Author Topic: Sa Aking Pagkakagising Mula sa Kamulatan (Ato Bautista)  (Read 8131 times)

Offline RMN

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Sa Aking Pagkakagising Mula sa Kamulatan (Ato Bautista)
« on: Apr 20, 2005 at 07:06 PM »
The first time I saw Ato M. Bautista's film, I was easily mesmerized by it's gloss and the slickness of the direction. I sang praises for the not only film, but also the filmmaker, and I even to likened it to Meirelles' City of God. I was so taken by it's freshness that I got carried away. So when a special press screening was announced, I made my way to Mowelfund  in order to see it beyond the surface and to dig deeper in to the film.

Apparently, Sa Aking Pagkakagising Mula sa Kamulatan was "snubbed" by the jury of Cinemalaya because of, I assume, the explicitness of the material and the profanity. When that happened, the filmmakers decided to strike it out on their own and was able to raise around 300k to jumpstart the production. The film basically tells the story of a small barangay and how, through a series of events, the lives of certain residents--trouble making bums who do nothing but drink, a gay parlorista, a boy and his sexually curious girlfriend, her hardworking father and a crooked police chief--cross paths. It explores sex, violence, oppression, despair, and attempts to expose the reality of life in the streets. Ato does this, I think, fairly competently  although there were those who felt that the characters weren't fleshed out that well, and that he failed to show what pushed them into violence. This is where I disagree because save for perhaps one character, the snatcher, one can easily see, though subtly, the events in their past that drove them to their present situation. Another glaring observation raised by others is the profanity laiden dialogue that they found to be too excessive. Again, I disagree. While I must admit that I had a predominantly middle class upbringing, I have seen and heard how streetkids and street urchins curse and they do blurt out the P and G words as if it's very much a normal part of their vocabulary. But then again, I might be wrong.

One thing that the filmmaker attempted to do but failed to achieve was to effectively capture the grit of the streets of Manila. While the darkness is there, it is a tad too clean. I was expecting to see more dirt, more garbage, and perhaps some urine and dog s**t strewn around. It sure didn't look, feel, nor smell like the dark, forbidding streets and alleways I've been to. Nor was it anyway like  Brocka's Maynila sa Kuko ng Liwanag. However, his slick camera work and his edgy style pretty much makes up for this small shortcoming. And the movie is well cast and the performances are ok all around.

I suspect, like I mentioned before, that Ato Bautista must've been watching Fernando Meirelles' City of God which gave him and his co-scriptwriter inspiration for this film. Although one can easily see the influence, he manages to inject his own style and the result is a respectable piece of work. The future for him surely looks bright.

Postcript: As of presstime, Tony Gloria of Unitel has already bought the DVD rights to the film.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2005 at 01:45 PM by RMN »

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
Re: Sa Aking Pagkakagising Mula sa Kamulatan (Ato Bautista)
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2005 at 01:42 PM »
Third World state of affairs
THE OUTSIDER By Erwin Romulo
The Philippine STAR 05/06/2005 

These days, everyone plays the critic. Through text messaging or online forums, one can voice out their opinions without fear of censorship about whatever it is that they feel they should let the rest of the world (in reality, maybe only a circle of less than 10 people) should know. These idoru-critics are our answer to the Pauline Kaels or Cahiers du cinéma of the past and it is truly democracy at work. Now, if only most of them could actually write…

Although bad writing did not come about with the invention of the computer or the Internet, it just seems that there’s a lot more of it polluting the air, opinions armed with little more than three adjectives and an attitude. (Lester Bangs, anyone?) With the advent of cyberspace, it has also become easier for would-be critics or reviewers to cut-and-paste references from Busby Berkeley musicals or "Third-World cinema" and pass it off as their own. A truly sad state-of-affairs.

Not to say there haven’t been wonderful surprises in the form of truly thoughtful and entertaining blogs or an exciting anarchy of views tossed about in the exchange. It’s just becoming more tedious to wade through most of the sludge that’s out there.

