Author Topic: Bomba movies of the 1970s and 80s  (Read 224189 times)

Offline RitchieNolasco

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Bomba movies of the 1970s and 80s
« on: Apr 21, 2005 at 04:10 PM »
We all know how hot Scorpio Nights was when it comes to sex. We also know how disturbing it is to see Philip Salvador have sex with Charito Solis in Init.

Could someone please help me with the history of the Bomb Movies era starting in the 1970s? What are the best or most controversial bold movies of the 70s? Who starred, directed, etc?

Salamat.

Offline RitchieNolasco

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
Re: Bomba movies of the 1970s and 80s
« Reply #1 on: Apr 22, 2005 at 10:57 AM »
Calling Noel Vera and other dedicated Pinoy film researchers: any chance you can add to this topic?

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Twitter: @indieboi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: Apr 22, 2005 at 11:52 AM »
The first "bomba" stars were Merle Fernandez (sister of Rudy F), Stella Suarez, and Yvonne. You've also got Divina Valencia. Children who grew up in the 70's would know the ditty "divina valencia, stella suarez, nagbuburles"

I think one of the most controversial bomba films then was the movie made by Merle Fernandez where she was supposed to have walked naked in Escolta. I can't remember the title of that movie though.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm afraid of the quiet man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #3 on: Apr 22, 2005 at 01:02 PM »
I believe that 1970's Merle film was Uhaw. Don't remember if she walked naked through Escolta, tho.

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Apr 22, 2005 at 01:06 PM »
The first "bomba" stars were Merle Fernandez (sister of Rudy F), Stella Suarez, and Yvonne. You've also got Divina Valencia. Children who grew up in the 70's would know the ditty "divina valencia, stella suarez, nagbuburles"

I think one of the most controversial bomba films then was the movie made by Merle Fernandez where she was supposed to have walked naked in Escolta. I can't remember the title of that movie though.

That's UHAW indie boi. If I'll choose among the bunch of bold films during the 70's and 80's my lists are the following.

SCORPIO NIGHTS- still unmatched the Best Local Erotica in Philippine Cinema.
PRIVATE SHOW- has gritty atmosphere and powered by Jacklyn Jose's excellent performance.
BOATMAN- comes close to SCORPIO NIGHTS.
VIRGIN FOREST- three people caught in the turmoil of history when Aguinaldo was assasinated, another period epic from Peque Gallaga.
UNFAITHFUL WIFE- Ana Marie Gutierrez follow up to Peque Gallaga's SCORPIO NIGHTS.
SENSUAL- Marilou Diaz Abaya's entry to the softcore bandwagon release during the Edsa Revolution introducing the obscure Barbara Benitez.
WHITE SLAVERY- Lino Brocka's second entry to softcore bandwagon in mid 80's.

and yes Ritchie is right INIT is hot..... had a rough sailing with the censors in the 70's.
« Last Edit: Apr 22, 2005 at 01:10 PM by keating »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Apr 22, 2005 at 01:15 PM »
Noel will you consider Laurice Guillen's SALOME bold?  ???

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Apr 22, 2005 at 01:56 PM »
Salome had a lot of sex, but no nudity, far as I can remember. Is it a bold film? Not without nudity, i don't think...but it's very erotic.  Likewise, Init sa Magdamag had plenty of sex but no nudity. Again, I can't call it bold, but I do think it erotic.

Offline patupup

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Addict
  • Family Man
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Apr 22, 2005 at 02:13 PM »
That's UHAW indie boi. If I'll choose among the bunch of bold films during the 70's and 80's my lists are the following.

PRIVATE SHOW- has gritty atmosphere and powered by Jacklyn Jose's excellent performance.
VIRGIN FOREST- three people caught in the turmoil of history when Aguinaldo was assasinated, another period epic from Peque Gallaga.
UNFAITHFUL WIFE- Ana Marie Gutierrez follow up to Peque Gallaga's SCORPIO NIGHTS.
SENSUAL- Marilou Diaz Abaya's entry to the softcore bandwagon release during the Edsa Revolution introducing the obscure Barbara Benitez.

and yes Ritchie is right INIT is hot..... had a rough sailing with the censors in the 70's.
any idea guys where i can get DVD/VCD for these classic titles? :)
shuffle up and deal!

Offline renato

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Apr 22, 2005 at 04:49 PM »
Don't forget Celso ad's Virgin People, Perfumed Garden, Nympha, etc. I've only recently become  interested in his work. I even saw a favorable review of Patayin mo sa Sindak Si Barbara in The Encyclopedia of Horror Films. I'm planning to watch Burlesk Queen, Paradise Inn, Pedro Penduko, Payaso and The Peasant next.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Apr 22, 2005 at 05:12 PM »
Don't forget Celso ad's Virgin People, Perfumed Garden, Nympha, etc. I've only recently become  interested in his work. I even saw a favorable review of Patayin mo sa Sindak Si Barbara in The Encyclopedia of Horror Films. I'm planning to watch Burlesk Queen, Paradise Inn, Pedro Penduko, Payaso and The Peasant next.

speaking of PATAYIN MO SA SINDAK SI BARBARA this Celso Ad Castillo flick has been on my wish lists for so long but the availability is my problem.

