Author Topic: speaker stands  (Read 49656 times)

Offline MeowPao

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re:speaker stands
« Reply #30 on: Aug 19, 2002 at 05:16 PM »
Hi Tuff,

just got a pair of B&W dm303 speakers. i'm considering mounting them to a metal hanger (bolted to ceiling frame, of course) instead of the standard stand mounts to keep my kids from hitting/playing around with them. any of you guys know

where i can find such mounts? is this a good idea in the first place? will this cause more sound distortion?

thanks!

Go to Handyman or SM Workshop, and look for the 'Perfect View' display. I'm not quite sure with the name, pero its got a 'view' in the end. Just ask the people there and tell them about the stuff they use to hang TVs or Speakers on the wall. The nice thing about the hangers is that some models do not need you to screw holes directly into your speakers. :)

Offline levi

• Konsehal
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Sevilla and Sons Sausages
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: Aug 19, 2002 at 08:51 PM »
just got a pair of B&W dm303 speakers. i'm considering mounting them to a metal hanger (bolted to ceiling frame, of course) instead of the standard stand mounts to keep my kids from hitting/playing around with them. any of you guys know

where i can find such mounts? is this a good idea in the first place? will this cause more sound distortion?

thanks!

Aside from ACE and True Value, I saw a store of Perfect View along Timog Ave beside GMA 7. It is across Lydias Lechon.

Levi

Offline alfa

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: Aug 19, 2002 at 08:59 PM »
PLease post Jun reyes' contact numbers and e-mail

Offline tuff_u_gong

• DVD Addict
  • emancipate yourselves from mental slavery!
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: Aug 21, 2002 at 11:26 AM »
thanks alfa, levi and meowpao!

just a follow up: what do you guys suggest? glue or screw mounting. parang nakakahinayang butasan yung dm303. on the other hand if i use a powerful glue, i might not have the flexibility of removing them from the mounts if, in the future, i decide to install the speakers elsewhere.

thanks again!

Offline pioneer

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: Aug 22, 2002 at 06:36 AM »
PLease post Jun reyes' contact numbers and e-mail

Jun Reyes' cell number is 0916-3141706.  He is THE MAN !!! ;D
Kentobiminekekwek !!!

Offline tuff_u_gong

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: Aug 23, 2002 at 04:19 PM »
thanks alfa and pioneer!

i called Jun Reyes and i find him very friendly and accommodating. the first thing he asked me was to get some measurements before i visit him. based on pictures posted by another member mukhang quality is not a question kay JGR.

haven't talked to him about prices though. to be honest, since my front\main speakers cost me less than $200, anything more than $50 is a little too steep for me. kung aabot ng $100 lalung malupit, halos bumili na din ako ng disenteng floorstanders-bakit pa ako nag-bookshelf?

thanks again guys!

Offline sgc_wdi

• DVD Guru
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
speaker stands
« Reply #36 on: Oct 02, 2002 at 10:10 PM »
would anyone know where I can get speaker stands for my Boss Accoustimass speakers? I recently read from someplace that it's better for speakers to be 1-2 feet above your ear level when seated, and my speakers are basically wall mounted at the very top of our room....

would gladly know where to get these stands, and for how much. thanks.

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: Oct 03, 2002 at 07:40 AM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't accoustimass speakers supposed to be really placed high up? Aren't they too small for speaker stands?

Offline sgc_wdi

• DVD Guru
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: Oct 03, 2002 at 08:48 AM »
I think accoustimass speakers can either be wall mounted or with stands, I've seen these stands on the internet, at boss' website... I've read sounds are better produced when these speakers are just about 1-2 feet above ear level when seated... but I'm not sure where I can get one here, or at least similar stands that are compatible with these speakers...