Addressing the growing influx of "kids of a new generation armed to teeth with mini-DVDs, laptops that are foldable editing suites, cell phones that take video, cameras that shoot like film," one blog lamented that 90 percent of it "sucks." What of course the writer of that observation didn’t note was that most of it sucked anyway even before the technology was available to the consumers. Guess he, like us here in the print media, is merely lamenting the fact that before we had very precise targets for our criticisms. Now, just like a million Agent Smiths, they’re all around us. And their numbers are growing. * * *
"If this is the future of Philippine cinema, then it is very sad one…"

This was one assessment of Ato Bautista’s Sa Aking Pagkakagising Mula sa Kamulatan that arrived via text messaging after the film’s premiere last week. Although many of us would disagree, one can see why it would provoke such a response.

Visceral, passionate and seething with contempt, the film follows the downward trajectory of a number of no-hopers, misfits and thugs of an urban community into a hell so hot it must be existential. (Or just parts of Manila.) With lots of profanity and perversion, it’s sure to raise hell with our moralists while raising something else for those who daydream of being sodomized by Lito Pimentel.

The negative reactions against the film are probably due to its content and the amoral tone which Bautista employs throughout. Many were shocked at the brutality in the film and the fact that its implications are not confined to the proscenium arch with the filmmaker in the wings doing a post-modern jig singing, "That’s entertainment!" Bautista leaves the viewer to fend for himself, not bothering to beg any sympathy for his characters and showing none to the guilty parties.

Of course, this may be the film’s main weakness as well: The script’s structure is uneven and shaky so as to bar any emotional attachment to any of the characters, not allowing us any space to gain a real foothold on their psyches nor them on our affections. It might be the filmmakers’ objective to confound us even at this level, forging a cinema not of heroes or anti-heroes but of no heroes.

Some may charge Bautista of employing shock tactics but really there is nothing in this film that you don’t see daily on TV Patrol. The only difference would be that the filmmakers on this one have talent and a sensitivity lacking in sensationalistic broadcast journalism. Even if the characters here inspire no sympathy they are not mere statistics.

The director’s minimal aesthetic, the verisimilitude of the actor’s performances (particularly Ketchup Eusebio in a career-making performance) and the script’s acute use of the vernacular all add up to make up a compelling film that distinguishes itself as the true heir to Lino Brocka’s legacy (rather than most of the poverty-exploitation crap being peddled in festivals abroad the past couple of years).

Watch this film and watch the credits especially – those are the names that will push this brand of Philippine cinema in the years to come.

Sa Aking Pagkakagising Mula sa Kamulatan is currently showing at Glorietta 1.

Offline commentary

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2005 at 10:49 PM »
Definitely worth seeing.  The most interesting local film to get a run in theaters this year.

Still working out my feeling for the film as a whole; and I missed the first few minutes.  Planning to see it again before its run finishes. 

On another note: it's been getting plenty of coverage in the papers, which is quite nice to see.  I wonder how much of an influence Unitel has had in that?

Offline commentary

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2005 at 09:37 PM »
Has no one else seen this?  Or is the gang just not commenting yet?

I watched it again last night, and this is a good film.  A very good film.  It's not without its flaws but its the most daring, and well-made, filipino film under 11 hours in the last two years.

Offline oggsmoggs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2005 at 11:51 PM »

