Author Topic: NAD CD Player  (Read 108957 times)

Offline Narayan

• Trade Count: (+362)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • When we change. . . the world changes with us.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 115
Re:NAD CD Player
« Reply #60 on: Mar 14, 2004 at 09:52 PM »
bro audioslve,

congrats and here's to many hours of happy listening with your new gear :D
Cayin 265Ai
Jolida 300B SET
Marantz CD5001 OSE
CA CXC + PS Audio DAC
Meadowlark Kestrel 2/ERA D10

Offline H a n $

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Gulaman time!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #61 on: Mar 15, 2004 at 10:44 AM »
Audioslave,

Sir congrats wowow bagong NAD.. ;D

Offline Audioboy

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Guru
  • "That's a matter of opinion, decide yourself"
  • Liked:
Re:NAD C542 CD Player
« Reply #62 on: Mar 15, 2004 at 03:05 PM »
My first CD Player was a NAD C521i. Unfortunately, because I love this gear so much - I decided to let it go to let the new C542 mystify my senses. For awhile, I've been using my Pioneer DVD Player to play my CDs during the interregnum when I was waiting for the availability of the NAD C542. This apparent void in my system prompted me to itch for the C542 by the passage of day. Inasmuch as owning a NAD C542 is a big leap from my present entry-level DVD Player, I immediately noticed remarkable improvements, both aesthetically and sonically. The C542 is a notch higher model than my previous C521i and equally smartly built based on NAD's signature of simplicity and superb technology.

Except for the HDCD decoder LED that I now see on the faceplate, the all-familiar battleship grey color on its casework is still immaculate although the new model now sports a rounded or circular corners on the front plate. The inside mechanism of its moving parts audaciously stands out with remarkably silent operational feel. The C542's sonic character is one that exudes desirable qualities like superb fidelity letting you enjoy more dynamic range, precised imaging, focused soundstage and extremely natural vocal and musical timbre - being an HDCD equipped player. It is like akin to inserting a WS Tono Preamp between the source and the amp whereby the previously faint or unheard of reproduction suddenly becomes alive and readily discernible. As reviewed by its maker - the C542 is boasting in low frequency slam and extension with timbral accuracy and lucid harmonic structure of its predecessor, the C541i.

This is a player that I would like to settle with for keeps and enjoy over time or until an itch to upgrade to a higher model would, once again, become an incessant craving. I don't profess to be an expert in evaluating audio gears but certainly I wouldn't be contradicting my pair of ears when I say there is little much to be desired in its lucid and clean resolution. Compared to Rotel's RCD 1070 and Exposure's 2010, the best sounding CD Players that I've heard so far, this player doesn't quite rise to the heights of the better models I've mentioned above. Nonetheless, the C542 can recreate the full richness and detail of any recordings, though it may lack the expressive dynamic range of the 2010 and the punch and thump of the 1070. Few noticeable flaws which may not be perceptible to others with better ancillary equipment can be described as being nearly bright and occasionally harsh but these weakness can be solely attributed to my weakest link -  the lesser endowed Pioneer A-405 amp. With proper coupling using better interconnects and cables, one can expect plenty of aural experience from the C542. By and large, the C542's overall signature can well be categorized as a good all-rounder CD Player with capability to play a wide variety of music types without slump in overall sonic quality.

As an example, Fleetwood Mac sounded so alive in "Dreams" while my favorite Style Council track "You're The Best Thing" is much like reminiscing the happier moments in life. Steely Dan's "Hey Nineteen" reminded me a lot of my good ole days while listening to "Pieces" by Patricia Barber is so involving. Diana Krall's "Look of Love" simply made me aware of her virtuosity as a pianist while at the same time letting me visualize how seductive she was in that music video of the same title. Playing my reference Chesky CD "The Ultimate Demonstration Disc", the C542's resolving prowess is an epitome of excellence in Rebecca Pidgeon's "Spanish Harlem". Some serious audiophile would say, the first upgrade we should mind to care is to make the most out of our source - based on the time-honored principle of  "trash in - trash out". No matter how good our amp can be, aural fantasy simply begins and boils down to how proficient our source can decode, colorize and convey those signals to our amp's input.