Offline cabletekkie

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #39 on: Oct 03, 2002 at 01:46 PM »

have you tried the local Bose shops?  

i would assume you're using the the brackets? puede wall mount and ceiling mount...these are fully adjustable naman to suit how you want the speaker gets directed towards your listening position...

i got my stands and brackets from the states, but i saw them locally available like in sm city north edsa and megamall, also check out the one in powerplant (rockwell). i guess these things are being sold in those shops... either the short table top stands or the floor standers.

im not using my floorstanders, btw...'yaan mo i might get tempted to sell it  ;)

but just a personal thought... there seems to be no difference naman between using the brackets and the floor standers! well, thats as far as im concerned.

...i switched to brackets kasi when i needed the space. i have a very compact room (maybe thas why i cant see any difference hehehe)  :)

Offline sgc_wdi

• DVD Guru
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: Oct 04, 2002 at 10:23 PM »
ic thanks... well I actually have these speakers at the very top of the room, but it's pointed towards me... anyway, I think the surround speakers can stay there, but the front speakers should be somewhere near the center speaker, not as far as the surround speakers as I've read from someplace... so in that case I might need to floorstands for both ront speakers...

Offline levi

• Konsehal
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Sevilla and Sons Sausages
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: Oct 05, 2002 at 12:24 AM »
bump for sgc_wdi

Offline bonjit

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: Oct 09, 2002 at 07:51 PM »
Hi guys!

Just bought a pair of original B&W speaker stands for about $420 Aussie dollars, that's 28 pesos to 1 Aussie dollar. I don't know if it's cheaper there in Manila or here in Sydney. I'm not totally impressed with the stands. I was supposed to use it with my 602's but I found out they are not as stable as my Soundstyle stands so I decided on using it with my SS-86e sony speakers in my bedroom. It's okay if you're going to use it with small speakers but with bigger speakers it's a nono. Would you believe the speaker stands are made in Italy not England. I'm just happier with my Soundstyle stands, they're much more stable because of the four posts compared to the B&W's which only has two. Just a little bit of a feedback if you guys want to buy a pair of B&W stands yourself.

Bonjit of Sydney  
« Last Edit: Oct 09, 2002 at 07:55 PM by bonjit »

Offline iceman90a

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Guru
  • picture this!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: Oct 27, 2002 at 03:54 PM »
hi, does anybody have an opinion on using marble / concrete columns as speaker stands?

are there any negative effects?
money is best spent

Offline ariel

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: Oct 28, 2002 at 09:16 AM »
hi, does anybody have an opinion on using marble / concrete columns as speaker stands?

i am using marble stands for my speakers and  there is a big improvement both sonically and aesthetically. at first, my objective is just to have a better looking stand but after using it, the difference is there. the stand i have is 27" including spikes and hollow at the collumn filled with sand. i will never use metal stands again.

Offline jojitb

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: Oct 30, 2002 at 02:44 PM »
hi ariel!
di ko yata nakita iyung marble stand mo nung pumunta ako sa inyo, bago ba iyun?  Saan mo nakuha?

Offline ariel

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: Oct 30, 2002 at 02:53 PM »
hi ariel!
di ko yata nakita iyung marble stand mo nung pumunta ako sa inyo, bago ba iyun?  Saan mo nakuha?

HI jojit,
last week ko lang nakuha yung stand. ipinagawa ko sa shop near  manila memorial -  yung marble works.

Offline iceman90a

• DVD Guru
  • picture this!!
  • Liked:
Re:marble speaker stands
« Reply #47 on: Oct 30, 2002 at 04:32 PM »
can you please post or pm me the price for the stands?

thanks
money is best spent

Offline ariel

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: Oct 30, 2002 at 05:09 PM »
iceman90a sent you a pm.

Offline jojitb

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: Nov 02, 2002 at 11:36 AM »
hi ariel!

HI jojit,
last week ko lang nakuha yung stand. ipinagawa ko sa shop near  manila memorial -  yung marble works.

mukhang maganda iyan ah. can you post pics for us?

Offline Jermi

• Collector
  • I'm a llamat!
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: Nov 03, 2002 at 02:37 PM »

thanks!

tuff...

What did you end up doing?  Coz I also have kids and have B&W 601 s3 and have them atop lovan stands.  I have to perenially put them on top of my entertainment stand in fear of my 1 or 2 year shoving them off the stand...