To add more local erotic flicks:

ISLA- with Ma. Isabel Lopez shown also at the defunct Manila Film Center, also megged by Celso Ad Castillo.
VIRGIN PEOPLE
SNAKE SISTERS

Elwood Perez has an entry also to the softcore bandwagon with Sarsi Emmanuelle & Ma. Isabel Lopez....SILIP;)

And who can forget Tata Esteban's ALAPAAP & HUBO SA DILIM.......... :o

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Apr 22, 2005 at 06:07 PM »
bold films were really rampant in the 80's... there's Celso Ad Castillo's Lihim Ng Kalapati, Tata Esteban's Materyales Fuertes, Boots Plata's Naked Island with Al Tantay & the Softdrink Beauties. also Sarsi Emmanuelle & Rita Gomez in Bomba Queen, Stella Suarez Jr. In Bernal's Gamitin Mo Ako,  the late Stella Strada in probably the only movie where she showed great promise Puri directed by Elwood Perez.

in the 70's there were films such as Danny Cabreira's Uhaw Na Bulaklak Parts 1 & 2, Mainit Na Puso, Malamig Na Kamay with Fred Galang & Alona Alegre, Elwood Perez' Bawal: Asawa Mo, Asawa Ko & Divorce Pinoy Style to name a few...
« Last Edit: Apr 23, 2005 at 03:50 PM by Jojo Devera »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Apr 23, 2005 at 07:51 AM »
Not a lot has been documented on '70s bold movies, mainly because most people don't give them much respect (even comedies and action flicks get more attention). You should do a piece on what you know, Jojo...

Offline RitchieNolasco

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Apr 23, 2005 at 11:06 AM »

Damn! I can't find those titles in VCD or DVDs anywhere! I bought Scorpio Nights VCD some time ago though.

Anyone here knows where to find these movies? My most wanted at the moment is White Slavery of Lino Brocka.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Apr 23, 2005 at 01:31 PM »
White Slavery with Sarsi Emmanuelle? It's not very good... :P

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Apr 23, 2005 at 02:15 PM »
Scorpio Nights is available both on VCD and DVD.  I have it on VCD but I'm thinking of buying the DVD too.  (Is there a noticeable difference in picture quality between the VCD and DVD edition?)

Isla (Ma. Isabelle Lopez, sizzling hot body) and Burlesk Queen are available on VCD.  They are in very poor condition though, but that's better than nothing.

I also have Kirot on VCD, but it's pretty tame (but Stella Estrada is hot).  Is it cut?

Virgin Forest and Unfaithful Wife I think are available on VHS at the Regal Films website (www.regalfilms.com)
« Last Edit: Apr 23, 2005 at 02:23 PM by rse »

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Apr 23, 2005 at 03:56 PM »
Not a lot has been documented on '70s bold movies, mainly because most people don't give them much respect (even comedies and action flicks get more attention). You should do a piece on what you know, Jojo...

it makes me sad when those films from the 70's whatever genre it maybe isn't documented at all. i do enjoy watching movies. it was such a rare treat to have seen Blue Boy, Elwood Perez' very first film. there were also sex comedies such as Mag-Ingat Kapag Biyuda Ang Umibig & Regal's first venture into film production, Kayod Sa Araw, Kayod Sa Gabi (which i fortunately own on vhs.)

maybe i should take your advice Noel and write a piece on what i know about 70's cinema... if only i could find the time.  :)
« Last Edit: Apr 23, 2005 at 03:57 PM by Jojo Devera »

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Apr 23, 2005 at 03:58 PM »
White Slavery with Sarsi Emmanuelle? It's not very good... :P

the film's only saving grace was Jaclyn Jose's performance...

