Author Topic: Satellite TV  (Read 5780 times)

Offline Don_Camote

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Have a good one!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Satellite TV
« on: Jan 24, 2005 at 06:08 PM »
I was wondering about this Satellite TV reception, and I was just reading about this...

http://www.nokia.com/flash/homeproducts/digitv/index.html

Given the correct equipment setup, does it mean we can now receive satellite broadcast even from external providers? 

Offline viper

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • i took the money and ran . . . . but now I'm back
  • Liked:
Re: Satellite TV
« Reply #1 on: Apr 12, 2005 at 08:33 PM »
As long as the equipment matches that of the satellite provider operating in your area (in our case in pinas, Dream TV) and you have a subscription with them (as in you provide recurring payments for the service), then you can receive the programs carried by these providers.

Offline migs26

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2005 at 01:29 PM »
to dream subscribers,

pwede bang i-extend to other TV Sets yung output ng decoder ??  or is it exclusive to 1 TV set?
hows the reception during rainy days?? i've heard na medyo masama daw reception pag umulan...

i quote this from their website  ---

"DREAM Broadcasting System is the first to offer digital direct-to-home (DTH) television entertainment via satellite in the Philippines... "

if they are digital, does this mean that they are capable of transmitting Dolby Digital/DTS  track in their broadcast...

TIA.  O0  O0

Migs

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Twitter: @indieboi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2005 at 07:13 PM »
Cool! The equipment featured in that Nokia link is the same equipment that is being tested here in the Philippines since two years ago. The difference though is that they have reconfigured that receiver/recorder (it has an 80-gigabyte hard drive to record Digital TV signals) to receive - record - play educational materials for selected pilot schools all over the country.

Offline Qman

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • DVD Addict
  • crawling in my skin ....
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2005 at 08:44 PM »
to dream subscribers,

pwede bang i-extend to other TV Sets yung output ng decoder ??  or is it exclusive to 1 TV set?
hows the reception during rainy days?? i've heard na medyo masama daw reception pag umulan...

i quote this from their website  ---

"DREAM Broadcasting System is the first to offer digital direct-to-home (DTH) television entertainment via satellite in the Philippines... "

if they are digital, does this mean that they are capable of transmitting Dolby Digital/DTS  track in their broadcast...

TIA.  O0  O0

Migs
pede extension me bibilhin ka lang na parang booster forgot the name anyways problem is kung ano ang pinapalabas ng main tv ganoon din sa extension.

yah me problem ang reception pag ka umuulan, minsan me pixelation or nawawala sya completely.

Offline xeqtionr

• Collector
  • ALL your BASE are BELONG to US...
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Sep 15, 2005 at 06:28 PM »
to dream subscribers,

TIA.  O0  O0

Migs

Migs, if Dream claims that they offer digital broadcast via satellite, that's more of a sales pitch IMHO. Sure, they've achieved DTH satellite broadcast, but the quality of broadcast is in the reception, which is, less than stellar. Pag mga fast moving images na ang naipapalabas, pixelated na ang resulta, just like cable. I'm not saying this just to make OKRAY, because I am a Dream subscriber also.

And I don't know if they are capable of transmitting Dolby Digital or DTS tracks. The Dream receiver only has 2-channel audio outputs for direct connection to a hi-fi stereo TV.

Advice (up to you whether to follow or not):
If you have a home theater speaker system, you can connect the Dream receiver's 2 audio jacks to the left & right stereo channel inputs on your HT rig for more enhanced sound. I did this practice when I purchased my Nextbase HT system...
Screws fall off everytime. The world is an imperfect place...

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #6 on: Sep 15, 2005 at 07:34 PM »
A friend subscribed to Dream, and was really angry, since they don't carry ABS-CBN and Studio 23 daw? E Big Brother/Amazing Race fanatic pa naman siya.

Is this true? How weird...
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline xeqtionr

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Sep 16, 2005 at 06:53 PM »
It's not that they don't carry ABS-CBN channels, they just recently PULLED them OFF their line-up. Dream and ABS-CBN has this long-standing disagreement on broadcasting Free-to-Air channels. IMO, Dream considers Channel 2  a Free-to-Air channel since it's available even without cable. Somehow, ABS-CBN has a different idea on the subject of Free-To-Air channels...

I first became aware of this issue as early as 2002 when we subscribed to Dream. Channel 2 and Studio 23 went back on air (IMO) at the height of the Meteor Garden craze and the UAAP tournament.

Offline xeqtionr

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Oct 02, 2005 at 05:15 PM »
A friend subscribed to Dream, and was really angry, since they don't carry ABS-CBN and Studio 23 daw? E Big Brother/Amazing Race fanatic pa naman siya.

Is this true? How weird...

Well, guess what? Channel 2 and Studio 23 are back on Dream's line-up.

Offline ralfy

• DVD Guru
  • I am the Mountie!
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Nov 21, 2005 at 03:33 AM »
I got the Dream B-Plan recently because the images on the TV screen looked sharp in the demo unit, and the signal from my cable TV isn't always clear. It turns out that the sat TV image is clear because the TV screen of the demo unit is small. With a larger screen, the video has almost the same quality as VCD.

