Author Topic: Wharfedale Diamond 9 Series  (Read 565432 times)

Offline Stagea

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 600
Re: Wharfedale Diamond 9 Series
« Reply #3510 on: Aug 10, 2010 at 11:32 PM »

i think the 9.6 is better..  it has more detailed highs and deeper tighter low frequencies..  as for the sub, its better if you get something not smaller than 12"...

There are very strong 10" subs around, though big drivers do have their innate advantages.

I agree with going for the 9.6. The 9.6 towers and the 9.3 bookshelves are the best sounding Diamond 9s for me. The 9.6 for its great bandwidth, scale and dynamic capability, and the 9.3 for its good driver integration, even response, decent imaging, and overall musicality.

@dannielsimone

Just remember to use heavy gauge cables for the 9.6, as they need quite a bit of damping.
« Last Edit: Aug 10, 2010 at 11:33 PM by Stagea »

Offline dannielsimone

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm NOT new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3511 on: Aug 11, 2010 at 11:25 AM »
There are very strong 10" subs around, though big drivers do have their innate advantages.

I agree with going for the 9.6. The 9.6 towers and the 9.3 bookshelves are the best sounding Diamond 9s for me. The 9.6 for its great bandwidth, scale and dynamic capability, and the 9.3 for its good driver integration, even response, decent imaging, and overall musicality.

@dannielsimone

Just remember to use heavy gauge cables for the 9.6, as they need quite a bit of damping.

would you suggest 14 guage?
Onkyo 707
Wharefdale Diamond 9.6
Center 9 CM
Diamond 9.1
Mirage Omni s10

Offline c.a.

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #3512 on: Aug 11, 2010 at 11:39 AM »

+1

would suggest g14 or larger... and would also suggest a powerful amp as the 9.6 is power hungry..

Offline dannielsimone

• DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm NOT new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3513 on: Aug 11, 2010 at 01:28 PM »
+1

would suggest g14 or larger... and would also suggest a powerful amp as the 9.6 is power hungry..

Unfortunately I no longer own a powerful amp and am using my trusty and reliable aged Onkyo 5.1 pre HDMI which will most likely not power the 9.6.

Will it power the 9.5?

http://reviews.cnet.com/av-receivers/onkyo-tx-sv525-av/1707-6466_7-33787617.html
Onkyo 707
Wharefdale Diamond 9.6
Center 9 CM
Diamond 9.1
Mirage Omni s10

Offline c.a.

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #3514 on: Aug 11, 2010 at 06:53 PM »
i have an 30watt hk stereo amp and it can power my 9.6, but it can never make it sing as good as more powerful amps can. im not sure with the 9.5 as i havent tried it.  but i believe its also power hungry.. i've had a 9.1 and 9.2, they an both be driven by my 30watter, but they sound better with a more powerful amp.. more dynamics & tighter low freq..
« Last Edit: Aug 11, 2010 at 06:54 PM by c.a. »

Offline dannielsimone

• DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm NOT new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3515 on: Aug 11, 2010 at 07:18 PM »
i have an 30watt hk stereo amp and it can power my 9.6, but it can never make it sing as good as more powerful amps can. im not sure with the 9.5 as i havent tried it.  but i believe its also power hungry.. i've had a 9.1 and 9.2, they an both be driven by my 30watter, but they sound better with a more powerful amp.. more dynamics & tighter low freq..

I have resigned myself to getting the 9.5 as I have various restraints on size and space not to mention  my budget is tighter than a seals ass  ::)
Onkyo 707
Wharefdale Diamond 9.6
Center 9 CM
Diamond 9.1
Mirage Omni s10

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #3516 on: Aug 12, 2010 at 01:12 AM »
I have resigned myself to getting the 9.5 as I have various restraints on size and space not to mention  my budget is tighter than a seals ass  ::)

Try them both. For me, the 9.5's bass can border on distasteful with music. But then again, I'm not a big basshead.

Even a C315BEE or a 340A (40WPC) can make them play well (even with these small amps, I prefer the 9.6 over the 9.5). Just don't expect them to have the dynamics, scale, and control afforded by a burly amplifier (they really get uncorked with a big power amp).

