Author Topic: Difference between DTS and DD?  (Read 37663 times)

Offline krets pulpol

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • what's your major malfunction numb nuts!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1582
Re:Difference between DTS and DD?
« Reply #30 on: Feb 12, 2004 at 12:06 AM »
an initial reaction of a dts soundtrack would be much louder compared to a dolby soundtrack. the only difference is that dts employs highfer sampling rate and offers higher decibel rates. it depends on certain dvds with great dolby soundtracks or dts soundtracks.
reference dvds for this
black hawk down - dolby
u-571 - dts
gladiator - dts (6.1)
star wars episode 1 and 2 - dolby (ex)
underworld - dolby
saving private ryan - dts
etc. try them out to hear the difference  ;)

the more important thing about them, dvds should have better mixes, good surrounds and right lfe's.

most of the receivers today have dts and dolby decoders, you don't have to buy dvd players with these decoders but if you have a big budget to spare, go ahead and get a reference type. thx, it's a different story! they have different standards, a notch higher in wattages and better frequency ranges. by the way thx and dolby are partners in producing dolby ex (extended) soundtracks of certains movies.

enjoy!   ;D
what?! are you talkin' to me!!!

Offline krets pulpol

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: Feb 12, 2004 at 11:04 AM »
oops i forgot to include the two lord of the rings esp. the extended ones because they both have dolby ex mixes and dts 6.1 soundtracks

enjoy again!  ;D

Offline dogears

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #32 on: Feb 12, 2004 at 11:39 AM »
in fairness sa DD, nai-post ko na ata ito somewhere dito pero kung gusto ninyong marinig ang glory ng DD, go watch Star Wars 1 and 2. Bumilib ako sa DD nung mapanood ko yan.

Offline krets pulpol

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: Feb 17, 2004 at 02:03 PM »
just an update on Dolby Labs...

If you'll notice a newer logo on some latest receivers, take note on the Dolby Prologic logo.  If it says Dolby Prologic IIx, your receiver can process the latest technology from Dolby Labs.

Now for the Prologic IIx (yep with a small x), this latest technology can process a stereo or 5.1 signal into 6.1 or 7.1 channel output.  The only difference for the 6.1 and 7.1 channel is the rear center.  A 7.1 setup has a split rear center at the back (2 speakers for the back).

Offline dogearz

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: Mar 01, 2004 at 12:34 PM »
Kainis talaga yang mga upgrade ng mga technology na yan pati na yung sa DTS... it confuses my brain and my pocket  ;D

I'm sticking to my 4.1 setup  8)

Offline mr.Brown

• Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
Re: Difference between DTS and DD?
« Reply #35 on: Apr 26, 2004 at 02:44 PM »
the best dvd for dts for me are;
supper speedway
the haunting
dragon hart dts
shadaow man dts
yellow submarine >:D O0

Offline nerveblocker

• Trade Count: (+98)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 247
« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2004 at 08:16 AM »
DTS Test DVDs:

Saving Private Ryan
Eagles Hell Freezes Over
Behind Enemy Lines
Minority Report
Jurassic Park
U-571
The Haunting

Offline slowhand

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2004 at 10:37 AM »
Time to include Master and Commander in these lists.

Offline FASTBACK

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: Jun 22, 2004 at 04:53 AM »
Very confusing indeed.

Offline hemisphere

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • On the Lot!
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: Jun 25, 2004 at 11:48 PM »
question co-members...

paano pag DTS encoded and THX certified ang dvd.. i assume it would play the DTS on the DTS option and THX on the DD.. right?

titles like atlantis and emperor's new groove have both insignias..

???

Offline toshiba

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: Jun 26, 2004 at 04:29 AM »
question co-members...

paano pag DTS encoded and THX certified ang dvd.. i assume it would play the DTS on the DTS option and THX on the DD.. right?

titles like atlantis and emperor's new groove have both insignias..

???

if you have a thx certified receiver or processor then you can play it both ways- dd+thx or dts+thx. :)

Offline hemisphere

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • On the Lot!
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: Jun 28, 2004 at 05:48 PM »
wow.. thanks toshiba for the answers....

upgrad upgrade upgrade.. kelangan ko na mag-upgrade!!!   ;D

Offline jerix

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • got no golden ears...just loving music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #42 on: Jul 30, 2004 at 08:08 AM »
all i know is that for DVDs having both DD and DTS, i always select the DTS... it seems to me that a DTS signal is louder-- and one more, since every DVD has a DD, i feel that a disk with a DTS is special so i always choose it over DD --  ::)
Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II

Offline nerveblocker

• Trade Count: (+98)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 247
« Reply #43 on: Jul 30, 2004 at 01:32 PM »
You must have a good subwoofer to handle some DTS tracks.  Sometimes they go so low that the sub bottoms out.  Shift to DD and it lessens strain on your system for those LFEs.

