Author Topic: Fukuda 881 DivX/Mpg4/Jpg/Wma/Mp3/Vcd/Dvd/CD Player owners' discussion forum  (Read 25723 times)

Offline TimSavvy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • HD Player Enthusiast :)
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
I finally got the Fukuda 881 (super slim) DivX/Mpg4 Dvd Player yesterday and here's my opinion about my new unit.

Pros
1) I love the unit! It plays EVERYTHING (except my super old WMAs w/c it can't detect)
2) The remote is a "bit" ugly but compared to GanzKlar's DivX Remote, it looks and feels way better. Better "funcionality" than Philips 5500 (IMO because Philips doesn' t have volume controls and very limited features can be accessed thru the remote)  The perfect remote for me is still my old and trusty NextBase DVD9000 (w/c btw I'm selling, [shameless plug] :) pls check the buy and sell thread or pm me if ur interested) which btw, could read ALL media DVD+-R CDR old dusty scratched DVD/CDs even .MPG format w/o converting to VCD format! :) (except for DivX of course)
3) The unit has a Sleek design compared to other generic DivX Players
4) At a price tag of P3,3xx.00 at 0% interest for 3months (P1,1xx/mo for 3 months) you can't get a better deal than that.
5) Navigate directories in a breeze.
6) It has optical out / coaxial out / component / 5.1 out

Cons (calling the attention of Fukuda 881 owners, please let me know if you're also experiencing the same problem)
1) Fan noise is above average for a typical DVD player.  It sounds more like my PC humming.
2) You're better off w/o the manual.  It'll only confuse you.
3) Ports at the back of the unit will confuse you even more.  Poorly labled and color labled, you don't know which jack goes thru w/c port.  You have to experiment a bit in this area.
4) The unit's status indicator is awkwardly positioned FACING UP.  This is good if you're always standing up or always looking down at the unit.  But if it's right beside your TV, it's quite impossible for you to know the status of your DVD (ie, it's loading, ejecting, track #, duration, etc..) unless you press the OSD in the remote.
5) Navigating to some files in a DVD could sometime take a few seconds.
6) When stopping the DVD or EJECTing or Forwarding the next track, I heard the "process" grumbling softly thru the speakers (if my Altec 621 is set to a low volume level, it's quite inaudible (normal settings when watching sitcoms or drama) but if it's pumped to half of it's power or louder volume (when watching LOTR or Matrix or similar movies w/c require u to pump up the volume) the grumbling "process" sound is audible thru your speakers.  Similar to hearing a faint grumble sound when you're accessing a CD in ur computer or moving the mouse.
7) you'll notice that the fan is CONTINUOUSLY running even after turning the unit off thru the remote.  You have to actually push the button on the unit to turn it completely off.  Or else, if you're in a silent room, you'll hear the fan running even if you've turned it off using the remote.  Guys who own Fukuda 881, I need your help in this if this is also happening to ur unit or even the "as-loud-as" PC Fan noise.

Aside from those minor cons, I'm pretty satisfied w/ the quality and the price I paid for it.
I'm starting to love it more by the minute! :)
I'm just hoping there are cures for some of the Cons above.

Calling all Fukuda 881 owners or whoever who may know the solution to the cons, kindly reply to this thread.  Are those normal for Fukuda or should I return this for replacement while it's still early?

Thanks in advance to those who will reply! ;D
« Last Edit: Apr 30, 2005 at 04:43 AM by kenzo823 »

Offline firewired

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
Got your PM kenzo.

Seems like you've really explored your DivX-881 unit. Regarding your comments:
  • Yup, the fan noise is definitely above average. And yes, standby means standby everything except the fan. :P Is that just the fan or is the disc still spinning? At least you know it'll never overheat!
  • I didn't notice the speaker noise. I don't have external speakers connected to the player. The Fukuda is pretty much a bedroom unit so nothing fancy except an S-Video connection.
  • I actually have 2 players in the bedroom. The other is a Pioneer player which is hooked up to my widescreen TV via DVD component inputs and to one of those small 5.1 receivers for PCs. In other words, I don't use the Fukuda for anything else except DivX, Xvid, and MP2 and MP4 files. Much as I like it, the ease of use limitations (like the status indicator facing upward and the relatively slow response of the remote) annoy me so I decided to stick to the Pioneer for DVD viewing.