I had my 9.6s connected to a Pioneer receiver in the past, and they sounded alright. They may be a bit more future-proof, as they will still show a significant improvement if you upgrade your electronics in the future.
« Last Edit: Aug 12, 2010 at 01:14 AM by Stagea »

Offline dannielsimone

• DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm NOT new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3517 on: Aug 13, 2010 at 03:46 PM »
I have resigned myself to getting the 9.5 as I have various restraints on size and space not to mention  my budget is tighter than a seals ass  ::)

Cancel that last post.  9.5 is not available for now.  Must rethink my strategy and budget?  maybe will pawn my fish tank and goldfish and upgrade?  or downgrade? or look at polk.
Onkyo 707
Wharefdale Diamond 9.6
Center 9 CM
Diamond 9.1
Mirage Omni s10

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #3518 on: Aug 13, 2010 at 11:28 PM »
If you don't have a big room (and don't play that loud), consider the use of higher model bookshelf speakers. This way, you get to enjoy the sound of a higher model speaker, without paying more.

Offline dannielsimone

• DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm NOT new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3519 on: Aug 15, 2010 at 12:00 PM »
Cancel that last post.  9.5 is not available for now.  Must rethink my strategy and budget?  maybe will pawn my fish tank and goldfish and upgrade?  or downgrade? or look at polk.

As the 9.5 is not available my wife, kids and I did a demo of the 9.6 and the new diamond 10 series as well as other polk gear.  Tested for both 2 channel stereo as well as  5.1 surround with transformers movie.  The 9.6 shined throughout.   Also checked out the mirage Omni10 and Omni8. Omni 10 was very good and handled the battle scenes  very well. As expected and pre warned the Omni8 is not in the same leauge but still handled the low end pretty well.  For the price the subs  are both good deals.
Onkyo 707
Wharefdale Diamond 9.6
Center 9 CM
Diamond 9.1
Mirage Omni s10

Offline c.a.

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #3520 on: Aug 16, 2010 at 09:25 PM »
As the 9.5 is not available my wife, kids and I did a demo of the 9.6 and the new diamond 10 series as well as other polk gear.  Tested for both 2 channel stereo as well as  5.1 surround with transformers movie.  The 9.6 shined throughout.   Also checked out the mirage Omni10 and Omni8. Omni 10 was very good and handled the battle scenes  very well. As expected and pre warned the Omni8 is not in the same leauge but still handled the low end pretty well.  For the price the subs  are both good deals.

trust your ears, you wont go wrong with the 9.6... had mine more than a year ago.. i haven't got a cent of regret since then.. haven't heard anything better than it at this price range...

Offline dannielsimone

• DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm NOT new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3521 on: Aug 19, 2010 at 02:54 PM »

@dannielsimone

The 9.6 sounded great at the demo.  They are a few years old already.  They were powered with a Pioneer.  Had to have them for the price. They sound almost as good as my paradigm monitor 7's...( I said almost)  ;D

Check out the list below.
Editor’s Choice Best Floorstanding Speakers Under $1000
http://reviews.audioreview.com/blog/editors-choice-best-floor-standing-speakers-under-1000/

Could not resist.  Even though my budget was for the 9.5 these babies won me over.  Got the 9.6 the 9cm and the 9.1 (surrounds) and am using my old onkyo 80/60 watts per channel for now.  Also matched them up with the mirage Omni10s Sub. This sub is a bargain for under 9K.  Seems to be doing the trick real nicely. Must say the speakers sound exactly as I knew they would, a little stiff, hollow and  not very warm.  ;)   Par for the course with new wharfs as so many have said. Even my wife noticed it. I am sure this is the result of needing to break them in. Or is it my Onkyo?
http://reviews.cnet.com/av-receivers/onkyo-tx-sv525-av/1707-6466_7-33787617.html

I know that it will take a good month for these babies to loosen up.  Would you say 200 hours?  Any advice during the break in period?

Am closing  deal on a HDTV over the next day or two.  Will probably  be a Panny plasma.  A great addition to the Wharfs.
« Last Edit: Aug 19, 2010 at 03:40 PM by dannielsimone »
Onkyo 707
Wharefdale Diamond 9.6
Center 9 CM
Diamond 9.1
Mirage Omni s10

Offline c.a.

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #3522 on: Aug 19, 2010 at 09:51 PM »
i must say the 9.6 didn't sound good out of the box..  but the sound gets better as it gets broken in.. mine really sounded better after a week of having them.. I've read that some people use pink noise to break in their speakers, but as for me, i just play music as i usually do.. as for the advice, nothing really just don't drive them too hard... congratz! ;D

Offline dannielsimone

• DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm NOT new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3523 on: Aug 19, 2010 at 10:01 PM »
i must say the 9.6 didn't sound good out of the box..  but the sound gets better as it gets broken in.. mine really sounded better after a week of having them.. I've read that some people use pink noise to break in their speakers, but as for me, i just play music as i usually do.. as for the advice, nothing really just don't drive them too hard... congratz! ;D

Thanx....Pink noise?
Onkyo 707
Wharefdale Diamond 9.6
Center 9 CM
Diamond 9.1
Mirage Omni s10

Offline c.a.

