Author Topic: Pinoy Television in the 1970s and the 1980s  (Read 38355 times)

Offline ralfy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • I am the Mountie!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Pinoy TV schedules during the '70s and '80s
« Reply #60 on: Nov 27, 2005 at 01:32 AM »
I hope they make it ad-driven and open to the public. See

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/4434496.stm

http://www.boingboing.net/2005/11/14/aol_ups_planned_free.html

Whooha, that's nice! Tamang-tama, I'l be upgrading to broadband next year so, ... wait a minute! I guess this in2TV site requires a subscription fee...! (sa-id ang pera ko dito... ???)

Offline viper

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • i took the money and ran . . . . but now I'm back
  • Liked:
« Reply #61 on: Jul 14, 2006 at 12:06 AM »
don t know if this has been mentioned, pero what about tito pepe's clubhouse 9?
i remember fondly the go-kart(?) race.  grade one pa lang ako nun...

Yung sigaw ni Tito Peps:

"Ready.....Get Set......  Go...ma!"
Mag-Kikinder pa lang ako nung napanood ko yun sa Channel 9 usually mga 6pm yata (I remember bago kami kumain sa gabi, yun ang palabas)

Offline d4nu65+3R

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • "i'm real when it's useful."
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #62 on: Jul 14, 2006 at 08:49 AM »
Yung sigaw ni Tito Peps:

"Ready.....Get Set......  Go...ma!"
Mag-Kikinder pa lang ako nung napanood ko yun sa Channel 9 usually mga 6pm yata (I remember bago kami kumain sa gabi, yun ang palabas)

i remember asar na asar ako nun when the shows on channel nine, cartoons of course, where pre empted by marcos' simulcast telecast on all channels.  like what first grader would like to listen to his rants back then?  tapos pag katapos nung speeches niya, you had to contend with the wait till your father gets home cartoon.  which, in the day, was not so cool for a first grader to watch dahil it's too talky.  although i can still sing the theme's chorus

Offline viper

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #63 on: Jul 14, 2006 at 12:18 PM »
. . . .  you had to contend with the wait till your father gets home cartoon.  which, in the day, was not so cool for a first grader to watch dahil it's too talky.  although i can still sing the theme's chorus

I think it was an adult cartoon considering the characters the stories in each episode

Offline kimpOy

• DVD Guru
  • make your own road!
  • Liked:
« Reply #64 on: Jul 14, 2006 at 01:28 PM »
great space coaster, gary gnu he..he saturday morning

friday night voltes V night

pba with smokin' joe cantada at channel 4  tuesday, thursday and sunday

mom's falcon crest  channel 7 friday din yata ito

T.O.D.A.S. wednesday night 730pm Channel 13

John & Marsha Friday night RPN 9

late 80s/early 90s alam ko eto pattern ng channel 2
7:30-8pm    News
8pm to 9:30 program (Maricel Drama, tuesday)
9:30-10        Palibhasa Lalake
10                News ulit

unlike ngayon sankatutak na teleserye, koreanobela, chinovela, fantaserye at may gameshow pa

Offline Munskie

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: Jul 14, 2006 at 01:49 PM »
unlike ngayon sankatutak na teleserye, koreanobela, chinovela, fantaserye at may gameshow pa
and no permanent time sked, so they can load the top raters with ads... ;D

Offline xeqtionr

• Collector
  • ALL your BASE are BELONG to US...
  • Liked:
« Reply #66 on: Jul 24, 2006 at 07:00 PM »
great space coaster, gary gnu he..he saturday morning

Always remember, NO GNEWS IS GOOD GNEWS...WITH... G A R Y  G N U !!!

Screws fall off everytime. The world is an imperfect place...

Offline sardaukar

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • DVD Guru
  • Don't Panic!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #67 on: Jul 30, 2006 at 03:02 PM »
If I remember correctly, weekdays at 6:00 was Battle of the Planets (or G-Force) followed by a robot cartoon.

Mondays - Mekanda
Tuesdays - Daimos
Wednesdays - UFO Grendizer
Thursdays - Dangard Ace
Fridays - Voltes V

Tama ba ko? Not too sure of Wednesday and Thursday. Was this on ch. 9?