With the details that DTS tracks produce, your system should be able to handle it.

Offline ravencreed

• Collector
  • DVD ENTHUSIAST
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: Jul 30, 2004 at 01:59 PM »
You must have a good subwoofer to handle some DTS tracks.  Sometimes they go so low that the sub bottoms out.  Shift to DD and it lessens strain on your system for those LFEs.

With the details that DTS tracks produce, your system should be able to handle it.

these is true to my experience also. but i only lessen the output volume of the subwoofer because i still prefer DTS over at DD for the clarity of it.

Offline mcbry

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Addict
  • TRuSt YoUr eArS!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: Dec 03, 2004 at 12:08 PM »
another option is to invest on a good subwoofer that can handle very low frequencies  :)
in this way you'll got to enjoy your DTS format.

:)

Offline killer

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: Dec 03, 2004 at 03:10 PM »
I just bought a relatively economical HTS (TEAC); all that came with the package were the sub and 5 speakers, and the player. There is the option to select DTS, however, it falls under the "surround sound" category and is not configured the way DTS is described here: as DTS out via a receiver. Does this mean I do not have "true" DTS?  ???

oh and any reviews from the resident experts for the TEAC PLD-2200? much obliged.  :)

Offline dsc500

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: Dec 21, 2004 at 05:58 PM »
hey guys, im kinda new here, im using a jbl dsc 500 system, it doesn't have it's own reciever because the package includes a dvd player and a 5.1 surround system, i was just wondering if i buy a dts encoded dvd will it automatically play in dts format or do i have to do something, i also noticed that some discs when i play it, the dts icon appears on the screen of the player...just want to ask but sometimes i have to go the menu to chose dts than dd..thanks guys

Offline bukoy

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: Jan 02, 2005 at 02:13 PM »
Bit rate, clarity infavor of DTS.

Offline jerix

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • got no golden ears...just loving music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #49 on: Jan 11, 2005 at 11:35 AM »
i have read somewhere that DTS is paying royalties to DD for the DTS-ES..  ::)
Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II

Offline allanmandy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Mathematical!
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: Jan 15, 2005 at 02:00 AM »
Nakakabilib din yung Home Theater Mix ng ibang Disney DVD's (Lion King, Aladdin). DD format siya, but mas surroung ang feeling.

Offline JhunDV

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Good old-fashioned lover boy!
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: Jan 16, 2005 at 03:55 PM »
I just bought a relatively economical HTS (TEAC); all that came with the package were the sub and 5 speakers, and the player. There is the option to select DTS, however, it falls under the "surround sound" category and is not configured the way DTS is described here: as DTS out via a receiver. Does this mean I do not have "true" DTS?  ???

You still can play DTS-encoded DVDs if your player has built-in DTS decoder.  If your player is integrated to a receiver, most probably it can play DTS.  :)
Panny 50VT30 - Onkyo 818 - Polk  RTiA5/CSiA6/FXiA4/DSWPro550 - MEDE8ER 1000x3D - Synology DS413j

Offline JhunDV

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Good old-fashioned lover boy!
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: Jan 16, 2005 at 04:02 PM »
hey guys, im kinda new here, im using a jbl dsc 500 system, it doesn't have it's own reciever because the package includes a dvd player and a 5.1 surround system, i was just wondering if i buy a dts encoded dvd will it automatically play in dts format or do i have to do something, i also noticed that some discs when i play it, the dts icon appears on the screen of the player...just want to ask but sometimes i have to go the menu to chose dts than dd..thanks guys

I think your player is integrated to a receiver, so i think it's capable of playing DTS-encoded DVDs.  :)
Panny 50VT30 - Onkyo 818 - Polk  RTiA5/CSiA6/FXiA4/DSWPro550 - MEDE8ER 1000x3D - Synology DS413j

Offline skidrow1140

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
What is the difference between DTS and 5.1?
« Reply #53 on: Jan 26, 2005 at 03:58 PM »
Hello to all,
Kinda new here. I just wanted to know what is the difference between DTS and a 5.1?

Many thanks
skid :D
rock on!

Offline Philander

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Re: What is the difference between DTS and 5.1?
« Reply #54 on: Jan 26, 2005 at 04:13 PM »
Kung tama yung question mo...

DTS is a Digital Theater System sound format by DTS Inc which is a Digital Surround is the standard for providing 5.1 channels of discrete digital audio in consumer electronics products and software content.

5.1 is the number of speakers or speaker configuration in a theater system.

Anyway, I think you mean DTS and DD? Right?