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #3524 on: Aug 20, 2010 at 09:45 AM »

Pink noise or 1/ƒ noise is a signal or process with a frequency spectrum such that the power spectral density is inversely proportional to the frequency. In pink noise, each octave carries an equal amount of noise power. The name arises from being intermediate between white noise (1/ƒ0) and red noise (1/ƒ2) which is commonly known as Brownian noise.

I'm not really sure but i think it's the sound they usually use for the test tone of amps..

Offline dannielsimone

• DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm NOT new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3525 on: Aug 20, 2010 at 01:35 PM »

Pink noise or 1/ƒ noise is a signal or process with a frequency spectrum such that the power spectral density is inversely proportional to the frequency. In pink noise, each octave carries an equal amount of noise power. The name arises from being intermediate between white noise (1/ƒ0) and red noise (1/ƒ2) which is commonly known as Brownian noise.

I'm not really sure but i think it's the sound they usually use for the test tone of amps..

Oh.....

am just using my speakers with normal audio from TV, FM radio, 2 channel stereo, surround all at modest levels for the most part except for the intro to the latest star trek movie which sounds great on the 9.6 / Omni10  ;)
Onkyo 707
Wharefdale Diamond 9.6
Center 9 CM
Diamond 9.1
Mirage Omni s10

Offline dannielsimone

• DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm NOT new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3526 on: Sep 18, 2010 at 08:58 PM »
Oh.....

am just using my speakers with normal audio from TV, FM radio, 2 channel stereo, surround all at modest levels for the most part except for the intro to the latest star trek movie which sounds great on the 9.6 / Omni10  ;)
2 Plus  weeks of breaking in and the speakers are warming up.  Am ready to crank at higher volumes.  The San Migs and Stoly are in the freezer.  The wife is visiting friends.  The time is right!!!!

Onkyo 707
Wharefdale Diamond 9.6
Center 9 CM
Diamond 9.1
Mirage Omni s10

Offline dannielsimone

• DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm NOT new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3527 on: Oct 09, 2010 at 03:41 PM »
2 Plus  weeks of breaking in and the speakers are warming up.  Am ready to crank at higher volumes.  The San Migs and Stoly are in the freezer.  The wife is visiting friends.  The time is right!!!!

Just another quick update. After about 7-8 weeks of break in these babies are sounding warm and sweeeeeet.  I am 100% happy and pleased with my choice and as far as value for money goes it is no doubt the best deal for a "low budget" priced speaker out there.  I am pushing these babies at higher volumes now with no noticeable distortion.  They are not miles apart from the paradigm monitor 7's that I had loved at a fraction of the cost.  and my last comment for those who care  is that these Wharfes partner beautifully with my new Onkyo 707.

Thanx for reading and have a great day.
Onkyo 707
Wharefdale Diamond 9.6
Center 9 CM
Diamond 9.1
Mirage Omni s10

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #3528 on: Oct 09, 2010 at 04:11 PM »
It's great to hear that you got them singing well, Dannielsimone. These speakers love lively electronics with a hearty drive.

I kinda regret selling my pair. I had them active quad-amped. ;D

Offline dannielsimone

• DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm NOT new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3529 on: Oct 09, 2010 at 04:20 PM »
It's great to hear that you got them singing well, Dannielsimone. These speakers love lively electronics with a hearty drive.

I kinda regret selling my pair. I had them active quad-amped. ;D
What did you upgrade to?
Onkyo 707
Wharefdale Diamond 9.6
Center 9 CM
Diamond 9.1
Mirage Omni s10

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #3530 on: Oct 09, 2010 at 05:22 PM »
What did you upgrade to?

Nothing grand, really. Some were upgrades, some were downgrades, others were lateral movements. I enjoyed them all though.
Towers including: PSB Imagine T, B&W CM9, B&W 683, Mission M52, Wharfe Diamond 9.4, Yamaha NS-F700
Bookshelves including: PSB Image B25, PSB Alpha B1, Infinity Primus 160, MS Avant 902i, Wharfe Diamond 9.3/9.1/10.1.

I still have the Diamond 9.3s serving HT duties. They're my favorite Diamonds, simply because they match well with my HT gear. They don't get nearly as loud as the 9.6s (they distort sooner), but they have a brighter and more balanced sound to my ears. They also don't get boomy in my small room (the 9.6's port tuning excites my room's modes)
« Last Edit: Oct 09, 2010 at 05:37 PM by Stagea »

Offline c.a.