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #68 on: Jul 30, 2006 at 05:17 PM »
Tama ba ko? Not too sure of Wednesday and Thursday. Was this on ch. 9?

Well, you know which days you're wrong about.  ;D

Mondays: Mekanda Robot ("Mekanda, Mekanda, Mekanda Robo... La la la la la la la!")

Tuesday: Daimos ("Richard!" "Erikaaaaaa!!!")

Wednesdays: Mazinger Z (Koji Kabuto and Aphrodite A with the missile boobs  ;D)

Thursdays: Grendaizer (Ummm... no trivia. This one I didn't watch, miraculously)

Friday: Voltes V ("Let's volt in!")

They were on Channel 7.

Channel 9 had Balatack, Danguard Ace... and the live-action precursor to the Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers: Star Rangers!
« Last Edit: Jul 30, 2006 at 05:18 PM by Mr. Hankey »
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline sardaukar

• Kagawad
  • DVD Guru
  • Don't Panic!
  • Liked:
« Reply #69 on: Jul 31, 2006 at 01:01 PM »
I can't believe I forgot about Mazinger Z. Shame! Particularly because I have the Voltes V / Mazinger Z LP. ;D

Speaking of Star Rangers, I found the opening sequence on YouTube. Cheesy!
« Last Edit: Jul 31, 2006 at 05:31 PM by Mr. Hankey »

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Twitter: @indieboi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #70 on: Jul 31, 2006 at 03:25 PM »
Great link Sardaukar! Would you also know the link to the old JAK-Q series?

Offline sardaukar

• Kagawad
  • DVD Guru
  • Don't Panic!
  • Liked:
« Reply #71 on: Jul 31, 2006 at 06:55 PM »
Sorry, couldn't find it on YouTube. :(

Offline yamota

• Collector
  • Digging deeper
  • Liked:
« Reply #72 on: Aug 01, 2006 at 12:44 AM »
I remember sumali kami sa Tito Pepe show one day nung bata pa kami ng mga utol at pinsan ko. Member kasi ng Tito Pepe club yung isang pinsan ko at nung birthday niya, kaming mga bata ng buong pamilya ang contestants. Late 70s pa yata nun. Wala pang betamax so hindi namin na-tape. Meron pa kayang kopya ang RPN 9 nun?

Offline ralfy

• DVD Guru
  • I am the Mountie!
  • Liked:
« Reply #73 on: Aug 03, 2006 at 01:05 AM »
Was Balatack on Monday (or Sunday), Channel 9, and Danguard Ace Saturday afternoons on Channel 4? I also remember watching Gaiking once. How about Starblazer? Channel 13? And the non-robot Japanese cartoons like Woody the Wooden Doll and my sister's favorite, Heidi?

How about Mario and the Magic Something Machine (Channel 2?), Filmation shows (including those shown in the Cartoon Network spoofs) on Channel 9 (?), together with the Saturday afternoon programs (were they on Saturday? Isis, Shazam, Sigmund the Seamonster) competing with Leonard Nimoy's mystery show (Channel 2?). I also remember some NFL programs (e.g., Raiders vs. Redskins), roller derby and wrestling (I remember watching one of the von Erick brothers, Hawaii-based wrestling with the Purple Haze and Don Muraco) on Channel 13, and documentaries like "Cosmos" and "World at War" on Channel 9.

What's the title of the Japanese cartoon about the princess, a large spaceship, and three young men on smaller ships?

For Pinoy shows, I remember Prinsipe Abante (did it star Bert Marcelo, and based on the older Prinsipe Amante radio program?), Uncle Bob's Lucky 7 Club (Sunday mornings? found out that Uncle Bob used to own the company from which GMA was formed), some sitcoms that are still being shown on Channel 9 (which I have not seen for some time due to the proliferation of cable channels; esp. John en Marsha which they showed briefly after Nida Blanca's and Dely Atay-Atayan's demise, and I think the sitcom with Quizon and Redford White) and Channel 13 (Iskul Bukol a few years ago).

