Author Topic: Supernatural  (Read 19092 times)

Offline xage

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Suspended
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Supernatural
« on: Sep 21, 2005 at 07:03 AM »
The WB's 'Supernatural': A Ghostly, Ghastly Trend

By Tom Shales
Washington Post Staff Writer
Tuesday, September 13, 2005; Page C01

"Supernatural" is neither super nor natural -- "Discuss," as "Linda Richman" (Mike Myers) used to say on "Saturday Night Live." But "Supernatural," part of a trend toward frightening and sometimes frightful new fall shows, does deliver genuine shocks and jolts, enough so that one might reasonably call it electrifying or maybe electrocuting -- an inarguably less enjoyable sensation.

Essentially "The Hardy Boys Go Ghostbusting," the series, premiering on the WB network at 9pm , stars likable Jared Padalecki and unlikable Jensen Ackles as brothers Sam and Dean, who were children in Lawrence, Kan., 20 years ago when their mommy, manipulated by malevolent forces beyond their daddy's control, was first plastered to the ceiling as she flailed helplessly and then, along with the rest of the house, incinerated in huge billows of flame.

Huge billows of flame are very big in the new fall shows.

The boys and their father escaped. We encounter Sam in the present, grown up and leading a normal life as a student at Stanford University. He has a beautiful roommate named Jessica and a chance at getting into law school -- until, after two years of separation, brother Dean decides to make a noisy reappearance.

Dean doesn't just call or drop by. Writer and series creator Eric Kripke, to inject a phony scare near the start of the show, has Dean stupidly break into Sam's apartment on Halloween night, thus terrifying the occupants. Asked to explain his bizarre behavior, Dean says smirkingly (which is how he says everything), "I was looking for a beer." Sam should kick his butt back out on the street then and there.

But Dean has a mission. He wants Sam to abandon college and go off on a wild ghost chase or two -- attempting in the process to track down Dad, who has devoted his life to finding the evil force that killed Mom but now has vanished himself. Sam is reluctant to leave, but if he stayed put, there'd be no show.

Soon he and his tiresomely smart-alecky brother are in Jericho, Calif., where they run smack into the local legend of the "woman in white," who lures men to fiery and bloody doom with her frequent appearances as a tattered hitchhiker.

We're told that everyone for miles around knows of the tale, but that doesn't stop a young man, on his way home, from stopping to give Ghostie Girl a ride and ending up going straight to Hell himself. As with many of the fright shows proliferating this season, the special effects on "Supernatural" are easily as graphic and gory as those in a PG-13 horror movie.

The details of the woman in white's saga, whether shown or discussed, are ghastly. She is a member of a spook subculture, we are told, made up entirely of women who went mad and, during unspeakable rages, murdered their own children. Now their spirits wander the world seeking some kind of reconciliation.

There isn't much in "Supernatural" to engage viewers older than Sam and Dean, but it's certainly not the worst of the new troop of spookers. Dean may be an obnoxious boor, but he does get some of the better lines, as when Sam scoffingly remembers Dad long ago telling him not to be afraid of the dark. "Don't be afraid of the dark?" says Dean, who's now doing the scoffing. "Are you kidding me? Of course you should be afraid of the dark!"

Yes. And there's so much of it -- especially on TV.

Naturally the lads help close the book on the woman in white and her homicidal hitchhiking. Now Kripke needs an excuse for Sam to stay with Dean and continue their nomadic brotherly misadventures. Dean apparently can't get Sam to commit to that just on the basis of locating their father, so Kripke throws a big fireball into his life that virtually forces him to reenlist. It's a pity that this involves removing Jessica, the only truly attractive character in the group. A Smurf T-shirt never looked better than it did on her.

"Supernatural" definitely gets the job done, but it's highly debatable that it's a job worth doing.

« Last Edit: Mar 04, 2008 at 01:34 PM by Mr. Hankey »
[img width=163 height=49]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b221/x

Offline xage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Suspended
  • Liked:
Re: WB's : Supernatural
« Reply #1 on: Sep 21, 2005 at 07:16 AM »
http://supernatural.warnerbros.com/ <<-- Official Site

Last Week was great seeing the season premiere of this New Mystery/Horror TV series...

Basically its a mystery adventure of two brothers in search for their father and for the one who murdered their mother. Grizzly tales of horror along their journey....

It got a great eerie tune /soundtrack courtesy of The Dave Mathews Band

It got me hooked up.. I dont know if this premiered also in Phil. but if ever, its a highly recommended TV Series.

