Author Topic: Blu-Ray Region Coding: Japan, US and East Asia (sans China) Same Region  (Read 11361 times)

Offline animated

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
from http://gamersreports.com/news/705/

Masakazu Honda @ ITMedia reports about the final review version of the AACS contents management system for HD formats such as Blu-ray Disc and HD-DVD. AACS LA consists of IBM, Sony, Toshiba, Warner, Intel, Microsoft, Matsus**ta, and Disney.

+ ICT (Image Constrain Token) must be supported by AACS software and hardware as Warner wanted. ICT is utilized to limit hi-res analog output. But in countries such as Japan in which the laws prohibit ICT, it's not required until 2011. Contents providers except for Warner say they don't use ICT, but according to Honda even Warner won't use it because of commercial reasons.

+ Though Warner was eager to abolish region code and there were no objection until the final decision, film companies not in AACS LA opposed it and it was decided that region code stays in BD-ROM. But it undergoes reorganization. Basically, Japan and other East Asian countries except for China are moved to Region 1. The new region codes are

Region 1: North America, South America, East Asia except for China (India, Japan, Korea, Thailand, Malaysia etc.)
Region 2: Europe and Africa
Region 3: China, Russia and other countries

i hope the Philippines is part of that "etc."  :) but then again, i think they should just get rid of the region coding all together.
« Last Edit: Dec 28, 2005 at 07:53 AM by animated »

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
Yehey, Region 1 na tayo  ;D  Cause for celebration ba?
« Last Edit: Dec 28, 2005 at 04:06 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline Blu-Ray

• Trade Count: (+163)
  • DVD Addict
  • More titles coming
  • Liked:
That means, di na bawal sell and play R1 dito sa Pinas?

But depends pa rin siguro sa distributor, pag di nagbago ang magna, poor quality pa rin packaging ng blu-ray. Walang nagbago, region code lang hehehe.
More titles coming soon...

Offline hemisphere

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • On the Lot!
  • Liked:
yahoo!!

meaning Region 1 would collectively share the same discs and packaging? sana small change lang like the Region 1 Us and Canada difference.

8)

Offline bachwitz

• DVD Addict
  • Musica delenit bestiam feram
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 32
yahoo!!

meaning Region 1 would collectively share the same discs and packaging? sana small change lang like the Region 1 Us and Canada difference.

8)

Baka naman iba ang region1 US packaged sa region1 asian?

Offline hemisphere

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • On the Lot!
  • Liked:
you have a point. good example is the superbit releases which share North American, Asian and South American contents and subs. same features but different packaging and marketing.

well.. its blu-ray and only few can afford the technology as of the moment.

8)

Offline seph1018

• Trade Count: (+102)
  • DVD Guru
  • You are not your DVD/BD collection!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Here's a taste of what Blu-Ray Disc Packaging will look like...

... if this is your first night at Fight Club, you have to fight.

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Nice packaging,  So it's no longer Amaray casing?  Wonder if it will fit in the same shelf after I've disposed off my DVD collection.   ;D

Offline baby

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • DVD Guru
  • who are you calling a llama???
  • Liked:
more info on blu ray

http://www.blu-ray.com/

Offline talisman30

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • DVD Guru
  • Experience Results
  • Liked:
Fox have an expansive back-catalogue of feature films and television series to draw from, encompassing a wide range of genres and subject matter. The press release specifically listed the following titles as examples:

Feature Films
Alien I-IV
Die Hard Trilogy
X-Men I & II
I, Robot
There's Something About Mary
Moulin Rouge
Sound of Music

Of course, buying the boxset of your favourite TV shows is increasingly popular these days, and Fox make some of the most popular shows around. The following series will be released for Blu-ray:

The Simpsons
Family Guy
The X-Files
M*A*S*H

subscribe us at our pre-launch: www.streakdeals.com.ph
like us on facebook: streakdeals.com.ph

Offline cel-shaded

• Collector
  • Forum Visitor
  • Liked:
If Malaysia and Thailand are both in Region 1, Philippines might also be in Region 1.

It that's the case, buying a US PlayStation 3 which is a cheaper Blu-Ray player, will let you play Pinoy films in it., if there are Blu-Ray versions. ;D

Offline Kratos

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
If Malaysia and Thailand are both in Region 1, Philippines might also be in Region 1.

It that's the case, buying a US PlayStation 3 which is a cheaper Blu-Ray player, will let you play Pinoy films in it., if there are Blu-Ray versions. ;D

Ainit PS3's region free?

Offline cel-shaded

• Collector
  • Forum Visitor
  • Liked:
Ainit PS3's region free?

Region-free on games, but not on movies.

Offline sosy_high

• Collector
  • Missing you...
  • Liked:
ano po ba ang difference ng blu-ray sa regular dvd?

Offline cel-shaded

• Collector
  • Forum Visitor
  • Liked:
Pinakauna, yung capacity. Ang DVD, maximum 9GB, yung Blu-Ray, 50GB.

