Author Topic: Recommendation for phono pre-amp  (Read 7509 times)

Offline jgl

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Recommendation for phono pre-amp
« on: Jun 24, 2012 at 04:50 PM »
What phono pre-amps would you recommend?  I'd like to try out again a turn-table (once I get one) w/ my amp w/c has no phono input.  I'd like to order one from the US soon in time for my brother to take it back w/ him mid July.  Thanks. 

Offline communista

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Recommendation for phono pre-amp
« Reply #1 on: Sep 12, 2012 at 08:53 AM »
Perhaps the Rega Fono Mini A2D? Available at Watts HiFi in MCS. Just got mine yesterday.

http://www.whathifi.com/review/rega-fono-mini-a2d

Offline lord_dracula

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Sep 23, 2012 at 10:41 AM »
Perhaps the Rega Fono Mini A2D? Available at Watts HiFi in MCS. Just got mine yesterday.

http://www.whathifi.com/review/rega-fono-mini-a2d

How much did you pay for it?

Offline Nelson de Leon

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 291
« Reply #3 on: Sep 23, 2012 at 11:11 AM »
Cambridge Audio.

Offline communista

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Sep 25, 2012 at 10:26 AM »
How much did you pay for it?

Around 6K sir. It's an entry-level phono stage.

Offline resident_evil

• Trade Count: (+71)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #5 on: Sep 26, 2012 at 11:16 PM »
Explore JojoDs phono preamp. Havent tried it but he gets lots of praises for his work.
Ref3A De Capo Be, 300B SET Amp, Nak Bx300, Rega P3-24, Benz Glider, EE Minimax

Offline tonedeaf

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #6 on: Nov 29, 2014 at 09:47 AM »
up for this thread.

I'm thinking of getting a Rega RP1 or RP3, just to see if I will like turntables and vinyls.   would it be advisable to get a MM/MC capable phono pre-amp or just the entry level MM? What would be the advantage of getting an MM/MC type?

I've seen sa Whathifi recommendations on MMs to get (mostly Regas and NADs). Any other brands you can recommend?

Offline mykel18

• Trade Count: (+47)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Recommendation for phono pre-amp
« Reply #7 on: Nov 29, 2014 at 09:53 AM »
Lehmann Black Cube
Dynavector P75 mk3

Better to get MM/MC for versatility so you can have both type of cartridge and be able to compare them.
HT: JBL | A&D | Denon | LG
Audio: Naim | DeVore Fidelity | Roksan | Dynavector

Offline Superman

• Trade Count: (+138)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Master Showman Presents...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 366
« Reply #8 on: Nov 29, 2014 at 10:50 AM »
Musical Fidelity XLP or VLPS
Fyne|EAR|Hana|Technics|SAEC|Wiim|Western Electric|Audiolab|Acrolink|Oyaide|Oppo|Tellurium

Offline tonedeaf

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
Re: Re: Recommendation for phono pre-amp
« Reply #9 on: Nov 29, 2014 at 01:42 PM »
Musical Fidelity XLP or VLPS
Any suggestions which shops carry these?

Edit: To answer my own question, I found the distributor DCM and was told that the Musical Fidelity V LPS has been phased out and has been replaced by the V90 LPS. Anyone have any experience on this? Also, any thoughts on the MF V90 LPS versus the Cambridge Audio 651p?
« Last Edit: Nov 29, 2014 at 02:15 PM by tonedeaf »

Offline dodie

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #10 on: Nov 29, 2014 at 11:54 PM »
madaming phono stage na maganda, some prefer SUT for the mm phono inputs. kung mm lang di masyadong kamahalan. a lot of entry level phono preamp eh for mm carts lang. but there are phono pre that have mc inputs na reasonable ang presyo. cambrigde is one, the entry level of musical fidelity and the nad pp4 or the emotiva phono pre, creek, project. . but for those who are very much into vinyl, given their investment sa turntable and mc carts, their phono stage are directly proportional sa price ng kanilang source. there are tube phono and ss phono , decent ones start at 40k going up. ear 834 and 88pb, the passive sutherland, the black cube se ii, minimax improve, rega ios, dynavector, naim, mf m1, jadis jp, audio research phono, conrad johnson, cayin phono1, magnum, linn linto, leben, artemis lab and many many more. and definitely there will be 1 that will suit your taste and your budget.....
« Last Edit: Nov 30, 2014 at 12:29 AM by Dodie »
WCH CM U?

