Author Topic: Mission speakers  (Read 306062 times)

Offline tonedeaf

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 69
Mission speakers
« on: May 21, 2002 at 01:12 AM »
hi all!

any thoughts on these speakers?  was able to demo the Mission M72 (and the M71) at the HT.  i liked the sound though the bass seemed lacking.  considering that these are merely bookshelf speakers, am not too surprised though. would appreciate any feedback from owners of these models, or any Mission speaker for that matter.  am choosing between the M72s and the B&w 303, or if my budget can stretch a bit, a little more high-end speakers, in the P15 range.  my probable receiver is either the yamaha 530, onkyo 494 or the denon 1602.  

thanks in advance.

Offline JhunDV

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Good old-fashioned lover boy!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re:Mission speakers
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2002 at 12:50 PM »
I'm currently using a pair of M72 in my setup connected to an Onkyo 494 receiver. I can say that I'm very satisfied with the performance of the M72, be it in movies or in music. At first, medyo parang bitin ang tunog but after 1 week of breaking-in, it started churning out beautiful sound that seems to get better everytime i listened. With regards to the bass, for me it's adequate maybe because of the small size of my room.

I also auditioned the B&W DM303 before i bought the M72. I didn't find much difference in sound but the M72 actually has a little more bass. I decided on the M72 because it's a little cheaper and it's also biwirable unlike the DM303.

I can say that my M72 paired with the Onkyo 494 is an adequate setup (love it especially in music), but i heard it paired with the Yamaha and it also sound great. And the Yamaha 530 has more power than the 494. But I think it's better for you to try it yourself auditioning the M72 together with your probable receivers and remember that what matters most is the quality of sound and power is secondary.  :)
Panny 50VT30 - Onkyo 818 - Polk  RTiA5/CSiA6/FXiA4/DSWPro550 - MEDE8ER 1000x3D - Synology DS413j

Offline tonedeaf

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2002 at 05:50 PM »
hi JhunDV!

Thanks for the input.  Been looking at the specs of both the B&W DM303 and the Mission M72, the missions frequency response is 56hz-20khz, while for B&W it's at 72hz-20khz.  If I understood my research correctly, this explains why the Mission's bass is better.   Per Sound&Vision Buyer's Guide, Mission's 56hz lower limit enables it to reproduce a more powerful deep bass, as opposed to B&W's (higher) 72hz.  Well, both manufacturers are reputable so I guess my ears will have to be my guide.  

Did you already buy the center speakers?

My room is also small so I'm a bit hesitant to buy the floorstanders, I think the bookshelf speakers will do.  I'm really interested in a receiver which will also do well for music, and not just HT.  

Offline cybermms

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2002 at 07:40 PM »
Hi Tonedeaf,

M72's and M71's are rated 5 stars by What Hi Fi? in the U.K. To get good bass response, you have to position them at about 1 foot against the wall. They are rear ported that's why they need good positioning.

The M72 should compete well with B&W303 and they are about the same price range of between P11-12k.

If you have a bigger budget, you should go for Mission 780 (priced at about P21k). They have been rated better than B&W601/602 series 3 as well as equivalent models of JBL, Infinity and Accoustic Energy.

Please refer to the thread on Bookshelve speakers for additional info.

cybermms
« Last Edit: May 21, 2002 at 07:58 PM by cybermms »

Offline hyperaudio

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2002 at 09:20 PM »
tonedeaf,
the mission m-72's are really good speakers. but for a little more, you can get the m-73's and get the bass you can only get from floorstanders. get the onkyo 494's,
more powerful than the specs suggest, very good-
sounding on both ht and music and an award winner to boot (EISA home theater of the year).
the b&w 601 series 3 is another spkr to consider. you have to hear it to appreciate it. probably the best P15k+ spkrs on the market.
hyperaudio

Offline tonedeaf

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2002 at 09:49 PM »
hyperaudio,

I was thinking of getting the M73s actually, just so I could have more bass.  The way I understand it,  the M73's specs is almost like the M72, except that it has better bass.  Might save me from buying a sub, at least  in the short term, especially as I don't have a large room.  Am actually a bit worried about my neighbor's reactions if the sound gets too loud.  

I was also able to hear the B&W 601 series 3, pero parang di ko masyado nagustuhan ang sound.  Better bass than the M72, but the clarity (not being an audiophile, am not too sure of the correct terminology) isn't as good.  However the B&W was brand new, barely broken in, so maybe that explains it.  Ms. Diana Krall's "Let's Fall in Love"  sounded a bit better on the Mission.  Wouldn't the B&W 601 S3 or the M73 for that matter, require a more powerful receiver, instead of the entry level onkyo/denon/yamaha which i'm thinking of getting?

