Author Topic: MMFF 2005  (Read 17048 times)

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
MMFF 2005
« on: Nov 27, 2005 at 11:31 AM »
It's a season of famine. The line up so far: EXODUS- Tale of the Enchanted Kingdom, MULAWIN, ENTENG KABISOTE 2, KUTOB, AKO LEGAL WIFE, SHAKE RATTLE & ROLE 7. I'm still hoping that the committee will include on the final line-up a Jeffrey Jeturian film.

Gone where the days when you can watch INSIANG, KUNG MANGARAP KA'T MAGISING, GANITO KAMI NOON, PAANO KAYO NGAYON, BULAKLAK SA CITY JAIL, ALAPAAP, BRUTAL, MORAL & HIMALA.

As Behn Cervantes calls it......PESTE BAL!  ;D
« Last Edit: Dec 01, 2005 at 07:36 PM by keating »

Offline oggsmoggs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:
Re: MMFF 2005
« Reply #1 on: Nov 27, 2005 at 12:18 PM »
There's also Joel Lamangan's Blue Moon, the only drama in the line-up. I'm hoping that the festival will have some gems, Shake, Rattle, and Roll has an episode directed by Rico Ilarde (Aquarium, i think), and reportedly, Maryo delos Reyes. My friend saw the final cut (without the music) for Exodus and he said its quality family entertainment (though we have differing tastes in films). We'll see. The festival of recent years has produced some surprising quality entertainment (which are not even in the drama genre) such as Erik Matti's Gagamboy and Yam Laranas' Sigaw, so let's not lose hope that this year's festival might churn out a pleasant surprise.
« Last Edit: Nov 27, 2005 at 12:21 PM by oggsmoggs »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Nov 27, 2005 at 12:37 PM »
Is BLUE MOON included oggs? I thought they disqualified this one because its from Regal Entertainment again. SRR 7 might pull some surprises and could even beat the original 1984 entry.

Same with EXODUS because its from Erik Matti.

Offline oggsmoggs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Nov 27, 2005 at 12:53 PM »
Is BLUE MOON included oggs? I thought they disqualified this one because its from Regal Entertainment again. SRR 7 might pull some surprises and could even beat the original 1984 entry.

Same with EXODUS because its from Erik Matti.

I think it's still included. Nothing's for sure though until the actual festival.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Nov 27, 2005 at 01:03 PM »
Thanks for the info, oggs. Lamangan will have two filmfest entries, again.

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
X44's "Idiotic" Insults
« Reply #5 on: Dec 04, 2005 at 10:53 AM »
It makes me want to boycott MMFF more. Why can't they just show them all together? If they want Pinoys to patronize local films, then let local studios create quality films.

Yeah I totally agree! This MMFF is really annoying esp those foreigners that can't understand tagalog left with no movies to watch esp during the holiday Xmas season when one wants to bring the whole family for a fun movie viewing pleasure...what a bumper   :-[

Offline deweyfinn

• DVD Guru
  • ...still kickin' arse....
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #6 on: Dec 06, 2005 at 03:31 PM »
It's a season of famine. The line up so far: EXODUS- Tale of the Enchanted Kingdom,
Do I smell BLATANT PRODUCT PLACEMENT here....

MULAWIN, ENTENG KABISOTE 2, KUTOB, AKO LEGAL WIFE, SHAKE RATTLE & ROLL 7. I'm still hoping that the committee will include on the final line-up a Jeffrey Jeturian film.

Gone where the days when you can watch INSIANG, KUNG MANGARAP KA'T MAGISING, GANITO KAMI NOON, PAANO KAYO NGAYON, BULAKLAK SA CITY JAIL, ALAPAAP, BRUTAL, MORAL & HIMALA.
Really, a dreadful bunch, I'd say....(groan!!!)
As Behn Cervantes calls it......PESTE BAL!  ;D

Offline devlin_waugh

• Trade Count: (+95)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 76
« Reply #7 on: Dec 06, 2005 at 04:43 PM »
It's a season of famine. The line up so far: EXODUS- Tale of the Enchanted Kingdom, MULAWIN, ENTENG KABISOTE 2, KUTOB, AKO LEGAL WIFE, SHAKE RATTLE & ROLE 7. I'm still hoping that the committee will include on the final line-up a Jeffrey Jeturian film.

