Author Topic: Angels in America  (Read 2000 times)

Offline Reuven Malter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • No worries, mate!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Angels in America
« on: Oct 06, 2004 at 06:24 AM »
I wanted to like this mini-series but I had a hard time connecting with any of the characters. Methinks it was also too political for me. I had the same feeling when I saw The Laramie Project, actually any other AIDS-related project. Still have to see a more humane/multi-dimensional portrayal of right-wing people.

Mike Nichols was more effective in Wit. Emma Thompson as the angel was ludicrous after her effective turn in Wit. She also crafted another memorable script there. Meryl Streep deserved her Emmy. She was able to stretch playing a rabbi, angel, Mormon mom, and Ethel Rosenberg. Thought Al Pacino was overrated. Oh, Michael Corleone has gone gay. Give em an Emmy! Heard he was more convincing in Cruising. Jeffrey Wright was more deserving as lead. Mary Louise-Parker echoed her role in Grand Canyon here. A woman as pretty as here, I don't understand why men take her for granted.

This series beat Roots for most Emmys?
Clear eyes, full hearts can't lose!

Offline xage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Suspended
  • Liked:
Re: Angels in America
« Reply #1 on: Oct 29, 2004 at 11:45 PM »
Too BAD, if this mini-series is to be shown in HBO asia.. geez.. another HEAVILY-CUTTED series..

[img width=163 height=49]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b221/x

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #2 on: Jan 24, 2005 at 12:51 AM »
At this year's Producers' Guild of America Awards, Angels in America won the David L. Wolper Award for best long-form (miniseries) over Something the Lord Made, Horatio Hornblower, Ike and Lion in the Winter.

I enjoyed the first installment of the mini, then I just felt this thing got more and more boring. The only thing that kept my interest was trying to spot if Meryl Streep played any other roles on the show.

Well-acted? Yes, except for the typically over-the-top Pacino.

Interesting? Eh.
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline AshKetchum

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 31
« Reply #3 on: Jan 24, 2005 at 04:07 PM »
Too BAD, if this mini-series is to be shown in HBO asia.. geez.. another HEAVILY-CUTTED series..

This will probably never be shown on HBO Asia--our feed here comes from Singapore, where the entire concept of this series is probably taboo for the censors there. So their rationale would be, "why bother to cut when nothing will be left? just don't show it, end of story."

Offline scully

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Collector
  • geeks for friends
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Jan 25, 2005 at 07:47 PM »
I thought Emma Thompson was a riot & I was really surprised with that old Jew from the first part. Ahehe. But I must say I feel the same way as Reuven: I had a hard time connecting with any of the characters. I dunno, maybe it's just too abstract for me and yeah, maybe too political for me as well. One more thing, I wanted to kill Mary Louise Parker's character for some reason.
Amor Fati

Offline riverfan

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Aug 29, 2005 at 12:26 AM »
Beautiful scenes.  ;D

especially when Emma Thompson comes through the roof.  :)

Offline dorian_gray

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Guru
  • Bakla ako...may angal?
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Aug 29, 2005 at 12:36 PM »
I have friends who are HIV+ and I have friends who died from it. I can relate to the characters but I still hate Mary Louise's acting. I especially like the performance of the nurse.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm afraid of the quiet man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #7 on: Aug 29, 2005 at 12:49 PM »
I thought the cast was okay to pretty good (though not as good, I thought as the live cast that actually performed it in Manila--something to the intensity of seeing it live that's so much more different). My real problem is with Nichols, who turned it into yet another mini-series, when the potential was there to make it more stylized, more theatrical, avoid all that CGI crap and really do everything on-camera.

Wish I could see the Robert Altman version.

But it's a great play, nevertheless; I think the themes come through, and I'm happy gay America was able to sound out so loudly in these homophobic times.

Offline AshKetchum

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 31
« Reply #8 on: Nov 20, 2005 at 12:55 AM »
HBO Asia is starting to plug this miniseries as "Coming in December". Hmmm...they probably took enough time to butcher the entire thing, so now it's available for viewing.

Offline Battousai

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Akatsuki Leader
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Nov 21, 2005 at 11:10 PM »
Kung marami din lang na-edit na scenes, then wag na lang. Rent it or buy it somewhere para walang cut.