 3)
• Best Sound Recording — Arnold Reodica/Albert Michael Idioma (Sigaw)
• Best Musical Score — Nonong Buencamino (Panaghoy sa Suba)
• Best Screenplay — Cris Vertido (Panaghoy sa Suba)
• Best Original Story — Joel Lamangan, Roy Iglesias, Lily Monteverde and Roselle Monteverde-Teo (Mano Po 3)
• Best Production Design — Rodel Cruz (Mano Po 3)
• Best Make Up Artist — Alex Vicencio (Enteng Kabisote)
• Best Visual Effects — Fel Rodolfo Jr. — Roadrunner (Lastikman)
• Best Float — Mano Po 3
• Second Best Float — Aicrape Imasu 1941
• Third Best Float — Enteng Kabisote
• Quezon City Special Award for Most Gender-Sensitive Film — Aicrape Imasu 1941
• Male Star of the Night — Christopher De Leon
• Female Star of the Night — Vilma Santos
• Special Award — Atty. Espiridion Laxa
• Posthumous Award — Fernando Poe Jr.

Offline Reuven Malter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • No worries, mate!
  • Liked:
« Reply #70 on: Jan 01, 2005 at 01:05 AM »
Thanks for the box-office figures. I'm going to see Sigaw and
Panaghoy sa Suba
to help them earn more. Both films are riskier and revolutionary: what the industry needs to rejuvenate!

Happy 2005!

Offline Phobos

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Forum Nazi
  • Liked:
« Reply #71 on: Jan 01, 2005 at 08:16 AM »
Has anyone who've seen Dark Water confirm my belief that Sigaw is merely a rip off of the Japanese movie?

Offline oggsmoggs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #72 on: Jan 01, 2005 at 09:53 AM »
Has anyone who've seen Dark Water confirm my belief that Sigaw is merely a rip off of the Japanese movie?

Well, almost every film in the genre is a complete rip off of something else. Almost all Asian horror film ghosts are complete rip-offs of Sadako from Ringu. Horror setpieces are slmost always variations of the same old technique. True, Sigaw might have horror setpieces that could have originated from Dark Water  but to say it's a complete rip off of one movie alone is unfair. The themes are different. The plot structure is also different. The characters have different motivations.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #73 on: Jan 01, 2005 at 10:35 AM »
The Cure I'd say is a real original, with no debt to Ringu.

Of Filipino films...uh, Halimaw sa Banga and Manananggal in Manila come to mind.

Offline X44

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Stupidity is a heinous crime.
  • Liked:
« Reply #74 on: Jan 01, 2005 at 11:10 AM »

And Kairo(Pulse) , not to mention Charisma, for that matter, although Seance was a Seance on a Wet Afternoon riff.

If there's anyone  who has any right to rip Ringu off anyway, it's Kiyoshi Kurosawa. Damn thing's partially his anyway.

Glad to hear Sigaw ain't a rip-off. I  plan to see it. Only liked one Yam movie so far (the Richard-Regine one, of all things  ::) ) but  we do need more directors like him. If these guys don't get the chance, the industry will one day be made up of nothing but Joel Lamangan and Tony Y. Reyes movies. ;D

Enteng Kabisote is raking it in biggest of them all, eh? Altman was right. We give the audience too much credit, they're the  fault why our movies are bad.

Offline oggsmoggs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #75 on: Jan 01, 2005 at 12:31 PM »

Of Filipino films...uh, Halimaw sa Banga and Manananggal in Manila come to mind.

True... that's a real original.

Glad to hear Sigaw ain't a rip-off. I  plan to see it. Only liked one Yam movie so far (the Richard-Regine one, of all things   ) but  we do need more directors like him. If these guys don't get the chance, the industry will one day be made up of nothing but Joel Lamangan and Tony Y. Reyes movies.

Well, it's not a total rip-off but it's not original either. There are plenty of problems too like offputting scenes of overdramatization and an overemphasization of the exposition. Moreover, Laranas doesn't know how to tell a good story. There are big plotholes, and obvious plot points. However, it's still better than most of the crap from MMFF so give it a try.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #76 on: Jan 01, 2005 at 12:35 PM »
If there's anyone  who has any right to rip Ringu off anyway, it's Kiyoshi Kurosawa. d**n thing's partially his anyway.

dern straight.

Only liked one Yam movie so far (the Richard-Regine one, of all things

mebbe cuz he didn't write it. Yah, liked that too...

but  we do need more directors like him

Suppose there's room for someone like him. He needs a good writer, is all--lav, or bing lao, or quark.

Offline wedge

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Scott me up, beamie!
  • Liked:
« Reply #77 on: Jan 02, 2005 at 02:17 PM »
Haven't seen Sigaw, though I've seen Laranas' Hibla. Nothing's good in the movie even Rica Peralejo and Maui Taylor's oversized fake busts.