^yup! they're still banking on the Filipino's supposed gullibility for fancy yet mediocre films...and working on the assumption that our tastes in film still hasn't evolved :(

Offline jekoy

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • DVD Addict
  • Movielandia
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Dec 06, 2005 at 06:54 PM »
Will Blue Moon be a take on 80's (?) Blue Moon with Matt Dillon?
Absolutely no regrets!

Offline edboy7

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • My name is Juan Antonio
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #9 on: Dec 07, 2005 at 01:11 PM »
add na rin KASAL by Dante Mendoza and GMA's  epic? MULAWIN the moive :)

Offline X44

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Stupidity is a heinous crime.
  • Liked:
X44's "Idiotic" Insults
« Reply #10 on: Dec 09, 2005 at 12:57 PM »
Getting pissed that the MMFF gets in the way of watching their precious Hollywood movies is one of the most idiotic  things I've ever come across. Specially coming from Pinoys.

Offline allanmandy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Mathematical!
  • Liked:
X44's "Idiotic" Insults
« Reply #11 on: Dec 09, 2005 at 06:19 PM »
Getting pissed that the MMFF gets in the way of watching their precious Hollywood movies is one of the most idiotic  things I've ever come across. Specially coming from Pinoys.

True. Give Pinoy film industry a chance. It's only for two weeks lang naman eh.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Dec 09, 2005 at 06:39 PM »
In terms of technical craftmanship, those films have the edge. I'm betting on EXODUS & SRR 7.

Offline lord_vader

• Collector
  • Liked:
X44's "Idiotic" Insults
« Reply #13 on: Dec 09, 2005 at 07:05 PM »
Call it idiotic but I'd rather watch Narnia 3 times in a theater than sit through half of that "Exodus" movie by Bong Revilla. Have you guys seen the trailer? Sucks big time.
« Last Edit: Dec 09, 2005 at 07:07 PM by lord_vader »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm afraid of the quiet man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
X44's "Idiotic" Insults
« Reply #14 on: Dec 10, 2005 at 07:32 AM »
Not that I'm a fan of Revilla, but basing one's opinion of a movie on the trailer isn't very helpful either.

Offline oggsmoggs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:
X44's "Idiotic" Insults
« Reply #15 on: Dec 10, 2005 at 08:07 AM »
ow can you make such an assumption even before anybody has seen both movies? I hate, or more accurately loath Senator Bong Revilla but I have to say Filipinos are very creative given a budget that's only a meager portion of the budget of these Hollywood films. Give these films a chance, that's all I'm saying. Having said that, Bong Revilla is such a complete idiot that he spent 20 something million pesos borrowing Passion of the Christ's score for the trailer when there was already an original trailer music prepared for the film. What he said was that the Pinoy-made score was "not Hollywood enough." This was against director Erik Matti's wishes. Now, if people like Bong Revilla who think perfection is achieved by reaching Hollywood standards (notwithstanding the fact that you're working on a very Filipino material) is working in this film industry of ours, we'll really never achieve something worthwhile because we'll really never really be anywhere near Hollywood films when it comes to visual and sound effects.

Offline Klaus Weasley

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 512
X44's idiotic insults
« Reply #16 on: Dec 10, 2005 at 08:39 AM »
We're not going to save the Filipino movie industry by trying to ape Hollywood movies. We're never going to reach the heights of Hollywood movies in terms of visual effects and production values. We'll only come off as second rate. We should just concentrate on trying to make films with good stories and artistry.

