Author Topic: RCE: Regional Coding Enhancement  (Read 46604 times)

Offline benny

• Konsehal
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Regional Coding Enhancement
« Reply #60 on: Mar 07, 2002 at 06:21 AM »
Query posted by rafgar in another thread:

I'm thinking of ordering the 2-disc Harry Potter DVD from Amazon.  However, I've read somewhere that Warner Bros. has started to put Regional Coding Enhancement (RCE) in their Region 1 DVDs.  Since Harry Potter is released by Warner Bros., would anybody know if the R1 DVD will contain RCE?  Same goes with release of "Lord of the Rings" which is released by New Line.

Would it be wise to just wait for the local release of both DVDs?

Thanks!

:)
« Last Edit: Jan 01, 1970 at 08:00 AM by 1016344800 »

Offline benny

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #61 on: Mar 07, 2002 at 06:26 AM »
Short answer (from Dvdtalk):

For Warner Bros titles: Initially Warner Bros had announced that they were going to be RCEing their titles but aside from South Park none of their titles are infact RCE. Here's an official update from Warner Bros:

Please note the following titles DO NOT HAVE RCE:

Best In Show
The Perfect Storm
The Pledge
Proof of Life
Superman, The Movie

Currently Warner Home Video does not implement the RCE. The only title I can confirm is South Park, which only distribute.

Thank you,
VP - Publicity, WHV

If there's new information as to whether Warner has indeed started RCEing (hehe) their dvds, please post. Current information states though that Warner does not implement RCE.

Offline Alfie

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #62 on: Mar 07, 2002 at 06:55 PM »

Short answer (from Dvdtalk):

For Warner Bros titles: Initially Warner Bros had announced that they were going to be RCEing their titles but aside from South Park none of their titles are infact RCE. Here's an official update from Warner Bros:

Please note the following titles DO NOT HAVE RCE:

Best In Show
The Perfect Storm
The Pledge
Proof of Life
Superman, The Movie

Currently Warner Home Video does not implement the RCE. The only title I can confirm is South Park, which only distribute.

Thank you,
VP - Publicity, WHV

If there's new information as to whether Warner has indeed started RCEing (hehe) their dvds, please post. Current information states though that Warner does not implement RCE.

I have SOuth Park the Movie, and Volumes 4,5&6.
I have rented Volumes 1,2&3.
All played well with my Panasonic A300,Konzert,Amoisonic and Multiregion Apex 3201. ;) ;D

Offline rafgar

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #63 on: Mar 07, 2002 at 07:16 PM »
How does one know if a DVD has been encoded with RCE?  Meron bang nakalagay sa case o sa DVD?

Thanks!

Offline rafgar

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #64 on: Mar 07, 2002 at 07:20 PM »

Kung multi region yang player mo eh no problemo yan sa mga RCE disc.

Bakit sabi sa amazon na RCE encoded DVDs may not work in all multi-region players?  Based on my understanding, the purpose of having RCE is that R1 DVDs will only play in R1 players.

???

Offline xage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Suspended
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: Mar 07, 2002 at 07:26 PM »

Bakit sabi sa amazon na RCE encoded DVDs may not work in all multi-region players?  Based on my understanding, the purpose of having RCE is that R1 DVDs will only play in R1 players.

???

Yes not all, Mine works where in fact was that I have a region 3 player converted to multi region
[img width=163 height=49]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b221/x

Offline Rak-Rak

• DVD Addict
  • MKV Addic
  • Liked:
« Reply #66 on: Mar 07, 2002 at 08:19 PM »
When the first batch of RCE disc arrived here in the philippines eh sinubukan ko yung Patriot ni Mel Gibson na RCE Enhanced sa mga multi-region na players sa mga appliance stores, yung Sony, Philips at Onkyo na multi region ay di gumana yung Patriot. pero ang Pioneer (535K then) eh walng ka proble-problema.

Offline Rak-Rak

• DVD Addict
  • MKV Addic
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: Mar 07, 2002 at 08:27 PM »

Yes not all, Mine works where in fact was that I have a region 3 player converted to multi region

With the Exception ng Generic DVD Players eh puro region 3 lang ang mga Multi-region na players, maski yung mga dinebenta sa europe.  

Offline krus_tee

• Apprentice
  • Aaaaargh!
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: Mar 08, 2002 at 02:30 AM »

How does one know if a DVD has been encoded with RCE?  Meron bang nakalagay sa case o sa DVD?

Thanks!

My player doesn't read RCE disks. I've already tried 3 titles (6th Day, Final Fantasy, Ghosts of Mars) but can't seem to notice any difference on the case or the disk itself.