Offline Reuven Malter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • No worries, mate!
  • Liked:
« Reply #78 on: Jan 02, 2005 at 06:31 PM »
Sigaw's final turnout is not decided entirely by Yam. The plotholes may have been due to anxious producers, actors or anybody else involved in its production.

I didn't like that Regine-Richard romantic comedy story-wise; but, to its credit, the film made Manila romantic and glamorous. It rivalled the romanticization of Paris by Jeunet in Amelie. That was hardly accomplished by Lamangan when he ripped off the same scene in Mano Po 1. He even got the same actor: Gomez, as if he didn't want to be obvious.

Offline llanesmark777

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #79 on: Jan 04, 2005 at 03:35 AM »
MMFF has three Joel Lamangan films makes it the least respectable line-up ever.

Di pa din siya nanalo ng Best Director. Kasi di naman siya magaling eh. Asa lng siyasa mga writers. Promotion ng pelikula. Big Stars para kumita yung film. And Mayabang!!!

Offline loonzhaus

• Collector
  • born to love NORA AUNOR
  • Liked:
« Reply #80 on: Jan 04, 2005 at 12:45 PM »
agree except for Ishmael Bernal's HIMALA which in my book remains the best performance by an actress in Phil. Cinema .....

still MMFF produced such classic gems like Ganito Kami Noon, Paano Kayo Ngayon, Brutal, Moral, Insiang, Kung Mangarap kat Magising, Jose Rizal, Himala.....

nagsimula lang namang "bumagsak" ang quality ng Metro Manila Film Festival nu'ng nagsimulang hawakan ito directly ng mga mayors and ng MMDA.  imagine, ang chairman ng board of jurors for this year ay asawa ni Bayani Fernando na mayor ng Marikina -- ano naman ang kinalaman niya sa pagre-rate o pag-judge ng movies?  nu'ng panahong namamayagpag ang festival, ang mga hurado at namamalakad ay galing mismo sa industriya at sa mga artistic instituions katulad ng CCP.  ang chairman ng board of jurors nu'ng time ng Himala ay si Dean Lucresia Kasilag.

Offline llanesmark777

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #81 on: Jan 04, 2005 at 04:35 PM »
Sana naman bago gumawa ng Pelikula ang mga directors at producers ng pelikula manood muna sila ng mga classic films na foreign and international films din. Lagi din naman sila nangagaya diba? Bakit di nalang muna sila manood ng mga classic at international. "para naman matuto" sila. Tapos sasabihin ng mga director ibang concept ng pelikula ang ginawa nila. tsk tsk!  >:( Ang hirap kasi sa mga producer na yan tulad ni mother Lily puro balik ng pera ang iniisip. Why not make a film na makikilala abroad na maganda ang concept ng pelikula and kung alam nila na kikita sila. Eh puro pera lang ang iniisip niyan. 3 entries in mmff? im sure di nakabawi sa gastos ang regal niyan. Tinalo pa ng Enteng Kabisote. Magisip-isip ka naman Mother Lily.
« Last Edit: Jan 04, 2005 at 04:41 PM by llanesmark777 »

Offline RitchieNolasco

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #82 on: Jan 05, 2005 at 10:09 AM »
Here now are the nationwide grosses (from Dec. 25 to Jan. 1) of the eight official entries in the 2004 Metro Filmfest which officially ends today:

1. Enteng Kabisote ...................... P83.6M
2. So Happy Together ..................P32.1M
3. Spirit of the Glass ................... P30.9M
4. Mano Po 3 .............................. P27.5M
5. Lastikman ............................... P21.1M
6. Sigaw ...................................... P18.6M
7. Panaghoy sa Suba ...................P10.9M
8. Aicrape Imasu 1941 ................. P10.1M

Talagang nakatawa. Mano Po 1 grossed almost P68 million in 2002 MMFF. Isang movie lang yun.

And this year, it took Regal 4 movies to make P88.3 million.

Yet Enteng Kabisote alone almost matched the combined gross of Regal's 4 entries.

And Mano Po 3 is officially the lowest grossing chapter of Mother Lily's most personal saga.

I think Mother Lily has to retire from producing.

Offline El Zar

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • DVD Guru
  • Rebelde de Kamote
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #83 on: Jan 06, 2005 at 09:23 AM »
Here now are the nationwide grosses (from Dec. 25 to Jan. 1) of the eight official entries in the 2004 Metro Filmfest which officially ends today:

1. Enteng Kabisote ...................... P83.6M
2. So Happy Together ..................P32.1M
3. Spirit of the Glass ................... P30.9M
4. Mano Po 3 .............................. P27.5M
5. Lastikman ............................... P21.1M
6. Sigaw ...................................... P18.6M
7. Panaghoy sa Suba ...................P10.9M
8. Ais**te Imasu 1941 ................. P10.1M

Talagang nakatawa. Mano Po 1 grossed almost P68 million in 2002 MMFF. Isang movie lang yun.

And this year, it took Regal 4 movies to make P88.3 million.

Yet Enteng Kabisote alone almost matched the combined gross of Regal's 4 entries.

