Author Topic: Mike de Leon  (Read 65205 times)

Offline RMN

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Mike de Leon
« Reply #420 on: Mar 14, 2009 at 12:39 PM »
Sister Stella L. at 25

Thus, with urgency, the University Film Institute of the Philippines and the Vilma Santos
Solid International celebrates the 25th anniversary of Sister Stella
L with a screening in the UP Cine Adarna on March 20, 5pm. The event will also
feature an exhibition of production memorabilias and a forum with the esteemed
cast and crew, including Governor Vilma Santos.

« Last Edit: Mar 14, 2009 at 12:41 PM by RMN »

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #421 on: Mar 15, 2009 at 01:06 PM »
Will Mike de Leon attend the screening?

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm afraid of the quiet man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #422 on: Mar 17, 2009 at 11:00 AM »
Hey, anyone have anything to say about Sister Stella? I got to write something on it, and I could use some input, anything...

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #423 on: Mar 17, 2009 at 11:52 AM »
Hey, anyone have anything to say about Sister Stella? I got to write something on it, and I could use some input, anything...

I have to say that within Mike's oeuvre, Sister Stella L. would have to be his weakest; his least characteristic work. Though technically well-made which is to be expected of him, one is hard-pressed to feel his presence anywhere (in fact I'd go as far and say that he is nowhere to be found) and the result is a film that is wanting in impact and intensity: I somehow have no sympathy for the characters or the cause that they are fighting for. I think the reason is that the supposed abuses that the laborers were experiencing wasn't really clear cut or exposed that overtly and I would have to agree that the factory, a cooking oil plant, could well have been just any other Metro Manila factory. (I would've liked to know,for example,  what is actually happens inside)

Am told however that Sister Stella L. would be a much more different film, a more powerful one, if one were  to see the version with the inclusion of that large rally in the end. That rally, which was staged in Luneta before EDSA 1, had like a million people converging and Mike and his cameramen took live actions shots  of the event on film and this scene is supposed to appear after Vilma's monologue when the screen fades to black. Mother Lily got scared I suppose and had it taken out.

This version was screened in HK in 1985  and according to Teddy Co who was there: "it brought [the] ending to a national context, not just a factory strike". How I would love to see this, put alas the print is in Paris!

Btw Noel, have you seen Signos? Now that to me had real power and intensity.

« Last Edit: Aug 29, 2009 at 11:52 PM by RMN »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #424 on: Mar 17, 2009 at 12:29 PM »
Ah, is that the original ending? Interersting. But this one as it stands reminds me of Lav's Hesus Rebolusyunaryo.

No, I'm afraid not. Hard enough trying to get Mikes' films, but a documentary--!

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #425 on: Mar 17, 2009 at 12:50 PM »
If Signos is the first attempt by Mike to respond to the Aquino assassination, would you say Sister is the first narrative feature by a major studio to do so? Anyone?

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #426 on: Mar 18, 2009 at 08:50 AM »
Which comes first.......KAPIT SA PATALIM: BAYAN KO by Brocka or Mike de Leon's SISTER STELLA L?

Both have been penned by Pete Lacaba, right?

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #427 on: Mar 18, 2009 at 08:54 AM »

The project was originally to be produced by Marichu Maceda of MVP Pictures, same person who greenlighted BATCH 81. But Mother Lily heard the project and loved the L title........ ;D

Who would believe that Vilma never took this film seriously during those times?!

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #428 on: Mar 18, 2009 at 09:03 AM »
If imdb is to be trusted, Kapit is '85, Sister is '84. Good question--for all I know, Pete wrote Kapit first.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #429 on: Mar 18, 2009 at 09:06 AM »
Was it a sort of trilogy for Pete Lacaba, Noel?

The third segment will be Brocka's ORAPRONOBIS? Too bad this film was not release in any theatres until now.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #430 on: Mar 18, 2009 at 10:05 AM »
Orapronobis is the first of the trilogy. The other two were never made into films--I think there was a stage production at one point...