About AOL TV, has anyone been able to view some of the shows. I can't but I was able to download a high-quality versions of the first episode of "Eight is Enough", though (DRM-protected); I didn't continue because I became impatient (I just wanted to view the streaming version).

Offline xeqtionr

• Collector
  • ALL your BASE are BELONG to US...
  • Liked:
« Reply #74 on: Aug 04, 2006 at 05:50 PM »
What's the title of the Japanese cartoon about the princess, a large spaceship, and three young men on smaller ships?

The Spaceketeers!!!

Is this what you're asking for?

Screws fall off everytime. The world is an imperfect place...

Offline deweyfinn

• DVD Guru
  • ...still kickin' arse....
  • Liked:
« Reply #75 on: Aug 04, 2006 at 09:16 PM »
The Spaceketeers!!!

Is this what you're asking for?

Maybe you mean Starzinger - Leiji (Galaxy Express 999, Intastella 5555) Matsumoto's space-operatic adaptation of the Sengoku fable.

Offline saling-pusa

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #76 on: Aug 12, 2006 at 07:29 PM »
Oras ng Ligaya  ;Dfrom 6 to 7PM..Monday to Friday Channel 3 and then became Channel 2.
Flash Gordon  :-*from 530 to 6PM..Monday to Friday Channel 7?
Five Million Dollar Movies  :'(from 9 to 11PM Monday to Friday Channel 5?
The Sensation, Sundays Channel 2, 5 to 7PM
Superstar, Sundays Channel 9??

Offline ralfy

• DVD Guru
  • I am the Mountie!
  • Liked:
« Reply #77 on: Aug 19, 2006 at 11:59 PM »
I can't remember Flash Gordon (I grew up with Japanese cartoons during those time slots) and Channel 5 was gone by then. I do remember watching My Favorite Martian Saturday mornings (I think the afternoon was filled with Sigmund, etc., Shazam, the Mighty Isis, and so forth). Was My Favorite Martian on Channel 5? Also, dad used to watch Hopalong Cassidy and the Lone Ranger (did they show the latter on Channel 13 later?). There was also Showcase (Channel 13), shown during those hot afternoons, but I can't remember if they showed Rockford Files after that or only during the evenings.

Where did they show the Logan's Run series? I also remember watching the Planet of the Apes TV series. There was also Land of the Giants, the Time Tunnel, etc.

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #78 on: Aug 20, 2006 at 03:21 PM »
Was My Favorite Martian on Channel 5?

9 yata yung live action. Not sure what channel showed the cartoon version.

Where did they show the Logan's Run series?

I also remember watching the Planet of the Apes TV series.

7. Got the DVD already.

There was also Land of the Giants, the Time Tunnel, etc.

Land of the Giants not yet on home video. Both volumes of The Time Tunnel are on sale at Amazon for almost 50% off, so I ordered them last week.  ;D
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline ralfy

• DVD Guru
  • I am the Mountie!
  • Liked:
« Reply #79 on: Jan 23, 2007 at 10:50 PM »
Here's something interesting. U.S. television has http://www.tvparty.com. For the Philippines, I found

http://nostalgiamanila.blogspot.com

Offline yamota

• Collector
  • Digging deeper
  • Liked:
« Reply #80 on: Jan 24, 2007 at 03:54 AM »
I remember "Penthouse Live!" was on sunday nights, then the following monday morning we would be talking about it at school

Offline ralfy

• DVD Guru
  • I am the Mountie!
  • Liked:
« Reply #81 on: Jan 25, 2007 at 04:41 PM »
Just curious: what did you talk about concerning the show? I was in primary school then, but what I remember talking about was Three's Company and The Benny Hill Show. I also did remember watching some seventh graders copying Jojo A and the Tigers. I also can't remember much, but I think I'd sneak downstairs to watch Tales of the Unexpected.

I remember "Penthouse Live!" was on sunday nights, then the following monday morning we would be talking about it at school

Offline viper

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #82 on: Jun 22, 2007 at 03:14 PM »
Was Balatack on Monday (or Sunday), Channel 9, and Danguard Ace Saturday afternoons on Channel 4?

