Author Topic: Wharfedale Diamond 9 Series  (Read 565489 times)

Offline mr.brightside

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Wharfedale Diamond 9 Series
« Reply #3870 on: Nov 24, 2012 at 11:21 AM »
Your required power/watts in an amp is relative to room size and speaker sensitivity. For entry level AVRs the rated power in the specs won't make much of a difference in practical use IMO, unless it's twice the watt rating of the other (or close to double). Manufacturers usually also rate their power specs different from one another.

Best to choose the model with the features/price that you like. Audition first, if it doesn't go loud enough for you,  try other models. HTH
« Last Edit: Nov 24, 2012 at 05:31 PM by mr.brightside »

Offline hitman531ph

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • All About The Music
  • Liked:
« Reply #3871 on: Dec 15, 2012 at 02:42 PM »
Just got a brand new 9.2 last night.  I managed to find the time today to set them up and connect them to my NAD amp as a 2-channel audio, bi-wired on A+B.   Sounds great to me, in my own room.  They put a smile to my face and hearing my favorite music far better than I can previously remember.  [Currently listening to Sting - The Best of 25 Years, got a copy courtesy of Smart before the Sting concert]

Did a little backread and somebody said the 9 series were "ngongo".  Was the 9 series used in a 5.1 or home theater set up that the "ngongo" was noticed?
Konzert Pioneer Inkel Sony Wharfedale NAD

Offline hitman531ph

• DVD Addict
  • All About The Music
  • Liked:
« Reply #3872 on: Dec 19, 2012 at 02:19 PM »
Inside a Wharfedale Diamond 9 Series

Offline raider125jeigh

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 14
« Reply #3873 on: Dec 19, 2012 at 02:47 PM »
Just got a brand new 9.2 last night.  I managed to find the time today to set them up and connect them to my NAD amp as a 2-channel audio, bi-wired on A+B.   Sounds great to me, in my own room.  They put a smile to my face and hearing my favorite music far better than I can previously remember.  [Currently listening to Sting - The Best of 25 Years, got a copy courtesy of Smart before the Sting concert]

Did a little backread and somebody said the 9 series were "ngongo".  Was the 9 series used in a 5.1 or home theater set up that the "ngongo" was noticed?

audio po...hihihi
Love me or hate me.....

Offline hitman531ph

• DVD Addict
  • All About The Music
  • Liked:
« Reply #3874 on: Dec 19, 2012 at 10:51 PM »
I don't notice it as ngongo.  I played good CDs with it with my new Pioneer DVD player 3022KV.  The amp is a NAD 304 on tone defeat (flat).  Bass, mids and highs were clear and smooth.  Not hard or soft.  Just right.  And the bi-wiring significantly improved the sound quality.

Some people say it has to go through "break-in".  Well, for me, I already like my ash-black 9.2's now, even if a lot less than 50 hours of playing time so far.  No, I'm not satisfied with it, I'm happy with the 9.2's.

Offline Courage

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #3875 on: Dec 19, 2012 at 11:09 PM »
I don't notice it as ngongo.  I played good CDs with it with my new Pioneer DVD player 3022KV.  The amp is a NAD 304 on tone defeat (flat).  Bass, mids and highs were clear and smooth.  Not hard or soft.  Just right.  And the bi-wiring significantly improved the sound quality.

Some people say it has to go through "break-in".  Well, for me, I already like my ash-black 9.2's now, even if a lot less than 50 hours of playing time so far.  No, I'm not satisfied with it, I'm happy with the 9.2's.

Congrats sir.. Ibat iba talaga ang taste ng tao pag dating sa Audio..
Walang Setup

Offline raider125jeigh

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3876 on: Dec 20, 2012 at 01:09 PM »

you haven't heard other speakers..and i dont want you to hear them as well..
be happy for the current diamond 9 series that you have

brader jason
hihihi....as time goes by and you keep on auditioning - that's the hardest part...your hear better speaker beyond your budget but you need to have it and there you go..palo sa pwet haha
Love me or hate me.....

Offline hitman531ph

• DVD Addict
  • All About The Music
  • Liked:
« Reply #3877 on: Dec 20, 2012 at 10:15 PM »
I know there are better speakers out there such as B&W, but I think the Diamond 9.2 I have will last a long time with me.

Offline raider125jeigh

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3878 on: Dec 20, 2012 at 10:18 PM »
I know there are better speakers out there such as B&W, but I think the Diamond 9.2 I have will last a long time with me.
thats good brader...
diamond speakers are really good
budget speakers that sounds good...

puro good ako ah hehe..
i used diamond before...
Love me or hate me.....

Offline JojoD818

• Trade Count: (+147)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 57
« Reply #3879 on: Dec 20, 2012 at 10:21 PM »
I use wharf 9 speakers for HT and audio... kung saan man yan ngongo na yan padinig ako, baka hindi yun speakers ang may problema... minsan yun din nakikinig ang may problema eh, feeling audiophile or kung minsan nasobrahan sa research.

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3880 on: Dec 20, 2012 at 10:23 PM »
Sa mga conscious sa presyo, dito lang sa atin mura ang Wharf, the same Wharf 9.5s being sold for less than 15K here is sold about 45K in London, England.

