Author Topic: Top Ten Best Filipino Flicks  (Read 66681 times)

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Top Ten Best Filipino Flicks
« on: Mar 22, 2005 at 11:58 AM »
There is an interesting part on Joel David's Field Of Vision book wherein some people from Philippine Cinema listed their Top Ten Best Filipino Films of All Time.

Lists are matter of debate...mine can change from time to time....with the exception of the Top 3......8) :)

1. ORO PLATA MATA- Peque Gallaga
2. ITIM- Mike de Leon
3. MAGNIFICO- Maryo J. delos Reyes
4. SCORPIO NIGHTS- Peque Gallaga
5. MAYNILA SA KUKO NG LIWANAG- Lino Brocka
6. MANILA BY NIGHT- Ishmael Bernal
7. BROKEN MARRIAGE- Ishmael Bernal
8. HIMALA- Ishmael Bernal
9. TATLONG TAONG WALANG DIYOS- Mario O'Hara
10. BIYAYA NG LUPA- Manuel Silos

Honorable Mention: The following films, I can't squeeze anymore, but that doesn't mean they are worthless.

SALOME
KISAPMATA
MORAL
VIRGIN FOREST
UNFAITHFUL WIFE
BATCH '81
KAKABAKABA KA BA
TAKAW TUKSO
ALAMAT NI JULIAN MAKABAYAN
PRIVATE SHOW
ORAPRONOBIS
NYMPHA
BAGETS
HINUGOT SA LANGIT
KARNAL
GUMISING KA, MARUJA
ISANG ARAW WALANG DIYOS

« Last Edit: May 23, 2006 at 07:13 PM by keating »

Offline Noel_Vera

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm afraid of the quiet man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
Re: Top Ten Best Filipino Flicks
« Reply #1 on: Mar 22, 2005 at 01:11 PM »
Didn't we do this already? Oh well:

TWELVE GREAT FILIPINO FILMS

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Mar 22, 2005 at 01:14 PM »
Didn't we do this already? Oh well:

TWELVE GREAT FILIPINO FILMS

I just remember........thanks again for the link, Noel.  :)

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Mar 22, 2005 at 01:23 PM »
Worth having a separate thread. Might encourage others to post their links.

Glad to see Biyaya ng Lupa and Scorpio Nights on your list, keats. You need to see more Mario O'Hara, tho.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Mar 22, 2005 at 05:53 PM »
Worth having a separate thread. Might encourage others to post their links.

Glad to see Biyaya ng Lupa and Scorpio Nights on your list, keats. You need to see more Mario O'Hara, tho.

Yeah I know he's great man. Time is my main problem whenever O'Hara flick is showing on Cinema One. Even Peque look up to his  TATLONG TAONG WALANG DIYOS.

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Mar 22, 2005 at 06:47 PM »
here's my ten best Filipino films not in any particular order...

HIMALA
MAYNILA SA MGA KUKO NG LIWANAG
KISAPMATA
SALOME
BAKIT BUGHAW ANG LANGIT?
MANILA BY NIGHT
TATLONG TAONG WALANG DIYOS
BABAE SA BUBUNGANG LATA
SCORPIO NIGHTS
DALAWANG PUGAD, ISANG IBON

i opted to include Dalawang Pugad in my list than Pagputi Ng Uwak.. it seemed to me that after having seen both films lately, the latter seemed so dated compared to the former which stood the test of time.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Mar 22, 2005 at 06:57 PM »
HIMALA has great visuals the long tracking shot where the prostitute (Gigi Duenas) & the photographer are talking  away from the maddening crowd of Elsa is creepy.....and of course the much talked about climactic ending shouldn't be argue about. Powerful.....brilliant.

