Author Topic: DVD Editions:infinifilm,criterion,superbit, vistaseries, limited, etc...  (Read 37659 times)

Offline xage

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Suspended
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Are there any standards? What then?

Highly appreciate your responses
« Last Edit: May 25, 2005 at 11:28 AM by xage »
[img width=163 height=49]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b221/x

Offline robertj

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
Re: infini/criterion/superbit/ultimate ed/special
« Reply #1 on: Feb 28, 2002 at 04:21 AM »
there are no standards. it's all marketing hype.
« Last Edit: Jan 01, 1970 at 08:00 AM by 1016344800 »

Offline Mo®pHeOu$

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • GO GREEN: LET'S DO OUR SHARE IN SAVING OUR PLANET
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Feb 28, 2002 at 09:09 AM »

Are there any standards? What then?

Highly aprpeciate your responses

;D ;D maybe it's a way of making more money for the makers of the movie kasi ang dami ng format eh binibili pa rin ng tao yung iba't-iba.  

Offline Jude

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #3 on: Feb 28, 2002 at 12:28 PM »
Ganito yan.

Infinifilm is a line of DVDs from New Line. This type of DVD usually contains loads of extras which are integrated into the movie itself (you can check out the extras while watching the movie in an immersive, interactive style), kaya everything is fit into a single DVD-9 disc. Some experts say that this results in lesser image quality, but this isn't necessarily true. Kung magaling yung pagka-encode, or short lang yung movie, di mo naman halata. I kinda like this line kasi no need for disc-swapping, and as far as I'm concerned the purported decrease in image quality is mostly negligible.

Criterion is an independent company (not affiliated with any studio) which puts together their own releases of "notable" films that they deem "worthy" of "special" treatment. They've been around since the LD days, and most of their classic film library is derived from the Janus Film Archives with which they have an exclusive arrangement. Enthusiasts have come to associate Criterion with topnotch image quality and a boatload of nifty extras. But there are exceptions, as there are a few Criterion releases with bad image quality and/or no extras (i.e., Salo).

Superbit is from Columbia/Tristar (aka Sony). Films in this line are said to have an extra-high bitrate resulting in superior image and audio quality. All films in this line have DTS tracks. There are zero extras and a very simple menu design so that all the space on the DVD can be allocated for the film itself. This line is actually mostly marketing hype lang kasi diba when turning a movie into a DVD, as a rule, shouldn't the bitrate always be as high as possible anyway? So I believe that we shouldn't be paying extra for that "extra-high" bitrate. Kumbaga Superbit discs are like Special/Collector's/Ultimate editions lacking a disc 2 with extras, and selling for the same price (hindi sulit!). But this will be remedied daw with the Superbit Deluxe line.

Offline Sunfire

• Collector
  • No music. No life.
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Mar 04, 2002 at 10:47 PM »
Very well said, Jude.  Been looking for a good and brief description for each category for sometime now and you just did it simply  ;)  Thanks.

Offline Rak-Rak

• DVD Addict
  • MKV Addic
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Mar 05, 2002 at 06:52 PM »
Yung mga earler releases ng Universal na DTS gaya ng River Wild DTS, Apollo 13 DTS, Day Light DTS... ay ma-i-coconsider na superbit kasi wala itong extra features at sagad ang Video bitrate niya at take note, ang DTS Track niya ay doble ang bitrate ng DTS track ng Superbit.  karamihan sa mga lumalabas na DTS track lately ay tinatawag na 1/2 DTS bitrate lang. :(

All this is are marketing scheme para bilhin natin ulit yung dati na nating binili na movie nila.

