Author Topic: THX Certified DVD'S:Whats the difference with those non THX certified?  (Read 22011 times)

Offline dexterc

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • CISCO Certified
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 251
Can anyone elaborate please??  Thanks!!

Offline benny

• Konsehal
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Just a quick link:

The THX Digital Mastering Program

"THX is like the Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval. It certifies that the product performs to a rigorously high standard that makes sense. THX provides the confidence and reassurance a consumer needs in a purchasing decision."
- Promotional quote from the THX web site (Steve Baker, V.P. Sales & Marketing, Denon Electronics)

"(Our) goal in DVD mastering is to preserve the subtle nuances of sound and picture that would bring the home viewing experience as close as possible to the 35mm film experience in a THX certified cinema." -  Promotional quote from the THX web site
« Last Edit: Nov 10, 2002 at 03:21 AM by benny »

Offline benny

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Last Edit: Nov 10, 2002 at 03:27 AM by benny »

Offline dexterc

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • CISCO Certified
  • Liked:
Thanks bro..... ;)

Offline bently

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
the 1st highlander director's cut release dvd had a thx certification but it was one of the worst transfers on dvd, heck the vhs version even looked better. :-\
.·´ `·. . ><((((º> . .·´ `·. . .·´ `·. . <º))))><
.·´ `·. . .·´ `·. . ><((((º> .·´ `·. . .·´ `·. . .
·. . .·´ `·. . .><((((º>.·´ `·. . .·´ `·. . .·´ `·. .

Offline tuff_u_gong

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • DVD Addict
  • emancipate yourselves from mental slavery!
  • Liked:
the 1st highlander director's cut release dvd had a thx certification but it was one of the worst transfers on dvd, heck the vhs version even looked better. :-\

i though THX was just an audio format...video din pala?

Offline Kahon

• Konsehal
  • DVD Guru
  • Hmpppp!!!!
  • Liked:

i though THX was just an audio format...video din pala?

It's not a format, it's a certification.  You can have THX together with DD, DTS, PCM, etc.

Offline Courage

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
Ahhh ganun pala yun..
Walang Setup

Offline Courage

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
Does this means like for example yung True Lies na R1 eh sounds better kasi Certified sya nang THX kes dun sa R3 counterpart nya ne hindi THX certified?
Walang Setup

Offline tuff_u_gong

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:

i thought THX was just an audio format...video din pala?

It's not a format, it's a certification.  You can have THX together with DD, DTS, PCM, etc.

Hi Kahon!

OK, but is it a certification for audio or video or both?

by the way, i'm just curious: can you name some titles that are available in DTS format and also THX certified star wars episodes I and II are thx certified but are not available in in DTS format, right?

thanks!

Offline Kings

• DVD Guru
  • ???
  • Liked:
Quote from: tuff_u_gong

by the way, i'm just curious: can you name some titles that are available in DTS format and also THX certified star wars episodes I and II are thx certified but are not available in in DTS format, right?

thanks!

Bro,

One title that comes to mind is Planet of the Apes Special Edition R1. Not only does it have a DTS track, it is also THX certified.

What's great about it is that it has some THX setup tests in the Specail Features section !! I've tried it and it does work.

:)

Offline dexterc

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • CISCO Certified
  • Liked:
Quote from: tuff_u_gong

thanks!

Bro,

One title that comes to mind is Planet of the Apes Special Edition R1. Not only does it have a DTS track, it is also THX certified.

What's great about it is that it has some THX setup tests in the Specail Features section !! I've tried it and it does work.

yup THX setup really works.My die hard with a vengeance and Speed 5 star collection are also THX Certified

Offline tuff_u_gong

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
hi Kings and dexterc!

thanks for the list guys!

sorry kung makulit: is THX a certification for audio or video or both?

Offline Kings

• DVD Guru
  • ???
  • Liked:
BOTH :)

Offline Kahon

• Konsehal
  • DVD Guru
  • Hmpppp!!!!
  • Liked:
hi Kings and dexterc!

thanks for the list guys!

sorry kung makulit: is THX a certification for audio or video or both?

If you read their website carefully, THX is for video.  It was not intended to certtify audio-only sources, but video on VHS, LD and DVD.

