Author Topic: DIY projector screen  (Read 96571 times)

Offline ericag_ph

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Addict
  • Oompa Loompas rule!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: DIY screens
« Reply #30 on: Jul 18, 2006 at 08:46 PM »
I can't remember, maybe P600 per yard (cash has discount), but it was definitely around P3000-3500 at the most for everything (wood, blackout, staple gun,etc).  I bought the wood at Home Depot ...the one in ortigas ave near meralco, I even asked them to cut it for me  (so you need to give precise measurements).  Then I used L bars and screwed them into the wood rather than hammer+nail them together.
You need to put some wooden support in the frame (don't just make a rectangle) to prevent it from twisting once you mount it (I didn't do this, so if I remove the speakers, the screen will twist a bit.  I wrapped the black cloth into the wooden frame before connecting the frame together.  Check if the staple gun you buy (about P250) will go through the wood...it should, but check just to be sure :)

Make sure the wood doesn't bend (it will if it is too thin)...so before you have them cut it, test it by holding it horizontally in the air...

The key, is correct/accurate measurements... the thickness of your frame should factor in, there are many DVD aspect ratios from 4:3 to 16:9 etc...so whatever image you project must fall into the viewing area.... mine fits perfectly  :)

Good luck...and post some pictures when you're done :)

ok ah. just found out may shell canvass sa shangri la. eric, how much did you pay for your Blackout cloth? and i suppose you built your frame also. thanks for all the help.
« Last Edit: Jul 18, 2006 at 08:56 PM by ericag_ph »

Offline mheloy

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: Jul 19, 2006 at 02:37 PM »
Guys I ask Shell Canvas kanina sa MC Home Depot sa Fort. 375 per yard yung Blackout Cloth. 54" yung width nya.

FYI

Offline mheloy

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: Jul 19, 2006 at 02:47 PM »
Guys I ask Shell Canvas kanina sa MC Home Depot sa Fort. 375 per yard yung Blackout Cloth. 54" yung width nya.

FYI

300 naman pala yung pure white na blackout.

Offline ericag_ph

• DVD Addict
  • Oompa Loompas rule!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: Jul 19, 2006 at 04:40 PM »
Ah that's why it's cheaper ....54" width... Normally if you wanted 3 meters of that, they'll sell you 3 meters by 54" at xx pesos per meter (or yard)

I think the one I got is twice the usual width (108"), due to my requirements (I needed at minimum a 65" x 112" cloth to make a 61" x 108" viewable screen), so I think it was never "cut".  I probably bought 3 meters (or 2.5m?) x 108" (and did not use the excess).
Giving me a 162" (or 135") x 108" piece of cloth... reorient (rotate) the cloth, and you have the 65" x 112" you need.

!! You can use the excess to test (practice ka muna) how strong the cloth is when stapling and stretching it (pero don't over stretch, just pull until no slack).

To them it was an unusual size for the cloth.

It depends on the size, but I really can't remember na.

I should also mention, once the Blackout cloth becomes your 16:9 screen, take care of it.
Adhesive tape left on the cloth (like my temporary Blackout curtains) can pull out the Blackout material (didikit), destroying it's Blackout properties.

FYI
« Last Edit: Jul 19, 2006 at 05:00 PM by ericag_ph »

Offline voj

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • Ephesians 2:8-9
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: Oct 30, 2006 at 09:06 AM »
Is PANAFLEX a good material for a DIY projector screen.  I want to get one that can be assembled to a 10 ft by 10 ft screen.  I'm might try to build one since the cost of a a screen this size is almost P50,000.00 and I need it for my business.

Blackout cloth will do but I don't know if they have it at these sizes.

The P50,000 screens come in folded with frames and stand that need to be assembled.  I don't know if the creases are visible once unfolded and stretched to the frame.

Do you think the quality will be acceptable?  Thanks

voj

Offline atomicat10

• Collector
  • SHOWTIME
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: Oct 31, 2006 at 09:23 PM »
Has anyone tried doing the DIY screen of projector central which is made of superwhite seamless paper?

Offline devo

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Collector
  • life's a bitch
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: Nov 02, 2006 at 04:42 PM »

FYI
can this blackout cloth be used as a double on the curtains of windows to further darken the room? how effective is this cloth to block the light coming from the outside? TIA
rock and roll is here to stay...........

Offline mheloy

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: Nov 02, 2006 at 06:42 PM »
if you use blackout cloth, walang tatagos na liwanag sa cloth. kasi walang holes yung cloth.

Offline Eric S.