SALOME will be on my top ten bumping BAGETS....Jo.....OT..... Laurice Guillen is being attacked right now by some people being the head of Film Development Board....
« Last Edit: Mar 22, 2005 at 07:03 PM by keating »

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Mar 22, 2005 at 07:06 PM »
HIMALA has great visuals the long tracking shot where the prostitute (Gigi Duenas) & the photographer talking  away from the maddening crowd of Elsa is creepy.....and of course the much talked about climactic ending shouldn't be argue about.

SALOME will be on my top ten bumping BAGETS....OT..... Laurice Guillen is being attacked right now by some people being the head of Film Development Board....

Salome is on my top ten for the simple reason that i think it's Guillen's best film ever! i used to admire her directorial style in films like Kasal?, Kung Ako'y Iiwan Mo, Init Sa Magdamag & Kung Mahawi Man Ang Ulap which rounds up her five best films. being the head of the Film development Board is also questionable. i cannot understand how Santa-Santita got an A rating from the CEB. i saw the movie last week in New York and i was so disappointed after watching it although i believe Jericho Rosales delivered an impressive performance in an underwritten role. this film is a perfect example of too many cooks spoiling the broth... the three writers didn't really know which direction the film was going.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Mar 22, 2005 at 07:11 PM »
I havent watch any other Laurice Guillen flicks aside from SALOME, KUNG MAHAWI MAN ANG ULAP, TANGING YAMAN. She can deliver a story though.

We still have to listen to her story Jo why she didn't abstain from the Cinema Evaluation Board on rating her own film....and the junkets that she used abroad while promoting BABAE SA BREAKWATER is being questioned also by a member of the Film Academy of the phils. Unfortunately the letter landed on my own office table.  ;)

But I still believe she has the credentials and qualified to save the ailing Philippine cinema.
« Last Edit: Mar 22, 2005 at 07:14 PM by keating »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Mar 23, 2005 at 08:07 AM »
Yeah I know he's great man. Time is my main problem whenever O'Hara flick is showing on Cinema One. Even Peque look up to his  TATLONG TAONG WALANG DIYOS.

Not just Tatlong Taong--in my book the greatest Filipino film ever made--but also The Fatima Buen Story, Bulaklak sa City Jail, Condemned, Halimaw sa Banga, Mortal, Babae sa Bubungang Lata, Pangarap ng Puso and Sisa (tho the Cinema One version will be cut (tho I do remember a screening where Sisa was shown uncut--female pubic hair on Cinema One!), Mga Bilanggong Birhen (which I prefer over Oro, Plata), and the wonderful, wonderful Kastilyong Buhangin.
« Last Edit: Mar 23, 2005 at 08:11 AM by Noel_Vera »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Mar 23, 2005 at 09:53 AM »
How could I drop down on my lists Bernal's MANILA BY NIGHT ? It should be on Top 5.

Manila is so dirty after seeing it and the denizens of the night explode perfectly in this Bernal classic....... the house of the family of the late Charito Solis was the same house used by Bernal in the Pridyeder episode of SRR.
« Last Edit: Mar 23, 2005 at 10:03 AM by keating »

Offline wedge

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Scott me up, beamie!
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Mar 23, 2005 at 11:09 AM »
Okay, let's see. This, also, in no order of preference except that they are what i think worth mentioning:

Itim
Tinimbang Ka't Ngunit Kulang
Kisapmata
Tatlong Taong Walang Diyos
Ganito Kami Noon, Paano Kayo Ngayon?
Maynila sa Kuko ng Liwanag
Babae sa Bubungang Lata
Kapit sa Patalim
anything Tito, Vic and Joey (haha, i know someone will get me for this, but still i think they are the vanguard of the 80s comedy- - -which i could still remember vividly, kapanahunan ko kasi hehe).

