Author Topic: The FAP: A SHOT IN THE ARM  (Read 2297 times)

Offline kaffee1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • c[_] kaffee_MUG
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
The FAP: A SHOT IN THE ARM
« on: Sep 05, 2005 at 09:06 PM »
From my e-group: (highlights mine)

Entertainment industry leaders will converge in Malacanang on Wednesday (September 7) for a scheduled major policy speech of President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo to give the ailing local entertainment industry a long-needed shot in the arm.

The affair, to be held at 1:30 p.m. at the Ceremonial Hall (renamed Rizal Hall), is actually intended to honor two Filipino talent/singers, Jeb Madela and Rizza Navales, who recently chalked up an unprecedented triumph as Overall Grand World Champions in the Peforming Arts held in Los Angeles last month. Madela ands Navales were send to the contest by Ida Henares, GMA 7 Talent Center head. They competed against more than 1000 contestants from 51 countries.

Their achievement was deemed doubly remarkable because it was the first time the country participated with just two representatives. South Africa fielded 250 contestants while the US fielded 150.

Hilarion Henares Jr., presidential consultant on national affairs, said that the President has already approved the scheduling of the affair to give due recognition to the achievements of the two GMA talents and added she might just deliver a major policy speech that will have a bearing on the plight of the local entertainment industry, especially the film industry.

Acccording to the presidential consultant on national affairs, they have passed on to the President the major concerns as voiced out by leaders of various sectors from the movies, music recording, television, cartoon and anime, modeling and other fields of entertainment. These concerns invariably include the following:

•--The possibility of reducing to zero all customs duties on raw materials and equipment for the entertainment industry.

•--Legislation to abolish the amusement tax on the exhibition of movies filmed in the Philippines, whether foreign or local.

•--Strict implementation of EO 255 mandating that radio stations broadcast four Original Pilipino Music (OPM) every clock hour.

•--Legislation to punish building owners for harboring piracy of intellectual property in their premises.

•--The setting up of a One Stop Shop (like the New York Film Commission), through an order of the Department of Foreign Affairs and other agencies, in the issuance of visas and permits for foreign movie outfits, as well as foreign students and professors for the entertainment arts and sciences, who will transact business and research in the country.

•--Promulgation of measures to update our local film festivals to the level of the professional integrity and expertise of the major Film Festivals of the World, with special attention to the competition of digital films by Filipino and foreign filmmakers.

•--Mobilization of our talented performers going abroad to promote the Philippines as a tourist destination and a retirement home for foreign senior citizens; also locally as advocates for worthwhile causes such as Cancer Prevention, Children's Rights, Anti-AIDS, Aid to the Blind, Deaf and the Disadvantaged.
    [/list]

Henares said they are inviting everyone in the industry to attend this special affair to demonstrate their solidarity and support. He specifically called on directors, managers, artists, and representatives from the Film Academy of the Philippines, the KBP, all TV and radio stations, the PARI and the media.

Personally, I hope some, if not all, of the above concerns may be addressed soon (methinks Movie Queens should better spend their time helping the industry than anything else...)  ;)
    Readme1|2[/u]

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
    • Trade Count: (+31)
    • PinoyDVD Legend
    • Twitter: @indieboi
    • Liked:
    • Likes Given: 1
    Re: The FAP: A SHOT IN THE ARM
    « Reply #1 on: Sep 05, 2005 at 09:12 PM »
    Legislation to abolish the amusement tax on the exhibition of movies filmed in the Philippines, whether foreign or local.

She wants to abolish the amusement tax (which should have been done a loooong time ago) and yet she's not backtracking on the E-VAT, which she claims the government needs for additional revenue. Sounds contradictory to me.

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
    • PinoyDVD Legend
    • Liked:
    « Reply #2 on: Sep 06, 2005 at 08:52 AM »
    Kaffee I agree whole heartedly with your last statement. The movie industry is only one organization, many people have already lost their job because of its current state. Now is the time for them to unite and save it from its comatose state.
    « Last Edit: Sep 06, 2005 at 12:31 PM by keating »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
    • I'm afraid of the quiet man
    • Liked:
    • Likes Given: 88
    « Reply #3 on: Sep 06, 2005 at 10:08 AM »
    --Legislation to abolish the amusement tax on the exhibition of movies filmed in the Philippines, whether foreign or local.