Offline deweyfinn

• DVD Guru
  • ...still kickin' arse....
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #2 on: Oct 02, 2005 at 01:10 PM »
http://supernatural.warnerbros.com/ <<-- Official Site

Last Week was great seeing the season premiere of this New Mystery/Horror TV series...

Basically its a mystery adventure of two brothers in search for their father and for the one who murdered their mother. Grizzly tales of horror along their journey....

It got a great eerie tune /soundtrack courtesy of The Dave Mathews Band

It got me hooked up.. I dont know if this premiered also in Phil. but if ever, its a highly recommended TV Series.

Maybe early next year.  If not Studio 23, then maybe Star World

Offline Philander

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Nov 09, 2005 at 12:13 PM »
waiting for episode 8, heheheh
« Last Edit: Nov 09, 2005 at 12:13 PM by Philander »

Offline deweyfinn

• DVD Guru
  • ...still kickin' arse....
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Nov 14, 2005 at 07:12 PM »
You can also catch Jared in this week's release Cry Wolf

Offline AshKetchum

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 31
« Reply #5 on: Apr 19, 2006 at 03:23 PM »
AXN is set to premiere Supernatural on May 4, 2006 (Thursday).

Offline Reuven Malter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • No worries, mate!
  • Liked:
WB's : Supernatural
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2006 at 01:46 PM »

If only the rest of the episodes were like the pilot... I lost interest after the second episode, Wendigo.
Clear eyes, full hearts can't lose!

Offline Reuven Malter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • No worries, mate!
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2006 at 06:30 AM »
Schedule of replays:

Thursdays, 2:00:AM
Saturdays, 11:00 PM
Saturdays, 3:00:AM

Ungodly hours. Was hoping for an afternoon sked.

Offline keilu

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • DVD Addict
  • sōten ni zase Hyōrinmaru
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2006 at 01:10 PM »
able to catch the premiere at axn last night.....very interesting......kakaaliw :)

Offline Reuven Malter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • No worries, mate!
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Jul 09, 2006 at 11:57 PM »
Gave this series another try. It pulled me back in after seeing the 9th episode, Home. The 10th episode was even better, Asylum. That cliffhanger must've been so frustrating for US viewers since they had to wait over a month til the next episode.

Offline xage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Suspended
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Jul 10, 2006 at 12:12 AM »
That cliffhanger must've been so frustrating for US viewers since they had to wait over a month til the next episode.

The frustrating is... From WB, Supernatural will now be a part of CW..

Offline pendrell

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #11 on: Jul 10, 2006 at 11:39 AM »
The frustrating is... From WB, Supernatural will now be a part of CW..

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that sort of a good thing, since the show was still picked up when those networks merged, instead of being left out in the new CW network?

Offline AshKetchum

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 31
« Reply #12 on: Jul 14, 2006 at 11:44 AM »
I really tried to like this series, but something held me back, I just couldn't place it at the time. Realized now that the "something" were the two leads--I can't stand them, one brother is an a$$hole, while the other one always looks dirty and unkempt, like he doesn't shower or something.
« Last Edit: Jul 14, 2006 at 11:44 AM by AshKetchum »

Offline d4nu65+3R

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • "i'm real when it's useful."
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Jul 14, 2006 at 05:08 PM »
im watching the show every week on axn and although some episodes are downright creepy, the bottom line is that supernatural is a poor man's x-files wannabe.  which comes as no surprise as some of the staff on the show were alumni of that mighty mighty x show.
« Last Edit: Jul 14, 2006 at 05:10 PM by d45nu65+3R »

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Twitter: @indieboi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #14 on: Jul 14, 2006 at 06:22 PM »
After the initial promise of the pilot, I feel that the succeeding episodes are not living up to what I was expecting from the series. Each episode has eerie parts, I'll give it that much but overall it fails to sustain your interest even for just forty minutes. I hope that it improves with the second season though.

In the meantime, it is quite unfortunate that a show that is really eerie and scary as this one was not supported by the general public...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brimstone_%28television_series%29

Offline pendrell

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #15 on: Nov 07, 2006 at 10:52 AM »
Anybody already in the know if this series is worth its second season so far? :-\

Offline arbitrary

• Collector
  • i lurk a lot.
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Apr 25, 2007 at 06:43 PM »
Anybody already in the know if this series is worth its second season so far? :-\

I've seen the recent episodes of season 2 and they've really stepped up their game. Episode 12 in particular (Nightshifter) was awesome. Some of the episodes are still duds, but in general the second season is quite enjoyable to watch.

Offline Reuven Malter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • No worries, mate!
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Apr 25, 2007 at 08:11 PM »
The second season has better episodes indeed. It even attracted (in)famous actors such as Tricia Helfer, Linda Blair, and Gary Cole among others. The latest episode set in Hollywood was a riot.