Glad you like your unit. I'm hoping this one outlasts my Nextbase which started having read problems after 18 months.
« Last Edit: Apr 30, 2005 at 04:35 PM by firewired »
PinoyDVD: The Pinoy Digital Video & Devices Community

Offline motion55

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
Yeah, I did notice the persistently running fan. Probably because it's positioned in a moderately busy living room, I cannot hear it but only feel the vibration when touching the casing. This makes you want to turn off the push switch after you've used the player in order to lengthen its life.

The player is also hooked to an Altec 621 and I didn't notice any rumble when loading/unloading a CD. The subwoofer volume setting on the 621 is set to slightly below 50% on mine. However, there is that thump when you turn ON the switch. This player was preceded by a Nextbase DV9000 and the thump was less evident on that unit. The audio section of the Fukuda is probably slightly inferior to the Nextbase.

Overall, I like the casing design even if the status display is facing upwards. I didn't notice any standby power switch on the unit itself that is equivalent to the power switch on the remote.

It was able to play almost all DIVX files I put in. There was one file which it failed to recognize probably because of a special character in its filename.  Video is largely smooth and clear. It could stand improvement in video depth resolution.

Offline TimSavvy

• Collector
  • Liked:
Thanks for your reply Sir FireWired!

I was about to go back to Anson's again to check if the spinning fan under "standby" is normal if it wasn't for your reply.

1) Wouldn't that shorten the life of the unit's fan if left on "standby' for a very long time?
2) Is it ok to leave it on standby for a very long time knowing that the fan is still spinning?

If I should turn it off by walking to my player to press the power button each time I need to shut it off completely, I  guess I could live that.

And also the faint "grumbling" "access" noise (similar to PC noise on ur speakers) whenever switching tracks, stopping or ejecting discs while the volume's pumped up is also tolerable.

For the price and quality, I can't complain. :)

As for my NextBase, you just gave me a good idea!  I think I'm gonna keep it as my DVD Player.  Since I love the remote so much and it's way faster in loading/playing mp3s/.MPGs and loading DVDs and really silent fan and no "access" faint noise.   It also reads old, dusty scratched p*dvds w/ no problem at all.

But then again, I rarely watch DVDs.  Puro TV series lang.  Anyone interested on a NextBase DVD, pls pm me ur offers or visit the buy and sell thread. :)

Status indicator facing up, "access" noise, fan noise are becoming tolerable if you consider that you can get 2 Fukudas for 1 Philips :)  Besides, I don't wna invest on an expensive player that will last a lifetime.  After 2-3 yrs, for sure may bago nanaman lalabas.. Disposable units are just fine :)  Pero bilib ako sa NextBase.  Tibay.. never skipped, hang or never namili..  Probably because I often watch TV series on my PC rather than watch DVDs on my NextBase kya di nalaspag.  Oh well.. :)

Other Fukuda 881 owners, feel free to give your comments! :)

Offline TimSavvy

• Collector
  • Liked:
Yeah, I did notice the persistently running fan. Probably because it's positioned in a moderately busy living room, I cannot hear it but only feel the vibration when touching the casing. This makes you want to turn off the push switch after you've used the player in order to lengthen its life.

The player is also hooked to an Altec 621 and I didn't notice any rumble when loading/unloading a CD. The subwoofer volume setting on the 621 is set to slightly below 50% on mine. However, there is that thump when you turn ON the switch. This player was preceded by a Nextbase DV9000 and the thump was less evident on that unit. The audio section of the Fukuda is probably slightly inferior to the Nextbase.

Overall, I like the casing design even if the status display is facing upwards. I didn't notice any standby power switch on the unit itself that is equivalent to the power switch on the remote.

It was able to play almost all DIVX files I put in. There was one file which it failed to recognize probably because of a special character in its filename.  Video is largely smooth and clear. It could stand improvement in video depth resolution.

What a COINCIDENCE!!  We both purchased the same Fukuda DivX Model which was supposed to replace the same NextBase DVD Player Model w/c is hooked up w/ the same Altec Lansing Model 621.

But mine has faint "access" grumbling noise when my speaker volume is set to high.  Could you kindly experiment on yours on a quiet environment and listen closely to your 621s?

It's not annoying because it only happens during Eject, Seek, & Stop.  Pero ok siguro kung mawala yun diba?