Offline Sunfire

• Collector
  • No music. No life.
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Mar 06, 2002 at 06:43 PM »
In my opinion, regardless of what production company a dvd came from whether it's a DD or DTS encoded tracks, basta it sounds good on my system ok na sa akin.  Generally, DTS sounds better than DD.  But there are titles with DD that's close with that of DTS like Goldeneye, Tomorrow Never Dies, The Mummy, and The Mummy Returns to name a few.  But if you're a bit accurate conscious dude, eh makakabutas nga yan ng bulsa  ;D

Offline emildjr

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
What's different between rated & unrated titles?
« Reply #7 on: Nov 28, 2001 at 10:08 AM »
What is the difference between a rated & unrated DVD titles? What's the best DVD to buy?
It's not who I am underneath... It's what I do that defines me...

NY152

Re: What's different between rated & unrated title
« Reply #8 on: Nov 28, 2001 at 10:37 AM »
That really depends on the film, and on what you're looking for.

Usually, "unrated" implies more graphic footage - graphic in terms of language, sex and nudity, or violence.

For example, in "American Pie", the unrated version has slightly longer footage of Shannon Elizabeth touching herself, a different angle for the infamous pie scene, and a few more pages shown from the sex manual. Those were the only differences I noted.

In the case of "Robocop", the Unrated Criterion DVD is much more violent than the Orion/Image (?) R-rated theatrical version release. This is very noticeable in the scene where Murphy is gunned down.

The most common films with unrated and R-rated versions, however, are the B-movie softcore flicks, like "Emmanuelle: First Contact", "Secret Games 3", and the like. WARNING: For those into these types of films (present company included... sometimes...  ;) ), the DVDs of both these titles marked "unrated" actually contain the R-Rated versions. The versions that came out on original VCD and on laserdisc had more "interesting" footage.

I learned the hard way...   ;D

Offline emildjr

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Nov 28, 2001 at 11:01 AM »
NY152,

Thanks you... I guess I'll get the unrated titles and I'll check those softcore movies you've mention  ;D

It's not who I am underneath... It's what I do that defines me...

Offline ßartmaniac

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Don't have a cow, man!
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Nov 28, 2001 at 12:24 PM »
In the case of Hollywood movies/DVDs which bears the mark "Unrated", those are movies which include certain scenes which were NOT included when the film was rated (GP, PG, R or X) by the Motion Pictures Assc. of America (our MTRCB's US counterpart).  So in effect, it's the same rated movie inserted with unrated/longer scenes (normally a more graphic sex and/or violent shot).

There's a gray area in contrasting "Unrated Version" and "Director's Cut" though since I think both are unrated and relatively longer that the theatrical release.  Now what's the difference?

I tried to give an answer but ended up with more questions ???

Posted by Bently in another thread:
"Many of the alterations involve lines of dialogue, but sharp-eyed viewers will notice the few instances where alternate footage has been inserted. The biggest change is an alternate camera angle of the infamous "apple pie scene" – in the R-rated version, hapless Jim is caught standing up, holding said pie over his genitalia; in the Unrated version, Jim is caught laid out on the counter, thrusting on top of the pie."

NY152

« Reply #11 on: Nov 28, 2001 at 12:38 PM »

There's a gray area in contrasting "Unrated Version" and "Director's Cut" though since I think both are unrated and relatively longer that the theatrical release.  Now what's the difference?

I think basically, once the previously rated film is re-edited by the director, if he chooses to submit it to the MPAA again, they'll impose a rating. Thus, if the footage suits their standards, the "Director's Cut" may still garner an R-Rating. Case in point: Apocalypse Now Redux.

If he doesn't pass it through the MPAA, then the new version will be marked "unrated".

Offline Kahon

• Konsehal
  • DVD Guru
  • Hmpppp!!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Nov 28, 2001 at 12:39 PM »

In the case of Hollywood movies/DVDs which bears the mark "Unrated", those are movies which include certain scenes which were NOT included when the film was rated (GP, PG, R or X) by the Motion Pictures Assc. of America (our MTRCB's US counterpart).  So in effect, it's the same rated movie inserted with unrated/longer scenes (normally a more graphic sex and/or violent shot).

I tried to give an answer but ended up with more questions ???

