Author Topic: Focus on Joey Gosiengfiao/Elwood Perez  (Read 54501 times)

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Focus on Joey Gosiengfiao/Elwood Perez
« on: Aug 06, 2004 at 10:18 PM »
Their films are not on the lists of The Greatest Filipino Films ever made but these two filmmakers of Philippine Cinema made the 70's & 80's exciting as their films are sexy, campy with some social commentaries thrown in.

As Jessica Zafra would say in her Twisted Flicks book...they are....
 The Fabulous Twin B**ches of Philippine Cinema....  ;D

Who's the best between the two?
 Joey is our very own Pedro Almodovar...  Temptation Island can prove that....Elwood has Stepsisters & Waikiki....some trophies for Bilangin ang Bituin sa Langit....

Will there be retrospective film festival for these two in the future?

Let the showdown begins.... ;D

« Last Edit: Aug 12, 2004 at 08:27 PM by keating »

Offline jdv1229

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
Re: Focus on Joey Gosiengfiao/Elwood Perez
« Reply #1 on: Aug 06, 2004 at 10:55 PM »
Their films are not on The Greatest Filipino Films ever made but these two filmmakers of Philippine Cinema made the 70's & 80's exciting as their films exudes sexiness, campiness with some social commentaries thrown in.

Who's the best between the two?
 Joey is our very own Pedro Almodovar...  Temptation Island can prove that....Elwood has Stepsisters & Waikiki....some trophies for Bilangin ang Bituin sa Langit....

Will there be retrospective film festival for these two in the future?

Let the showdown begins.... ;D

i could definitely say that Elwood Perez is the better filmmaker among the two but Joey Gosiengfiao has a more cinematic eye. it's funny... they both started as directors of so-called bold movies in the early 70's. with Elwood directing movies like Bawal Asawa Mo, Asawa Ko & Divorce Pilipino Style while Joey started making films like Huwag Hamakin Hostess with Nora Aunor & Alma Moreno this was even before both started making movies for Regal. although Elwood became a more distinguished as a filmmaker for his bravery in making movies like Bilangin ang Bituin sa Langit & Pacita M. Joey started line producing movies for Good Harvest and the result were films like Sana Pag-Ibig Na & Pila Balde.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Aug 06, 2004 at 11:03 PM »
Don't forget Jo that Joey did The Diary of Cristina Gaston wherein I found Alma worthy as an actress....Elwood can also deliver the goods with of course powered by electrifying perf from Nora with those flicks.....Bilangin ang Bituin sa Langit & Pacita M.

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Aug 07, 2004 at 12:07 AM »
Don't forget Jo that Joey did The Diary of Cristina Gaston wherein I found Alma worthy as an actress....Elwood can also deliver the goods with of course powered by electrifying perf from Nora with those flicks.....Bilangin ang Bituin sa Langit & Pacita M.

i do have The Diary if Christina Gaston on vhs... maybe it's about time to watch it again.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm afraid of the quiet man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #4 on: Aug 07, 2004 at 01:16 AM »
I'd say Joey--he's got the wilder imagination.

Alma I'd say proved herself as an actress as early as Mga Bilanggong Birhen.

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Aug 07, 2004 at 01:31 AM »
I'd say Joey--he's got the wilder imagination.

Alma I'd say proved herself as an actress as early as Mga Bilanggong Birhen.

Alma was also very good in Manila By Night... but i really loved her performance in Hiyas the only time she was directed by Lino Brocka.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Aug 07, 2004 at 01:37 AM »

Alma was also very good in Manila By Night...

Oh yeah, she outshone Lorna T. there. But then Lorna was only starting out.

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Aug 07, 2004 at 02:19 AM »

Oh yeah, she outshone Lorna T. there. But then Lorna was only starting out.

i guess Lorna's role wasn't as interesting as Alma's...

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Aug 07, 2004 at 10:08 AM »

Alma was also very good in Manila By Night... but i really loved her performance in Hiyas the only time she was directed by Lino Brocka.

I wonder who killed her in Manila by night? LT? That's one of the best scenes in that Bernal classic matched with fireworks on New Year's eve.... 8)

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Aug 07, 2004 at 05:57 PM »

I wonder who killed her in Manila by night? LT? That's one of the best scenes in that Bernal classic matched with fireworks on New Year's eve.... 8)

that's one of the great moments in Manila By Night... it kept us guessing. same with Himala.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Aug 07, 2004 at 06:18 PM »

that's one of the great moments in Manila By Night... it kept us guessing. same with Himala.

Out of the topic.. Ishma wrote Manila by Night with some help from Ricky Lee as script consultant.

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Aug 07, 2004 at 07:03 PM »

Out of the topic.. Ishma wrote Manila by Night with some help from Ricky Lee as script consultant.

as a matter of fact he did... with Jorge Arago, Toto Belano & Bernal himself.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Aug 07, 2004 at 07:18 PM »

as a matter of fact he did... with Jorge Arago, Toto Belano & Bernal himself.