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Mar 23, 2005 at 02:15 PM »
good to see bubungang lata on your list.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Mar 23, 2005 at 06:55 PM »
Okay, let's see. This, also, in no order of preference except that they are what i think worth mentioning:

Itim
Tinimbang Ka't Ngunit Kulang
Kisapmata
Tatlong Taong Walang Diyos
Ganito Kami Noon, Paano Kayo Ngayon?
Maynila sa Kuko ng Liwanag
Babae sa Bubungang Lata
Kapit sa Patalim
anything Tito, Vic and Joey (haha, i know someone will get me for this, but still i think they are the vanguard of the 80s comedy- - -which i could still remember vividly, kapanahunan ko kasi hehe).

if you don't mind wedge.....what TVJ flick is worth mentioning or the best among the crop.....FORWARD MARCH, ISKUL BUKOL, SUPER WAN TU TRI...... ???  ;)

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Mar 23, 2005 at 07:11 PM »
I havent watch any other Laurice Guillen flicks aside from SALOME, KUNG MAHAWI MAN ANG ULAP, TANGING YAMAN. She can deliver a story though.

We still have to listen to her story Jo why she didn't abstain from the Cinema Evaluation Board on rating her own film....and the junkets that she used abroad while promoting BABAE SA BREAKWATER is being questioned also by a member of the Film Academy of the phils. Unfortunately the letter landed on my own office table.  ;)

But I still believe she has the credentials and qualified to save the ailing Philippine cinema.

i thought Tanging Yaman was so pretentious...  her ability to translate a good script into a great film is unquestionable although sometimes she gets carried away by the material like what happened with Santa-Santita or even Tanging Yaman. don't get me wrong, i do believe in her talent... she is in fact one of our best directors.

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Mar 23, 2005 at 07:16 PM »
How could I drop down on my lists Bernal's MANILA BY NIGHT ? It should be on Top 5.

Manila is so dirty after seeing it and the denizens of the night explode perfectly in this Bernal classic....... the house of the family of the late Charito Solis was the same house used by Bernal in the Pridyeder episode of SRR.

oh the house... it was also the same one used in Bagets (where Jobelle Salvador lived), Minsan, May Isang Ina (William Martinez' house), Sharon & Charito's  in Cross My Heart although i'm not sure whether the one in the Pridyider episode of Shake, Rattle & Roll was the same house... if you'd notice it was located in a nice subdivision.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Mar 23, 2005 at 07:24 PM »
oh the house... it was also the same one used in Bagets (where Jobelle Salvador lived), Minsan, May Isang Ina (William Martinez' house), Sharon & Charito's  in Cross My Heart although i'm not sure whether the one in the Pridyider episode of Shake, Rattle & Roll was the same house... if you'd notice it was located in a nice subdivision.

yup its the same house Jo......I noticed it when Charito Solis came out in SRR screaming outside.....you can't notice it at first because the atmosphere inside was rather dark and creepy.

is it somewhere in QC kaya?

Laurice Guillen's AMERICAN ADOBO was disastrous, still have to watch SANTA SANTITA.
« Last Edit: Mar 23, 2005 at 07:31 PM by keating »

Offline wedge

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Scott me up, beamie!
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Mar 23, 2005 at 07:41 PM »
good to see bubungang lata on your list.

thanks noel. hehe. yup, good thing i saw a vhs copy of this film at a closing-day sale of a video shop noon. and it's a good buy. i've seen snippets of it in Cinema One a few years back, so I decided to get a copy of it na rin and napanood ko rin cia ng buo. it's a nice film din, even my wife sat through it.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Mar 23, 2005 at 07:49 PM »
Not just Tatlong Taong--in my book the greatest Filipino film ever made--but also The Fatima Buen Story, Bulaklak sa City Jail, Condemned, Halimaw sa Banga, Mortal, Babae sa Bubungang Lata, Pangarap ng Puso and Sisa (tho the Cinema One version will be cut (tho I do remember a screening where Sisa was shown uncut--female pubic hair on Cinema One!), Mga Bilanggong Birhen (which I prefer over Oro, Plata), and the wonderful, wonderful Kastilyong Buhangin.

Noel was Alma not wasted on MGA BILANGGONG BIRHEN, is it really good?