• Apprentice
  • Etong Iyo!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: Nov 07, 2006 at 08:57 AM »
  Blackout cloth din yun screen ko...dito nga lang sa Istet na ginawa ko. Check nyo lang yun thread na 'to for pics...from 2005 to present. http://pinoydvd.com/board/index.php?topic=53372.0

Offline ericag_ph

• DVD Addict
  • Oompa Loompas rule!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: Nov 08, 2006 at 12:59 PM »
Don't know about panaflex... most DIY I have seen uses blackout cloth.

Your second problem is if the projector you will use can project to that size and still be good in picture quality/brightness.  Small HT projectors, including mine suggest only up to 80" diag.

Your third problem is your projection distance...do you have enough room to project to that size?  Depending on the projector you have, they normally have calculators online, on how large your image can be given a distance. 

If you use Blackout, I can tell you that the folds/creases won't go away in a few hours/a day unless it is being stretched.

Is PANAFLEX a good material for a DIY projector screen.  I want to get one that can be assembled to a 10 ft by 10 ft screen.  I'm might try to build one since the cost of a a screen this size is almost P50,000.00 and I need it for my business.

Blackout cloth will do but I don't know if they have it at these sizes.

The P50,000 screens come in folded with frames and stand that need to be assembled.  I don't know if the creases are visible once unfolded and stretched to the frame.

Do you think the quality will be acceptable?  Thanks

voj

Offline ericag_ph

• DVD Addict
  • Oompa Loompas rule!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: Nov 08, 2006 at 01:06 PM »
Yes, its what I use to darken the room... no light gets through at all... but...problem is that light still passes through at the edge of the blackout cloth, even if well beyond the window.  I have to tape the cloth edges to the wall...
I haven't found a better solution...

can this blackout cloth be used as a double on the curtains of windows to further darken the room? how effective is this cloth to block the light coming from the outside? TIA

Offline ricky

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 544
« Reply #41 on: Nov 08, 2006 at 10:40 PM »
Yes, its what I use to darken the room... no light gets through at all... but...problem is that light still passes through at the edge of the blackout cloth, even if well beyond the window.  I have to tape the cloth edges to the wall...
I haven't found a better solution...

Sir you might want to use VELCRO on all sides to really seal out the lights :)

Offline devo

• Collector
  • life's a bitch
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: Nov 09, 2006 at 09:05 AM »
Sir you might want to use VELCRO on all sides to really seal out the lights :)
hello ricky,

how do you attach the velcro on the surfaces of the cloth and on the wall? are the velcro outer
surfaces equipped with adhesives? TIA.

Offline ericag_ph

• DVD Addict
  • Oompa Loompas rule!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: Nov 09, 2006 at 10:19 AM »
I've tried velcro...  they don't stick (adhesive) too well to the blackout cloth...
they stick more to each other. so they'll come-off the walls and take paint, and even the blackout cloth material with them. 

oh, any adhesive material (tape, velcro) you put on the blackout cloth, will tear off/damage the blackout material if you try to remove it.

I might have to go with some kind of clip or snap-on button....

hello ricky,

how do you attach the velcro on the surfaces of the cloth and on the wall? are the velcro outer
« Last Edit: Nov 09, 2006 at 10:22 AM by ericag_ph »

Offline ricky

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: Nov 09, 2006 at 08:17 PM »
hello ricky,

When I bought my black out cloth at shelll canvass I requested the salesgirl if i can have the velcro(bought from them also) attached to it with a wink and 100bucks ;D  Yung Velcro which comes in assorted colors like white, black and brown has two parts di ba, The plastic side and the cloth side.Yung cloth side has been sewn to the black out cloth while yung plastic portion naman since matigas sya I used rubber cement(rugby) to attached to the wall(syempre yung wall dapat may rugby din na manipis para strong ang bonding) ;D I choose the brown color para hindi halata when i removed the black out cloth ;) hope this helps :)

Offline atomicat10

• Collector
  • SHOWTIME
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: Nov 09, 2006 at 08:55 PM »
How about plywood painted white then bordered with black velveeten?

Offline devo

• Collector
  • life's a bitch
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: Nov 10, 2006 at 09:12 AM »
When I bought my black out cloth at shelll canvass I requested the salesgirl if i can have the velcro(bought from them also) attached to it with a wink and 100bucks ;D  Yung Velcro which comes in assorted colors like white, black and brown has two parts di ba, The plastic side and the cloth side.Yung cloth side has been sewn to the black out cloth while yung plastic portion naman since matigas sya I used rubber cement(rugby) to attached to the wall(syempre yung wall dapat may rugby din na manipis para strong ang bonding) ;D I choose the brown color para hindi halata when i removed the black out cloth ;) hope this helps :)
thanks ricky.... will try this out this weekend

Offline ricky

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: Nov 10, 2006 at 09:29 AM »
thanks ricky.... will try this out this weekend

No problem bro,anytime. Sir eric you might want to try it out too,just make sure that you apply rubber cement correctly for strong bonding otherwise instead yung velcro ang mghiwalay eh yung wall ang bumitaw ;D

Offline ericag_ph

• DVD Addict
  • Oompa Loompas rule!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: Nov 14, 2006 at 01:30 PM »
Thanks for that... I'll probably go for it when my permanent curtains are installed... they'll likely have blackout cloth on the other side...

