I finally got the Fukuda 881 (super slim) DivX/Mpg4 Dvd Player yesterday and here's my opinion about my new unit.
1) I love the unit! It plays EVERYTHING (except my super old WMAs w/c it can't detect)
2) The remote is a "bit" ugly but compared to GanzKlar's DivX Remote, it looks and feels way better. Better "funcionality" than Philips 5500 (IMO because Philips doesn' t have volume controls and very limited features can be accessed thru the remote) The perfect remote for me is still my old and trusty NextBase DVD9000 (w/c btw I'm selling, [shameless plug]
pls check the buy and sell thread or pm me if ur interested) which btw, could read ALL media DVD+-R CDR old dusty scratched DVD/CDs even .MPG format w/o converting to VCD format!
(except for DivX of course)
3) The unit has a Sleek design compared to other generic DivX Players
4) At a price tag of P3,3xx.00 at 0% interest for 3months (P1,1xx/mo for 3 months) you can't get a better deal than that.
5) Navigate directories in a breeze.
6) It has optical out / coaxial out / component / 5.1 out
Cons (calling the attention of Fukuda 881 owners, please let me know if you're also experiencing the same problem)
1) Fan noise is above average for a typical DVD player. It sounds more like my PC humming.
2) You're better off w/o the manual. It'll only confuse you.
3) Ports at the back of the unit will confuse you even more. Poorly labled and color labled, you don't know which jack goes thru w/c port. You have to experiment a bit in this area.
4) The unit's status indicator is awkwardly positioned FACING UP. This is good if you're always standing up or always looking down at the unit. But if it's right beside your TV, it's quite impossible for you to know the status of your DVD (ie, it's loading, ejecting, track #, duration, etc..) unless you press the OSD in the remote.
5) Navigating to some files in a DVD could sometime take a few seconds.
6) When stopping the DVD or EJECTing or Forwarding the next track, I heard the "process" grumbling softly thru the speakers (if my Altec 621 is set to a low volume level, it's quite inaudible (normal settings when watching sitcoms or drama) but if it's pumped to half of it's power or louder volume (when watching LOTR or Matrix or similar movies w/c require u to pump up the volume) the grumbling "process" sound is audible thru your speakers. Similar to hearing a faint grumble sound when you're accessing a CD in ur computer or moving the mouse.7) you'll notice that the fan is CONTINUOUSLY running even after turning the unit off thru the remote. You have to actually push the button on the unit to turn it completely off. Or else, if you're in a silent room, you'll hear the fan running even if you've turned it off using the remote.
Guys who own Fukuda 881, I need your help in this if this is also happening to ur unit or even the "as-loud-as" PC Fan noise.
Aside from those minor cons, I'm pretty satisfied w/ the quality and the price I paid for it.I'm starting to love it more by the minute!
I'm just hoping there are cures for some of the Cons above.
Calling all Fukuda 881 owners or whoever who may know the solution to the cons, kindly reply to this thread. Are those normal for Fukuda or should I return this for replacement while it's still early?
Thanks in advance to those who will reply!