Sounds like Peter Weir's PICNIC AT HANGING ROCK......the movie I mean.
« Last Edit: Mar 23, 2005 at 07:50 PM by keating »

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Mar 23, 2005 at 08:45 PM »
yup its the same house Jo......I noticed it when Charito Solis came out in SRR screaming outside.....you can't notice it at first because the atmosphere inside was rather dark and creepy.

is it somewhere in QC kaya?

Laurice Guillen's AMERICAN ADOBO was disastrous, still have to watch SANTA SANTITA.

what i noticed was that the gate of the house in Shake was on the left side of the frame whereas in Manila By Night it was at the right side of the frame the same as in the other three films i mentioned.

i did enjoy American Adobo... far better than Tanging Ina.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Mar 24, 2005 at 11:02 AM »
what i noticed was that the gate of the house in Shake was on the left side of the frame whereas in Manila By Night it was at the right side of the frame the same as in the other three films i mentioned.

i did enjoy American Adobo... far better than Tanging Ina.

That's what I remember man. I could be wrong maybe its about time to watch again my vhs of Shake Rattle & Roll 1.

And hey thanks again for the bunch of dvds Jo. I'll finish my backlog until Saturday.  ;)

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Mar 24, 2005 at 11:10 AM »
Noel was Alma not wasted on MGA BILANGGONG BIRHEN, is it really good?

Sounds like Peter Weir's PICNIC AT HANGING ROCK......the movie I mean.

Heck no; it has no pretenses, unlike Weir's overblown 'experimental' film.

Alma has a small part; she's effective enough. The real protagonists are Mario Montenegro, Leroy Salvador, and, believe it or not, Armida Siguion-Reyna, who is wonderful and, believe it or not, quite beautiful in it--I mean, she practically glows. ;D

It's beautifully shot (one of Romy Vitug's best works), extravagantly produced, and quite lyrical. And it looks with equal measures of sympathy and skepticism at both upper and lower classes, unlike Oro, Plata, which tended to demonize the lower classes.

Sure, you got Ronnie Lazaro, but he feels more like a mythical figure (his name is Hermes, right?) than a real person. In Bilanggong Birhen, you feel the full weight, nobility, and flaws of all the characters, upper and lower classes.

O'Hara disowns it; he was fired near the end of shooting, and he walked away. Romy Suzara finished postroduction, and it shows: the editing is off by about a mile (every O'Hara film has precise editing--every one of them). Flawed, heavily, but still, it's great, great, great.

Nick Deocampo once said Raymond Red was around the age of O'Hara when he directed Sakay (Red was 28; O'Hara 31), which is roughly the same time period (American Occupation), tho O'Hara's production was far more elaborate. Deocampo thought O'Hara did a far better job than Red ever did.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Mar 24, 2005 at 11:40 AM »
Romy Vitug always captured the beauty and glows of cinematography but Rody Lacap also did great in Oro. I agree with you regarding Oro's flaws it lies heavily on Joey Reyes' script like the conflict between the two classes, but then it will not reaped the accolades if Melchor (Abbo dela Cruz) didn't massacre the entire household in the MATA section, the disapperance of some of the characters was another flaw but Gallaga's panoramic design of the aristocracy's decline which suggests the title was told effectively.

And the mythical figure yeah fantasy blends also in the movie....I wonder what was the name of the underworld character of Kuh Ledesma?