No problem bro,anytime. Sir eric you might want to try it out too,just make sure that you apply rubber cement correctly for strong bonding otherwise instead yung velcro ang mghiwalay eh yung wall ang bumitaw ;D

Offline devo

• Collector
  • life's a bitch
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: Nov 14, 2006 at 01:50 PM »
Was able to source out a cheaper alternative to darken the room, it is the cloth used to make bags. Cloth on one side and a shiny leather type (waterproof) on the other side.

It cost me only 2K for 2 big panels (2mx3m & 2mx2m) of windows :). I used BluTack adhesives between the cloth and the wall as fasteners on the sides. Works very well, wala din tagos ng liwanag ;).

Offline iceman90a

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Guru
  • picture this!!
  • Liked:
Re: DIY projector screen
« Reply #50 on: Apr 10, 2007 at 11:35 PM »
im setting up a small (48 inch wide) screen in the bedroom and i have some questions:

- do the black borders help? (the projection is 16:9 native aspect ratio)
- what does a high gain screen mean?
- what should the surface be, glossy (reflective) or matte?

thanks
money is best spent

Offline alvinthx2

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • DVD Addict
  • System= source+amplification+speaker+ROOM
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: Apr 11, 2007 at 09:35 AM »
I'm setting up a small (48 inch wide) screen in the bedroom and i have some questions:

- do the black borders help? (the projection is 16:9 native aspect ratio)
- what does a high gain screen mean?
- what should the surface be, glossy (reflective) or matte?

thanks

Blackborders helps control the spillover image from being seen as well as making the image square if the is some pincushion in the image.

High gain means that it will multiply the projector lumen's value by the gain factor. Say a daylite high power has a gain factor of 2.8, then if you have a gain of 1.0 for a matte white screen, this screen will increase the brightness level by 2.8.

You could get away with a matte white screen because the screen is quite small. Any descent PJ can have adequate light output with that screen size
STORMAUDIORevel,BAT,VPI,Accuphase,Bryston,Lumagen,Esoteric,PMC,AR,ROON,PURIFI,BENCHMARK,JBL

Offline iceman90a

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Guru
  • picture this!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: Apr 11, 2007 at 12:02 PM »
thanks Sir - so its not recommendable to paint it a glossy white finish? will that increase the "brightness" for when te room is not completely darkened?
money is best spent

Offline alvinthx2

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • DVD Addict
  • System= source+amplification+speaker+ROOM
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: Apr 11, 2007 at 12:27 PM »
I am not sure about this but there is a screen paint material called "Goo screen paint system". I am not sure if it is available in the Philippines. If I were to do it, I would try a neutral paint first (not flat and not glossy), you can always paint over it if you need to change it. For the black borders it should be flat black to minimize reflections.
STORMAUDIORevel,BAT,VPI,Accuphase,Bryston,Lumagen,Esoteric,PMC,AR,ROON,PURIFI,BENCHMARK,JBL

Offline jerix

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • got no golden ears...just loving music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #54 on: Apr 16, 2007 at 12:16 PM »
Bro what is a neutral paint?

I used a white flat wall paint for my 4' x 8' plywood DIY screen and it seems to be fine. This weekend i will paint half of the screen with light gray color just to compare it with the white. ;D 
Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II

Offline jay2

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #55 on: Apr 18, 2007 at 04:39 PM »
Try calling  Microdata in J.P. Rizal Makati (897-77-77 look for mylene), Dun ko nabili screen ko 12x9feet for 15k I think.  ;D

Offline jerix

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: Apr 23, 2007 at 09:16 AM »
Gray color on my 4 x 8 plywood DIY screen is best  ;D
Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II

Offline jay2

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #57 on: Apr 28, 2007 at 01:52 PM »
Try calling  Microdata in J.P. Rizal Makati (897-77-77 look for mylene), Dun ko nabili screen ko 12x9feet for 15k I think.  ;D

oops ... DIY screen pala topic ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: Apr 28, 2007 at 01:52 PM by jay2 »

Offline jerix

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: May 09, 2007 at 12:50 PM »
My DIY screen with adjustable black margins, my two fronts are on the side and two centers 1above the screen, 1 below.
« Last Edit: Feb 01, 2008 at 11:22 AM by jerix »

Offline golp

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: Jul 25, 2007 at 01:54 PM »
anyone tried cutting a manual pull down screen and transferring it to a fixed frame?  any suggestions on how to do this?