I'll try to make an observation:

Usually "Unrated Version" would be the European release, which is normally cut to get an R-rating when it gets to America if it is too racy.  An example is Basic Instict.

A "Director's Cut" would be in the works after the theatrical run of the film in America and Europe, and happens when the director wants to restore scenes that were cut for time or delete extraneous scenes.  Example would be Bladerunner, Brazil.

But with some releases like:  The Nutty Professor 2, American Pie, this observation goes out the window.  Ano ba yan?

Offline ßartmaniac

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Don't have a cow, man!
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Nov 28, 2001 at 12:52 PM »
Thanks for your reply, NY152 & kahon.  Both made sense. Though I must admit it got me all the more confused reading one after the other with diffrent views ??? ;D

I'd say, enough of those "Unrated Versions" and "Director's Cut" and just release the movie in DVDs as it was in the theaters.  Those unrated, cut and/or alternate scenes then goes into the "Deleted Scene" section ;D  That's just me, of course ;)

Offline quasar

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Nov 30, 2001 at 12:30 AM »
Rated and unrated are used to describe a film that has been submitted to the Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA) for rating prior to release as a guide for cinemaplexes and audiences alike. MPAA ratings are "G" - suitable for all audiences; "PG" - parental guidance suggested; "PG-13" - may be inappropriate for viewers under 13; "R" - not recommended for viewers under 17 without an adult or guardian present; "NC-17" - not suitable for viewers under 17. If the term used was "not rated", the film wasn't submitted to the MPAA.  If the term used was "unrated", it signals that additional material was added to the previously MPAA rated feature.

"Director's Cut", on the other hand, refers to the version of the film. Often the director is contractually obligated to deliver to the studio a film with a specific length, say 90 mins, for theatrical release. (Why a specific length? So that the film can have more showings at the cinema and thus make more money for the studio.) The director would then have to edit the movie in such a way that it would meet this requirement. In some cases, the director edits the film to improve pacing, etc. The end result is sometimes called the "studio version" or "theatrical version".

The director may have a clause his contract (I'm not sure whether this is a standard clause for all directors) that reserves for him the right to produce his own cut of the film without any restrictions as to length. This is referred to as the "director's cut", and is usually released only on home video/DVD.  

A "director's cut" would be classified as "unrated" since additional material was added to the previously MPAA-rated film. A good example is Lethal Weapon. If you look at its IMdb entry, the original feature is rated "R" while the director's cut (available only on home video/DVD) is "unrated".  It is also possible for the director's cut to be submitted to MPAA in order for it to be shown theatrically.  This was done for Apocalypse Now Redux, which was rated R by the MPAA, just like the original Apocalyse Now.

Is the unrated version always a director's cut? Not necessarily. The additional material may have been added by the producer/studio without the director's intervention or against his wishes. Caligula is a good example of this. Or, the studio planned from the onset to release an unrated version for home video and required the director to prepare the same in addition to the theatrical version.

Offline xage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Suspended
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Feb 21, 2002 at 06:41 PM »
I think most Unrated DVDs are categorized within the NC 17 rating comapre to its PG & R rated counterparts.

With the current lock of Previous Thread, anyone of you has an Idea of whats the difference of American Pie 2 unrated with its rated counterpart?

Offline kings5504

• DVD Guru
  • Rock Band Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Mar 01, 2002 at 09:44 PM »

Anyone of you has an Idea of whats the difference of

American Pie 2 unrated with its rated counterpart

Got this from the Home Theater Forum:

minor spoilers ahead...

[glow=black,378934,11344]Those who hoped for a lot more skin and smut will be disappointed. Yes, we see a little more action during the lesbian scene; the brunette drops her top and the blonde mildly kisses her chest.  In another scene, after Michelle from Band Camp puts the trumpet in Jim's butt, they sneak out and we see in silhouette a camp counselor playing the trumpet. Later, footage of the counselor with a gross fungus growing around his mouth was shown.