Cybermms,

I don't think I can afford the Mission 780 (much to my dismay  :( )  I think I'll be happy with speakers in the P15T (or less) price range.  But it has really enjoyed great reviews, maybe I'll ask Stuazon for a demo, so I can have a taste of what might be  ;D  if I had more money that is.  

Offline JhunDV

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2002 at 02:40 PM »

My room is also small so I'm a bit hesitant to buy the floorstanders, I think the bookshelf speakers will do.  I'm really interested in a receiver which will also do well for music, and not just HT.  

I still don't have the dough to buy the center and surrounds, but i'll definitely buy the Mission's center and the M70 for the surrounds. That is, if I can still be patient and not settle for Dai-ichi.  :)

For the receiver, my Onkyo 494 really delivers when it comes to music. I hear the instruments very clearly but it's not bright. So if you want your music clear and warm, I really recommend the Onkyo.  ;)
Panny 50VT30 - Onkyo 818 - Polk  RTiA5/CSiA6/FXiA4/DSWPro550 - MEDE8ER 1000x3D - Synology DS413j

Offline Sen.Almondski

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2002 at 03:05 PM »

.....get the onkyo 494's,
more powerful than the specs suggest, very good-
sounding on both ht and music and an award winner to boot (EISA home theater of the year).

Thanks for the info, hyperaudio, I checked out the site http://www.eisa-awards.org. To fellow ONKYO TX-DS494 owner, CONGRATULATIONS!  :) ;)

almondski

Note: Mods, Pls move this reply to any ONKYO threads if necessary. Thxs!

Offline gaol

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2002 at 06:55 PM »

hyperaudio,

I was thinking of getting the M73s actually, just so I could have more bass.  The way I understand it,  the M73's specs is almost like the M72, except that it has better bass.  Might save me from buying a sub, at least  in the short term, especially as I don't have a large room.  Am actually a bit worried about my neighbor's reactions if the sound gets too loud.  

I have the M74 (went for this instead of the M73 since my room is a little large); its bass was good enough until I finally bought a sub. For stereo listening, I prefer this over the old B&W 601 S2. It also works well with my 1801 AVR.

I was also able to hear the B&W 601 series 3, pero parang di ko masyado nagustuhan ang sound.  Better bass than the M72, but the clarity (not being an audiophile, am not too sure of the correct terminology) isn't as good.  However the B&W was brand new, barely broken in, so maybe that explains it.  Ms. Diana Krall's "Let's Fall in Love"  sounded a bit better on the Mission.  Wouldn't the B&W 601 S3 or the M73 for that matter, require a more powerful receiver, instead of the entry level onkyo/denon/yamaha which i'm thinking of getting?

Hmm, during the last EB at The Home Theater, some guys mentioned they also preferred the M72 over the 601S3. The 601S3 we listened to was set up right out of the box, so maybe it needs more burn-in.

GAOL

Offline cybermms

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2002 at 09:00 PM »
JhunDV,

I recently auditioned the M70 surround and they're pretty good. In fact, they sounded better than the more expensive dipole model (I forgot the model no.) of Mission's M series.

Check this out vs. the Daichi model.

The M 70's are retailing at P7.5k

cybermms

I still don't have the dough to buy the center and surrounds, but i'll definitely buy the Mission's center and the M70 for the surrounds. That is, if I can still be patient and not settle for Dai-ichi.  :)

For the receiver, my Onkyo 494 really delivers when it comes to music. I hear the instruments very clearly but it's not bright. So if you want your music clear and warm, I really recommend the Onkyo.  ;)

Offline cybermms

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2002 at 09:10 PM »
tonedeaf,

Your choice of the M series will depend on the power output of your amp/receiver. If your choice is between the M72 and M73, these models perform better with a high power output amp. I don't think you can get away with an active sub if your setting up a HT system unless you go to the M74 floorstander.

I auditioned the M72 with a 35 watt Creek amp and they performed well. But their potential really came out when I tested them with a 200 watt/channel Rotel 1080 power amp.

I am not very impressed with the M73 as the difference in the bass output vs. M72 is not outstanding. In fact, I would rate Wharfedale's Diamond 8.3 as a better performer.

If your going for Onkyo 494, try the M71 first, then the M72. Let your ears decide after the audition.

cybermms
hyperaudio,

I was thinking of getting the M73s actually, just so I could have more bass.  The way I understand it,  the M73's specs is almost like the M72, except that it has better bass.  Might save me from buying a sub
« Last Edit: May 22, 2002 at 09:16 PM by cybermms »

Offline corrsty

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Spin the black circle!
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2002 at 12:51 PM »
Dudes,

Do we have have the Mission M50 series in the Philippinnes?  I believe this series replaces the 77 series.  