Inasmuch as the C542 was christened by the ever reliable NAD, a Canadian firm advocating affordable but musically superior audio gears, this CD Player is warmly recommended.

Associated Equipment:
NAD C542 CD Player -> Quantum DIY interconnects -> Pioneer A-405 Integrated Amp -> Soundstream 12AWG generic speaker cables -> Mordaunt-Short 914

CDs played (so far):
Chesky's Ultimate Demonstration Disc, Rebecca Pidgeon- The Raven, Diana Krall - The Look of Love, Patricia Barber - Verse, Fleetwood Mac - Greatest Hits, Style Council - Collection, Steely Dan - Then and Now, Red Hot Chili Peppers - Greatest Hits

:-*

nice review bro.

enjoy it. congrats!

Offline audi0slave

• DVD Addict
  • enjoy the music
  • Liked:
« Reply #63 on: Mar 15, 2004 at 03:58 PM »
thanks guys... i'm sure there will be some remarkable refinements in sound once I find the appropriate conduits or interconnects bridging the source to the amp...

since getting a NAD amp is not yet an option, any suggestions out there on what particular brand and model of ICs should be used? ...... preferably neutral to dark sounding ICs to smoothen out some occasional harshness would perhaps provide some fleeting satisfaction....

;D ::)

Offline raycor

• Collector
  • audio enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #64 on: Mar 16, 2004 at 02:14 AM »
sir congrats.. pa audition naman ;D

Offline redkoji

• DVD Addict
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: Mar 16, 2004 at 03:16 PM »
ON SALE

2 PCS.  NAD C521i NOW PRICE ONLY AT P9,800.00

FOR DETAILS CALL TEL# 893-8011

Offline cousin skeeter

• DVD Addict
  • "Eureka!!!!"
  • Liked:
« Reply #66 on: Mar 16, 2004 at 08:34 PM »
My first CD Player was a NAD C521i. Unfortunately, because I love this gear so much - I decided to let it go to let the new C542 mystify my senses. For awhile, I've been using my Pioneer DVD Player to play my CDs during the interregnum when I was waiting for the availability of the NAD C542. This apparent void in my system prompted me to itch for the C542 by the passage of day. Inasmuch as owning a NAD C542 is a big leap from my present entry-level DVD Player, I immediately noticed remarkable improvements, both aesthetically and sonically. The C542 is a notch higher model than my previous C521i and equally smartly built based on NAD's signature of simplicity and superb technology.

Except for the HDCD decoder LED that I now see on the faceplate, the all-familiar battleship grey color on its casework is still immaculate although the new model now sports a rounded or circular corners on the front plate. The inside mechanism of its moving parts audaciously stands out with remarkably silent operational feel. The C542's sonic character is one that exudes desirable qualities like superb fidelity letting you enjoy more dynamic range, precised imaging, focused soundstage and extremely natural vocal and musical timbre - being an HDCD equipped player. It is like akin to inserting a WS Tono Preamp between the source and the amp whereby the previously faint or unheard of reproduction suddenly becomes alive and readily discernible. As reviewed by its maker - the C542 is boasting in low frequency slam and extension with timbral accuracy and lucid harmonic structure of its predecessor, the C541i.

This is a player that I would like to settle with for keeps and enjoy over time or until an itch to upgrade to a higher model would, once again, become an incessant craving. I don't profess to be an expert in evaluating audio gears but certainly I wouldn't be contradicting my pair of ears when I say there is little much to be desired in its lucid and clean resolution. Compared to Rotel's RCD 1070 and Exposure's 2010, the best sounding CD Players that I've heard so far, this player doesn't quite rise to the heights of the better models I've mentioned above. Nonetheless, the C542 can recreate the full richness and detail of any recordings, though it may lack the expressive dynamic range of the 2010 and the punch and thump of the 1070. Few noticeable flaws which may not be perceptible to others with better ancillary equipment can be described as being nearly bright and occasionally harsh but these weakness can be solely attributed to my weakest link -  the lesser endowed Pioneer A-405 amp. With proper coupling using better interconnects and cables, one can expect plenty of aural experience from the C542. By and large, the C542's overall signature can well be categorized as a good all-rounder CD Player with capability to play a wide variety of music types without slump in overall sonic quality.