I think danguard ace is also on RPN 9 then. It was a battle between RPN 9 and GMA having daily japanese cartoons right before primetime evenings.

Offline ralfy

• DVD Guru
  • I am the Mountie!
  • Liked:
« Reply #83 on: Jul 31, 2007 at 09:24 PM »
Here's something I found via Nostalgia Manila: look for Adman1909 and Fiscaplyder's videos in Youtube to see various Pinoy ads from the past.

Offline ralfy

• DVD Guru
  • I am the Mountie!
  • Liked:
« Reply #84 on: Aug 16, 2007 at 01:32 AM »
Here's a web log containing essays about Philippine television during the '70s and '80s:

http://nilabaricantupaz.blogspot.com/

Offline ralfy

• DVD Guru
  • I am the Mountie!
  • Liked:
« Reply #85 on: Jan 14, 2008 at 03:09 PM »
Cross-posted in other threads:

video48.blogspot.com

nostalgiamanila.blogspot.com

Offline ralfy

• DVD Guru
  • I am the Mountie!
  • Liked:
« Reply #86 on: Jan 16, 2008 at 02:13 PM »

Offline deweyfinn

• DVD Guru
  • ...still kickin' arse....
  • Liked:
« Reply #87 on: Jan 18, 2008 at 11:12 PM »
I think it was an adult cartoon considering the characters the stories in each episode

Yep...it was the Simpsons of its day

Offline taurus_cute

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #88 on: Jan 19, 2008 at 03:05 AM »
I WON'T comment on the precise schedules because what's the point anyway of bringing it up, what's essential are the show themselves and the way we were. My most resonating memory on the choices timeslot for me then is between 10 am to 12 pm in 1981. Thats the time where one finds CAFETERIA AROMA with the late APENG DALDAL (no other comedy show has topped this one obscure laughter-fest in my book). By 11 am, I switched the channel to RPN 9 to get mystified by IN SEARCH OF.... - an investigative program on the supernatural, the strange, the weird, the unexplained. It talks of such topics like UFOs, ancient astronauts, magic, the occult, missing persons, Fortean phenomenas, and some such weirdness. By 12 pm, most Filipinos doesn't have much TV choice then but to choose between two main variety shows, STUDENT CANTEEN & EAT BULAGA. The Eat Bulaga trio is the certified progenitor of vulgarity, swardspeak, street/kanto language, bawdy/double entendre songs and scoundrel behavior on TV. They even raped a poor "bold" starlet named PEPSI PALOMA in around 1985 of which they were haled to court, but the case has been pending for the last 23 or so years - NEVER DISMISSED - because, one, Paloma has committed suicide shortly thererafter because of the trauma and her inability to gain justice; and two, as a result of Paloma's death, then lawyer RENE CAYETANO who represented her pro bono, could not effectively pressed for the case. The "ungas" trio also has powerful backers & connections. But in the second quarter of 1981, Eat Bulaga, amidst the execrable characters of its hosts, has given me an embarrassing source of pleasure - the CARRIBEAN DISCO SHOW DANCE CONTEST. This is that obscure, totally-forgotten-in-time, short-lived dance contest where a lovely lady dances with smoldering Latina flourish to the tune of Lobo's "Carribean Disco Show Medley." Remember that? "Come Mr. Tally Man, Tally the Banana, Daylight Come & We Wanna Go Home...." I even skipped school just to catch that contest during its entire season run. It was just a hilarious contest, nothing more nothing less. But two decades later, I came to realized that what those ladies were doing is copy the 1950s Argentinian star CARMEN MIRANDA in her exaggerated customes and choreography, the only thing they skipped doing is to quote Miranda's famous line, "Banana is my business." At the very least the contest has a vague Broadway/Hollywood pedigree or at least pretensions. Today, Eat Bulaga still holds dance contests - but the inspirations is borned out more by the shameful Japayuki and burlesque cultures.
On early evenings, you catch CHAMPOY with Subas & Noel. Very well-written & thought-out jokes & skits, no green, bawdy stuff. Just decent, dignified laughter inducers that doesn't resort to the toilet or the bodoir. In our province by the time Champoy airs, we can't view it anymore in color because the voltage steps down to 150watts and when that happens the TV becomes momentarily black & white with distorted signals. By 7 pm, all channels air the news - and that's actually a decree by President Marcos. I had no problem with that, 7 pm primetime just seemed to be the best time to air the news.
On Friday late evenings in the same years (1981 to around 1984) if I remember it right, the most anticipated program I hold unto is AMERICAN CHAMPIONSHIP WRESTLING. It begins around 10 pm, right after reruns of the 1960's AVENGERS. I remember closely the grapplers of old: Tony Atlas, Andre The Giant, Pedro Morales, Antonio Inoke and many other superstars.
Thats how I remember the old TV timeslots. And I also got my Spiderman drawing printed inside the pages of the TV GUIDE. The old days were indeed better.....