Jojo...this is nostalgia trip down memory lane.

Whatever happened to Toto Belano? I was surprised to know that the man wrote Gosiengfiao's campy....TEMPTATION ISLAND!

Also Elwood's....WAIKIKI. What are his other writing credits? Is he in the U.S. also?

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Aug 07, 2004 at 09:06 PM »

Jojo...this is nostalgia trip down memory lane.

Whatever happened to Toto Belano? I was surprised to know that the man wrote Gosiengfiao's campy....TEMPTATION ISLAND!

Also Elwood's....WAIKIKI. What are his other writing credits? Is he in the U.S. also?

that's okay Keating... Toto Belano wrote a lot of Elwood & Joey's earlier films. aside from Temptation Island he also wrote Katorse, Nympha, Bomba Star, Bedspacers.

and for Elwood he wrote Mahal Mo, Mahal Ko, Sugar Daddy, Magkaribal and a lot more

i believe he's now in San Francisco.

Offline pinoymovies

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Aug 09, 2004 at 12:35 PM »
Joel David's book The National Pastime mentioned Joey Gosiengfiao and Elwood Perez as among those 'keeping the faith' with their Sine Pilipino/Juan de la Cruz productions.

Before Lino Brocka started the second golden age of Philippine movies with Tinimbang Ka Ngunit Kulang and Maynila sa Kuko ng Liwanag, Joey Gosiengfiao was came up with his Vilma Santos trilogy: Takbo, Vilma, Dali; Hatinggabi na, Vilma and Lipad, Darna, Lipad. Elwood Perez made Tatlong Gabi, Isang Babae and Bawal: Asawa Mo, Asawa Ko.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Aug 09, 2004 at 08:08 PM »

that's okay Keating... Toto Belano wrote a lot of Elwood & Joey's earlier films. aside from Temptation Island he also wrote Katorse, Nympha, Bomba Star, Bedspacers.

and for Elwood he wrote Mahal Mo, Mahal Ko, Sugar Daddy, Magkaribal and a lot more

i believe he's now in San Francisco.

Thanks for the info....Jo.  :)

Nympha was a re-make right?  Bedspacers If I remember right was an ensemble piece of vignettes in campus.

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Aug 09, 2004 at 09:01 PM »

Thanks for the info....Jo.  :)

Nympha was a re-make right?  Bedspacers If I remember right was an ensemble piece of vignettes in campus.

you're welcome Keating...

Nympha wasn't actually a remake but there was indeed a movie called Nympha in the late '60's directed by Celso Ad Castillo... i guess they just used the title but they're two different films. Castillo's Nympha was way better than Gosiengfiao's. i cannot say that Bedspacers was an ensemble piece of vignettes in campus. well it starred Alma Moreno, Amy Austria & Al Tantay and the movie was about college co-eds trying to make it in the big city and that Alma & Amy's characters shared a room in a tenement with Al Tantay. it's in this movie where Alma had her very first breast exposure... of course it was a quick one for it was shortened by the censors.  ;)

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Aug 09, 2004 at 09:09 PM »
Those films by Joey & Elwood were done in good taste when it comes to skin exposure.

Do you have on video the original Nympha by Celso Ad Castillo?

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Aug 10, 2004 at 04:00 AM »

it's in this movie where Alma had her very first breast exposure... of course it was a quick one for it was shortened by the censors.  ;)

What year was Bedspacers? There was nudity in Bilanggong Birhen in 1977.

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Aug 10, 2004 at 04:44 AM »

What year was Bedspacers? There was nudity in Bilanggong Birhen in 1977.

Alma showed her behind in Bilanggong Birhen while she had her very first breast exposure in Bedspacers... the movie was released in 1980.
« Last Edit: Aug 10, 2004 at 04:45 AM by Jojo Devera »

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Aug 10, 2004 at 04:47 AM »
Those films by Joey & Elwood were done in good taste when it comes to skin exposure.

Do you have on video the original Nympha by Celso Ad Castillo?

both Joey & Elwood's films were of the bold genre... compared to the ST movies of the '90's they were more tame although the adult content of their films were much more relevant.

i don't have a copy of Celso Ad Castillo's Nympha... i just had the chance to watch it in college.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Aug 10, 2004 at 11:47 AM »

Alma showed her behind in Bilanggong Birhen while she had her very first breast exposure in Bedspacers... the movie was released in 1980.

I definitely remember very perky, somewhat dark (not that there's anything wrong with that, I'm the United Nations when it comes to pigmentation) nipples in Bilanggong Birhen, the sacrifice scene. Could be a stunt double, though.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Aug 10, 2004 at 12:16 PM »
Regal cashed on Joey's youth oriented flicks back in 1980. Underage, Blue Jeans, Summer Holiday can't remember the other flicks...