Offline sardaukar

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • DVD Guru
  • Don't Panic!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #18 on: Apr 25, 2007 at 09:24 PM »
Agree as well, the writing and the stories in general are much better than season one. And I'm ashamed to admit that I only recently realized why Kim Manners' name is so familiar. He was also the producer as well as the director of a lot of X-Files episodes.

Offline thegoodbyeguy

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Dec 06, 2007 at 03:00 PM »

Better late than never....

Just finished the last 6 episodes of Season 2 'til the wee hours today. It's like a book I couldn't put down. I somehow like the Winchester brothers 'stupidity' in dealing with the 'supernaturals' basically. It's part X-Files/CSI but with a slant on the paranormal. Heck, It's even sometimes feel like a Gilmore Girls, er, Boys when they argue over their dead mother. The season 1 ending is a blast unlike this second season ender but still you'll be looking forward for the third season. As they say, there are still 'more' out there.

I like almost all of the episodes but the one that gets me the most are:

Season 1: Episode 9: Home
                           12: Faith
   Season 2: Episode 1: In My Time Of Dying
                            3: Bloodlust
                            7: The Usual Suspects (the one with Linda Blair, hehe, like the "pea soup" Dean dialogue at the end)
                           11: Playthings (a bit of a reference to The Sixth Sense and the '80's movies, Dolls & Dolly Dearest)
                           15: Tall Tales (a funny episode even if they are dealing with evil)
                           16: Roadkill (sad, sad episode with great reference to The Sixth Sense, even Dean jokingly called Sam
                                'Haley Joel' at the end)
                           17: Heart (back-to-back sad episodes with 'Roadkill', they definitely channels TV dramas
                                 with these episodes. My So-Called Supernatural Life, perhaps?)
                           18: Hollywood Babylon (the one with a haunted movie set. This episode screams with "Evil Dead' references all over.
                                The swaying of the swing at the doorstep, the cabin very much similar in The Evil Dead
                                and the display head of a reindeer. Hell, they even called one of the supposedly movie's character as Ashley!
                                The story for this episode has been 'been there and done that' but I got kicked watching this with many movie
                                 references! Oh yes, Scream 3 comes to mind. :D

Thanks to a friend who bought me the box sets! ;)

Offline Dowals

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • DVD Guru
  • Cobra Commander
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Jan 02, 2008 at 01:53 PM »
anyone seen season 3 episodes already?
lowest paid in the banking industry

Offline thegoodbyeguy

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Jan 03, 2008 at 02:41 AM »

anyone seen season 3 episodes already?

Haven't seen Season 3 episodes yet.

Offline Phobos

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Forum Nazi
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Jan 03, 2008 at 10:13 AM »
I have. They are a goodie. The Christmas episode was rightfully depressing. Which I liked.

Offline dobler

• Kagawad
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Jan 03, 2008 at 10:53 AM »
I'm just done with the first half of season 2. Alona Tal. My Gash!  ;D

Offline thegoodbyeguy

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Jan 05, 2008 at 03:52 AM »
I have. They are a goodie. The Christmas episode was rightfully depressing. Which I liked.

I'd definitely watch right away and leave my things behind when I got my hands on Season 3. I was able to watch the entire Season 2 in three days (rather in midnights) just because I can't wait to see what fate will the Winchester Brothers have in the second season. Now, I'm waiting for the DVD of Season 3. 

Offline Dingdong Amandy

• Collector
  • isang HT and Audio lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Jan 05, 2008 at 07:10 AM »
guys season3 EP's currently not available in dvd's right?
but i already got them to watch on my pc thru link forums.......the stories are now more exciting guys

its on season3 EP8 and for this years EP's no airtime realease yet...

http://dcph.info/v2008/

Offline thegoodbyeguy

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Jan 06, 2008 at 03:27 AM »

guys season3 EP's currently not available in dvd's right?

Season 3 DVD's not been released yet. :)

Offline Dowals

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • DVD Guru
  • Cobra Commander
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Jan 08, 2008 at 09:11 AM »
The season 3 opener, The Magnificent Seven, is a good one.

The brothers battle the 7 deadly sins  :) 

Looking forward to the complete season 3
« Last Edit: Jan 08, 2008 at 09:12 AM by Dowals »
lowest paid in the banking industry

Offline thegoodbyeguy

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Jan 14, 2008 at 02:16 AM »

Looking forward to the complete season 3

Same here!  ;)

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #29 on: Mar 04, 2008 at 01:34 PM »
Ratings must be okay, since The CW gave it an early renewal for a fourth season next year.
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...