Not bad--I'd even advocate the doubling of the amusement tax on films not filmed in the Philippines.

Strengthening the film industry and encouraging more foreign productions to film here (so why was The Great Raid filmed elsewhere?) would help more than just the industry; it would help tourism, I'd say, maybe help make it become a major player in stimulating the economy.

So why is it the presidents who need a shot in the arm that turn their attentions to the entertainment industry?  ???

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
    • Trade Count: (+31)
    • PinoyDVD Legend
    • Twitter: @indieboi
    • Liked:
    • Likes Given: 1
    « Reply #4 on: Sep 06, 2005 at 10:28 AM »
    So why is it the presidents who need a shot in the arm that turn their attentions to the entertainment industry? ???

LOL, I'm happy to see I'm not the only person who noticed this.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
    • Liked:
    « Reply #5 on: Sep 06, 2005 at 03:59 PM »
    I think you can see the terminal end of a Filipino president's term when he (or she) finally turns his/her attention to the film industry. Which can mean ill or good for the industry, but usually means we're about due for a change.

Offline kaffee1

• Apprentice
    • c[_] kaffee_MUG
    • Liked:
    « Reply #6 on: Sep 06, 2005 at 10:07 PM »
    I am glad that this topic has generated some comments from the forum.

RE:
    Not bad--I'd even advocate the doubling of the amusement tax on films not filmed in the Philippines.

Strengthening the film industry and encouraging more foreign productions to film here (so why was The Great Raid filmed elsewhere?) would help more than just the industry; it would help tourism, I'd say, maybe help make it become a major player in stimulating the economy.

So why is it the presidents who need a shot in the arm that turn their attentions to the entertainment industry?  ???

In the mid 80s to the 90s, (B.As=Before Abu Sayyaf) there was such a sub-industry as "co-prods", that is, feature films shot here (not all of them "A" films, meaning, some were the American-Italian grade B productions and not all of them blockbusters) co-producing with local talents (line producers, location scouts, art dept personnel, transportation and food service, actors/actresses, etc.) The industry benefitted a lot from this co-prods (similar to what Cesar Montano experienced lately) in terms of practice and technology transfer (and dollars).

It is disheartening to know that the industry has veterans from co-prods years ago that would render very good service to foreign filmmakers, yet films are now shot elsewhere.

The advertising industry today is the biggest beneficiary of these so-called veterans because of the budget allotment, obviously. Co-prod veterans are not 'cheap' if one goes by the pay standards of outfits like Regal or Seiko. It is only of late that Regal, for instance, sees the benefits of putting more attention - and money - to the film's production value, script, direction.
    Readme1|2[/u]

Offline qbaokitty

• Apprentice
    • Hi, I'm new here!
    • Liked:
    « Reply #7 on: Sep 07, 2005 at 01:32 AM »
    gov't just saying these to keep the likes of mother lily, armida and other directors and so called concerned artist off the streets since the impeachment case is dead.  They should also look into fees charged by the mtrcb and film ratings board (is it cinema evaluation board now?) to the producers or filmmakers when reviewing movies.  wala na ngang budget gumawa ng pelikula sisingilin pa ng 20K para mareview. ano ba yan?

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
    • Liked:
    « Reply #8 on: Sep 07, 2005 at 03:17 PM »
    Even the directors are divided now. Before there was only one guild under this organization the KDPP. A new group was later formed, DGPP if Im not mistaken. Then after a few years under DGPP, Marilou Diaz Abaya bolted from the group followed by Laurice Guillen & Peque Gallaga.

I doubt if the likes of Lamangan, Siguion-Reyna will attend to this invitation.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
    • Liked:
    « Reply #9 on: Sep 08, 2005 at 08:40 PM »
    That's the DGPI.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
    • Liked:
    « Reply #10 on: Sep 09, 2005 at 02:55 PM »
    That's the DGPI.

Sorry man, my mistake.

Is O'Hara still part of DGPI? Among the bunch of directors, he is very quiet. I never see him in any protest rally, demonstations unlike Lamangan, et al.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
    • Liked:
    « Reply #11 on: Sep 10, 2005 at 01:20 AM »
    He never joined the DGPI.

He used to be a member of the KDPP, but I think his membership expired.

No, he doesn't march. He's not into activism much, though if you watch his films (Tatlong Taong Walang Diyos, Mga Bilanggong Birhen, Pangarap ng Puso) he definitely has a political point of view.