Perhaps NextBase's is superior in terms of Audio quality nga.  But it's really hard to determine. :)

Offline markcas

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
Does this unit has a built-in DTS decoder? I hooked it up to my Xenon AX-305 pero nawawala yung sound when I switched on DTS. Can anyone post their recommended settings for optimal sound output? Thanks!

Offline TimSavvy

• Collector
  • Liked:
I think enabling DTS can be found somewhere in the manual.  But you have to hire a professional translator to decode it for you.  Super hirap intindihin.

If anyone knows the "real" hotline of Fukuda, kindly post it here along w/ whom to look for.

I'm having problems setting the Parental thingy because I can't the password anywhere in the Manual. :)

Other than that, I'm still loving it..  Napabili ako ng DVD Writer ng di oras to write my DivX compilations.

Anyway,

CALLING ALL FUKUDA 881 DIVX PLAYER OWNER OUT THERE
What brands of DVD Media is compatible w/ our player ba?
Preferrably those ones that can be bought at CDR King.

thanks! :)

Offline firewired

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
I've tried the P6.00 DVD-R "Premium" brand and have had no problems. I've tried iOmega -R and +R, Ridata -R and -RW and they all played flawlessly. Tried a couple of DVD backup discs that refused to play on my Pioneer 535 and no hiccups.

Have you been able to test anime clips on it? Someone PMed me about SRT subtitles but I don't have samples on hand.

Offline TimSavvy

• Collector
  • Liked:
I've tried the P6.00 DVD-R "Premium" brand and have had no problems. I've tried iOmega -R and +R, Ridata -R and -RW and they all played flawlessly. Tried a couple of DVD backup discs that refused to play on my Pioneer 535 and no hiccups.

Have you been able to test anime clips on it? Someone PMed me about SRT subtitles but I don't have samples on hand.

Nope, haven't tried anime clips yet.

you mean DVD back ups won't run on your Pioneer Player but would flawlessly run on the Fukuda 881 Player?

The P6.00 DVD-R "Premium" brand, did you back up DVD Movie or DivX on that?
iOmega -R and +R 8x is P25 at CDR King.

I need to know w/c DVD brand and types (and if possible, price) would run flawlessly on the Fukuda 881 Player for both DivX & DVD Backup.

This data would be very helpful to everyone who owns Fukuda 881 :)

thank you po sir! :)

Offline lomi

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
Hi.  Can anyone, who is kind enough, post a short technical review for the said player? I have a series of questions below.

1.   We all know that it can play divx/mp4 but what specific formats can it play? e.g. Divx3.11/4.x/5.x/6.x? 3ivx? XVID?

2.   Can it show Subtitles? If yes, what format of subtitles can it read? e.g. .SRT, .SUB, .SMI, etc. Is it large enough to be readable?  Can it display other languages/characters (Chinese, Japanese, Greek, etc.) ?

3.   How about playing .ogm files?  I heard Philips 5500s can play it how about this player?

Offline firewired

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
1. As far as formats are concerned, I've verified that the Fukuda 881 can play the following in file mode using a simple browser:
  • MPEG1 and MPEG2
  • DivX 3.11/4.x/5.x/6.x (including multiple audio tracks in 6.x but it is NOT compatible with 6.x's subtitle format)
  • Xvid (but I haven't verified Q-Pel support)

It cannot play the following:
  • NeroDigital. I've tried but no luck.
  • OGM A/V container (file extension .ogm)
  • Matroska A/V container (file extension .mkv -- but I still have to try more files)

2. As far as subtitles are concerned, it does recognizes .SRT  and the font is readable but I was viewing the sample on a 34" screen.

Offline motion55

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
I tried playing a DIVX avi file with 960x528 resolution and the player failed with the UNSUPPORTED RESOL(ution) message.

Offline firewired

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
DivX certified standalone devices will only play non-HD sources up 720x480. That's the maximum resolution when encoding using the DivX Home Theater Profile. Anything higher is out of spec hence the error.

Offline Archie

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
Hi all,

i'm planning to replace my orange divx player which i bought for 2.4k because there is no audio when i choose DTS!

does fukuda have a dts decoder?

thx.

Offline newtype

• Collector
  • yo...
  • Liked:
i need to replace my TCL player so here's my quick question:

this player or the philips 642?

also, does this player play almost every dvd without any problems? and does it have a subtitle on 'glitch' or not (my TCL player has this kasi- whenever i turn on subtitles, the sound gets weird for seconds after 5-10 minutes)?