Thanks.

corrsty

Offline JhunDV

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2002 at 02:56 PM »

JhunDV,

I recently auditioned the M70 surround and they're pretty good. In fact, they sounded better than the more expensive dipole model (I forgot the model no.) of Mission's M series.

Check this out vs. the Daichi model.

The M 70's are retailing at P7.5k

cybermms

Thanks for the info. Actually, the M70 is really better than the dipole specially when using DPL2 in music. Now I just have to be more patient... :)

Offline jay_cee_em

• Collector
  • Ciao!
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2002 at 06:40 PM »
I have also recently acquired a pair of M73 floorstanders and an M7c1 center speaker.  They sound really great with my Denon 1602.

I'm considering between the M70s and the Mission dipoles as surrounds.  Right now, I use two  of my  Energy Take 5 satellites as surrounds.  Maybe in a few more weeks.... :)

Offline tonedeaf

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2002 at 10:48 PM »
Hmm... the mission seems to be compatible with onkyo 494 and the denon 1602.  any yamaha users out there?

Offline jay_cee_em

• Collector
  • Ciao!
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2002 at 02:13 PM »
Sent you a PM tonedeaf  :)

Offline cybermms

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2002 at 08:25 PM »
Corrsty,

It is the 78 series which replaced the 77. Don't think the M50 is here. There is a thread about the 780 and 782 somewhere. Check it out.

cybermms

Dudes,

Do we have have the Mission M50 series in the Philippinnes?  I believe this series replaces the 77 series.  

Thanks.

corrsty

Offline gaol

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2002 at 10:43 PM »
Hmm, I think corrsty is right. The 78 series are priced higher than the 77 series, and they've been co-existing for quite some time now. Actually, the 78 series replaced the higher end 75 series (just as the m70 series replaced the 700 series).

With the coming of the the m50 series, the mission uk website has indicated that the 77 series is now available only on a limited basis (paano ba yan, pareng compaq, yung 773e e mawawala na...   ;)).

GAOL
« Last Edit: May 29, 2002 at 07:46 AM by gaol »

Offline tonedeaf

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2002 at 11:45 PM »
hi gaol,

what receiver do you use with your M74s? (i think you mentioned 1801 avr in a previous post, denon ba yun?)

Offline gaol

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2002 at 07:41 AM »
tonedeaf,

yes my avr is the denon 1801, it's been replaced by the 1802 which as DPL2 and slightly higher power ratings.  ;D

GAOL

Offline Sen.Almondski

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Jun 17, 2002 at 06:19 PM »

I have also recently acquired a pair of M73 floorstanders and an M7c1 center speaker.  They sound really great with my Denon 1602.

I'm considering between the M70s and the Mission dipoles as surrounds.  Right now, I use two  of my  Energy Take 5 satellites as surrounds.  Maybe in a few more weeks.... :)

Hi Jong & Hyperaudio,

Anybody can give me the idea how much the cost of M73 floorstanders in the Philippines? Im planning to upgrade to Mission and use my Jamo front shelf speakers as surrounds.

Thanks!

:) almondski

Offline Sen.Almondski

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Jun 17, 2002 at 11:02 PM »
[quote author=almondski
Hi Jong & Hyperaudio,

Anybody can give me the idea how much the cost of M73 floorstanders in the Philippines? Im planning to upgrade to Mission and use my Jamo front shelf speakers as surrounds.

Thanks!

Hyperaudio,

i recieved your PM, Thanks a lot!

The price of M70 series has a big diffrence with M78 series. Is that MDF cabinet of M70 series compares to the Real wood ( rosewood, black as ) of M78 is the big factor in price diffrence? What do you think of finish MDF cabinet guys, compare to real wood?

« Last Edit: Jun 18, 2002 at 12:55 AM by almondski »

Offline hyperaudio

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Jun 18, 2002 at 08:20 AM »
actually, the mission m70 series replaced the 700
and the 78 series replaced the 75 series. it's not only  the wood that made the difference although it' s a big factor. the tweeters are different, the woofers are different and so with the crossover design and parts quality. it should be noted  that the 77 series is in between the m70 and 78, the former also replaced by a new series.
the mission sound quality is consistent (i.e., the higher the series, the better the sound; consequently pricier).
but the m70 series are definitely best buy. they remarkably do things the more expensive models can
do. they offer clarity, a spacious soundstage, unbelievable bass (for the m72's), luscious midrange
and dynamics at so low prices (can even say they're underpriced). a cheapskate's dream! gives us cheapskates an alibi also. ok, ok i'm a mission dealer but this is my audiophile voice speaking.  
mission m72 evaluation equipment used:
amplifier/ receiver: dyna pas 3/st70 s2 or onkyo 494
speaker cable: ixos 6006
stands: lovan affiniti 2400
cd player: rotel rcd-02 or rcd-1070
dvd player: pioneer dv-533k or onkyo dv-s555
digital cable: ixos 106 optical or ixos 105 coaxial
cd-preamp interconnect: ixos gamma audition II

