Author Topic: The Nora Aunor Thread  (Read 266689 times)

Offline RMN

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re:The Nora Aunor Thread
« Reply #120 on: Jan 09, 2003 at 01:13 PM »
I don't think I can send it to you at the moment since the book isn't mine.
But have you read Golden Girl by Nick Joaquin?
« Last Edit: Jan 11, 2003 at 06:49 PM by rmn »

Offline pinoymovies

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #121 on: Jan 13, 2003 at 01:56 AM »
mn, I thought maybe you could photo copy just the article about Nora. :)  No, I have not read Joaquin book. I will look for it online. Thanks.

For more 'familiarization' with Nora Aunor, here's a topic we haven't touch on, Nora and her TV shows. I couldn't find detailed info about her TV shows so I put together the following based on several articles. Any incorrect info or if you have a more detailed info, please let me know.

Nora's early TV guest apperances were on An Evening with Pilita and Carmen on Camera. Her first TV program was Oras ng Ligaya. In 1971, she signed a contract with KBS (Channel 9) for two TV programs, Nora-Eddie Show and Nora Cinderella. The Nora-Eddie show, that's Eddie Peregrina by the way, later became her very own show, Superstar, which lasted for 22 uninterrupted years on TV.  It was a variety show which showcases Nora singing and dancing, mostly singing with German Moreno helping as co-host.

Nora Cinderella, was a drama anthology, that later on was called Ang Makulay na Daigdig Ni Nora. I don't remember much of this show except two stand out episodes. The first one, an adaptation of The Miracle Worker  that was made into a movie called Paru-parung Itim and the second, also another adaptation of My Fair Lady, Nora with Tommy Abuel. According to an Ishmael Bernal article, Bernal won a Best Director award from PATAS for this show during its 1979 season and Maryo de los Reyes also list this show among his early credits. Nora's prime was before the internet generation, so there's no websites with episode listings of the show.

Currently, you can watch Nora on TV at  ABS-CBN's Bituin. I've been doing updates of Bituin at my Nora Aunor tribute website. Here's the url:  http://www.geocities.com/pinoymovies/Bituinindex.html

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #122 on: Jan 13, 2003 at 09:58 AM »
The Nick Joaquin article  is probably just as hard to find as the first one. But this I can photocopy for you. :)

Offline pinoymovies

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #123 on: Jan 19, 2003 at 06:50 AM »
I posted some pictures I received from a fan at my Nora website. Its a picture of Nora and would you believe it, Michael Jackson! Before he made all the changes in his appearance. :) Check out the photo section for the pics and the article section for an article about Nora's concert in 1991.

http://www.geocities.com/pinoymovies/noraaunor.html

Offline aklan4ever

• Apprentice
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #124 on: Jan 20, 2003 at 11:10 AM »
Nora and Michael Jackson!  :o

Thanks for that. Now, could you please post a photo of Nora and Don Johnson from the Lollipops and Roses movie.

Offline vacuumtubes

• DVD Guru
  • Smile!
  • Liked:
« Reply #125 on: Jan 22, 2003 at 01:37 PM »
totoo kaya ito?
Hindi naman siguro pirated magazine kaya?

Akala ko tuloy

ALLAN K. MEETS NORMAN MITCHELL

Kidding!  ;D
« Last Edit: Jan 24, 2003 at 09:27 AM by vacuumtubes »

Offline pinoymovies

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #126 on: Jan 23, 2003 at 10:38 PM »
vacuumtubes, the picture is from Geocities free website that's why the image does not appear at your post. Alam mo na kailangan nilang mag advertise so here's the direct url to the picture:

http://www.geocities.com/pinoymovies/kislap.html

Totoo naman siguro because Michael Jackson did not hit the big time until 1979 when he release his Off the Wall album and of course, Thriller in 1982. In the '70's, the Michael Jackson I remember is from Jackson 5 and the hit song 'Ben'.

Aklan4ver, I will post the Nora - Don Johnson picture kapag may fan na magpadala.

Offline vacuumtubes

• DVD Guru
  • Smile!
  • Liked:
« Reply #127 on: Jan 24, 2003 at 09:29 AM »
pinoymovies

thanx a lot!!!