As an example, Fleetwood Mac sounded so alive in "Dreams" while my favorite Style Council track "You're The Best Thing" is much like reminiscing the happier moments in life. Steely Dan's "Hey Nineteen" reminded me a lot of my good ole days while listening to "Pieces" by Patricia Barber is so involving. Diana Krall's "Look of Love" simply made me aware of her virtuosity as a pianist while at the same time letting me visualize how seductive she was in that music video of the same title. Playing my reference Chesky CD "The Ultimate Demonstration Disc", the C542's resolving prowess is an epitome of excellence in Rebecca Pidgeon's "Spanish Harlem". Some serious audiophile would say, the first upgrade we should mind to care is to make the most out of our source - based on the time-honored principle of  "trash in - trash out". No matter how good our amp can be, aural fantasy simply begins and boils down to how proficient our source can decode, colorize and convey those signals to our amp's input.

Inasmuch as the C542 was christened by the ever reliable NAD, a Canadian firm advocating affordable but musically superior audio gears, this CD Player is warmly recommended.

Associated Equipment:
NAD C542 CD Player -> Quantum DIY interconnects -> Pioneer A-405 Integrated Amp -> Soundstream 12AWG generic speaker cables -> Mordaunt-Short 914

CDs played (so far):
Chesky's Ultimate Demonstration Disc, Rebecca Pidgeon- The Raven, Diana Krall - The Look of Love, Patricia Barber - Verse, Fleetwood Mac - Greatest Hits, Style Council - Collection, Steely Dan - Then and Now, Red Hot Chili Peppers - Greatest Hits

galing review mo bro. ive several queries lang

1) comparing cd playback (have no plans on purchasing hdcds anytime soon), malaki ba and diff ng 542 sa 521i? cant afford the 542 but if the 521i is as good as the 542 on cd playback or close, might settle for it.

2) maganda ba sa bass department ang 521i?

thanks!

Offline redmagic

• Collector
  • magic who?
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: Mar 18, 2004 at 06:20 PM »

Uyyy!!! NAD C521i NOW PRICE ONLY AT P9,800.00? available pa ba to sir redkoji? saang store to available?
"I already gave my best, and thus I have no regrets at all" whoa!

Offline audi0slave

• DVD Addict
  • enjoy the music
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: Mar 19, 2004 at 01:49 PM »
galing review mo bro. ive several queries lang

1) comparing cd playback (have no plans on purchasing hdcds anytime soon), malaki ba and diff ng 542 sa 521i? cant afford the 542 but if the 521i is as good as the 542 on cd playback or close, might settle for it.

2) maganda ba sa bass department ang 521i?

thanks!

cousinskeeter

based on my listening experience using the 2 models mentioned, malaki ang improvement in all aspects.... mas superior talaga ang 542 compared to the 521i.  yesterday, raycor (who recently purchased the 521bee) and I had a chance to A-B the 542 vis-a-vis his 521bee, using the same amp, same remote control and same imported high resolution CDs of the same title but my CDP (542) was hooked to the amp using a lesser quality ICs while his (521bee) was bridged to the amp using a better ICs.... and the result was..... the 542 can't seem to outshine or outperform the 521bee except that the 542's advantage in reproducing high frequencies with a tint of atmosphere is very much discernible. both CDPs excel much in the bass area of the frequency band and compared to 521i, the latter model is not in the same league as the 2 aforementioned CDPs.