Source: My college buddy who is also an engineer working at an oil rig based in UK.

EDIT: And they are also made in China too.
« Last Edit: Dec 20, 2012 at 10:25 PM by JojoD818 »

Offline raider125jeigh

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3881 on: Dec 20, 2012 at 10:35 PM »
hahaha feeling audiophile....
i lab it!

dami naka diamond before... ngayon anu na kaya gamit nila hihihihi...
based on my own observation before the mids of my 9.1 was not that good.. FOR ME and nababasa ko din , para saken minsan parang may sipon si singer... ayun sabi ng tenga ko...
hindi naman ako audiophile
dami ko na din napakingang speakers...
mahal talaga diamond sa ibang bansa...type ko nga ung 10 series dahil medyo ok na ung vocals...
ive been there heard that...
Love me or hate me.....

Offline raider125jeigh

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3882 on: Dec 20, 2012 at 10:38 PM »
search ko nga ung mga nagquote na ngongo lol

Yes they are, but add a bit more and the Polk RTi series or the Paradigm Atoms surpass them IMHO. . . .

They are not ngongo as the Diamond 9.1 speakers that I had as a starter system, but you can do better. If they were priced at the same level as the 9.1s, then they would be an untouchable value for money.

Teka ano na ba system mo . . . am confused . . . :-)
Love me or hate me.....

Offline raider125jeigh

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3883 on: Dec 20, 2012 at 10:39 PM »
My 9.3, 9CM and 9.1 were all modded by anthony around 2 years ago, they sound a lot better, it got rid of that "ngongo" sound of the 9 series.
Love me or hate me.....

Offline raider125jeigh

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3884 on: Dec 20, 2012 at 10:44 PM »
arnoldc:

--- Quote ---So these must be audiophile recordings with well-thought out recording techniques that brought the musical detail to the fore, right?
--- End quote ---
Yes :)

Crap = ngongo, disoriented, incoherent. that is the 9.5 i'm describing. not even the low price compelled me to buy one. BUT, i'm not writing it off. heard it in one store (Spectra, and I have no complaints on the store and it's staff), surely would like to hear it somewhere else.

hi there Ryan.

nakabili ka na ba? if you want a decent ht system then you've made a wrong start. why? your main speakers must be of same brand and series. ok na sana ang 8.4 & 8.1 kaso jbl ang center mo. many said yammies ang magandang match sa wharfs. why? matalas ang tunog ng yammies at muddy naman ang wharfs. actually, any amp will do as long as satisfied ka. ganyan din ako dati. patanong-tanong. many said wharfs are bang for the buck! but i say otherwise. why? through audition. hindi ako natuwa. pigil ang tunog. may pagka ngongo pa. no offense sa mga wharf lovers/owners ha in fact wharfs (valdus 100) ang surround ko pero hindi ngongo. iba pa rin talaga na ikaw mismo ang makarinig. ang gamit ng kuya ko 8.1 + center of same series & yamaha at ok naman. maganda (para sa akin). hth  ;)
« Last Edit: Dec 20, 2012 at 10:51 PM by raider125jeigh »
Love me or hate me.....

Offline raider125jeigh

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3885 on: Dec 20, 2012 at 10:48 PM »
i never did say ngongo
kahit icheck nyo mga post ko
i love dia 9.1 before
my comment lage is ung mids hindi masyado ok...
for audio...
for HT panalo

i myself was a owner of wharf....

Love me or hate me.....

Offline sientobente

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • H i F i v e!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 64
« Reply #3886 on: Dec 20, 2012 at 10:51 PM »
the reason why i would always recommend proper amplification with wharfs is because they really have potential to sing, otherwise with poor current, dun lalabas yung sinasabing ngongo sound.

Offline Courage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3887 on: Dec 20, 2012 at 10:56 PM »
the reason why i would always recommend proper amplification with wharfs is because they really have potential to sing, otherwise with poor current, dun lalabas yung sinasabing ngongo sound.

I remember during my early times sa PDVD.. Wharfedale ang malimit start up setup ng mga tao dito... Lalo na nung nilabas ang Wharfs Diamond 8 Series tapos nag ka award pa.. Isa na ako sa mga nagka Wharfs 8 nung panahong yun... Uso din dati na pa modify kay sir Anthony ang mga wharfs nila specially yung tweeter...

Even today i see people here modifying their Wharfs tweeter to a better one... My question is why?
Walang Setup

Offline raider125jeigh

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3888 on: Dec 20, 2012 at 11:00 PM »
I remember during my early times sa PDVD.. Wharfedale ang malimit start up setup ng mga tao dito... Lalo na nung nilabas ang Wharfs Diamond 8 Series tapos nag ka award pa.. Isa na ako sa mga nagka Wharfs 8 nung panahong yun... Uso din dati na pa modify kay sir Anthony ang mga wharfs nila specially yung tweeter...