Offline pinoymovies

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #128 on: Jan 26, 2003 at 04:42 AM »
I found an article about the Araneta Coliseum and it listed the Jackson Five performing there in 1976.  Nora was  probably there to watch the Jackson Five concert and got the chance to meet Michael Jackson. I wish someone would send me a copy of that Kislap magazine or even just the cover story article about Nora and Michael's meeting.

Offline pinoymovies

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #129 on: Feb 03, 2003 at 02:53 AM »
Here's a transcript of 1991 Tribute to Philippine Movie Queens for Nora Aunor.

Nora Aunor
Isang Pagkilala sa Dakilang Bituin ng Pelikulang Pilipino.

Ang igorata sa alamat ng Banaue, ang bilanggong nagdadalantao sa Bulaklak ng City Jail, ang NPA na nawalay sa kadugo sa Andrea. Ilan lamang sa iba't ibang Nora Aunor na habang buhay ng nakaukit sa ating puso't isipan. Mahirap maisip na isang morenang probinsiyana na tindera lamang ng tubig sa tren ang bubuwag sa tradisyon ng mestisang aktres sa pinilakang tabing. Phenomenal nga ang pagsikat ni Nora sa kanyang mundong patuloy na lumawak. Sa recording, ang Pearly Shells ay tinuturing na isa sa all-time chartbusters sa local recording. Sa telebisyon, ang Superstar ay hinirang na longest running musical of all time. Sa ibang bansa, ipinagbunyi ang Himala sa Berlin at ang Bona sa Cannes. Maraming bituin pero iisa lamang ang Superstar, Nora Aunor

- Edu Manzano during the 1991 Star Awards Tribute to Philippine Movie Queens.  

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #130 on: Feb 03, 2003 at 03:50 PM »
what about Nora as a endorser? It seems she hasn't done to many tv commercials(the last I can recall being her Barangay Ginebra ad).

Offline pinoymovies

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #131 on: Feb 04, 2003 at 12:42 PM »
rmn, I just happen to have an article that talks about her TV commercials. Nora, during her prime, was a very popular endorser. According to this article that came out in 1992, Nora has done 11 TV commercials:

Coke

Kleenex

Dial Soap

Phillips Radio

Colgate Toothpaste

Modess Napkin

Liberty Milk

Nivico TV

Spartan

Pepsi

and Security Bank

By the way, to those who have given up on Nora's Bituin, it's time to come back. The story is heating up with the rivalry between Melody and Bernadette. Check out the photo updates here:

http://www.geocities.com/pinoymovies/Bituinindex.html
« Last Edit: Feb 08, 2003 at 12:06 AM by pinoymovies »

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #132 on: Feb 04, 2003 at 07:24 PM »
Its unfortunate then that she is no longer a popular endorser.

Offline kakabanas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • What the - - -  ?!
  • Liked:
« Reply #133 on: Feb 05, 2003 at 07:46 AM »
Just watched Atsay ... yeah she's good.

Off topic : Director Eddie Garcia showed some promise, I can't believe he didn't take it seriously.

Offline pinoymovies

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #134 on: Feb 06, 2003 at 11:23 PM »
kakabanas, could you please post a synopsis of Atsay? I have not seen the movie since it came out in 1978 during the Metro Manila filmfest.

Nora's victory over her rival Vilma Santos (Rubia Servios) during the filmfest was one of her many memorable triumphs throughout her career in my opinion. This subject came up again recently from an article about the latest filmfest controversy. Apparently several psychics at Inday Badiday's TV show at that time predicted Vilma will win Best Performer, so when Nora won, she said, "Mali ang hula nila".  ;D

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm afraid of the quiet man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #135 on: Feb 07, 2003 at 01:13 AM »
Not a big fan of Atsay, but yes, Nora is very good in it.

Caught the last part of Kastilyong Buhangin again.   Did I say it's Lito's movie but Nora's good in it?  Maybe not...

I remember the part where Nora confronts the girl and her father...the way she goes out invincinble in her faith in Lito, and how that faith is pulled down, one rampart at a time, by the girl's simple statements.  It's a terrible thing to see your faith in someone collapse so completely, and Nora suggest this without a word of dialogue--she's just listening to what the girl has to say.

Then the bitter confrontation with Lito.  Lito knows what's going to happen if he goes down.  Nora doesn't care; she trusted him, and he threw that trust in her face, just like that.  Lito knows Nora won't listen.  All he has to do is not go down.  But her anger hurts; he knows she's in the right.  Maybe something in Lito snapped, or maybe something in him got tired and gave up, or maybe the both of them agreed, again without saying a word about it, that maybe he should just walk out of her life forever.  