Offline sosy_high

• Collector
  • Missing you...
  • Liked:
Pinakauna, yung capacity. Ang DVD, maximum 9GB, yung Blu-Ray, 50GB.

oh! So halimbawa, yung Scream Trilogy pedeng ilagay sa isang disc, with complete special features? W :oW

Offline Munskie

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
oh! So halimbawa, yung Scream Trilogy pedeng ilagay sa isang disc, with complete special features? W :oW
Blu-Ray and HD DVD are entirely new formats and each are high density storage for high definition video, audio and data.  In theory pwede yung i store ang standard definition video in either Blu-Ray or HD DVD, but you still have to buy the HD players coz DVD players will not read these new HD discs.  Moreover, I dont think studios will be happy with that in the first place...it will be eating up their profits...
« Last Edit: Oct 11, 2006 at 08:13 PM by Munskie »

Offline sosy_high

• Collector
  • Missing you...
  • Liked:
Blu-Ray and HD DVD are entirely new formats and each are high density storage for high definition video, audio and data.  In theory pwede yung i store ang standard definition video in either Blu-Ray or HD DVD, but you still have to buy the HD players coz DVD players will not read these new HD discs.  Moreover, I dont think studios will be happy with that in the first place...it will be eating up their profits...

nyak....gastos nanaman yan 4 a new player

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
It is, but only if you want to enjoy high definition.  ;D

Offline hemisphere

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • On the Lot!
  • Liked:

Offline krazy

• Collector
  • The future is Blu;-)
  • Liked:
It's official, the Philippines is indeed included in "Region A" which includes the US and Japan:
http://www.blu-raydisc.com/Section-13470/Section-14003/Section-14006/Index.html
So this might mean we'll see the end of those awful "local" versions like what we currently have with R3 DVD's with the exception of Warner titles :D

Offline techdude

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Spinning...
  • Liked:
So that makes US PS3 even more attractive, with or without games.  As it is, it is the cheapest blue-ray player on the market.

Now a dummy question.. does High Def (Bluray/HD-DVD) still have NTSC and PAL signal variants?  Kasi Japan, Philippines, USA are all NTSC, ito kaya why we are group together?
Blessed are the clean of heart: for they shall see God.

Offline krazy

• Collector
  • The future is Blu;-)
  • Liked:
Now a dummy question.. does High Def (Bluray/HD-DVD) still have NTSC and PAL signal variants?  Kasi Japan, Philippines, USA are all NTSC, ito kaya why we are group together?

With HD there are no more PAL and NTSC signal variants as HD has now pretty much been standardized to use the same 720p/1080i/1080p formats worldwide.  The regional groupings are really just nothing more than marketing control on the availability/selling of discs.  While 3 regions for BD is much better than the 6 regions of DVD, it would have been better if they just got rid of region coding altogether since it's a complete failure anyway

Offline cel-shaded

• Collector
  • Forum Visitor
  • Liked:
Now that R1 in Blu-Ray means having America, Japan, Korea, and SE Asia, will that mean that Blu-Ray movies that might be sold locally (if ever they're sold locally), will be as expensive as its US and Japan counterparts?

So let's say a Spider-Man 3 Blu-Ray movie in the US is $30, in the Philippines will this cost around P1500 and above?

Offline baby

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • DVD Guru
  • who are you calling a llama???
  • Liked:
Now that R1 in Blu-Ray means having America, Japan, Korea, and SE Asia, will that mean that Blu-Ray movies that might be sold locally (if ever they're sold locally), will be as expensive as its US and Japan counterparts?

So let's say a Spider-Man 3 Blu-Ray movie in the US is $30, in the Philippines will this cost around P1500 and above?
If it will be made availalble I presumed it will be cheaper.  But I think that it will be packed locally or by region.  So different parin ang packaging.

Offline techdude

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Spinning...
  • Liked:
Now that's something to ponder...  baka hindi pumayag ang mga Studios...kasi if the contents are the same, then if the price differentials are big enough, then someone might buy Philippine Blu-Ray discs and sell it in the US and vice versa...
Blessed are the clean of heart: for they shall see God.

Offline krazy

• Collector
  • The future is Blu;-)
  • Liked:
Now that's something to ponder...  baka hindi pumayag ang mga Studios...kasi if the contents are the same, then if the price differentials are big enough, then someone might buy Philippine Blu-Ray discs and sell it in the US and vice versa...

My guess is that *all* "region A" titles will be similarly priced to discourage grey-market selling.  But even at an average of US$30 or PhP1500 per title, it's still a great deal since you get 4x better video and up to 20x better audio quality for about the same price as a special edition (SD) DVD.

Offline Munskie

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
for Blu-ray and HD DVD.....ive noticed that prices usually are 27.95 for new releases...and 19.95 for catalog releases.....and you still get a 10 percent off sa promo ng Amazon sa HD titles...kaya halos ka presyo na ng mga LE/DE/SE 2 disc DVD.... :)

Offline ralfy

• DVD Guru
  • I am the Mountie!
  • Liked: