Author Topic: Turntable Part 2  (Read 229651 times)

Offline tuff_u_gong

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • DVD Addict
  • emancipate yourselves from mental slavery!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re:Turntable Part 2
« Reply #60 on: Feb 03, 2003 at 07:24 AM »
Hi tuff_u_gong,

I don't think there's a distributor of Rega turntables in the Philippines but there are a no. of Planar 2's and 3's that float around.......(like at hyper's place)

As for second hand budget tables, you won't go wrong with the Regas; Thorens is another good bet (160, 166, 124, etc.).  You might find some Projects.

Maybe you can tell us your budget and maybe we can come up with a very decent deck.

Good luck.

Edrich

hi again!

where can one find thorens units? are they used? where did racio get his unused deck?

thanks!

Offline tuff_u_gong

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #61 on: Feb 03, 2003 at 07:32 AM »
read somewhere that denon 103 and 103r moving coil cartriges are really great buys.

can we find any of these models here in manila. if ever, who is the dealer?

thanks again!

Offline M_Shoe_Maker

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #62 on: Feb 03, 2003 at 10:51 PM »
Hello tuff_u_gong,

Racio got his Thorens at Sensible Audio - Basement of Makati Cinema Sqr.  Try asking if he is selling it.  Racio already has an Oracle, and may be wanting to sell his Thorens TD 160 Super.

Sometimes, Hyperaudio has good used Thorens too.

Offline tuff_u_gong

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #63 on: Feb 04, 2003 at 10:38 AM »
Hello tuff_u_gong,

Racio got his Thorens at Sensible Audio - Basement of Makati Cinema Sqr.  Try asking if he is selling it.  Racio already has an Oracle, and may be wanting to sell his Thorens TD 160 Super.

Sometimes, Hyperaudio has good used Thorens too.

thanks again fritz!

i sent racio a pm already.

tuff

Offline Ianbond

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Wish I was born rich instead of HANDSOME
  • Liked:
« Reply #64 on: Feb 20, 2003 at 11:42 AM »
This thread (and the previous one) really got me interested in TT's. I found out my dad used to have this old Technics TT (direct drive) and I'm actually thinking of having it restored.  (plugged it but it did not spin).

Right now am sorting my dad's LP collection. So far I've seen several Jobim's, Sergio Mendes Brasil 66 and 77, Astrud, Kaizan Neptune, America, Carpenters, some Brazilian LP's,  Isley Brothers, Joan Baez, Angela Bofill,  Bob Dylan, Burt Bacharach, and Carole King. (dang my dad's got a nice collection). Will try to sort everything as soon as I get back from work.
Got boost?

Offline tuff_u_gong

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: Feb 20, 2003 at 11:45 AM »
thanks to all of you! i now have a turntable!

next question: what kind of alcohol should i use to clean the stubborn dirt that sometimes accumulates in the stylus? where can i find them?

thanks!

Offline dondon

• Collector
  • What i can't find has not been recorded.
  • Liked:
« Reply #66 on: Feb 20, 2003 at 02:18 PM »
This thread (and the previous one) really got me interested in TT's. I found out my dad used to have this old Technics TT (direct drive) and I'm actually thinking of having it restored.  (plugged it but it did not spin).

Right now am sorting my dad's LP collection. So far I've seen several Jobim's, Sergio Mendes Brasil 66 and 77, Astrud, Kaizan Neptune, America, Carpenters, some Brazilian LP's,  Isley Brothers, Joan Baez, Angela Bofill,  Bob Dylan, Burt Bacharach, and Carole King. (dang my dad's got a nice collection). Will try to sort everything as soon as I get back from work.

you got one hell of bossanova collection, yung mga sergio mendez ok na eh, what model of technics do you have? i'm using SL1300, check mo rin baka 110 yan or baka busted fuse lang , matibay mga direct drives.

Offline M_Shoe_Maker

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: Feb 20, 2003 at 04:57 PM »
Hello tuff_u_gong,

For the stylus cleaner, you can try Audiophile.  Before, they sold Audio Technica stylus cleaners.  I'm not sure of the price and if they still have stocks.  The last time I bought those was about a decade ago.  I bought around 7 of those small bottles.   :)  Now, I'm on my last bottle.

Since you have a Clearaudio cartridge, you can try out Clearaudio's stylus cleaner.  ;)   I find it better since it has longer and softer bristles as compared to the Audio Technica.

Offline M_Shoe_Maker

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: Feb 20, 2003 at 05:02 PM »
Hello thedude,

Don't believe anything here in this thread.  Turntables suck big time!  ;D  Throw your LPs away!  ;D  On the otherhand, I can throw them away for you.  Just giv 'em to me. ;D

Kidding aside, you got one mighty collection thanks to your dad.  ;)  Take good care of your newly found treasure.

Offline Racio

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #69 on: Feb 20, 2003 at 07:45 PM »
Hello thedude,

Don't believe anything here in this thread.  Turntables suck big time!  ;D  Throw your LPs away!  ;D  On the otherhand, I can throw them away for you.  Just giv 'em to me. ;D

thedude,

Actually, we have this LP disposal system you might want to try out. Best of all, it's completely free of any service charge! hehe.  ;)

thanks to all of you! i now have a turntable!

next question: what kind of alcohol should i use to clean the stubborn dirt that sometimes accumulates in the stylus? where can i find them?

thanks!

Hey tuff,

Also try the A11 of Denmark stylus cleaner from Audiophile, it has an unusually longer brush compared to the AudioTechnica and ClearAudio, and comes w/ an LP carbon brush, CD cleaner, and a cassette cleaner to boot. And all that for only 300 bucks (php)!
« Last Edit: Feb 21, 2003 at 10:27 AM by Racio »

Offline M_Shoe_Maker

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #70 on: Feb 23, 2003 at 01:56 PM »
They say that when you grow up, that's the time you will appreciate how important education is.  :(

Yup, when I was still in school, I really hated Geometry and Physics.  In fact, I almost flunked both subjects.  :(

Now that I am an analog addict, I regret the days when I cut school and did not listen to my Geometry and Physics Professors.  :(

You see, both subjects do apply when you align and tune your turntable, specifically tonearms, more specifically, pivoted tonearms.  :o

As mentioned earlier, aligning your cartridge/tonearm is a must in order for your analog rig to sound its best.  You just don't screw in the cartridge and play an LP.  ::)

Geometry:  This is important in order to understand why pivoted tonearms cannot be aligned perfectly in the "optimum path" of the LP's groove (that's why the Linear Tracking Arm was invented).  Because pivoted tonearms pivot from a point source, there is a certain degree where the stylus will not be 100% aligned vis-a-vis the LP's groove.  Understanding geometry will show you how to get the least deviation in this so called "imperfect alignment of pivoted tonearms".  Geometry will also let you understand why Overhang, a measurement usually forgotten by some turntable users, is very important in order to obtain the least imperfect alignment.

Physics:  This is important in order to understand why pivoted tonearm have anti-skating mechanisms.  Physics is why the pivoted tonearm has this tendency to force itself into the inner-groove of the LP.

Disregarding both subjects will make you have a poorly aligned / tuned analog rig.  This of course will have  your turntable produce bad sound......  :(

......... which will also bring about undue wear to your cartridge and LP........  :(

......... which will make you say that digitial is superior to analog.........  :P

I wished I had studied harder on these 2 subjects.

The moral of the lesson?

Tapusin at ayusin ang pag-aaral........  :)

.......Wag tularan ang bisyo.......  :)

.......Except ang bisyo sa pagbibili ng plaka!  ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: Feb 23, 2003 at 01:59 PM by M_Shoe_Maker »

Offline tuff_u_gong

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #71 on: Feb 24, 2003 at 12:01 PM »

Hey tuff,

Also try the A11 of Denmark stylus cleaner from Audiophile, it has an unusually longer brush compared to the AudioTechnica and ClearAudio, and comes w/ an LP carbon brush, CD cleaner, and a cassette cleaner to boot. And all that for only 300 bucks (php)!

hi racio!

do you remember which branch of audiophile components carries the A11?

btw, thanks again for helping me rediscover analog. the td-160 sings pretty well with the aurum alpha!

tuff

Offline iceman90a

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Guru
  • picture this!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #72 on: Feb 26, 2003 at 01:36 AM »
question po:

i would like to add a turn-table to my audio set-up. but my receiver does not have a phono input, can i use the aux line in? where do i connect the ground wire?

thank you

money is best spent

Offline stereophile

• Collector
  • What matters is in the groove...
  • Liked:
« Reply #73 on: Feb 26, 2003 at 04:49 AM »
iceman90a-

Yes, you can use your AUX input. However, since it is a linestage, you have to hook-up a separate phonostage (like Musical Fidelity X-LP/LPS/LPS2). These separate phonostages have a terminal for grounding.

If your amp/AVR has a phonostage built-in, then you don't need a separate phonostage. The grounding terminal would also be located at the back. Phono stages which are built-in are usually for moving magnet (MM) cartridges.
« Last Edit: Feb 26, 2003 at 04:49 AM by stereophile »

Offline M_Shoe_Maker

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #74 on: Feb 26, 2003 at 10:25 PM »
Also locally available is Clearaudio's BASIC phono stage for $400 (siyempre, may tawad pa yan  ;D).  It can be used for both MM and MC cartridges.

Offline iceman90a

• DVD Guru
  • picture this!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #75 on: Feb 27, 2003 at 01:13 PM »
iceman90a-

Yes, you can use your AUX input. However, since it is a linestage, you have to hook-up a separate phonostage (like Musical Fidelity X-LP/LPS/LPS2). These separate phonostages have a terminal for grounding.