Offline firewired

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
If you're buying the Philips for less than Php5-K, I'd go with that. Nothing like the security of having a real warranty from an experienced manufacturer.

Offline frequenzy

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • stereotype
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 23
does the fukuda have a built-in DTS decoder and Dolby 5.1?

Offline newtype

• Collector
  • yo...
  • Liked:
If you're buying the Philips for less than Php5-K, I'd go with that. Nothing like the security of having a real warranty from an experienced manufacturer.

OT: i just did here sa states for $70. question ko lng is kung pwede ung warranty dyan sa atin pag balik ko...

Offline firewired

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Try writing Philips (Philippines) from their web site:
Service and Support

Offline firewired

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Fukuda Service Information
« Reply #19 on: Jun 01, 2005 at 10:31 AM »
Password Code for DVD-881 Players

The manual lists this as 2001 but according to Fukuda, a firmware upgrade was installed by their manufacturer in China prior to delivery to Manila. The new code is 3308.

Service and Support for Fukuda DVD Players

Ansons Service Center

Fukuda Service Center
« Last Edit: Jun 01, 2005 at 12:15 PM by firewired »

Offline fiddlers_green

• Collector
  • I am the king of gladiators!
  • Liked:
Guys, have you experienced the No Disc problem with the Fukuda player?  Thanks in advance.

Offline firewired

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Not yet. What DVD were you trying to play?

Wait let me clarify that. I did experience that when I was testing generic DVD-R discs. I burned a compilation of clips at the 4X rated speed of the disc. I burned another copy but used 8X which was double the rated speed of the disc. The 8X duplicate wouldn't play on the Fukuda. Even my laptop wouldn't read it.
« Last Edit: Jun 12, 2005 at 09:11 PM by firewired »

Offline fiddlers_green

• Collector
  • Liked:
DVD, pDVD, VCD, burned VCD...  I think there's a problem with the player already.  My girlfriend noticed that the fan's noise has become louder when you turn it on and slowly fades to its usual sound.  Nonetheless, the player would not recognize any disc if it doesn't turn on with the loud fan noise.  We're planning to have it checked with Ansons.

Offline firewired

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
You can also try contacting Fukuda directly. I posted their service number on the previous page.

Offline fiddlers_green

• Collector
  • Liked:
Thanks!

Offline TimSavvy

• Collector
  • Liked:
Guys, have you experienced the No Disc problem with the Fukuda player?  Thanks in advance.

nope, i often leave my Fukuda on playing 12 straight series *while I am sleeping* and on when I'm awake.. it's pretty much on at least 10hrs a day w/ or w/o anyone watching..  How I wish it has a "sleep" feature.. but even when it's on SOFT OFF, the fan is still on..

no problems so far, except for the unusually loud fan noise.. but if you're at least 5 meters away, you wouldn't notice or if even if you're watching near as long as something's playing, you also wouldn't notice..

btw, my room is quite most of the time.. except of course when I'm playing something in my PC or Fukuda..

Offline Gino

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Audiophiliac
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
How is the video output to tv? Is it comparable to a pc output?

Offline firewired

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Hmm, good question.

Am connected to my widescreen TV using component inputs. The Fukuda has this weird feature though that I haven't seen before: a built-in hardware deinterlacer. What that means is that when I play certain DVDs shot on video (like sitcoms and kid shows like Baby Einstein), the output looks like film.

Any other players out there that deinterlace on the fly?

Offline TimSavvy

• Collector
  • Liked:
Hmm, good question.

Am connected to my widescreen TV using component inputs. The Fukuda has this weird feature though that I haven't seen before: a built-in hardware deinterlacer. What that means is that when I play certain DVDs shot on video (like sitcoms and kid shows like Baby Einstein), the output looks like film.

Any other players out there that deinterlace on the fly?

Sorry if I'm such a newbie..
What's "de-interlace" Guru FireWired?
What do you mean "the output looks like film."?

btw, I'm considering getting a 19" or a 21" TV w/ component imputs for my Fukuda?  Any suggestions where and what to buy?  Not too expensive sana... Best Bang for the Buck like Fukuda sana..

I'm looking for a TV that would pair up w/ my Fukuda.. (still loving it..)

thanks!! :)

Offline mojako

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
is the firmware upgradeable?