Offline ralfy

• DVD Guru
  • I am the Mountie!
  • Liked:
« Reply #89 on: Jan 20, 2008 at 08:27 PM »
I can actually find the exact schedules (which includes the number of seasons and other details) by just looking at old newspapers at the uni lib but I'm too lazy to do that at the moment. It's very interesting to look not only at the schedules but at other details because they add more to my memories. For example, I do remember seeing Wednesday as an important day, but I don't know if it was because Starsky and Hutch was shown on that day. The strange thing, though, is that I saw several episodes but can hardly remember the show today. I do remember SWAT, though, and I think it was shown weekend afternoons on Channel 2. Finally, they might help those who want to add more details on Pinoy shows in www.imdb.com, where I could not not find an entry for "Eh Kasi Babae".

What influenced me to create this and other threads is http://www.tvparty.com. Now there are similar sites for Pinoy entertainment like video48.blogspot.com and nostalgiamanila.blogspot.com. And I just found another when I was looking for information on Cafeteria Aroma (thanks for sharing that!) at

http://telebisyon.net

Check out the entry at

http://telebisyon.net/serye/Cafeteria-Aroma/detalye/29/

and the comments.

I didn't realize that "In Search of..." was on Channel 9, and I remember watching it during the early afternoon. I also wonder if Saturday programming followed what was done in the U.S., i.e., show programs mostly for kids. My earliest moment I remember watching TV was "My Favorite Martian" on Channel 5 (probably) around mid-morning (I think). It was a large Radio-something or Wealth-something TV with a wooden curtain that could cover the screen and vacuum tubes inside the set. I only got to see watch color TV only in the late '70s, it was a small set in a neighbor's house.

About Eat Bulaga, I think I remember one of the first times it was shown on Channel 9. Was it the one where Chiqui Hollman celebrated her birthday? I'm not sure but was Richie da Horsie also a co-host? What's with the "Ahas! Sawa!" expression? And did they have a nunchuk contest in this program or was it in Student Canteen?

I'm not sure about the Carribean disco show: did all of the contestants wear plastic fruits on their head or something like that? Did this take place during the same period when Dance Fever was shown on Channel 7?

I definitely remember Champoy but I can't remember if it was shown during the same years as Kaluskos Musmos.

I definitely remember the news programs: it was Harry Gasser on Channel 9 (I just found out that Newswatch was shown for nearly 50 years!). Was it Tina Palma on Channel 7? Who was on Channel 4? I also can't remember if commercials were shown. I'm not sure, but I think these were not allowed because the government argued that news was supposed to be a free public service offered by broadcasters. Finally, I'm reminded of Ariel Ureta and the statement, “Sa ikauunlad ng bayan, bisikleta ang kailangan.” In which program did this take place?

I remember wrestling shows on Channel 13 but not the times or days of the week. Maybe it was Friday since were were shown as late as 10 pm, and I could only stay up late outside school nights. (The exception, I think, was Sunday, where I was allowed to watch "Three's Company" and "The Benny Hill Show" on Channel 7. I remember sneaking down later to watch "Tales of the Unexpected.") I still remember Vince McMahon wearing a blue suit and Jake "the Snake" Roberts wrestling in jogging pants for one show and The Purple Haze, Don Muraco, and others for Hawaii-based wrestling. I think they showed something with one of the von Erichs and the wrestler who later used a two-by-two in Channel 2 (I think).