Phobos has posted a link http://www.dvdtalk.com/rce.html where you can check/verify the RCE DVD titles before you buy/rent them. Goodluck!

Offline Kahon

• Konsehal
  • DVD Guru
  • Hmpppp!!!!
  • Liked:
Re:Regional Coding Enhancement
« Reply #69 on: May 08, 2002 at 05:08 PM »
[shadow=red,left,300]bump[/shadow]  for euphyx

Offline euphyx

• Collector
  • fancy a pint of lager mate?
  • Liked:
« Reply #70 on: May 09, 2002 at 03:12 PM »
would someone happen to know if the Sony DVP NS300 could play RCE enhanced dvds?

Offline Kahon

• Konsehal
  • DVD Guru
  • Hmpppp!!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #71 on: May 09, 2002 at 04:07 PM »

Offline seth

• Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #72 on: May 23, 2002 at 03:15 PM »
R1 coding is for USA and Canada only, R3 is coding for Philippines. I wonder and makes me confused, how come many people here in the forum dont know what are they talking about coz some of the people here asking about R1 using it to a player not compatible with R1 and R3 disc using it in a R1 player. There is nothing wrong with the DVD disc or the DVD players. Ang may problema ay yung mga tao na di naiintindihan yung regional coding,nasa pinas ka gagamitin mo R1 na disc sa R3 player, R1 na player gagamitin mo R3 na disc eh di may compatibility problem ka na. Bakit ka gagamit ng R1 na coding kung nasa PILIPINAS ka gamitin mo yung regional coding ng pinas w/c is R3.  RCE are now implemented in the US and Canada ONLY sa pinas wala pa tayong RCE kaya hwag kayong bibili ng DVD na may RCE di yan gagana dito sa pinas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!???

Offline Phobos

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Forum Nazi
  • Liked:
« Reply #73 on: May 23, 2002 at 03:32 PM »
seth You're posting in the wrong thread. We're talking about RCE.

This is different from Region Coding which is what you're obviously talking about. I suggest that you do your homework and learn more about this topic before posting because you'll probably embarrass yourself further.

Offline Dracula

• DVD Addict
  • There is a choice...death or immortality....
  • Liked:
« Reply #74 on: May 24, 2002 at 05:34 PM »
Anybody have a disk that has RCE he's willing to loan out just going to try it on my player to see if it can play the disk promise to take care of it and return it as soon as possible  ;D

Offline Alfie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #75 on: May 24, 2002 at 06:36 PM »
Dracula  Check out Movie Depot, She has a lot of RCE titles, some recomended ones are the following;
1) Snatch-My Panasonic failed with the deleted scenes
2) Charlie's Angels
3) Patriot
Check them out, they have their own thread at the Rental Forum, and they have discounts for PinoyDVD members. ;)

Offline benny

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #76 on: May 24, 2002 at 10:17 PM »
Dracula - I have Charlie's Angels R1; you can borrow it if you want. Just send me a pm.  :)

Offline Dracula

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #77 on: May 25, 2002 at 09:20 AM »
Thanks benny mga next weekend na lang cguro kasi i'll be leaving for pangasinan on sunday one week ako there i'll send you a pm when i get back.

By the way what happens to the player if it can't play the disk wala naman effect sa multi region status nya? kasi as i remember somebody posted that local multi region players are just r3 players modified by the manufacturers so that they can play disks from any region (my players Philllips nga pala).  

Offline Alfie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #78 on: May 25, 2002 at 09:30 AM »
Dracula  Do take care with the Philips brand(especially the 2nd generation ones), a fellow member Vacummtubes posted that his Philips was reverted back to R3 by the notorius "Animal"DVD(check out the post at the Philips thread of the Sources Forum).
He has to shell out a few(Php500) pesos for the Philips people to convert it back to multiregion.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2002 at 09:31 AM by Alfie »

Offline Dracula

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #79 on: May 25, 2002 at 09:36 AM »
Dracula  Do take care with the Philips brand(especially the 2nd generation ones), a fellow member Vacummtubes posted that his Philips was reverted back to R3 by the notorius "Animal"DVD(check out the post at the Philips thread of the Sources Forum).
He has to shell out a few(Php500) pesos for the Philips people to convert it back to multiregion.

Thanks for the heads up

benny

won't borrow the disk takot ako baka marevert sa region 3 yung player ko and all my favorite disks are in region one :-[
« Last Edit: May 25, 2002 at 09:59 AM by dracula »

Offline Alfie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #80 on: May 25, 2002 at 10:09 AM »
Dracula  No need to fear if you have the newer models(916?I believe, the Php9,900) their firmware were reportedly RCE immune, in fact the worse that can happen is that they won't play.