Elwood did Summertime or something like that....my memory is so short in movie titles....

The two didn't dwell on bold genre alone, even youth-oriented flicks were touched by the two.

There's the other one that slipped on my memory where Snooky & Gabby formed a love triangle with a cancer patient....real cancer victim....megged by Elwood.

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Aug 10, 2004 at 05:29 PM »
Regal cashed on Joey's youth oriented flicks back in 1980. Underage, Blue Jeans, Summer Holiday can't remember the other flicks...

Elwood did Summertime or something like that....my memory is so short in movie titles....

The two didn't dwell on bold genre alone, even youth-oriented flicks were touched by the two.

There's the other one that slipped on my memory where Snooky & Gabby formed a love triangle with a cancer patient....real cancer victim....megged by Elwood.

you're right Keating! other youth oriented movies megged by Joey would be Where Love Has Gone, Bata Pa Si Sabel, 14 Going Steady & The Story of Three Loves. Elwood on the other hand made Santa Claus Is Coming To Town, a handful of the Vilma Boyet movies for Manay Ichu... Pakawalan Mo Ako, Nakawin Natin Ang Bawat Sandali, Masarap, Masakit Ang Umibig and a lot more. Miracle Of Love was the film with Gabby & Janice with Roxanne Abad Santos. the movie was shot entirely in the US. Elwood also directed I'll Wait For You again with Gabby & Janice. he also did two othe films in the US Lollipops & Roses at Burong Talangka with Ate Guy & Pinay American Style with Vilma.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Aug 10, 2004 at 08:58 PM »

you're right Keating! other youth oriented movies megged by Joey would be Where Love Has Gone, Bata Pa Si Sabel, 14 Going Steady & The Story of Three Loves. Elwood on the other hand made Santa Claus Is Coming To Town, a handful of the Vilma Boyet movies for Manay Ichu... Pakawalan Mo Ako, Nakawin Natin Ang Bawat Sandali, Masarap, Masakit Ang Umibig and a lot more. Miracle Of Love was the film with Gabby & Janice with Roxanne Abad Santos. the movie was shot entirely in the US. Elwood also directed I'll Wait For You again with Gabby & Janice. he also did two othe films in the US Lollipops & Roses at Burong Talangka with Ate Guy & Pinay American Style with Vilma.

MIRACLE OF LOVE was beautifully shot & photographed! I'll still watch this other than those crap love stories produced by major studios out there. Its not Janice but Snooky I think....I still remember the court room scene in Joey's....Where Love has Gone.

was that a box-office hit during that time?

Thanks for the title...Jo. You are really a Film Historian or shall I say Film Guru like Noel.  :)
« Last Edit: Aug 10, 2004 at 09:08 PM by keating »

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Aug 10, 2004 at 09:14 PM »

MIRACLE OF LOVE was beautifully shot & photographed! I'll still watch this other than those crap love stories produced by major studios out there. Its not Janice but Snooky I think....I still remember the court room scene in Joey's....Where Love has Gone.

was that a box-office hit during that time?

Thanks for the title...Jo. You are really a Film Historian or shall I say Film Guru like Noel.  :)

you're welcome Keating... i'm really a child of the '80's  and i really spent most of my youth watching all these movies.

Where Love Has Gone was indeed a big box office hit... don't forget that the movie also starred Julie Vega & Janice de Belen.

i'm not quite sure how Noel will react to your comment... but thanks anyway.  :)
« Last Edit: Aug 10, 2004 at 09:15 PM by Jojo Devera »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Aug 10, 2004 at 09:20 PM »
I still have to dig those old movies by Elwood & Joey since most are not available on video.

If you want to sell some of your vhs pls. let me know....or pa-transfer na lang dude on dvd... ;)
« Last Edit: Aug 10, 2004 at 09:56 PM by keating »

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Aug 10, 2004 at 09:57 PM »
I still have to dig those old movies by Elwood & Joey since most are not available on video.

If you want to sell some of your vhs pls. let me know....or pa-transfer na lang dude on dvd... ;)

marami ako niyan... especially Elwood's PM Mo na lang sa 'kin.  ;)

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Aug 10, 2004 at 10:05 PM »

marami ako niyan... especially Elwood's PM Mo na lang sa 'kin.  ;)

Jo that's great! He-he-he you're like manna from heaven.  :)

Dude I still have to see SHAME by Elwood.  ;D

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Aug 10, 2004 at 10:10 PM »

Jo that's great! He-he-he you're like manna from heaven.  :)

Dude I still have to see SHAME by Elwood.  ;D

thanks! from one cinephile to another.  ;D

i think you'll like Elwood's Shame... way better than the Ina Raymundo re-make.