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Apr 23, 2005 at 04:12 PM »
when Regal ventured into film production bold films ushered from nowhere. in a way, Mother Lily's outfit took over what Lyra Ventures started in the mid-70's. Danny Cabreira the auteur behind such classics as Uhaw Na Bulaklak & Mag-Ingat Kapag Biyuda Ang Umibig and Lyra Ventures' resident director went and made movies for Regal. remember Beerhouse & Iwasan Cabaret? it was only in 1977 when two young directors Elwood Perez & Joey Gosiengfiao took over and  spearheaded the making of bold films. as much as i despise some of Mother Lily's desicions, i still believe that the movie industry owes her a debt of gratitude. even her own family ventured into film production. her husband Father Remy Monteverde was the brains behind JPM Productions and her brother Jesse Yu owned Lotus Films.
« Last Edit: Apr 23, 2005 at 04:13 PM by Jojo Devera »

Offline oggsmoggs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Apr 24, 2005 at 01:25 AM »
Scorpio Nights is available both on VCD and DVD.  I have it on VCD but I'm thinking of buying the DVD too.  (Is there a noticeable difference in picture quality between the VCD and DVD edition?)

where is the DVD of Scorpio Nights available, I need to secure myself of a copy.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Apr 24, 2005 at 11:00 AM »
when Regal ventured into film production bold films ushered from nowhere. in a way, Mother Lily's outfit took over what Lyra Ventures started in the mid-70's. Danny Cabreira the auteur behind such classics as Uhaw Na Bulaklak & Mag-Ingat Kapag Biyuda Ang Umibig and Lyra Ventures' resident director went and made movies for Regal. remember Beerhouse & Iwasan Cabaret? it was only in 1977 when two young directors Elwood Perez & Joey Gosiengfiao took over and  spearheaded the making of bold films. as much as i despise some of Mother Lily's desicions, i still believe that the movie industry owes her a debt of gratitude. even her own family ventured into film production. her husband Father Remy Monteverde was the brains behind JPM Productions and her brother Jesse Yu owned Lotus Films.

Remember Jo, the "magic kamison" of Mother Lily used by many Regal Babies in their quest for stardom. It's not really all out bold but I find it sexy and daring matched with those wet look scenes.

Dina wore it in KATORSE even Snooky I think. And in launching sex nymphettes, the late Claudia Zobel comes to my mind.

Man she was hot in Mel Chionglo's SINNER or SAINT. She has depth and can act also in UHAW SA PAG-IBIG. Forget SHAME it's a crap.....!

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Apr 24, 2005 at 12:31 PM »
maybe i should take your advice Noel and write a piece on what i know about 70's cinema... if only i could find the time.  :)

You should. I was looking around, and would you believe, there are no books focusing on Lino Brocka? There's a collection of articles and essays on him, edited by Mario Hernando (who isn't a Brocka fan, anyway), but nothing book-length that analyzes his career.

It's a wide-open field. Just think, film festival programmers, critics, and students will have to look for your articles for decades to come...

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Apr 24, 2005 at 05:10 PM »
Remember Jo, the "magic kamison" of Mother Lily used by many Regal Babies in their quest for stardom. It's not really all out bold but I find it sexy and daring matched with those wet look scenes.

Dina wore it in KATORSE even Snooky I think. And in launching sex nymphettes, the late Claudia Zobel comes to my mind.

Man she was hot in Mel Chionglo's SINNER or SAINT. She has depth and can act also in UHAW SA PAG-IBIG. Forget SHAME it's a crap.....!

of course i do remember Mother Lily's magic kamison. it was first worn by Alma Moreno in the film Hamog but didn't create quite a stir as when Rio Locsin wore it for Disgrasyada. it was only then that the Regal Martriarch thought it would bring luck to whoever wore it... Snooky did it too in Bata Pa Si Sabel.

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Apr 24, 2005 at 05:14 PM »
You should. I was looking around, and would you believe, there are no books focusing on Lino Brocka? There's a collection of articles and essays on him, edited by Mario Hernando (who isn't a Brocka fan, anyway), but nothing book-length that analyzes his career.

It's a wide-open field. Just think, film festival programmers, critics, and students will have to look for your articles for decades to come...

thanks for the vote of confidence Noel... i was also looking for books on Lino Brocka but like you i haven't found any. i read the one by Mario Hernando and you're right it lacks insight about his career. now if only the late Hammy Sotto wrote a book about Brocka...

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Apr 24, 2005 at 06:30 PM »
Sorry OT but I just finished the book on our National Artists lend to me by my officemate and I nearly fall off from my seat when I read that Ishmael Bernal's masterpiece MANILA BY NIGHT was cut 50 times by the censors during its release and not to mention all the bleeps!

What the hell was that!?  >:(
« Last Edit: Apr 24, 2005 at 06:32 PM by keating »

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Apr 24, 2005 at 08:44 PM »
Sorry OT but I just finished the book on our National Artists lend to me by my officemate and I nearly fall off from my seat when I read that Ishmael Bernal's masterpiece MANILA BY NIGHT was cut 50 times by the censors during its release and not to mention all the bleeps!