Offline tonedeaf

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Nov 30, 2014 at 08:25 AM »
madaming phono stage na maganda, some prefer SUT for the mm phono inputs. kung mm lang di masyadong kamahalan. a lot of entry level phono preamp eh for mm carts lang. but there are phono pre that have mc inputs na reasonable ang presyo. cambrigde is one, the entry level of musical fidelity and the nad pp4 or the emotiva phono pre, creek, project. . but for those who are very much into vinyl, given their investment sa turntable and mc carts, their phono stage are directly proportional sa price ng kanilang source. there are tube phono and ss phono , decent ones start at 40k going up. ear 834 and 88pb, the passive sutherland, the black cube se ii, minimax improve, rega ios, dynavector, naim, mf m1, jadis jp, audio research phono, conrad johnson, cayin phono1, magnum, linn linto, leben, artemis lab and many many more. and definitely there will be 1 that will suit your taste and your budget.....
Hi Dodie,

2 questions:

1. What's a SUT?

2. if I get the entry level cambridge/nad/MF which is MC capable, will the MC cartridge that I will be able to install (like the Denon 103 ba?) be superior to the elys2 mm cartridge which will come with the rp3? Or naririnig ba ang difference when you get the expensive (not entry level) MC phono stage and cartridge?

I'm just trying to figure out if it's worth it to get a mm/mc phono preamp pero entry level, and pair it with entry level cartridge. Or just buy the mm entry level phono stage + use elys2.

Based on my reading of your post above kasi, the good MC phono stage start at the 40k  range. I'm guessing the  MC cartridge to be used for such a preamp will also be at or near that price range. And if that's the case, should one be using such phono stage and cartridge on a Rega rp3? Parang dapat yata yung 75k and above na turntable din, to match the mc preamp and cartridge?
« Last Edit: Nov 30, 2014 at 08:27 AM by tonedeaf »

Offline dodie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Nov 30, 2014 at 09:45 AM »
Hi Dodie,

2 questions:

1. What's a SUT?

A:STEP UP TRANSFORMER(step-up transformer is designed to raise the output of moving coil cartridges up to a level compatible with moving magnet phonostages. The purpose is not simply to allow moving coil cartridges to be used with moving magnet only phonostages (which most valve designs are, for example), but to allow moving coil cartridges the chance to realise their full potential. Transformers have much more benign distortion characteristics than active circuits and they are capable of producing a truly sublime soundstage with detail and separation unsurpassed by the more common transistor and op-amp alternatives) from: rothwell audio
-------------------------
2. if I get the entry level cambridge/nad/MF which is MC capable, will the MC cartridge that I will be able to install (like the Denon 103 ba?) be superior to the elys2 mm cartridge which will come with the rp3? Or naririnig ba ang difference when you get the expensive (not entry level) MC phono stage and cartridge?

A:denon 103r is much better than elys2 po. lalo na yung 103r na modified by david wok just like what doc endrick is using. and claro po yung difference ng mga magagandang phono stage sa entry level. mas define yung base at mas detailed po.
---------------------
I'm just trying to figure out if it's worth it to get a mm/mc phono preamp pero entry level, and pair it with entry level cartridge. Or just buy the mm entry level phono stage + use elys2.

A: suggestion lang po, get a decent mm/mc phono stage and get a denon 103r

------------------
Based on my reading of your post above kasi, the good MC phono stage start at the 40k  range. I'm guessing the  MC cartridge to be used for such a preamp will also be at or near that price range. And if that's the case, should one be using such phono stage and cartridge on a Rega rp3? Parang dapat yata yung 75k and above na turntable din, to match the mc preamp and cartridge?

the rega rp3 po is a winner. whathifi & sterophile recommended component pa. and i have the older version(p3/24) ;D if you  will be dipping sa mid level pjono stage and mc carts, kht pa yung mga 6 figure, rega rp3 is up to the task.....

WCH CM U?

Offline bolahan

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Nov 30, 2014 at 04:10 PM »
@ sir Dodie, clarify ko Lang po if pwede ikabit SA rp3 ang denon dl103 na cart. Thanks po

Offline tonedeaf

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Nov 30, 2014 at 05:58 PM »
@ sir Dodie, clarify ko Lang po if pwede ikabit SA rp3 ang denon dl103 na cart. Thanks po
If you have a Mc phono preamp, I think yes. Although I think what he is suggesting is to get a decent (which he defined as those which cost 40k and above) Mc phono preamp and pair it with the Denon dl103. (correct me if I'm wrong, Dodie)

@Dodie, thank you for responses above. I might have to do a 2 step process due to costs involved. Hahaha. So I plan to first buy the rp3, use the elys 2 which comes with it and then choose among the ff:

1. Regular mm phono preamp from Rega or nad;
2. Cambridge audio 651p;
3. Musical fidelity v90 slp; or
4. Ifi iphono.

I'm leaning towards getting #1. Maybe upgrade to the Denon 103r after a while, if I choose #2-4.

If I really end up loving vinyl, I will then save up for the 40k and above phono preamp and the nice phono carts,  and use these with the Rp3.