Sa Aking Pagkakagising Mula sa Kamulatan - Ato Bautista

Problematic yet worthwhile little film, Sa Aking Pagkakagising Mula sa Kamulatan (My Awakening from Consciousness) showcases brand new cinematic talent just waiting to burst out into the national, if not, international film circuit. The film, shot entirely in interestingly catching digital video , is a gritty, vulgar social ensemble piece which tries to magnify the drunkard-populated alleyways of Manila. The film showcases the lives of a number of interesting characters. Pogi (Ketchup Eusebio) is a tough kid being fed and clothed by a mother working abroad. He is enamored by the virginal beauty of Angel (Luane Dy), the girlfriend of nerdy student Rey (Carlo Aquino). Pogi's gang includes a homeless cellphone snatcher (Empoy Marquez), the feared alleyway punk (Cholo Barreto), the self-supporting yet overweight bum (Hector Macaso) and the neighborhood gay. Their stories intertwine into a messy and violent tale of encapsulated emotions of hatred, vengeance, lust, and wrath. Do not be misled by the rather philosophical title, as the film is hardly philosophical, except for some misplaced narration that somehow tries to hard to make something deep of everything that's happening. The film is much more an excellent study of the microcosm of the alleyways of Manila. We are somehow entreated to the goings-on and the temperaments of the neighborhood bums whose lives seem to revolve around a bottle of gin, oily food, and boisterous talk. Yet despite the fact that the film is probably one of the most interesting features that came from the Philippines these past few years, I wasn't exactly enthralled by the effort. The film shines when the dialogue and the scenes are fluid and almost impromptu but when the scenes are staged, they are almost obviously staged, with the screenplay halting from gritty realism to morning TV children's show or melodrama. The film is also overpopulated with characters that some important characters are left out and when they become the center of the drama, everything becomes dubious and unreal. The screenplay can't simply handle the amount of major characters that the supporting characters seem to be more offputting than actually supporting. For example, the hardworking father of Angel feels too much of a cardboard character study similar to the other father characters in most overly dramatic Filipino film, his presence is more of an eyesore than a guiding light in Bautista's vision. The film is very ambitious. It contains scenes that I never would have expected in post-Martial Law Philippine cinema - sex scenes that refrain from titillation but actually disturb, a violent mugging scene and a lot more. Much more than the pretentious narration that tried too hard to connect the chain of events to the title of the film, I think Sa Aking Pagkakagising Mula sa Kalumatan succeeds more as a stirring portrait of the volatility of the Filipino youth, how facades can easily be broken and retaken by authority and cruel fate, how violence yields violence and its intertwining with unrequited lust - an absolute must-see. I hope this film succeeds as it ushers a new wave of gritty and realistic Philippine cinema, something that would make the late Lino Brocka proud. ***1/2/*****
« Last Edit: May 10, 2005 at 11:58 PM by oggsmoggs »

Offline llanesmark777

• DVD Addict
  • You don't know the power of the dark side.
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2005 at 08:14 PM »
I think this film is great! I hope i can watch  it!  :) Long live indie films! Kill the mainstream!

Offline diamond

• Collector
  • Radix Lecti (Couch Potato)
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Jun 14, 2005 at 09:01 PM »
Ato is my friend. He had to dig hard to get this movie done. I hope I can view it.
Long live!

Offline hellbent_88

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Jan 15, 2007 at 02:16 AM »
Hi Everyone,

Do you know where i can buy a DVD/VCD copy of this film? Is this available at Video City or AstroVision? or in any other video stores?

TIA

Offline riverfan

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Jan 15, 2007 at 06:21 AM »
DVD is in the works c/o Tony Gloria's Unico Entertainment. I saw the trailer of this film featured in the Nasaan Si Francis DVD. Will post screen caps later.  :)
« Last Edit: Jan 15, 2007 at 06:21 AM by riverfan »

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Jan 15, 2007 at 05:36 PM »
Quark is so fond of this film. Its included on his top ten lists. Thanks to hellbent for digging this thread, i'll look for a copy.  ;)
« Last Edit: Jan 15, 2007 at 05:39 PM by keating »

Offline hellbent_88

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Jan 16, 2007 at 12:44 AM »
Quark is so fond of this film. Its included on his top ten lists. Thanks to hellbent for digging this thread, i'll look for a copy.  ;)

If you manage to get yourself a copy kindly let us know where you bought it, I really want a copy of this movie as well. TIA

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Jan 16, 2007 at 07:59 AM »
The dvd is coming soon ist quarter of this year along with KISAPMATA.

Let's wait for it, man.
« Last Edit: Jan 16, 2007 at 11:07 AM by keating »

Offline hellbent_88

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Feb 15, 2007 at 02:20 AM »
The dvd is coming soon ist quarter of this year along with KISAPMATA.

Let's wait for it, man.

Hi guys!!! you have any updates regarding the release of the DVD?

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Feb 15, 2007 at 01:16 PM »
Still on the waiting list, hellbent. Patience is a virtue, so let's just wait.