Otherwise, the cuts were clearly made for time, not for rating. Stifler rides Oz because he remains faithful to Heather, Stifler gets into tussles with Finch, Jim's dad goes on a rant at the emergency room... Again, it's all pretty minor,and none of it matches the expectations one has for "unrated" material. Fans will be happy to see it, but the overall impact is minor.
[/glow]
« Last Edit: Mar 19, 2002 at 02:06 PM by kings5504 »
The war is over...  Now bring on the classics on HD!

Offline viper

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • i took the money and ran . . . . but now I'm back
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Mar 01, 2002 at 09:50 PM »

With the current lock of Previous Thread.

Anyone of you has an Idea of whats the difference of

American Pie 2 unrated with its rated counterpart

Just completed viewing AP2 unrated region 3 from astro. It seems that there is no difference between the theatrical version and the unrated region 3 version. Possible reason could be any of the following:

The US theatrical version did not contain the nudity and sexually explicit scenes but was included in its Philippine theater run hence  there is no difference between the unrated disk and the RP theater run

-or-

The R3 disk have been mislabeled as unrated since there is no difference between the disk and the RP theater run assuming that the version shown in RP theaters are 'toned down' cut of the movie

-or-

the unrated label refers to the extra footages shown in the special features.

What do you think?  ??? ???

Anybody can correct me here but the way I understood it, the unrated version is the one that you won't see in the movies. For example, in Road Trip (Ur8ted), the scene where the guy is tweaking the boobs of the girls definitely will not be seen in the cinemas (at least not here in the Philippines).

It could also pertain to an edition that was not really given a rating (?) for one reason or another.

Offline viper

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Mar 01, 2002 at 09:53 PM »
Hey, just read  kings5504's post. We post almost simultaneously.

Anyway, I cannot really recall if the father's ranting in the hospital was shown in the theaters so this must be it.

ANyway, I enjoyed the movie, nevertheless.

NY152

« Reply #19 on: Mar 01, 2002 at 11:01 PM »

The US theatrical version did not contain the nudity and sexually explicit scenes but was included in its Philippine theater run hence  there is no difference between the unrated disk and the RP theater run

Not likely. I think the only time this happened with a mainstream studio film was with "Austin Powers", where the RP theatrical run had the deleted scenes incorporated into the film. I don't think AP2 was even made available as unrated until its video release.

The R3 disk have been mislabeled as unrated since there is no difference between the disk and the RP theater run assuming that the version shown in RP theaters are 'toned down' cut of the movie

Seems most likely.

the unrated label refers to the extra footages shown in the special features.

Nah, other discs with explicit footage in deleted scenes don't have that warning. At best they have a small "additional footage unrated" text warning.

Actually, when I first watched the Unrated R1 discs, I couldn't figure out what was added from the theatrical run. The lesbian scene seemed just a bit longer, but all the other additional scenes I couldn't figure out.

Offline xage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Suspended
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Mar 09, 2002 at 05:36 AM »
Caligula DVD Cover Color

Rated - Colored in Red Background
Unrated - Colored in Blue background

Saw the difference between the rated and unrated Road Trip and man on the DVD, there is an extra scene in the shower where there are more skin than U can imagine. :o

There are also DVD that has the option to set it as Unrated or Rated.

Like:
Embrace of the Vampire

Offline Rak-Rak

• DVD Addict
  • MKV Addic
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Mar 09, 2002 at 10:57 AM »

Caligula DVD Cover Color

Rated - Colored in Red Background
Unrated - Colored in Blue background

Buti na lang Unrated yung nabili ko, me kasama pang extra DVD ng Playboy Sneak peak...sneak-na-sneak talaga. he-he-he. ;D ;D

Offline viper

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Mar 10, 2002 at 03:56 AM »

Buti na lang Unrated yung nabili ko, me kasama pang extra DVD ng Playboy Sneak peak...sneak-na-sneak talaga. he-he-he. ;D ;D

Bakit wala yang extra dun sa binili ko kay CultureClub?  >:( >:(

Offline lazy_maze

• Collector
  • You imbecile!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Mar 10, 2002 at 07:22 AM »

Huh??...Mine doesn't have that extra DVD you're talking about. The Unrated version only has a single disc containing the "making of" feature, etc. but no sneak peak disc.