Online endrik35

• Trade Count: (+57)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Nov 30, 2014 at 06:07 PM »
Mang Andrew's build of AMX does not cost an arm and a leg and sounds great!

http://www.pinoydvd.com/index.php/topic,174316.480.html
Lenco L-75,Consonance ref 2.2 cdp,Melos MA110 pre, Muse model100 amp,Sonus faber signum
REL Strata3

Offline dodie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Nov 30, 2014 at 06:30 PM »
there you go atty, doc endrick suggested an amx phono from manley design. btw, doc endrick has a rega p3/24 that have tweaks much better that rp6 and an ultimate denon dl103r; the DAIWOK DL103R.

if your keen on getting an rp3, drop the elys and let it be deducted sa price nung tt. go straight mc. bka yung nad nyo po may mm input, will lend you my SUT.
WCH CM U?

Offline tonedeaf

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Nov 30, 2014 at 08:41 PM »
^(medyo slightly OT) i only have the denon 1713 right now. sayang. hahaha. although I was talking to Rex kanina (of Watts Hi Fi), and he said I should get the Brio R or the NAD 326BEE. Of the 2, the Brio R has a phono input, but MM lang yata.

I will check if I can get the RP3 without the Elys. Pero I can't do your "decent" amp suggestion, hahaha, out of budget na. I will check with @endrik35 re AMX. Will see how much RP3 + AMX + Denon 103r will cost. Not quite sure how that will work though. Does that mean ikakabit ko yung AMX sa Denon ko (it will serve as the phono preamp)?

P.S. I just finished looking at @endrik35's thread. Whew. Ang ganda, pero di ko kaya ang mga tweaks nya sa P3, pati di ko maintindihan yung ibang pinag uusapan. Hahaha. I need a simpler route to vinyl  :D

« Last Edit: Nov 30, 2014 at 09:53 PM by tonedeaf »

Offline dodie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Nov 30, 2014 at 11:21 PM »
with phono stage
your rp3/dl103r --------->AMX phono stage(mm/mc)---------->any line input(not phono in) of Int amp/pwr amp

with SUT and integrated amplifier with phono mm input
1.your rp3/dl103r--------->SUT------------>mm phono input of int. amplifer(if amp has an mm phono in)
2.your rp3/dl103r--------->SUT------------>mm/mc phono stage---------->line in of int amp(no phono in)

wag po muna kyong kumuha ng int amplifier. just the phono stage. sa denon 1713 nyo po muna subukan bka maganda din tunog!

« Last Edit: Nov 30, 2014 at 11:38 PM by Dodie »
WCH CM U?

Offline tonedeaf

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Dec 01, 2014 at 05:58 PM »
^Hi Dodie, that looks crystal clear to me. Thanks for the patience in answering my questions.

Decisions, decisions.  :-\ >:D

Offline muypogi

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • DVD Guru
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Dec 02, 2014 at 10:07 PM »
For starters, I'd recommend getting the Rega Fono or the NAD PP3, rather than getting a full integrated amp with phono. 

No need to order one from the states as you can get these readily here.

May mga ibang phono amp sa states but it's hit and miss since you can't return them or audition them before you buy.

As for MM/MC, depende sa gusto mo.  For starting out, I'd recommend MM muna, since MC opens up a whole can of worms (SUT/Cart compatibility, etc).  No question MC should come out better sonically, but you'd need a better amp vs the denon you have currently.  There are phono stages that have MM/MC, the Pro-Ject Phono Box comes to mind and the NAD PP3. 

But based on experience, best to get a nice phono amp for MC, like the Minimax phono amp, which has tube phono stages and built-in SUTs.

Offline tonedeaf

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Dec 16, 2014 at 05:24 PM »
thanks for the inputs everyone! i might go with the entry level MM/MC route first. then upgrade to MC phono preamp and poweramp (separate audio set up) if i like the sound of turntables.

Offline geevee

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Dec 16, 2014 at 07:44 PM »
I suggest you get the rp3 first....  Then borrow different phono preamps from your friends....

Sound Quality depends on the synergy more than the price of the phono preamp and the cartridge.

My Shure V15 IV with Jico stylus sounds awesome with a cheapo Art DJ II and sucks with a MF VLPS.

My Shure M55e sounds very good with my MF VLPS.

My Nagaoka MP110 sounds dull with all my phono preamps so I never got to use it....

In the end I am using my cheapest phono preamp since it sounds the best with my favorite cartridge.

Offline tonedeaf

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Jan 03, 2015 at 09:16 PM »
Quick survey -  for those who currently own Rega turntables, particularly the rp3, what phono preamp did you pair it with?
« Last Edit: Jan 03, 2015 at 09:17 PM by tonedeaf »

Offline esr101

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #24 on: Jan 03, 2015 at 11:52 PM »
I heard the rega RP3 connected to a rega fono mini A2D and it was really impressive. Plus the price is really affordable.

Offline tonedeaf

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Jan 11, 2015 at 09:34 PM »
I heard the rega RP3 connected to a rega fono mini A2D and it was really impressive. Plus the price is really affordable.
Thank you for your input. I think this is also the combination I auditioned.