See more here:
http://www.dtsonline.com/consumer/technology/

and the ongoing thread about DD and DTS:
http://www.pinoydvd.com/board/index.php?topic=13183.0

Offline skidrow1140

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: Jan 26, 2005 at 05:10 PM »
Philander,
Thanks for the info! :)

Confuse lang ako, pag manood ka na ng movie, sa root menu andun yun option ng play movie, audio setup, screen selection, etc... Sa audio setup may choices na English DTS, English5.1 etc... Ano po bang difference nun? Tapos ito pa, meron ding choices mismo dun sa player. Kailangan bang sabay isetup ung sa mismong movie at sa player?

Thanks in advace!
skid
rock on!

Offline Philander

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: Jan 26, 2005 at 05:24 PM »
Philander,
Thanks for the info! :)

Confuse lang ako, pag manood ka na ng movie, sa root menu andun yun option ng play movie, audio setup, screen selection, etc... Sa audio setup may choices na English DTS, English5.1 etc... Ano po bang difference nun? Tapos ito pa, meron ding choices mismo dun sa player. Kailangan bang sabay isetup ung sa mismong movie at sa player?

Thanks in advace!
skid

Ah okay, no problem.

Yung 5.1 dun sa Menu I think its Dolby Digital 5.1, di lang clear yung selection.

In layman’s term, DTS and DD are two audio format generally uses in theater (and home-theater) system, both DTS and DD contains 5.1 ch sound (though it can be 5.0) which produces 6ch sound to comply in the properly set-up 5.1 system where the center speaker is in the front of the listener and the surround are located in the rear. However, they have different implementation of the 5.1 sound since it’s their proprietary and have slightly different in terms of audio technical properties.

For technical info, please refer to the thread I posted above.

Regarding the settings on the DVD Player, it depends, if you have digital connection, basically you just need to output audio as RAW ot bitstream format then the receiver (decoder) will process the audio... For analog, you need to configure the player as 5.1 system and enable all the speakers to produce 5.1 sound which is connected to a 5ch amplifier and 5 pc speaker system and a subwoofer.

Offline digitalprincess

• Apprentice
  • BITBLASTERSDVD.COM
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: Jan 30, 2005 at 02:14 AM »
I wonder why DTS capability  big deal when purchasing a dvd.
I have T2 UE but cannot tell the difference between DTS and DD.
What other dvd/s that evidently show/s the difference?

The big difference, is that, if you have 5.1 speakers, the speaker will sound as if the things is really happening in the back.
Like when we watch some dts movies, you think that your door is really the one making sound, when infact its your speaker.

Each speaker produces various sound, in a clear manner.  Go to DTS website and you will know.

Offline ToyHammer

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: Feb 14, 2005 at 07:26 PM »
Actually the difference between DD vs. DTS has long been debated among home theater enthusiasts and depnding on who you believe the answers may vary. There are facts and there are opinions.

Facts:
1) DTS uses a less compressed codec than DD. Typical DTS dvds run at what is actually half bitrate DTS which is at 754 kbps. Full bitrate (1508 kbps ) DTS is rarely used nowadays but was a bit more common in the early days of dvd. (Off the top of my head a recent release with full bitrate would be The Passion of the Christ). DD 5.1 runs at 384 kbps or 448 kbps depending on the title.

2) Dolby digital is a standard in the dvd format. This means ALL dvds must have some form of Dolby on them, be it 5.1, 2.0 or even mono. This is why Dolby is a default for dvds and DTS seems more exclusive. Also As a result of this not all dvd players can decode DTS but they can all decode Dolby Digital.

3) Some dvds that feature both DTS and DD are not from the same masters. This is very important because some percieved differences between the two formats actually stem from unfair comparissons because they come from different masters.

Dolby Digital is often seen as being of  lower quality but in actuallity a properly mixed DD track can equal or exceed DTS tracks in sound clarity and quality. It just so happens that DTS is marketed as a "premium" brand and as such (arguably) more care is taken in the mixing of these tracks (otherwise, why would a studio shell out for an additional optional track?) . A proper A-B test of the two codecs with a reference track (audio adjusted to levelize the inherently louder DTS) would most likely show no difference between the two.

That being said at least one major studio (Warner Bros.) believes so much that there is negligible difference in the two that they don't use DTS anymore. (They released the lethal weapon series in DTS but there was no appreciable difference between those tracks and their DD counterparts so they stopped producing them). The philosophy of Warner seems sound, DTS uses too much bandwidth that could otherwise be used for the video quality instead. Look at the Matrix series, unbelievable picture quality and unbelievable sound. Its all in the proper mixing  ;D

Offline edboy7

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • My name is Juan Antonio
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #59 on: Feb 14, 2005 at 07:58 PM »
its the same mix but diff codec ryt? :)  dts rocks for me :) maybe warner would release matrix series in HD dvd with loseless DTS ;D
« Last Edit: Feb 14, 2005 at 08:01 PM by edboy7 »