So he does.  And she realizes what he did--what he did because of what SHE did--and she runs down after him.  But it's too late; when the man tosses Lito a knife, it's almost a resigned gesture, as if to say "you were going to use this, sooner or later..."

And later, in prison: he's so carefree, so happy.  He's home, with friends, with people he is comfortable with, with people he loves, not as someone beyond him, the way Nora was, but as his equals.  He doesn't have to strain, to be better than he is, to love them, the way he does to love Nora.

And that fight scene in the men's shower--fantastically choreographed, bloody, brutal.  The sudden inserts of slow motion are worthy of Peckinpah, and so well timed, you wince as if the knife was going into your own side.  All to the tenderly, almost mournfully, played strains of the title song...

And afterwards: Nora sitting in that studio, suddenly looking up and saying "I'm free."  The terrible judgement she passes on Lito, and her love for Lito, on herself for having loved and cared for Lito all along.  All that you feel through her eyes, and you feel that she knows all that, yet she can't reject it, she can't push it away, because it's the truth.  And the life-changing enormity of the realization washes over her, like a wave over a man at the beach.  

The simplicity, the truth of the feelings in that movie goes beyond expert psychology; it's knowing how humans feel and want and dream.  It's total empathy.  Melodrama is melodrama because there's something false and forced to the dialogue or emotions in a movie; when the movie feels as right and true as this one, it isn't melodrama anymore, it's art.

What a wonderful wonderful film, an intensely sad love story and a harrowing action flick--as if George Cukor had collaborated with Ringo Lam, or as if A Star is Born were intercut with Prison on Fire.  Incredible.

Offline kakabanas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • What the - - -  ?!
  • Liked:
« Reply #136 on: Feb 08, 2003 at 09:31 AM »
kakabanas, could you please post a synopsis of Atsay? I have not seen the movie since it came out in 1978 during the Metro Manila filmfest.

Nora's victory over her rival Vilma Santos (Rubia Servios) during the filmfest was one of her many memorable triumphs throughout her career in my opinion. This subject came up again recently from an article about the latest filmfest controversy. Apparently several psychics at Inday Badiday's TV show at that time predicted Vilma will win Best Performer, so when Nora won, she said, "Mali ang hula nila".  ;D

In short, Atsay is the typical story of a provincial lass who went to the city to when her father died to seek greener pasture (ala Ligaya in Maynila Sa Kuko Ng Liwanag) but  ended up working as a maid being abused by her bosses ... until she met a guy ... and they lived happily ever after. Not the type that would make it a classic ... but nicely done nonetheless.

Comics material .. could be done as an episode of Bituin.

Offline pinoymovies

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #137 on: Feb 10, 2003 at 01:16 AM »
Thanks kakabanas. I was reading a review of Vilma Santos' Coed and there's a comparison of miscarriage scenes from Coed and Atsay. The reviewer was praising Eddie Garcia's Atsay because all he did to denote a miscarriage was to put a tiny pool of blood on the floor while Borlaza's Coed was more bloody.

I'm just trying to recall the story of Atsay and place that scene. I'm guessing that Nora was molested by her employer, got pregnant and had a miscarriage. Eddie Garcia and Armida Sigueon Reyna played her amo, di ba? I know Ronald Corveau from the then popular soap Gulong ng Palad played her leading man.

Offline kakabanas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • What the - - -  ?!
  • Liked:
« Reply #138 on: Feb 11, 2003 at 03:32 AM »
Thanks kakabanas. I was reading a review of Vilma Santos' Coed and there's a comparison of miscarriage scenes from Coed and Atsay. The reviewer was praising Eddie Garcia's Atsay because all he did to denote a miscarriage was to put a tiny pool of blood on the floor while Borlaza's Coed was more bloody.

I'm just trying to recall the story of Atsay and place that scene. I'm guessing that Nora was molested by her employer, got pregnant and had a miscarriage. Eddie Garcia and Armida Sigueon Reyna played her amo, di ba? I know Ronald Corveau from the then popular soap Gulong ng Palad played her leading man.