Offline bunkieboy

• DVD Guru
  • WHAT'S YOUR DYSFUNCTION?
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: Nov 03, 2002 at 09:38 PM »

thanks!

tuff...

What did you end up doing?  Coz I also have kids and have B&W 601 s3 and have them atop lovan stands.  I have to perenially put them on top of my entertainment stand in fear of my 1 or 2 year shoving them off the stand...

if you end up mounting your speakers, let me know if you plan to get rid of your stands  ;)

Offline ariel

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: Nov 04, 2002 at 09:02 AM »

sorry i don't have a dig. camera so i cannot post the pic. at the moment. kumusta na yung set-up mo?

Offline jojitb

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: Nov 04, 2002 at 08:05 PM »

sorry i don't have a dig. camera so i cannot post the pic. at the moment. kumusta na yung set-up mo?

sayang :( maybe when you get to borrow one or get an ordinary picture scanned.  Interesting makita iyung stands mo. Di ba nakkatakot na matumba? Medyo masakit yatang madaganan ka nun hehehehe

About my setup, the Onkyo is performing very well, as it should :)  I bought a mission 5 pc set from Rene and it has been outstanding! A very nice combination...  

Offline tuff_u_gong

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: Nov 05, 2002 at 11:53 AM »

thanks!

tuff...

hi jermi!

sorry i just saw your reply...couldn't get a connection over the 4-day break.

i searched for about 1 and 1/2 months and i couldn't find any that would meet the following criteria:

- won't damage the speakers (no holes)
- securely bolted to the ceiling
- won't block the woofer, tweeter
- moveable attachment with multiple-angle options
- affordable

anyway, here are some links that you might find useful:

http://www.atmflyware.com
http://www.allenproducts.com/speaker_mounts.htm

my 303s are now wall mounted to serve as rears. my new fronts (602s3s) are still on locally made standmounts. if i find the right system, i'm still open to hanging my front and center speakers. i'll keep you posted, just in case.

Offline ariel

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: Nov 05, 2002 at 03:20 PM »
sayang  maybe when you get to borrow one or get an ordinary picture scanned.  Interesting makita iyung stands mo. Di ba nakkatakot na matumba? Medyo masakit yatang madaganan ka nun hehehehe

About my setup, the Onkyo is performing very well, as it should   I bought a mission 5 pc set from Rene and it has been outstanding! A very nice combination...  

hindi naman basta matutumba and stand depende sa design. just make sure na and base ay mas malaki at mabigat. yun nga lang kung sakaling matumbahan ka sa paa, patay ang kuko mo!

Offline Mo®pHeOu$

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • GO GREEN: LET'S DO OUR SHARE IN SAVING OUR PLANET
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: Nov 11, 2002 at 06:42 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D

saw a few of them speaker stands sa western festival mall.  adjustable ang height and the size of the base support of the speaker can be adjusted to the size of your speaker.  so pedeng maliit at malaki.  

FYI lang po. ;)

Offline Courage

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #57 on: Nov 13, 2002 at 11:06 AM »
Morph,

How much yung stand?
Walang Setup

Offline iceman90a

• DVD Guru
  • picture this!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: Nov 13, 2002 at 11:18 AM »
;D ;D ;D

saw a few of them speaker stands sa western festival mall.  adjustable ang height and the size of the base support of the speaker can be adjusted to the size of your speaker.  so pedeng maliit at malaki.  

FYI lang po. ;)

i'm not sure if we are talking about the same stands - but i saw them also in western Festival mall: it looked like they were more suited to the HTIB speakers as the width of the base do not look to reach more than 6"

the height is adjustable via screwing the nut between the sliding poles (similar to a mike stand)

they were selling for less than 1,300 per pair i think
money is best spent

Offline mojako

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: Feb 24, 2003 at 07:04 AM »
Do speaker stands affect the sound quality of the speaker? Read in various forums that they do.  Comments nyo dito people?  Wood/MDF or iron?