Even today i see people here modifying their Wharfs tweeter to a better one... My question is why?

ang tweeter ay gamit sa BOSES
BOSES/GUItars etc = MIDS
minsan sa gitara medyo ok pa - pero sa pure vocals pwede pero may hinahanap ka
pinapamodify nila to get better results with mids..

i did try int amp and it got a little better but wanting more
anu bang magandang amp dyan? hihihi
ung kayang magdrive ng 4ohms?  >:D
Love me or hate me.....

Offline Timithekid

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Peace out! :)
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #3889 on: Dec 20, 2012 at 11:05 PM »

My Diamond 10's now belong to my bro and ironically, the wharfs which are known to be warm to laid back become bright when sounds peak, yung sudden sigaw in an action movie doon mo mapapansin na bright yung tweets, otherwise it stays true to its reputation, maybe that's the reason why they mod the tweets.
PS51E550
BD5500
Marantz 5007/DV500
B&W/Klipsch/SVS
Audio: AMX/Klipsch

Offline Courage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3890 on: Dec 20, 2012 at 11:05 PM »
Kumusta naman kaya ang DFS ng wharfs? Ok kayang pag surrounds? Anong mas ok DFS 9 or 10?
Walang Setup

Offline raider125jeigh

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3891 on: Dec 20, 2012 at 11:07 PM »
Kumusta naman kaya ang DFS ng wharfs? Ok kayang pag surrounds? Anong mas ok DFS 9 or 10?
maganda brader...
pwede kasama ni rti hehe
sorry sa OT

same lang daw ung 9dfs and 10dfs... but i havent heard the 10dfs
so get a used one...
Love me or hate me.....

Offline Timithekid

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3892 on: Dec 20, 2012 at 11:07 PM »

yung 10DFS walang talo bro, I will highly recommend it.  cant comment on the 9, kasi I never owned one.
PS51E550
BD5500
Marantz 5007/DV500
B&W/Klipsch/SVS

Offline Courage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3893 on: Dec 20, 2012 at 11:19 PM »
yung 10DFS walang talo bro, I will highly recommend it.  cant comment on the 9, kasi I never owned one.

10DFS ba gamit mo for surrounds?
Walang Setup

Offline jhelenz

• Trade Count: (+84)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #3894 on: Dec 20, 2012 at 11:28 PM »
dahil mura yung wharfs 9 series most users pair it with an entry level amp.magaganda reviews nung 9 series with audio magazines ang di yata alam ng iba mga high end equipment ang gamit ng mga reviewers.for me pag entry level amp(especially yung ht receivers) ang gamit mo hindi mo talaga sya mamamaximize.try mo sya gamitan ng mid to high end level and see if is still ngongo.sir jojod likes his wharf 9 series kasi simple because he knows how to make them sing.
i've owned 9.1 before then nagtry ako sa store ng isang pair ng speakers na twice ng price nya.listening to the same amp,may improvement ng konti pero not enough to justify the price difference.take note that this is just my personal opinion and am not  an expert

Offline Timithekid

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3895 on: Dec 21, 2012 at 12:10 AM »
10DFS ba gamit mo for surrounds?

bro ko 10DFS gamit nya.
PS51E550
BD5500
Marantz 5007/DV500
B&W/Klipsch/SVS

Offline Courage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3896 on: Dec 21, 2012 at 12:11 AM »
bro ko 10DFS gamit nya.

Ahh ok... magkano ba 10DFS ngayon?
Walang Setup

Offline Timithekid

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3897 on: Dec 21, 2012 at 12:14 AM »
Ahh ok... magkano ba 10DFS ngayon?

sa SnS kuha namin was 5500 i think
PS51E550
BD5500
Marantz 5007/DV500
B&W/Klipsch/SVS

Offline kane

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #3898 on: Dec 21, 2012 at 12:35 AM »
dahil mura yung wharfs 9 series most users pair it with an entry level amp.magaganda reviews nung 9 series with audio magazines ang di yata alam ng iba mga high end equipment ang gamit ng mga reviewers.for me pag entry level amp(especially yung ht receivers) ang gamit mo hindi mo talaga sya mamamaximize.try mo sya gamitan ng mid to high end level and see if is still ngongo.sir jojod likes his wharf 9 series kasi simple because he knows how to make them sing.
i've owned 9.1 before then nagtry ako sa store ng isang pair ng speakers na twice ng price nya.listening to the same amp,may improvement ng konti pero not enough to justify the price difference.take note that this is just my personal opinion and am not  an expert

+1 ako dito. I use an older yamaha avr (without hdmi pa), and my wharfes 9.3 sound great. My yamaha is almost 30 lbs with 100wpc. Thats why im hesitant to upgrade to an entry level avr na may hdmi even though may mga mura ngayon. The speakers might sound bad, in the end you'll end up paying more dahil mapipilitan ka mag upgrade ng speaker. Kaya save nalang muna para ma afford mid level to hi end receiver.

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3899 on: Dec 21, 2012 at 12:55 AM »
many would argue that they have heard a lot of speakers, so what? that only validates the amp.

put it another way, try a speaker with different amps, that's a different story. but then again, it's your money so sige palit lang ng palit ng gears...

for what it's worth, I'm using a 200W version of the Honey Badger power amp to power my 9.1s, my source is a Numark Mitrack Pro, pang party namin siya hindi pang audiophile.