Offline cybermms

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Jun 19, 2002 at 09:02 PM »
The M70 series is really new where M stands for "assembled in Malaysia" . M70 should not be confused with the 700 series. The M series sound great and are priced reasonably well.

The 77 and 78 series are original U.K., thus, more expensive. Obviously, the 78's replaced the 77's. The U.K. models are the pricier ones.

cybermms

rtsy

« Reply #24 on: Jun 20, 2002 at 10:42 AM »
The m71 got a rave review, surprisingly from a high end pundit, Stereophile in a recent issue.

I heard the m72 at Hyperaudio's.  It's decent, for the price, at whatever Rene threw at it be it XRCD2s or vinyl.  It doesn't have the brightness/harshness typically associated with entry-level loudspeakers.  The mids are to my warm liking.  I find the bass a tad lean but my point of reference would be a pair of Dynaudio Audience 40s so that' ain't a fair comparison.

I posted listening notes on the 782 with Arcam and Musical Fidelity integrateds and Arcam and Rotel CDP as source at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Pinoydiophiles/message/153  Check it out and give your comments, please.

Offline corrsty

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Spin the black circle!
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Jun 20, 2002 at 12:02 PM »
cybermms,

according to the April or May Stereophile, the 77 series is being replaced by the M50 series.  There is a picture of the M50 series on that issue and they look great.

corrsty

Offline weel_boor

• Apprentice
  • Hello!,anybody has music dvd's?specially live concerts?very interested in metal bands,also does any one know of any willow dvd?
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Jun 21, 2002 at 10:07 PM »
Its OK i was using it 5 yrs ago, but it will be better if you will add one Sunfire true Subwoofer (pls check www.sunfire.com) or you can use a more  powerful sorround speaker depends on budget. But still needs a sunfire though
weel_boor

Offline gaol

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Jun 22, 2002 at 10:55 AM »
New Mission developments I've come across reading the latest WHF?-S&V issue:

New m7c2 center speaker: Mission has come up with a new center speaker for the m70 series, the m7c2. Unlike the thin and wide and plastic-encased m7c1, the m7c2 is a larger, more conventional box with larger drivers, which WHF says adds "considerable focus to the front soundfield." In other words, dialog is clearer, a problem I had with the m7c1.

m51 gets only 3-stars: What Hifi is dissappointed with the new m51 speakers still preferring the similarly-priced award-winning 780 speakers over this. That is significant, if only for the fact, that WHF almost always rates Mission speakers (and their other favorites, incl. B&W) very highly (except I think for the original mission 773, which led to the revised version the 773e). In fact, they admit, they forced themselves to test the speakers much much more than they usually do because of their findings.

According to them, the m51s are very exciting speakers but sound like you were listening to a system with all tone controls (bass, treble settings) set to maximum--thus eventually fatiguing. Hmm, I guess we can expect revised m51e speakers in the future....

GAOL

« Last Edit: Jun 22, 2002 at 11:12 AM by gaol »

Offline tonedeaf

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Jun 22, 2002 at 06:36 PM »
hi,

just purchased the M73 (fronts) and the M7C1 center (Gaol, didn't realize that it had some problems but thanks for the heads up) , to go with my Onkyo 494.  any tips on how to optimize performance?  gaano katagal ang break-in?  and what exactly should i do to "break-in" a speaker?

Offline gaol

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Jun 23, 2002 at 11:45 AM »
Yo tonedeaf,

I hope you don't have the same problems with the m7c1 (a lot of people are happy with theirs). It's possible that my problem with the m7c1 is a result of the acoustics of my bedroom, its high placement on top of a large tv, and the difficulty of angling the speaker towards my listening position, the sound of the aircon, etc. When I replaced it with the 77c1, my problems were solved so my hunch is that the more expensive m7c2 will also sound better (in my bedroom).

As to speaker break-in, I think there are existing threads on this. Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about it, since the speakers will "break-in" over time and usage  (and there are no adverse effects if you don't follow the "strict process of breaking-in speakers", you will just notice your setup sounding better after a while). Some advise not to set the volume too high in the first few weeks; you may want to do that.

Cheers!
GAOL