It also certifies theaters and equipment.
« Last Edit: Nov 19, 2002 at 05:48 PM by Kahon »

Offline kimera

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:

i thought THX was just an audio format...video din pala?

Hi Kahon!

OK, but is it a certification for audio or video or both?

thanks!

monster's inc. collector's ed is in DD5.1, DTS5.1 and in THX

Offline tuff_u_gong

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:

If you read their website carefully, THX is for video.  It was not intended to certtify audio-only sources, but video on VHS, LD and DVD.

It also certifies theaters and equipment.

thanks kahon.

you're right, i should visit their website. also checked out my X-Men disc and noticed that apart from a 5.1 channel audio tester, it had a "video test" menu too.

Offline diesel

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
THX
« Reply #17 on: Jan 05, 2004 at 04:59 PM »
what is THX?  how is it comparable to DD and DTS?

i noticed that star wars and most disney-animated movies carry THX and not DTS.

please merge na lang with existing threads.  thanks.
how can anyone love a pebble in their shoe?

Offline TRS14

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
Re:THX
« Reply #18 on: Jan 05, 2004 at 07:46 PM »
pre, THX is just a standard not a format. i think any DD and DTS can be presented in THX. try searching the board I think meron na topic about this THX. 8)

Offline butchy

• Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Jan 06, 2004 at 08:56 PM »
Boss THX is not like DD and Dts but it is a certification of audio and video standard for any software or hardwares. It is an "enhancement" to a system. When u see a Laserdisc or DVD whether in DD or Dts decoding  with thx logo, expect a great sound and picture, but cosider also a THX certified components.

Offline diesel

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Jan 07, 2004 at 05:03 PM »
ok so a DTS-movie with THX certification is better than DTS lang?  
how can anyone love a pebble in their shoe?

Offline wrAth

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • DVD Addict
  • Simple lang, pero rock.
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Jan 08, 2004 at 01:42 PM »

I guess a movie with THX certifcation is only surely better than a version of the SAME movie without the certification. but when comparing different titles, THX is not necessarily the top of the line in its lonesome. while for sure, THX does maintain a standard of quality in determining certification, THX is not at all the Holy Grail of DVD productions.

of course, not all movies / DVDs have been reviewed for THX certification. if at all, only a small portion of all DVD releases have been reviewed for this purpose. and if there are any, they don't exactly advertise which DVDs failed THX certification.

likewise, many DVD manufacturers who don't employ the assistance of THX in the production of DVDs do excel and produce DVDs at par or even better than "THX quality". New Line, for instance, does not seek THX certification but produces top-notch DVDs, like the LOTR series, for example. the list here (click "entire list") clearly shows THX's "allegiance" with Disney/Buena Vista and Fox, among others.

the bottom line probably is to not base your purchases solely on THX certification. THX is not the ISO of the DVD industry.  ;)

« Last Edit: Jan 08, 2004 at 02:06 PM by wrAth »
Quo vadis?

Offline MiKeBiBbY

• Collector
  • This is our year...
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Jan 14, 2004 at 03:22 PM »
I guess a movie with THX certifcation is only surely better than a version of the SAME movie without the certification. but when comparing different titles, THX is not necessarily the top of the line in its lonesome. while for sure, THX does maintain a standard of quality in determining certification, THX is not at all the Holy Grail of DVD productions.

of course, not all movies / DVDs have been reviewed for THX certification. if at all, only a small portion of all DVD releases have been reviewed for this purpose. and if there are any, they don't exactly advertise which DVDs failed THX certification.

likewise, many DVD manufacturers who don't employ the assistance of THX in the production of DVDs do excel and produce DVDs at par or even better than "THX quality". New Line, for instance, does not seek THX certification but produces top-notch DVDs, like the LOTR series, for example. the list here (click "entire list") clearly shows THX's "allegiance" with Disney/Buena Vista and Fox, among others.

the bottom line probably is to not base your purchases solely on THX certification. THX is not the ISO of the DVD industry.  ;)

there you go!

i couldn't have said it any better! :)

Offline krets pulpol

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • what's your major malfunction numb nuts!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1582
« Reply #23 on: Feb 12, 2004 at 12:06 PM »
well said! thx is just a certification that a dvd or other components have met their standards.  they have their own criteria for passing their standards and not only in audio but video as well.  it doesn't stop there, they concentrate on movie theaters and custom installations in certain homes, they evaluate the acoustics of the room, proper projection of movies from lighting to hues etc.

for dvds, some of them have exceeded the thx standards even if the dvd package says it's not certified. but you can ask them to certify certain dvd titles on their website.

dts, dolby and thx do not compete with each other, dolby and thx even tied a partnership to develop dolby digital ex (an extended surround channel at the back) - surround center

for history of thx, i can post it sometime if i can get my document in my pc.

what?! are you talkin' to me!!!