Offline Dracula

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #81 on: May 25, 2002 at 10:35 AM »

Dracula  No need to fear if you have the newer models(916?I believe, the Php9,900) their firmware were reportedly RCE immune, in fact the worse that can happen is that they won't play.

Unfortunately my player is an older model i think its the 711

Offline dicmat2001

• Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #82 on: May 27, 2002 at 12:55 PM »
i have same player unit with alfie - Panasonic A300. I rented out R1 copies of some titles confirmed with RCE but fortunately i able to viewed them all without hassle :

The Animal
Hollow Man
Knights Tale
Charlies Angel
Final Fantasy.

So far, i have'nt encountered any problem.

dicmat

Offline lexmil

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #83 on: May 27, 2002 at 04:17 PM »
There should be a groundswell of anti-RCE consumer movements worldwide to force these greedy hollywood executives from designing their products on the assumption that all consumers steal.  

Macrovision protected discs prevent consumers from making a VHS copy of their DVDs.  RCE-protected diiscs prevent consumers from getting titles when they shop abroad for titles not available in their own country.  What is wrong with that?  That is precisely one of the thrill of going abroad - getting things not available locally!!

This is the reason why generac-DVDs players and pirated copies thrive.  The better for us consumers.

I can understand RCE-protection for films that have yet to be released on DVDs.  But old titles like Charlie's Angels, and the Patriot that have already been released worldwide by now, why still product RCE-protected disks?  RCE should be time-limited.

This is a case of total greed and paranoia of someone eating their profits!!!  What have we become.  Greed has prompted hollywood to harness technology to making life difficult for us all.  Much as would like to boycott them, I love their movies so much to do so.  

Offline Dracula

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #84 on: Jun 11, 2002 at 11:28 AM »
Who has a SAST player the one from china can that play RCE disks?

Offline Alfie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #85 on: Jun 11, 2002 at 08:27 PM »
Dracula check out the SAST thread, your question, I believe ha been answered and posted in the Part 1 SAST thread.

Offline jetstar

• Collector
  • Yohh!
  • Liked:
« Reply #86 on: Jun 11, 2002 at 08:45 PM »
 :) Now, I don't really regret on buying a DVD-ROM (Pioneer). It's dirt cheap compared to standalone players. My PC is connected to my HT. On PC monitor, it's like having a progressive-scan TV (no-flicker and Pin-sharp images). My TV-out is S-Video and Composite. Planning to buy a large monitor next year.  Region Killer is a program that fools the software player that the system is Hardware Region Locked so walang problema sa RCE-protection.  Compared it with stand-alone player and it's better on TV. Even VCDs are finer on PowerDVD than stand-alone players.
Yamaha-Wharfedale
PolkAudio-LG 3D-Sony-AppleTV
Onkyo-Aurum Cantus-Pioneer Elite- LG UHD
MonitorAudio

Offline krus_tee

• Apprentice
  • Aaaaargh!
  • Liked:
« Reply #87 on: Oct 14, 2002 at 05:10 PM »
here's an update from http://www.dvdtalk.com/rce.html:

Dogtown and ZBoys
Panic Room (Superbit)
The Sweetest Thing (Rated & Unrated Versions)

you may want to subscribe to this site, keeps you updated for new rce dvds.

Offline rafgar

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
RCE in R1 Spiderman, Enough and Mr. Deeds
« Reply #88 on: Oct 23, 2002 at 12:27 PM »
Just received this message from DVD Talk:

CONFIRMED RCE: Spiderman - Enough - Mr. Deeds

As we had feared it looks like Columbia Tri-Star is now putting RCE on all their major titles. Today we unfortunately confirmed that Spiderman does infact have RCE (along with Enough and Mr. Deeds. We fully expect Men in Black II and xXx to have RCE, but we'll test both discs when we get them and let you know one way or another!

As always we'll send out an RCE update on titles as soon as they are confirmed and post an updated list on our RCE Page

Thanks to all of you who help us keep the DVD Talk RCE Page up to date.

To those who have R1 copies of the above titles, totoo nga bang may RCE na ang mga ito?

rafgar
 :o

Offline d-mark

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Collector
  • rock on
  • Liked:
Re:RCE in R1 Spiderman, Enough and Mr. Deeds
« Reply #89 on: Oct 30, 2002 at 07:56 AM »
i watched enough the other day (borrowed fr aca)
wala namang problema playing it sa pioneer dvd ko...
its region 1...  :)