Author Topic: THX Certified DVD'S:Whats the difference with those non THX certified?  (Read 22013 times)

Offline nerveblocker

• Trade Count: (+98)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 247
Re: THX
« Reply #30 on: Jul 30, 2004 at 01:23 PM »
jerix-  Yup!  And you don't have to spend that much moolah to watch it.  Guess there is a psychological effect that if you are watching in a lazy boy or in bed, the sound seems to be better...it lulls you to sleep!  Haha!

Offline nerveblocker

• Trade Count: (+98)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 247
« Reply #31 on: Jul 30, 2004 at 01:25 PM »
hahahaha agree  ;D  the only advantage of theatres is the big screen hehe

nirv, i think when you watched at louie's thx, it has a different management.  before, louie's thx is way better than today's cinemas. 

If they had a different management, that meant they had different equipment not THX certified?  Hmmm seems I was robbed ???

Offline classicman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re:THX
« Reply #32 on: Jul 31, 2004 at 07:37 AM »

I guess a movie with THX certifcation is only surely better than a version of the SAME movie without the certification. but when comparing different titles, THX is not necessarily the top of the line in its lonesome. while for sure, THX does maintain a standard of quality in determining certification, THX is not at all the Holy Grail of DVD productions.

of course, not all movies / DVDs have been reviewed for THX certification. if at all, only a small portion of all DVD releases have been reviewed for this purpose. and if there are any, they don't exactly advertise which DVDs failed THX certification.

likewise, many DVD manufacturers who don't employ the assistance of THX in the production of DVDs do excel and produce DVDs at par or even better than "THX quality". New Line, for instance, does not seek THX certification but produces top-notch DVDs, like the LOTR series, for example. the list here (click "entire list") clearly shows THX's "allegiance" with Disney/Buena Vista and Fox, among others.

the bottom line probably is to not base your purchases solely on THX certification. THX is not the ISO of the DVD industry.  ;)

amen to that, boss ;D ;D ;D

Offline krets pulpol

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • what's your major malfunction numb nuts!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1582
« Reply #33 on: Aug 01, 2004 at 11:17 PM »
If they had a different management, that meant they had different equipment not THX certified?  Hmmm seems I was robbed ???

nope not necessarily, they may still have the same equipment i'm not sure but they could have maintained the state of cinemas there.  i guess the only way is to renovate the cinemas and recalibrate the equipment incl. projections.  and before, some movies were ahead the local screenings just like the advanced screenings in ayala cinemas.  and by the way, tickets were for members only, so ask if they have extra tickets before hehe
what?! are you talkin' to me!!!

Offline xage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Suspended
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: Oct 12, 2004 at 11:19 AM »

Im kinda late probably, but geez this was the film were George Lucas based his THX...

[img width=163 height=49]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b221/x

Offline bukoy

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: Jan 02, 2005 at 04:00 PM »

Im kinda late probably, but geez this was the film were George Lucas based his THX...

Tama ka dyan bro...dyan nga nya based ang THX pati nga ung visual....THX..The audience is listening. hehehe

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • More POWER to your HT! literally ...
  • Liked:
Has anyone noticed any difference in PQ or SQ of R1 THX certified DVDs and local R3 DVDs with no THX?
An example would be The Incredibles and Tarzan, The R1 has THX while the R3 does not.

Offline Quitacet

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 65
As per sir firewired's previous posts (if I remember it correctly) the R3 and R1 use the same master for DVDs. The R1 has no problem displaying it's being THX certified because they paid royalty to THX or something to that effect.

The R3 on the otherhand, though it used the same master, don't display "THX Certified" and has no THX Optimizer due to region limitation of the certification. And maybe to lower the cost of the R3 releases.

Offline Dowals

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • DVD Guru
  • Cobra Commander
  • Liked:
As per sir firewired's previous posts (if I remember it correctly) the R3 and R1 use the same master for DVDs. The R1 has no problem displaying it's being THX certified because they paid royalty to THX or something to that effect.

The R3 on the otherhand, though it used the same master, don't display "THX Certified" and has no THX Optimizer due to region limitation of the certification. And maybe to lower the cost of the R3 releases.

This might mean that the R3 Tarzan, as posted by matzter, is already THX Certified because it used the same master as the R1?

R3 minus the THX logo & optimizer?   
« Last Edit: Jun 07, 2006 at 04:55 PM by Dowals »
lowest paid in the banking industry

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • More POWER to your HT! literally ...
  • Liked:
This might mean that the R3 Tarzan, as posted by matzter, is already THX Certified because it used the same master as the R1?

R3 minus the THX logo & optimizer?   

Good question, that has crossed my mind a couple of times.

Offline Quitacet

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Good question, that has crossed my mind a couple of times.

Parang ganun na nga, if I remember sir firewired's post (pasensya na wala ako oras maghanap sa threads nung post niya), there's no difference really between the R3 and R1 Disney DVDs (during that time Incredibles R1 and R3 pa ang issue because of the VIVA Sale when people are looking for the R1 when the R3 are all over the place).

Offline Quitacet

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Guys,

eto na. nakita ko na yung post ni sir firewired sa Astrovision Makati starts Christmas Early thread, and he syas:

"Re-posting from another thread:

The R3 uses the same THX certified English 5.1 track and video transfer that's on the R1. Either Disney didn't want to pay the extra fee for having the logo and Optimizer app in the R3 release or the set wasn't eligible by default because the Asian language dubs were not submitted to THX for evaluation."