Offline oggsmoggs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:
X44's idiotic insults
« Reply #17 on: Dec 10, 2005 at 10:17 AM »
That doesn't mean we can't do fantasy or epics... Our ancestors had the best stories and epics, let's not lose the storytelling battle just coz we can't do special effects. I just don't understand why when Filipino filmmakers start doing epics and fantasy, the audience starts to get violent. We've done it before the Spanish came. We've done it during our Golden Age. Why can't we do it now?

Offline X44

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Stupidity is a heinous crime.
  • Liked:
X44's idiotic insults
« Reply #18 on: Dec 10, 2005 at 11:20 AM »
Call it idiotic but I'd rather watch Narnia 3 times in a theater than sit through half of that "Exodus" movie by Bong Revilla. Have you guys seen the trailer? Sucks big time.

Seen it. I agree. Bong Revilla sucks. The trailer sucks. The movie? Haven't seen it. Will I? Maybe. Beside the point, though.

What's idiotic is that it's only two weeks.

What's idiotic is that some people can't frigging wait.

Offline lord_vader

• Collector
  • Liked:
X44's idiotic insults
« Reply #19 on: Dec 10, 2005 at 11:47 AM »
Seen it. I agree. Bong Revilla sucks. The trailer sucks. The movie? Haven't seen it. Will I? Maybe. Beside the point, though.

What's idiotic is that it's only two weeks.

What's idiotic is that some people can't frigging wait.

Point taken. Two weeks nga lang naman so I guess I just have to wait. (as if we have any other choice!)
Now, before this thread goes further OT, let's go back to Narnia and create a separate thread for Exodus/Revilla.

Offline lord_vader

• Collector
  • Liked:
X44's idiotic insults
« Reply #20 on: Dec 10, 2005 at 11:53 AM »
Not that I'm a fan of Revilla, but basing one's opinion of a movie on the trailer isn't very helpful either.

But for majority of people who do not have enough money and/or time to watch all the movies, trailers become very helpful in choosing which ones to watch. After all, trailers are promotional materials and are supposed to attract viewers, right?
« Last Edit: Dec 10, 2005 at 11:53 AM by lord_vader »

Offline garee

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • "your look, sounds familiar"
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Dec 20, 2005 at 10:28 AM »
which entry is worth seeing?
and which film do you think will be the top-grosser?

based on the trailer, i would say Exodus.
does Enteng Kabisote have enough magic to land in the top3?

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Dec 20, 2005 at 07:03 PM »
Based on some trailers that I saw, there are still gems in this year's MMFF. Matti's EXODUS is high-gloss, top-notch entertainment. Same with SHAKE, RATTLE & ROLL 2k5.

EXODUS could even beat those Hollywood crap B movies!

Offline deweyfinn

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Dec 22, 2005 at 11:27 AM »
Based on some trailers that I saw, there are still gems in this year's MMFF. Matti's EXODUS is high-gloss, top-notch entertainment. Same with SHAKE, RATTLE & ROLL 2k5.

EXODUS could even beat those Hollywood crap B movies!

Really now...then why the f**k does Draco's (Jay-R) dragon form doesn't cast a shadow???

Talk about sloppy fx....

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Dec 22, 2005 at 05:39 PM »
May I humbly suggest that they change the name of the festival to the Mother Lily Film Festival?

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Dec 22, 2005 at 08:38 PM »
May I humbly suggest that they change the name of the festival to the Mother Lily Film Festival?

She was quoted saying: "This is my tribute to the movie industry. I love this industry so much!"

That's why Philippine Cinema sucks!  ;D Love her or hate her, she gambled on SCORPIO NIGHTS, SISTER STELLA L, MANILA BY NIGHT and other classic gems that stood the test of time.
« Last Edit: Dec 22, 2005 at 08:43 PM by keating »

Offline oggsmoggs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Dec 26, 2005 at 01:05 AM »
This is my sacrifice for the Filipino film industry - to spend my Christmas Day watching three entries to the Metro Manila Film Festival.