Offline johndoe

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Feb 12, 2004 at 01:58 PM »
way better..there are testings done,before u can get a thx certification 8)..thats why,mahal ang mga thx recievers..

Offline jerix

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • got no golden ears...just loving music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
Re: THX
« Reply #25 on: Jul 28, 2004 at 04:15 PM »
TomlinsonHolmanXperiment

siya nga ba ang nag-conceptualized nyan?  ::)
Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Jul 29, 2004 at 12:55 PM »

way better..there are testings done,before u can get a thx certification 8)..thats why,mahal ang mga thx recievers..

THX certified equipment are expensive because they have to pay Lucas for the THX royalties.  THX is a certification process to tell the world that the product  conforms to THX standards.  A wee bit better than an ISO certication. 

But if you read many DVD reviews on the net, you'd be surprised that some reviews of THX certified DVDs don't pass at all and even questions how THX came to certify so and so lousy DVDs.  While there are laudable technical standards behind it, some on the net have opined that the THX logo has evolved into a marketing tool to better attract buyers.

For me, I don't bother at all with THX logos in DVDs. I just read technical reviews of the DVD I like to learn how a DVD release perform.  With regards amps and receivers, if I recall right, the THX minimum standard is 100wpc for power.  Hence,  there are many sub-100wpc amps that don't carry the THX logo like many HK models.  But I can assure you they sound incrementally better than some 100wpc recievers that do.  It seems to me that the THX certification is no guarantee of better sound quality.  Just an indication that the product conforms to some set of standards so they can work with other gears with the same THX certification in synergy.  That means one should use a THX-certified DVD player to connect to a THX-certified receiver to drive THX-certified speakers in order to max the synergy or to properly claim you are benefiting from a THX-certified set-up. 

Actually, to really max out the synergy, you should invite Lucas engineers, all expenses paid by you, to also certify your video set-up,  room accoustics and speaker placement as THX compliant.  ;D  The same way they certify a theater as a THX theater using only THX-certified lighting, screen, accoustics, video and audio gears.  Then you can probably max the use of THX-certified DVDs.  ;D
« Last Edit: Jul 29, 2004 at 01:13 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline nerveblocker

• Trade Count: (+98)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 247
« Reply #27 on: Jul 29, 2004 at 06:14 PM »
Having bought ang installed all of it, is it worth the tons of moolah you've invested in it? In my personal experience, when Louie's THX opened and have watched LOTR there for curiosity's sake, after watching, have to ask myself the question: "What was the big deal all about THX?"  I just noticed that the sound had a higher volume than usual and sometimes irritating and too loud. :-\

That's just me though.

Offline jerix

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • got no golden ears...just loving music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #28 on: Jul 30, 2004 at 08:11 AM »
one more mel, it seems the sound is even better at home than in those THX theaters ---  ;D
Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II

Offline krets pulpol

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • what's your major malfunction numb nuts!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1582
« Reply #29 on: Jul 30, 2004 at 10:38 AM »
hahahaha agree  ;D  the only advantage of theatres is the big screen hehe

nirv, i think when you watched at louie's thx, it has a different management.  before, louie's thx is way better than today's cinemas. 

and by the way, thx is not just being loud.  it's a synergy between your equipment, acoustics of your room, projection of movie with correct contrasts and hues, better blacks, correct balance of surrounds etc.  i think when thx approved most cinemas here they were new.  maintenance is a key factor in keeping the standards as it is.

for dvds, it doesn't have to be certified by thx for better sound and visual quality.  some releases are far better than thx certified dvds.   ;D  sira speakers mo hahaha 
what?! are you talkin' to me!!!