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #431 on: Mar 18, 2009 at 11:48 AM »
It was Mike who was supposed to direct Kapit sa Patalim originally. Am curious to know how the film would've turned out.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #432 on: Mar 18, 2009 at 12:35 PM »
Hi, RMN, just wondering if you would know--what was first, the script? When did Mike come on board. Vilma? Wasn't there financing in 1982, from ECP maybe? Then around '83, 84, it was Mother Liliy, right?

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #433 on: Mar 18, 2009 at 10:04 PM »
Hi, RMN, just wondering if you would know--what was first, the script? When did Mike come on board. Vilma? Wasn't there financing in 1982, from ECP maybe? Then around '83, 84, it was Mother Liliy, right?

Here's the story as far as  I know, though am not familiar with the dates exactly:

Mike was at that time interested in producing a film thru a loan from the ECP.  Upon the advice of Marichu Maceda, (then Film Fund administrator) who suggested that he do a film with Vilma Santos, he  scouted around for possible material when he heard that Pete Lacaba was doing a script about nuns involving themselves in agrarian reform issues. Again, Marichu suggested that to make the film more commercially viable, it would be better to make the setting more urban. (she also felt that Vilma was not exactly fit for a rural milieu--and I agree) So the script was revised, Vilma was cast, and the film was all set to be shot when some folks in the government supposedly objected to film and I think, though am not sure, Mike got threats which led to its shelving. It was then that Mother Lily picked-up the project--from what I understand Mike was looking for someone to buyout Vilma's contract in order to pay his loan--where she told Mike that he had the free-reign to do what he pleased for as long as the casting decisions remained with her. I think she originally pushed for Joel Torre to play Jay Ilagan's role but I think Mike objected saying he was too young.

Also an interesting side note to this story is the dinner that Mike had with Mother Lily, who then on the phone with Vilma.  ;D

« Last Edit: Mar 19, 2009 at 03:04 AM by RMN »

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #434 on: Mar 19, 2009 at 03:08 AM »

Who would believe that Vilma never took this film seriously during those times?!

It's not that she didn't take it seriously, it's just that she couldn't yet grasp at that time the film's message and what it was fighting for. At least, Vilma was honest enough to admit this.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #435 on: Mar 19, 2009 at 09:24 AM »
At one point, its interesting to note that Nora was also considered by Mike for the role of Sister Stella L, but then he had to revise more the script.....but Vilma was already talking with Mother during that dinner with Mike de Leon.

Vilma was quoted saying.......to Mother Lily...... "akin yan, akin yan!"

And Mother Lily after the film came out......."ayoko na gawa justice, justice!"  ;D

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #436 on: Mar 19, 2009 at 12:00 PM »
Thanks, RMN. That ECP production was in '82, and they finally made the film around--oh, late '83 or so. Twenty or so days production, I take it?

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #437 on: Mar 19, 2009 at 12:01 PM »
How exactly did that phone call story go? I remember she threatened Vilma with Nora...

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #438 on: Mar 19, 2009 at 03:56 PM »
There'll be a panel talk tom before the screening so if you've got questions...

Am gonna have Vilma sign my poster! lol.  ;D

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #439 on: Mar 20, 2009 at 08:24 PM »
Mike will get letters from Father Remy, Mother's husband saying we are businessmen not propagandists while making the movie.

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #440 on: Mar 21, 2009 at 12:42 AM »
Mission accomplished! Got my poster autogrphed.  :D

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #442 on: Mar 22, 2009 at 03:42 PM »
Sister Stella L (Mike de Leon, 1984)

Taken (Pierre Morel, 2009)

Noel it seems like you're warming to Sister Stella L
Taken, I like it for what it is, a mindless wall-to-wall post-Bourne action movie.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #443 on: Mar 23, 2009 at 09:16 AM »
It's its 25th anniversary, I thought I'd be kind. It doesn't rock my world, the way other de Leon films do.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #444 on: Mar 23, 2009 at 09:19 AM »
As for Bourne style movies, my problem is that they're everywhere. If you want to be cool, shake your cam. I would love to see more of the uncool, people who shoot things differently. Kitano doesn't use shaky cam, and he's a terrific action director.