I started my movie marathon with Jose Javier Reyes' latest psycho-thriller Kutob. Reyes seems to be borrowing a lot from Alfred Hitchcock nowadays. I remember his first foray to the psycho-thriller genre Malikmata had several Hitchcock elements which he borrowed and in turn churned out a standard film that I initially thought was okay but upon second watching turned out to be utter crap. Now, here comes Kutob which borrows a lot from Psycho and well, I Know What You Did Last Summer - not a healthy combination I think. The acting is pretty bad. Marvin Agustin plays his psychotic character by the book complete with the annoying accentuations and whatever cliche that comes from playing psychotic minds. Reyes seems to be banking on plot twists nowadays forgeting that nowadays, plot twists are already cliche. Moreover, his plot twist is nothing more but a rip-off from Psycho, thus the plot twist doesn't twist at all but merely establishes the fact that Reyes should start rethinking his stay in the Filipino film industry, lest he be overrun by younger and better directors. Come on, Joey, you can write better than that. *1/2/*****

Next is Mulawin: The Movie which was rated A by the cinema review board. I'm not sure what Rated-A means but this reviewer would think that A means Asswipe after seeing this piece of sticky crap. Mulawin the television series probably worked because of the commercials because being entreated to bad CGI, bad sets, bad acting, and bad scripting for two hours straight is mindnumbing torture. Mulawin: The Movie is one bloated television episode. The music is a lot louder and hence, more jarring. The special effects is a lot more special and hence, eyestraining. The storyline is a lot more complex hence, convulated. The acting is the same - television-trained acting which simply does not work in the big screen. This film is just too bad and unless you are a fan of the show or you're one of those groupies who think everything that GMA makes is pure gold, then go for it. Don't say I didn't warn you. */*****

Last of the bunch is Erik Matti's Tales from the Enchanted Kingdom: Exodus. The film starts with a bunch of kids being told a story by the purple wizard from the theme park in Sta. Rosa, Laguna. Now that spells much trouble for the film because the film's insistence to being a film for children builds a disability for the filmmakers. Dwight Gaston made a fantastic script for Pa-Siyam but here he falters as his script lacks depth and sincere emotions. It seems that Gaston forgot that characterization is a prime element to any story. Halfway through the film, I didn't feel anything for any of the characters, not even the hero Exodus (surprisingly played with dignity by Senator Bong Revilla Jr. despite the obvious physical unsuitability of the role). Matti's direction is suitable. The cinematography is okay. The music is beautiful and unobtrusive. The special effects is a lot better than most Filipino films but is still far from the best. What strikes me as a saving grace for the film is the design and the concept which makes me annoyed how such concept was put to waste by the misconception that children need to be fed mindless entertainment. This film could've had a more interesting story if Matti, Gaston and the stupid producers (who probably forced Matti and his crew to be on the safe side) were more daring (well, not exactly daring since telling good stories is probably human nature). Miyazaki knew that children love great, emotional stories. Why are our filmmakers underestimating our children. Give them an Exodus with a lot more oomph than computer bitmaps. Althougn this is the best film I've seen in the festival so far, this is also the one that got me most annoyed because this film had actual potential - a simple story that could've gone far if the filmmakers just took a lot more risks. **1/2/*****
« Last Edit: Dec 26, 2005 at 07:52 AM by oggsmoggs »

Offline alcobobaz

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Dec 26, 2005 at 07:10 PM »
Exodus was a complete waste of time/money/cinema space hehe.
I dont understand why Pinoy films keep on copying International films when we can do our own original stories and make pseudo-okay effects.. Exodus had Lord of the Rings written all over it. The story was LAME, the casting was BAD (jay r?! paolo bediones?? wtf?), bong revilla's ten million posings were annoying, his ten million stretchmarks were distracting, the enchanted kingdom bit? i dont even wanna start with it. and like what oggsmoggs said, the film lacked characterization. it was like, they showed bong revilla then boom, then they show that annoying kid then boom, then aubrey then boom. then the story goes on until the end and yeah, you get the drift.

but to be fair, SOME of the effects were okay. SOME. majority still needed improvement.

grade? 2/10.

god, and wtf is that terrorist eddie garcia thing?! i smell another "di kita ma reach".