I didn't check the credits but I'm 101% sure it was not Eddie Garcia. If I remember the name right, it's Renato Robles .. I will check the tape this weekend and confirm it. He's Armida's husband ... who developed a liking to her since his wife would rather kiss the dog. He'd go home during lunch breaks to be close to her .. and one day bought her a nice necklace ... then rape her. She got pregnant, Armida suspected something and one night caught the two of them talking about the pregnancy in her room. She got mad of course and started kicking her.... and that's when the camera showed some blood on the floor.

Offline pinoymovies

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #139 on: Feb 13, 2003 at 11:10 PM »
Thanks kakabanas. So there's one thing common from the films of Nora and Vilma that 1978 filmfest. Nora in Atsay and Vilma in Rubia Servios are both rape victims. I have to see these movies again.

Offline pinoymovies

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #140 on: Feb 17, 2003 at 01:52 AM »

Himala starring Nora Aunor will be screened during the exhibit, according to Malaya Sunday Magazine online.

The greatest female Filipino stars will headline "Babae Ngayon at Kailanman" with films starring Gloria Romero ("Dalagang Ilocana"), Charito Solis ("Kundiman ng Lahi"), Nida Blanca ("Waray-Waray"), Vilma Santos ("Sister Stella L"), and Nora Aunor ("Himala"). The Carmen Rosales melodrama "Maalaala Mo Kaya" (1954) with Rogelio de la Rosa and Dolphy was screened last Friday as pre-exhibit treat. Rosa Rosal, another great actress, stars in "Biyaya ng Lupa."

For more info, here's url:

http://www.malaya.com.ph/sunmagz/feb16/index.htm

Offline pinoymovies

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #141 on: Feb 23, 2003 at 12:31 AM »
During Nora Aunor's appearance at Game Ka Na Ba on Friday, Feb 21, she mentioned that BITUIN will end its run in April. Kris Aquino urged all Bituin fans to email or text ABS-CBN and demand an extension for the show.

I wouldn't mind if it ended now as long as Star Cinema or any other movie production would give Nora Aunor a big movie project this year. :)

By the way, as reported in the Cinema Paraiso thread, Himala will be shown on March 7 and Ikaw ay Akin on March 20.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #142 on: Feb 23, 2003 at 01:40 AM »
Pinoy, have you seen Kastilyong Buhangin?  It was showing last Friday at 5.30 in the morning.  I actually ended up sitting down and watching it again.  Nora keeps looking better and better; I almost regret saying it's more Lito's film in my article.

Sorry I forgot to post this here earlier.  I'll try check the Sky Guide for March (that's not a promise, tho...looks like I'm going to be very busy)....

Offline keng001

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #143 on: Feb 23, 2003 at 10:43 AM »
By the way, as reported in the Cinema Paraiso thread, Himala will be shown on March 7 and Ikaw ay Akin on March 20.

I remember reading a review of Ikaw ay Akin back then and the reviewer was comparing Nora and Vilma. The conclusion was this...kahit ilang beses pang pag-pilipit at kagat ng mga labi ni Ate Vi hindi nito kayang ilabas ang mga emosyon na nakikita sa mga mata ni Ate Guy.

In fairness to Vilma Santos, that was 1978, she got better by the 1980's.

Offline pinoymovies

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #144 on: Mar 03, 2003 at 03:57 AM »
Pinoy, have you seen Kastilyong Buhangin?  

I've seen it when it first came out. I can still remember the promo they did at 'Eat Bulaga".  They would play a scene from the movie and the contestants would re-enact the scene.

Unfortunately, I don't have Cinema One; have to pay off a couple more credit cards and then I can fit a TFC Direct in my budget.   :)

I was going to include an excerpt of Isagani Cruz' review of Kastilyong Buhangin but he called it a failure so here's some nice words about Nora in Bona:

"In Lino Brocka's Bona (1980), the final sequence is a masterpiece. Nora Aunor, finally coming to her senses, takes a pot of boiling water and scalds (by implication, blinds, maybe even kills) her erstwhile idol Phillip Salvador. Brocka uses slow motion, in order to capture all the nuances of Aunor's face as she explodes in a mixture of rage, frustration and hate. By stopping the action every so often during the sequence, Brocka manages to get the audience also to feel Aunor's anger. The revenge comes even more sweetly because throughout the film, water has been used to oppress Aunor. Once the person forced to fetch water for Salvador and to bathe him even, Aunor now becomes a dark avenger. It is a powerful sequence, one of Brocka's best."
« Last Edit: Mar 03, 2003 at 04:12 AM by pinoymovies »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #145 on: Mar 03, 2003 at 11:55 PM »
Oh I think I've written enough about Kastilyong Buhangin to make up for Cruz's verbal fumblings...

Offline pinoymovies

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #146 on: Mar 13, 2003 at 02:31 PM »
Nora Aunor gears up
for 50th birthday
Posted: 11:30 PM (Manila Time) | Mar. 07, 2003
By Nestor U. Torre
Inquirer News Service

UNLIKE many stars who don't admit to their real age and remain a perennial, petrified 29, Nora Aunor proudly declares that she's turning 50 this May.

She's marking the special occasion with a big birthday concert titled "Gold,'' an event that all Noranians should witness and be a part of.

In addition, Nora will be starring in the stage musical version of her celebrated film, "Himala,'' at the CCP later this year.

Nora's golden year is turning out to be a very good season for the country's Superstar. A couple of years ago, some people believed that her career could no longer be made to flourish, but ABS-CBN tapped her to topbill its new soap, "Bituin,'' which refuted the doomsayers' dire predictions by becoming the most popular teleserye on television.

In fact, the weeknight drama series is rating so well that it was first extended to May, and now to July. That'll have to be as far as it can go, because Nora's other commitments for the rest of the year preclude more extensions.

What about the movies? When we talked to her recently, Nora said she was raring to do another film, but it should cast her in a role that will further challenge her as an actress.

That's a tall order, since the Superstar has already played some of the most memorable female characters in Filipino movies, and has been directed by some of the most demanding film directors.

We asked Nora to look back on her film career and cite some of the most memorable roles she has essayed since she started acting in 1967. Her fondest recollections:

Her role as a mentally-disturbed girl in VP Pictures' "Maala-ala Mo Kaya,'' directed by Danny Holmsen.

"Tatlong Taong Walang Diyos'' with Christopher de Leon and Bembol Roco, directed by Mario O'Hara.

"Atsay,'' directed by Eddie Garcia.

"Ina Ka ng Anak Mo'' with Lolita Rodriguez, directed by Lino Brocka.

"Bona'' with Phillip Salvador, another Brocka film.

"Himala,'' directed by Ishmael Bernal.

"Bilangin ang Bituin sa Langit'' with Tirso Cruz III and Miguel Rodriguez, directed by Elwood Perez.

"Ang Totoong Buhay ni Pacita M.'' with Lotlot de Leon, another film by Elwood Perez.

"The Flor Contemplacion Story,'' directed by Joel Lamangan.

Despite these and other achievements, and the view of some people that Nora has lost her creative spark, we feel she still has more great performances in her.

Nora herself is raring to sink her teeth into a good and challenging film project this year, to further stretch her thespic muscles. No easy roles for her, thanks.

This will surprise people who think that Nora has become lazy. Well, the Superstar has periodically surprised people through the years, so why should she stop now? People who understand her know that Nora Aunor is full of surprises!

Source:  http://www.inq7.net/ent/2003/mar/08/ent_1-1.htm

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #147 on: Mar 14, 2003 at 10:01 PM »
No mention of Condemned?  Bakit Bughaw ang Langit?  Bulaklak ng City Jail?  Kastilyong Buhangin?  Hm.

The role of her life is there, waiting for her--Mario O'Hara's script of La Loba Negra, now titled "Hocloban."  Will someone please tell her...?

Offline pinoymovies

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #148 on: Mar 27, 2003 at 05:48 PM »
No mention of Fe, Esperanza, Caridad either. The Caridad episode directed by Gerry de Leon where she played the role of the nun being tempted by the devil played by Ronaldo Valdez was one of her early roles that received good notices from the critics.

Noel, regarding HOCLOBAN, they are probably still looking for a producer. I wish that script came along when Nora was still at the height of her popularity. She would have probably produce the movie herself. :(

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #149 on: Mar 27, 2003 at 07:02 PM »
She produced Tatlong Taong Walang Diyos herself, and what happened to it?  Ah, well.

Saw Fe, Esperanza Caridad.  Amazing film.  Her performance in Esperanza is light and funny (thanks to Lamberto Avellana), but Caridad (directed by Gerry de Leon), despite the cheese factor, is the most striking--imagine, a nun tempting Satan!   ;D
« Last Edit: Mar 27, 2003 at 07:11 PM by Noel_Vera »