And Mano Po 3 is officially the lowest grossing chapter of Mother Lily's most personal saga.

I think Mother Lily has to retire from producing.

Enteng Kabisote is truly an enchanted movie, raking in megabucks even though its not... fun to watch. And i'm being very kind. Sure, I like TVJ but this one's uninspired. Well,I guess one man's junk is another man's treasure. Just munchies for the kiddies.

Offline llanesmark777

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #84 on: Jan 11, 2005 at 12:52 AM »
I thought i just escape or broke my promise that not to watch any regal films entry to MMFF. But i proved myself wrong. I just watch Sigaw by Yam Laranas. Maybe because i like his cinematography and editing. Well siyempre Yam Laranas yan. But Sigaw is from Regal also. Sigaw for me its not scary!!! The scoring that makes me scare or nakakagulat. But montage on the past and present is good. I hope some ordinary film viewers noticed that. Or should i say naiintindihan nila yung takbo ng story. Or sanay lang ako maybe manood ng Asian Horror films. Twist sometimes. Some viewers i heard their reactions after viewing the film that Sigaw is not good!!! Well i hope they really learned on watching films on how to appreciate a good or bad film like Sigaw. Or they get confused on the entire story because of the montage style on past and present.

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #85 on: Feb 01, 2005 at 04:55 PM »
I was able to watch three films from the festival.

Sigaw  -- Technically great movie.  Don't scrutinise too much or the holes will show.

Spirit of the Glass -- We walked out after a 15 minutes.  There's nothing to it.  It's dull and the actors in it were annoying.

Panaghoy sa Suba.  -- Well meaning movie.  Too predictable and melodramatic.  It's like that summary of all WWII-themed Pinoy movies.  But I do admire it's use of a local dialect.  Too bad I didn't have the patience to finish the movie.  We left halfway through it.

I skipped all the Lamangan movies this time around. I've learned from previous mistakes.

« Last Edit: Feb 01, 2005 at 04:57 PM by rse »

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #86 on: Oct 16, 2005 at 02:24 PM »
LA Times declares ‘Sigaw’ a ‘stunner’

First posted 09:58pm (Mla time) Oct 15, 2005
Inquirer News Service

Editor's Note: Published on page A2-4 of the October 16, 2005 issue of the Philippine Daily Inquirer.

LOS ANGELES—YAM LARANAS’ “SIGAW (The Echo)” is off to a screaming good start at the fifth annual Screamfest Horror Film Festival and Screenplay Competition which runs here until Oct. 23.

Los Angeles Times’ film reviewer Kevin Thomas declared the thriller of Laranas, who is now represented by a Hollywood talent agent, as “a real stunner.”

In a capsule review, Thomas said the Richard Gutierrez-Angel Locsin starrer was also a “stylish chiller.”

He added: “Laranas, a master at creating an ominous atmosphere, builds to an exceptionally rigorous, satisfying conclusion. ‘The Echo’ could easily become a cult film.”

“The Echo,” which won several awards in the 2004 Metro Manila Film Festival, including a Best Child Performer award for Janella Denise Guevara, will be shown on Wednesday, Oct. 19, 7:30 p.m. at the Universal Studios Cinemas, 100 Universal City Plaza in Universal City.

Ruben Nepales, LA Correspondent

Offline geckoph

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
Sigaw (RE-MAKE)
« Reply #87 on: Nov 07, 2006 at 02:04 PM »
Vertigo Ent. hears 'Echo' from 'Sigaw'

Vertigo Entertainment will produce "The Echo," a remake of the acclaimed Filipino thriller "Sigaw." Yam Laranas, who co-wrote and directed "Sigaw," will direct the movie, being written by Eric Bernt.

The story revolves around a young ex-con who moves into an old apartment building, only to learn his neighbor is an abusive police officer who savagely beats his wife and daughter. When the ex-con tries to intervene, he becomes trapped in a curse.

Vertigo plans to move quickly with the film, eyeing a March 19 start date.

Vertigo's Roy Lee and Doug Davison will produce with Shintaro Shimosawa and Tyler Mitchell.

The rights were acquired from Regal Films of the Philippines.

The film is being fully financed by venture capitalist Robert Hoff through his new company RightOff Entertainment. Hoff, who fully finances the U.S. Olympic ski team, has been a general partner at Crosspoint Venture Partners since 1983, and was honored this year by the Los Angeles Venture Assn. with a Lifetime Achievement award. He serves as exec producer.

Bernt, repped by Endeavor, recently wrote "The Hitcher" remake for Rogue and Platinum Dunes. He also will serve as an exec producer.

Laranas is repped by ICM.

Vertigo, behind the remake franchises of "The Ring" and "The Grudge" film series, is basking in the glow of the success of Martin Scorsese's "The Departed." The company is in production on "The Strangers" for Universal, "Sassy Girl" for Gold Circle and "Addicted" for the Yari Film Group. Vertigo's next release will be the Nicole Kidman-starrer "The Invasion," scheduled to open Aug. 17.