Offline Centurion Obama

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ave Caesar!
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Dec 27, 2005 at 12:25 AM »
I give Shake, Rattle and Roll a big thumbs down.  Don't watch it if you value your brain cells.
Free Burma pa rin!

Offline deweyfinn

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Dec 27, 2005 at 10:41 AM »
This is my sacrifice for the Filipino film industry - to spend my Christmas Day watching three entries to the Metro Manila Film Festival.

I started my movie marathon with Jose Javier Reyes' latest psycho-thriller Kutob. Reyes seems to be borrowing a lot from Alfred Hitchcock nowadays. I remember his first foray to the psycho-thriller genre Malikmata had several Hitchcock elements which he borrowed and in turn churned out a standard film that I initially thought was okay but upon second watching turned out to be utter crap. Now, here comes Kutob which borrows a lot from Psycho and well, I Know What You Did Last Summer - not a healthy combination I think. The acting is pretty bad. Marvin Agustin plays his psychotic character by the book complete with the annoying accentuations and whatever cliche that comes from playing psychotic minds. Reyes seems to be banking on plot twists nowadays forgeting that nowadays, plot twists are already cliche. Moreover, his plot twist is nothing more but a rip-off from Psycho, thus the plot twist doesn't twist at all but merely establishes the fact that Reyes should start rethinking his stay in the Filipino film industry, lest he be overrun by younger and better directors. Come on, Joey, you can write better than that. *1/2/*****

Next is Mulawin: The Movie which was rated A by the cinema review board. I'm not sure what Rated-A means but this reviewer would think that A means Asswipe after seeing this piece of sticky crap. Mulawin the television series probably worked because of the commercials because being entreated to bad CGI, bad sets, bad acting, and bad scripting for two hours straight is mindnumbing torture. Mulawin: The Movie is one bloated television episode. The music is a lot louder and hence, more jarring. The special effects is a lot more special and hence, eyestraining. The storyline is a lot more complex hence, convulated. The acting is the same - television-trained acting which simply does not work in the big screen. This film is just too bad and unless you are a fan of the show or you're one of those groupies who think everything that GMA makes is pure gold, then go for it. Don't say I didn't warn you. */*****

Last of the bunch is Erik Matti's Tales from the Enchanted Kingdom: Exodus. The film starts with a bunch of kids being told a story by the purple wizard from the theme park in Sta. Rosa, Laguna. Now that spells much trouble for the film because the film's insistence to being a film for children builds a disability for the filmmakers. Dwight Gaston made a fantastic script for Pa-Siyam but here he falters as his script lacks depth and sincere emotions. It seems that Gaston forgot that characterization is a prime element to any story. Halfway through the film, I didn't feel anything for any of the characters, not even the hero Exodus (surprisingly played with dignity by Senator Bong Revilla Jr. despite the obvious physical unsuitability of the role). Matti's direction is suitable. The cinematography is okay. The music is beautiful and unobtrusive. The special effects is a lot better than most Filipino films but is still far from the best. What strikes me as a saving grace for the film is the design and the concept which makes me annoyed how such concept was put to waste by the misconception that children need to be fed mindless entertainment. This film could've had a more interesting story if Matti, Gaston and the stupid producers (who probably forced Matti and his crew to be on the safe side) were more daring (well, not exactly daring since telling good stories is probably human nature). Miyazaki knew that children love great, emotional stories. Why are our filmmakers underestimating our children. Give them an Exodus with a lot more oomph than computer bitmaps. Althougn this is the best film I've seen in the festival so far, this is also the one that got me most annoyed because this film had actual potential - a simple story that could've gone far if the filmmakers just took a lot more risks. **1/2/*****

Come to think of it...as long as the MMFF confines its entries to GP or PG-13 rated films, there is absolutely no f'in point to expect something like originality or even stick-its-neck-out creative efforts on the part of local film producers