Plus, weren't Penthouse models used in this movie (since it was a Bob Guccione production) and not Playboy models?

Unless, you're referring to an easter egg that I'am not aware of... ???

Offline gladiator

• Collector
  • DVD WARRIOR
  • Liked:
People it's already giving me a hard time deciding what dvds to buy for my collection and in what criteria but to make things worse the various types of film releases is another point to consider. Can anyone tell me what the differences are among the: UE, SE, CE, CC disks?

Is it just the features and audio or does a certain edition state if its presented in anamorphic/letterboxed widescreen or fullscreen? I know that anamorphic is the best style right? Also, sometimes it doesn't say on the disc if it's LB or ANA. How would I know?
« Last Edit: Jan 31, 2003 at 02:47 AM by Kahon »

Offline weddingsingr

• DVD Guru
  • And I am a material girl... or boy.
  • Liked:
Re: HELP ON DIFFERENT DVD EDITIONS
« Reply #25 on: Oct 24, 2001 at 05:09 AM »
The best way to determine the features of a particular title is looking at the disc details in Amazon or reviews in other DVD sites like DVDAngle.  Thes sites discuss the features more on detail based on their observation.  They even state which special feature is in mono, Dolby Surround, or Dolby Digital.

As for the various editions there are a lot of threads discussing these editions in details.

The only consistent things with the UE, CC, and SE would at least be that they have special features.

One thing for sure is that the CCs are priced higher, even up to 2x or even 10x (if out of print).  There are threads discussing CCs.  Also, not all CCs are in DTS. Armageddon CC is not but the DD sound is outstanding.

Though UE, CC, SE, CE, etc. editions are usually preferred, they do not guarantee that it contains the feature you are looking for like a certain special feature or if DTS or THX.  It really varies from one to another kaya we check the reviews to see kung talagang OK for us to buy it.

So what you need to do is determine your priority criteria in choosing a DVD.  Then see if the feature of the DVD edition fits your priority criteria.

If it fits, then pera and way to order na lang ang problema mo.

Offline gladiator

• Collector
  • DVD WARRIOR
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Oct 25, 2001 at 02:58 AM »
wedding,

Thanks for enlightening me on the subject of different editions. I just have 1 more question unanswered though with re to the picture formats. How do you know if the film is in anamorphic or letterboxed widescreen if its not indicated.

At times only the aspect ratio is stated and its not always the same even if the film is anamorphic or letterboxed. What does is it mean when it states presented in the original aspect ratio - is it anamorphic?

In WARNER DVDS sometimes it says "presented in a matted widescreen format"- what's this?

I'm fairly a newbie in the dvd world but I know you dvd gurus can help me out. thanks! :)

Offline weddingsingr

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Oct 25, 2001 at 09:11 AM »
If it is R1 DVDs, you have to check with the disc details. But for R3 eh sad to say buy that if there is nothing indicating na anamorphic siya, most likely eh hindi.

I myself prefer the anamorphic kasi at least you have the option to make it widescreen with your player settings.

Offline weddingsingr

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Oct 25, 2001 at 09:16 AM »
For the sound nga pala,as of date, if the R1 is not DTS, then hindi rin DTS ang R3. Kung may DTS and non-DTS ang R1, hindi DTS ang R3.

You have to always check the pack of the case to see if it is DTS. Take note that there was some confusion woth the first batch of Gladiator as there was a mention of DTS at the back of the cover but the DVD was not actually DTS.

Offline dobler

• Kagawad
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
infinifilm:

Hey check this out:

www.infinifilm.com

:o
« Last Edit: Jan 31, 2003 at 02:50 AM by Kahon »