;D
« Last Edit: Mar 20, 2004 at 08:57 PM by audioslave »

Offline audi0slave

• DVD Addict
  • enjoy the music
  • Liked:
« Reply #69 on: Mar 19, 2004 at 01:56 PM »
bro raycor, how's your new toy?

malaki ba ang improvement ng Paradigm mo using your new XLO Pro 600 speaker cable? not to mention the enhancement brought about by your new C521BEE.... you must be in a dreamland right now.... he he he he

Offline raycor

• Collector
  • audio enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #70 on: Mar 19, 2004 at 05:55 PM »
bro raycor, how's your new toy?

malaki ba ang improvement ng Paradigm mo using your new XLO Pro 600 speaker cable? not to mention the enhancement brought about by your new C521BEE.... you must be in a dreamland right now.... he he he he

;D it brought me into heaven.. hehe ;D  

Offline H a n $

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Gulaman time!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #71 on: Mar 20, 2004 at 06:15 PM »
raycor,

Pre congrats sir ganda yan wowowow!!..

Offline kimpao

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Gulaman-gulaman!
  • Liked:
« Reply #72 on: Mar 20, 2004 at 06:29 PM »
rayor,

congrats din sa bago mong toy!!! :D

Offline kid

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • DVD Guru
  • Certified Kwela Boys
  • Liked:
« Reply #73 on: Mar 20, 2004 at 06:55 PM »
audioslave and raycor,

kelan natin ma audition yang bago nyong laruan, ganda ng cdp nyo sana magkaron din ko ng ganyan.. hehe congrats din!  ;D ;D ;D

Offline audi0slave

• DVD Addict
  • enjoy the music
  • Liked:
« Reply #74 on: Mar 20, 2004 at 09:05 PM »
punk kid,

na-try ko na MS 914 powered by NAD C320BEE int-amp which was graciously lent to me by raycor.... and have I told you that it nearly approximated the warmth of tube amp? he he he he  :o

btw, sabi ko naman sayo punta ka lang dito sa bahay nang ma-audition mo MS914. gusto mo samahan pa kita sa 5th Avenue para maka-discount ka...  :-*

Offline kid

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • DVD Guru
  • Certified Kwela Boys
  • Liked:
« Reply #75 on: Mar 22, 2004 at 09:08 AM »
punk kid,

btw, sabi ko naman sayo punta ka lang dito sa bahay nang ma-audition mo MS914. gusto mo samahan pa kita sa 5th Avenue para maka-discount ka...  :-*

hayaan mo bro one of these days i'll visit you para mapakinggan ko ung MS914 mo, nag iipon pa kasi ko...
« Last Edit: Mar 22, 2004 at 09:38 AM by punk_kid »

Offline cousin skeeter

• DVD Addict
  • "Eureka!!!!"
  • Liked:
« Reply #76 on: Mar 22, 2004 at 01:15 PM »
cousinskeeter

based on my listening experience using the 2 models mentioned, malaki ang improvement in all aspects.... mas superior talaga ang 542 compared to the 521i.  yesterday, raycor (who recently purchased the 521bee) and I had a chance to A-B the 542 vis-a-vis his 521bee, using the same amp, same remote control and same imported high resolution CDs of the same title but my CDP (542) was hooked to the amp using a lesser quality ICs while his (521bee) was bridged to the amp using a better ICs.... and the result was..... the 542 can't seem to outshine or outperform the 521bee except that the 542's advantage in reproducing high frequencies with a tint of atmosphere is very much discernible. both CDPs excel much in the bass area of the frequency band and compared to 521i, the latter model is not in the same league as the 2 aforementioned CDPs.

;D

sorry for the late reply. thanks bro! good thing you did an AB comparison between the 521bee and the 542. was really interested how big a difference the 542 had over the 521i. follow up question, magkano ngayon 521bee and where? thanks again!

Offline Archangel

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #77 on: Mar 22, 2004 at 01:46 PM »
Cousin Skeeter, the 521BEE is available from Studio Systems or any of their dealers for 13.5k.  A dealer, AV Surfer, has a 0% interest promo for the summer for Equitable cards!  
« Last Edit: Mar 22, 2004 at 01:48 PM by Archangel »

Offline redkoji

• DVD Addict
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #78 on: Mar 22, 2004 at 02:41 PM »
Cousin Skeeter, the 521BEE is available from Studio Systems or any of their dealers for 13.5k.  A dealer, AV Surfer, has a 0% interest promo for the summer for Equitable cards!  