Offline DViant

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HDMI ver 2.1
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 56
« Reply #10 on: Nov 21, 2005 at 09:04 AM »
raify it isnt the fault of Dream that SDTV is limited to 720x480.

I for one would wait for the HD Dream service. That'll make Satellite TV shine as I doubt cable or free TV will be offering HDTV content any time soon.

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Nov 21, 2005 at 09:49 AM »
I got the Dream B-Plan recently because the images on the TV screen looked sharp in the demo unit, and the signal from my cable TV isn't always clear. It turns out that the sat TV image is clear because the TV screen of the demo unit is small. With a larger screen, the video has almost the same quality as VCD.

I saw the Dream pic quality on a 42" plasma demo at Duty Free a few years back.  It pixellates at fast moving scenes.

Offline vision_of_love

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Nov 21, 2005 at 10:11 AM »
try nyo tong pinoy forum by satellite tv enthusiasts:

http://www.mydreamtv.com/

Offline artsky

• Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #13 on: Nov 21, 2005 at 08:05 PM »
you mean to say guys, na mas malinaw ng di-hamak ang picture quality sa cable kesa sa dream?

Offline vision_of_love

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Nov 21, 2005 at 09:21 PM »
no,mas malinaw ang dream.it depends kasi sa signal quality na nakukuha nyo,kung may nakaharang ng tree or building or umuulan/cloudy.the forum above has some credible testimonials.i for one is just a recent dream subscriber,we have a 28 inch tv,ok naman,mas malinaw sa cable definitely.

Offline bumblebee

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #15 on: Nov 21, 2005 at 10:15 PM »
My experience w/ satt TV was in a hotel. Not much improvement (if at all) compared to cable TV. But satt broadcast is a "new" technology here. Let's wait some more and see what happens.

Offline Battousai

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Akatsuki Leader
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Nov 21, 2005 at 11:08 PM »
Ayaw ko ng idea na isa lang may control ng papanoorin mo. Di ba sa satellite, pag splitter mo, kung ano palabas sa main, ganun din lalabas sa extension?

Offline bumblebee

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Nov 22, 2005 at 08:07 AM »
Ayaw ko ng idea na isa lang may control ng papanoorin mo. Di ba sa satellite, pag splitter mo, kung ano palabas sa main, ganun din lalabas sa extension?

Parang ganun nga. You probably need two satt signal receivers (yun ba yung tawag dun?).
« Last Edit: Nov 22, 2005 at 08:08 AM by bumblebee »

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Nov 22, 2005 at 10:15 AM »
you mean to say guys, na mas malinaw ng di-hamak ang picture quality sa cable kesa sa dream?

It depends.  Dream broadcasts digital SDTV (Standard Definition).  Whether using satellite or cable, digital broadcast is almost always clearer.  If there's a problem like line of sight or interferrence, you won't get a signal.  Unlike analog cable, where you get snowy or blurred pictures when there's transmission interferences  In digital, you either get the signal, or you don't.  I think the problem lies in their bandwidth.  They tend to cram as many channels into their satellite bandwidth so that the data stream per channel is reduced.  For small screens up to 29" this may not be obvious, but in large displays, from 32" ++, pixellation can become more obvious. 

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Nov 22, 2005 at 10:21 AM »

They are capable but they won't.  Transmitting DD/DTS require substantial bandwidth that they'd rather use to put additional channels.  Also, the receiving satellite box should be able to decode as well.  I don't think their set-top boxes can.  DD/DTS are often reserved for HDTV broadcasts like those in the US.  Whether via cable or satellite.

Offline xeqtionr

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Nov 24, 2005 at 07:22 PM »
Parang ganun nga. You probably need two satt signal receivers (yun ba yung tawag dun?).

You definitely need two IRDs (integrated receiver-decoders) connected to 1 sat dish if you're going to need an extension. That means another subscription to Dream.

Offline bumblebee

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Nov 24, 2005 at 07:28 PM »
You definitely need two IRDs (integrated receiver-decoders) connected to 1 sat dish if you're going to need an extension. That means another subscription to Dream.

Aren't there any readily available IRD's? Any additional extension fee, for me, is BS.

Offline xeqtionr

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Nov 24, 2005 at 07:36 PM »
Aren't there any readily available IRD's? Any additional extension fee, for me, is BS.

Ang alam ko, only Dream sells their 'readily available' IRDs to prevent others from hacking into their signal. Other IRDs would be bought thru the black market, I think.

Offline bumblebee

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Dec 02, 2005 at 08:21 AM »

Offline xeqtionr

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Dec 04, 2005 at 11:15 AM »
ABS-CBN wins injunction against Dream Satellite

It seems that by winning this injunction, ABS-CBN is stifling the Pinoy viewer's desire for quality TV programming. Is it their intention to make Dream lose more subscribers in this manner by winning their case against Dream?

Offline Ice Storm

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 47
« Reply #25 on: Dec 17, 2005 at 06:19 AM »
If I were dream i'd start selling satellite kits for HD service. As of now the only way to get HD content via satellite is through a foreign satellite TV provider. I've heard that some AV shops offer imported kits but at a price point that may rival some HD displays.

The only thing holding me back from buying a HD display is the lack of real time HD content. Sure you could download 720p or 1080i content off p2p file sharing apps like BitTorrent but it would take days to finish and multiterabyte hard disc drives to store.