So BILANGGONG BIRHEN was also a period epic, Noel? And Armida I think she's beautiful also when she's not singing.  ;D

I'm now curious to see it. Thanks for all the info about the movie. But then Mario O' Hara shot the film 90% right? Why he disowns it?
« Last Edit: Mar 24, 2005 at 11:48 AM by keating »

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Twitter: @indieboi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #23 on: Mar 24, 2005 at 12:07 PM »
Here are my ten films. It's not at all comprehensive because I know I've forgotten some really wonderful gems. Also, I haven't seen as many Filipino films as I want to (blame it on a lack of sources for these films), or totally forgot if I've seen them (blame it on poor memory) that's why I have no De Leons (saw his unfinished work but it's vague to me), Silos (missed seeing Biyaya ng Lupa) or O'Haras (only have a vague recollection of Bagong Hari. Loved Bakit Bughaw ang Langit but I know that this is not his best work) in my list. Incomplete as it is, here's my top ten list:

Pagdating Sa Dulo
Maynila... Sa Kuko ng Liwanag
Itim
Kakabakabakaba
Manila By Night
Himala
Salome
Scorpio Nights
Private Show
Portrait of a Filipino as an Artist

« Last Edit: Mar 24, 2005 at 12:09 PM by indie boi »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Mar 24, 2005 at 12:10 PM »
Was it ascending or descending order indie boi?

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Mar 24, 2005 at 12:25 PM »
No particular order pre.  :)

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Mar 24, 2005 at 01:27 PM »
indie, you haven't seen Init sa Magdamag? My favorite Guillen, even over Salome.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Mar 24, 2005 at 01:35 PM »
So BILANGGONG BIRHEN was also a period epic, Noel? And Armida I think she's beautiful also when she's not singing.  ;D

I'm now curious to see it. Thanks for all the info about the movie. But then Mario O' Hara shot the film 90% right? Why he disowns it?

Oro Plata is a masterpiece of design and cinematography, I'll give it that much.

Mario disowns it because he didn't edit it. Editing is perhaps the most unique stage in filmmaking--there's nothing like it in the other arts. Kubrick goes so far as to say he sometimes thinks he shoots films in order to have something to edit.

Editing marks a film as surely as camera moves or overall emotional tone marks many a master filmmaker. Some of the greatest filmmakers--Kurosawa, Fellini, Griffith, Ford, O'Hara, De Leon (Mike and Gerry both), Ad Castillo--show a mastery of editing. It's not a matter of quick cuts; sometimes knowing when to sustain a shot is as important, or more so, and sometimes editing an ordinary dialogue scene is more difficult than editing an action scene (which is why Michael Bay is so recognizably not a master  ;D).

Peque I'd say knows how to edit, on the basis of the final shootout in Oro. I just think he needs a better scriptwriter, or a film that doesn't need a strong script (which is why I think Scorpio Nights is the far better film).

I like to say I know if a filmmaker knows what he's doing during when I see how the first five minutes of the film is cut. I usually get it right (or if not right, I at least know the filmmaker has some skill).

O'Hara did not edit Mga Bilanggong Birhen. It's not totally his film, but there are many things in it that are recognizably his--the tone, the shots, the performances.
« Last Edit: Mar 24, 2005 at 01:38 PM by Noel_Vera »

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Mar 24, 2005 at 01:44 PM »
Oh, I do remember Init sa Magdamag. Unfortunately that's one of the movies that I never got to see. I never got access to a VHS copy and my mom wouldn't let me watch it on TV then because of the steamy scenes with Lorna Tolentino. I loved the premise of that film though. I hope to find a copy of Init... and all the other Filipino films I've missed.

Oh, let me add to my ten (syempre hindi na top ten, hehe):

1. Pagputi ng Uwak, Pag-Itim ng Tagak (I think the only Vilma Santos movie I really really liked, and Celso Kid's camera work here is just divine)
2. Bayaning Third World (De Leon and satire is always a perfect mix)

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Mar 24, 2005 at 01:55 PM »
Ricky Lee is one of our best scriptwriters churning out great films by the late Lino Brocka & Ishmael Bernal even penned the classic MORAL by Marilou Diaz Abaya but didn't work with Peque though.

Did O'Hara worked with Ricky before Noel?

Pagputi ng uwak that's still on my wish lists indie.
« Last Edit: Mar 24, 2005 at 01:56 PM by keating »