What the hell was that!?  >:(

i remember watching City After Dark in the theaters during it's run and you could not believe the cuts that were in the movie's BCMP Exhibition Permit... it was two pages long! i remeber reading something like "All dialogue mentioning the word Manila are deleted." it was preposterous! but watching the film in it's entirety years later really gave a much deeper appreaciation of the Bernal masterpiece.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Apr 25, 2005 at 07:52 AM »
i remember watching City After Dark in the theaters during it's run and you could not believe the cuts that were in the movie's BCMP Exhibition Permit... it was two pages long! i remeber reading something like "All dialogue mentioning the word Manila are deleted." it was preposterous! but watching the film in it's entirety years later really gave a much deeper appreaciation of the Bernal masterpiece.

Ishmael Bernal told us during its UNCUT screening at Shangrila Cinema, it was really mangled by the Marcos Regime, "buti nga daw me tinira pa" and he even narrated to us how they manage to smuggled the masterprint of the movie by going to Berlin Film Festival. You can't really understand his points of view if you'll watch it with many cuts as I saw it during its television premiere at channel 2 many years ago.

it's only now that I fully understand his vision same with you Jo. There's no graphic nudity but the profanities caused an uproar opposing Imelda Marcos beautification campaign of MANILA.
« Last Edit: Apr 25, 2005 at 07:56 AM by keating »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Apr 25, 2005 at 01:11 PM »
Keating's impression is spot-on. There's nothing graphic, the soundtrack really dates it, and actually Manila then looks a lot cleaner than Manila now, but the people and their relationships have an intense nastiness and acrimony that you don't get in most lesser films. It's not the physical details, it's the attitude that makes this Manila so memorable.

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Twitter: @indieboi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #27 on: Apr 25, 2005 at 02:35 PM »
It's not the physical details, it's the attitude that makes this Manila so memorable.

Exactly. And that's what the Censors were trying to cut -- its attitude, its atmosphere. How in hell can you physically cut that in a film? Just goes to show you how stupid the censors  and the "moral vanguards" are.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Apr 25, 2005 at 04:44 PM »
Keating's impression is spot-on. There's nothing graphic, the soundtrack really dates it, and actually Manila then looks a lot cleaner than Manila now, but the people and their relationships have an intense nastiness and acrimony that you don't get in most lesser films. It's not the physical details, it's the attitude that makes this Manila so memorable.

Thanks, Noel.

And oh, the characters in that Bernal masterpiece......the prostitute pretending to be a nurse, the blind masseuse, the drug addict, the lesbian, the homosexual, the waitresse, the taxi driver are all memorable, unforgettable and explode in this flick.

And hey the movie was production designed by Peque Gallaga.

Offline milkeemee2

• Collector
  • do you want my milk?
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Apr 25, 2005 at 04:48 PM »
Let us not forget also Robbie Tan whose Seiko Films churned out many bold movies in the 80's.  He was responsible for the success ( and eventual demise?) of Stella Strada whose sexiness, IMHO, nobody can surpass even up to this day.  I can think of Kirot, Init and Puri as the more popular Stella movies.  Anna Marie Guttierez also made her mark not only in the sizzling Skorpio Nights and Unfaithful Wife but  in the sexy dramatic movies Di Maghilom ang Sugat  and Takaw-Tukso. Takaw-Tukso remains one of my favorites because it starred  Anna Marie and the divine Jacklyn Jose and they really acted well. The bold genre produced so many hot stars who can act- Cristina Crisol, Maureen Mauricio, Ma. Isabel Lopez, Rowena Ruiz, Sarsi Emmanuel, Pepsi Paloma, and even Lala Montelibano. The bold genre was ushered by the ECP , a brainchild of  Imee Marcos.  It was also, IMO, a way to appease the masses whose discontent with the Marcos regime had been growing at an alarming speed.  I remember the movie Turuang Apoy (Eddie Garcia, Daniel  Fernando, Frtiz Ynfante, Lyka Ugarte, etc) which was shown in commercial  theaters with all the nudity  and acts of perversion  because the film is anti-communist! I also recall that  I was watching  Senswal ( Barbara Benitez, Hero Bautista, directed by : Marilou Diaz  Abaya  on the first day of EDSA 1.  When Cory assumed the presidency, all hell broke loose in the movie industry what with the very progressive Armida S. Reyna heading the MTRCB. Bold movies  were selling like hot cakes and independent producers had their heydays.  Producers of  Arrayy, Tag-Init Nagpuputik ang Langit, Tonting and His Hidden Wealth were  so happy with the profits they were getting.  But as they say, good things never last. The doom of the bold genre started with the showing of the now cult-classic  Sabik (George Estregan, Joy Sumilang, Gino Antonio), which showed penetration.  It was followed by Materiales Fuertes ( Mark Joseph, Myrna Castillo, directed by Tata Esteban) which also featured the lead stars in various stages of copulation.  So many others followed suit and the civil society roared in disapproval. And to arrest this penetration explosion, whom you gonna call? Manoling Morato.  The swashbuckling hero cut the bold movies' ugly head and veered the  movie industry away  from the road to perdition to the artistic road of helming massacre movies.