Good day Skeeter,

Currently, I'm not aware of any promo for C521BEE under AV Surfer. Can you let me know which branch of AV Surfer claiming such.

Your price of C521BEE is right...it can be purchase at P13.5K...

For those interested there is still one unit of C521i available at P9.8K...please contact for details....893-8011

Offline cousin skeeter

• DVD Addict
  • "Eureka!!!!"
  • Liked:
« Reply #79 on: Mar 22, 2004 at 05:38 PM »
thanks guys. hmmmm... considerable din pala price difference from 521i... think muna ako ::) ::) ::)

Offline Archangel

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #80 on: Mar 22, 2004 at 06:55 PM »
Good day Skeeter,

Currently, I'm not aware of any promo for C521BEE under AV Surfer. Can you let me know which branch of AV Surfer claiming such.

Your price of C521BEE is right...it can be purchase at P13.5K...

For those interested there is still one unit of C521i available at P9.8K...please contact for details....893-8011

The promo is not for NAD products specifically but for their offerings as whole at least that's what Equitable Card says.  I hope the NADs are included like they were the last time.
« Last Edit: Mar 22, 2004 at 06:59 PM by Archangel »

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #81 on: Mar 23, 2004 at 05:15 PM »

Can this CD player decode HDCD?  Thks.
« Last Edit: Mar 25, 2004 at 03:48 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline iceman90a

• DVD Guru
  • picture this!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #82 on: Mar 23, 2004 at 05:23 PM »
Can this CD player decode HCDC?  Thks.

nope - that would be the 542...
money is best spent

Offline Don_Camote

• Collector
  • Have a good one!
  • Liked:
« Reply #83 on: Mar 24, 2004 at 12:45 PM »
Ubos na pala agad C521BEE according to PJ.  Kelan kaya magkaroon ng stock uli Boss Redkoji?

Offline cousin skeeter

• DVD Addict
  • "Eureka!!!!"
  • Liked:
« Reply #84 on: Mar 24, 2004 at 01:35 PM »
ubos na? was planning to audition them on friday. punta pa nman ako manila tomorrow. wrong timing talaga.  :( :(

does anyone know the telephone number of spectra? or if they still have the 521bee.thanks!
« Last Edit: Mar 24, 2004 at 01:44 PM by cousin skeeter »

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #85 on: Mar 25, 2004 at 03:47 PM »

does anyone know the telephone number of spectra? or if they still have the 521bee.thanks!

Don't have it offhand, but you can check at the General Section on Drectory of Audio/Video Shops. I think Studio Systems is Spectra,  

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #86 on: Mar 25, 2004 at 03:48 PM »
nope - that would be the 542...

Any idea if this model is still available and the price?  Thanks.

Offline cousin skeeter

• DVD Addict
  • "Eureka!!!!"
  • Liked:
« Reply #87 on: Mar 25, 2004 at 04:23 PM »
peeps,

just wana know if anyone has done a comparison of 521i and 521bee. is the sound difference that big? studio systems doesnt have a 521bee for me to be able to compare both of them. am kinda leaning on the 521i coz its within budget. any comments anyone? will audition the 521i tomorow.

thanks!

Offline dr. jekyll

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #88 on: Mar 25, 2004 at 05:01 PM »
ubos na? was planning to audition them on friday. punta pa nman ako manila tomorrow. wrong timing talaga.  :( :(

as of last saturday, spectra still had units of the 521bee.  i'm not sure if they still have the 521i though.  :)

Offline iceman90a

• DVD Guru
  • picture this!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #89 on: Mar 25, 2004 at 05:08 PM »
as of last saturday, spectra still had units of the 521bee.  i'm not sure if they still have the 521i though.  :)

Pre, kumuha ka na ba?  :)
money is best spent