If your amp/AVR has a phonostage built-in, then you don't need a separate phonostage. The grounding terminal would also be located at the back. Phono stages which are built-in are usually for moving magnet (MM) cartridges.

thank you - so it's not going to be as simple (or as cheap) as i thought.

anyone with a cheap turntable and pre-amp out there? i just need a working set-up, need not be anywhere near audiophile (wag naman yung tatawanan ha). i just want to be able to listen to my dad's old records and find out if there is anything there worth listening to  ;D
money is best spent

Offline Racio

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #76 on: Feb 27, 2003 at 01:43 PM »
hi racio!

do you remember which branch of audiophile components carries the A11?

Ahoy tuff,

It's the branch at AliMall Cubao. Better get there ASAP 'coz the last time I checked, there were but a pair of 'em left.

btw, thanks again for helping me rediscover analog. the td-160 sings pretty well with the aurum alpha!

tuff

The pleasure's all mine tuff! I'm glad you're enjoying your analog rig. Count yourself in for yet another crazy adventure, one more shipmate in the endless search for long lost vinyl treasure troves. Best of luck to all of us then!  ;)

Offline M_Shoe_Maker

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #77 on: Mar 02, 2003 at 04:46 PM »
Hello iceman90a,

You could check out Sensible Audio at Makati Cinema Sqr.  There are cheap direct drive turntables there.  Also, you could check from time to time hyperaudio.  Sometimes he has cheap turntables for sale.

Don't worry, di ka tatawanan ng mga tao even if you have a cheap turntable.  Just align it properly, and for sure, ikaw ang tatawa sa saya.  :)

Offline iceman90a

• DVD Guru
  • picture this!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #78 on: Mar 02, 2003 at 08:15 PM »
Hello iceman90a,

You could check out Sensible Audio at Makati Cinema Sqr.  There are cheap direct drive turntables there.  Also, you could check from time to time hyperaudio.  Sometimes he has cheap turntables for sale.

Don't worry, di ka tatawanan ng mga tao even if you have a cheap turntable.  Just align it properly, and for sure, ikaw ang tatawa sa saya.  :)

thank you very much for the input...

the search is on  ;D
money is best spent

Offline Mika

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #79 on: Mar 04, 2003 at 04:09 AM »
hi guys,

the sound leans more towards one (either left/right) channel. i just compensate by turning the balance knob when listening. is this an alignment problem? please post threads/sites on how to properly align a tt. i would appreciate it very much.

thanks  ;) :)

does a p-mount cartridge need aligning?

Offline M_Shoe_Maker

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #80 on: Mar 04, 2003 at 08:05 AM »
Hello Mika,

Assuming that your cartridge is still OK, and that assuming all your other equipment does not have problems, there are various reasons for what you are experiencing:

1.  Your LP is worn out (laspag)  :(

2.  Your azimuth is out of alignment  :(

3.  Your tracking force is not set properly  :(

Offline Mika

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #81 on: Mar 05, 2003 at 10:50 PM »
thanks m_shoe  ;)

i would look into all the things you've mentioned, hopefully i could trace the problem by trial and elimination.

mika   :)

... will mika ever race again  ??? (off-topic  ;D )

Offline arnoldc

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #82 on: May 08, 2003 at 05:40 PM »
so, who bought a new turntable lately?

anyone?  ;D

Offline M_Shoe_Maker

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #83 on: May 09, 2003 at 03:39 PM »
....... or a new cartridge.......

....... or a new arm........

Offline redkoji

• DVD Addict
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #84 on: May 14, 2003 at 12:07 PM »
Is there still a demand for turn-table?

Whats your target price

Offline M_Shoe_Maker

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #85 on: May 14, 2003 at 04:24 PM »
Yes there is definitely a demand for turntables!  :)

Although there are few audiophiles in the Philippines who have stuck it out with this old medium, a resurgence of new breed "HTphiles", now turned "2-channel philes" have come to know the superiority of this medium.

Target price?  Well, analog lovers have different budgets.  Lets just say there are still analog lovers who buy $10,000 cartridges.  :o
« Last Edit: May 14, 2003 at 04:26 PM by M_Shoe_Maker »

Offline denver

• Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
Where to buy turntables here in MM?
« Reply #86 on: Jun 21, 2003 at 05:34 PM »
Where can i buy turntables here in Metro Manila?

Offline levi

• Konsehal
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Sevilla and Sons Sausages
  • Liked:
Re:Where to buy turntables here in MM?
« Reply #87 on: Jun 21, 2003 at 09:25 PM »
Where can i buy turntables here in Metro Manila?

Hi Denver, Welcome aboard,

Please give us some details, budget, brand new or 2nd hand, high end or low end etc. You could start by giving Hyperaudio a call 8325710. he has some turntables for sale.

Levi

Offline M_Shoe_Maker

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #88 on: Jun 21, 2003 at 11:40 PM »
Yes!  :D

Another Turntable man!  :)

Yes, what your budget denver?

Offline lazeeb0y

• Collector
  • i'm invisible...
  • Liked:
« Reply #89 on: Jun 22, 2003 at 08:58 AM »
hi guys. i have an old busted Technics turntable that i wanna revive so that i can play my records(mostly 80's/new wave!) again.

any suggestions where i can have it serviced?

thanks.  :)
A loaf of bread, a container of milk, and a stick of butter.