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #3531 on: Oct 10, 2010 at 11:39 AM »
nice speaker collection sir!   :o

Offline peechey

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3532 on: Oct 11, 2010 at 02:31 PM »
I'll finally be able to buy my very first HT setup by next week.  I'm thinking of 2 setups right now:

Option 1:
Onkyo 508
Mirage Omni S10
9.CS
9.SR

Option 2:
Onkyo 508
Mirage Omni S10
9.CM
9.SR

Option 2 is about 5k more expensive than option 1.  Is there really a big difference between  Option 2 and Option 1?  Budget is quite tight but if the difference in SQ between the two is really noticeable, then I might consider stretching my budget for Option 2.  Btw, my room is about 20sqm.

Offline BigBert-2

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #3533 on: Oct 11, 2010 at 02:50 PM »

For me option is ok. Better if you change the 9.SR with 9.1 instead. But that is just me.  ;)

Option 1:
Onkyo 508
Mirage Omni S10
9.CS
9.SR

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #3534 on: Oct 11, 2010 at 02:52 PM »
nice speaker collection sir!   
Thanks c.a. :)

Option 2 is about 5k more expensive than option 1.  Is there really a big difference between  Option 2 and Option 1?  Budget is quite tight but if the difference in SQ between the two is really noticeable, then I might consider stretching my budget for Option 2.  Btw, my room is about 20sqm.
Option 2 lets you play a bit louder, and does music better imho. If you have the budget for Option 2, I'd say go for it. :)

Offline peechey

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3535 on: Oct 11, 2010 at 04:12 PM »
Thanks for the inputs sirs.  Pero ok naman yung match ko ng speakers, sub and receiver?  Probably the best way for me to decide is to listen to the actual setup.

Offline SETSUT

• Collector
  • Time spacewarp....Ngayon din!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3536 on: Oct 11, 2010 at 08:54 PM »
I'll finally be able to buy my very first HT setup by next week.  I'm thinking of 2 setups right now:

Option 1:
Onkyo 508
Mirage Omni S10
9.CS
9.SR

Option 2:
Onkyo 508
Mirage Omni S10
9.CM
9.SR

Option 2 is about 5k more expensive than option 1.  Is there really a big difference between  Option 2 and Option 1?  Budget is quite tight but if the difference in SQ between the two is really noticeable, then I might consider stretching my budget for Option 2.  Btw, my room is about 20sqm.

Hi, user here of onkyo 508, wharf 9.1 and omni s10. I just started for a 2.1 setup and later on if budget permits, i will purchase 9.5/9.6 and 9cm then 9.1 will be my rears.
For my current 2.1 setup, I'm satisfied with it but want to experience the real 5.1 setup. For music listening wharf 9.1 a little bit lacking of bass but the omni s10 did a great job in providing the bass what i need.
For a starter, you cant go wrong on any options you choose.
LG32LH35
HDX1000
Pioneer DV-220KV
Wharfedale 9.6, 9CM, 9.1
Mirage Omni S10
Onkyo TX-SR508
Xbox 360

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #3537 on: Oct 12, 2010 at 07:41 AM »
Thanks for the inputs sirs.  Pero ok naman yung match ko ng speakers, sub and receiver?  Probably the best way for me to decide is to listen to the actual setup.

Yeah, I think they match just fine. Aside from the better extension, I find the the 9.3 less congested in the vocal region because it lacks the boost that the 9.1 has in the upper bass region.

However, you may also want to audition the Polk TSi and the Mordaunt Short Avant speaks. They deliver a punchier and livelier presentation for similar money (if that's what you're after). The new Onkyos are less forward-sounding (making them more flexible with speaker matching).

Good luck. :)
« Last Edit: Oct 12, 2010 at 07:43 AM by Stagea »

Offline peechey

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3538 on: Oct 12, 2010 at 01:38 PM »
@ShogdGreat,

Thanks for the suggestion sir.  I'll try to consider this as well though I might push through with my mini 5.1 setup.  Marami pa kasing ibang pinagiipunan.  :)

@Stagea,

Thanks sir.  Any specific combination of speakers from these brands that you can recommend?  I'm probably gonna use my setup mostly for movie viewing.  Around 50% movies, 30% music and 20% gaming.

Offline peechey

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3539 on: Oct 12, 2010 at 01:42 PM »
Saw the prices of the Polk TSi series and I think they're out of my budget already  :D