Author Topic: CNN International Re-Launch  (Read 1490 times)

Offline nixenzo

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • D'oh!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
CNN International Re-Launch
« on: Feb 07, 2006 at 10:54 AM »
From the Digital Spy
CNN International will launch a major overhaul of its on-screen presentation on February 5 in a move described as a "radical move away from the cluttered screens and heavy graphics that currently prevail in today's rolling news and business networks."

No part of the channel's design will be spared in the re-design: the network's logo will be repositioned and receive a new treatment, network identity spots and music will be revamped, fonts in the lower-third bars will be changed, and full-screen information graphics will get a new look. The colour scheme used on CNNI will also undergo a revamp, with the channel adapting the internationally-recognised "alert" colour, yellow, for breaking news graphics.

The news ticker, which has run at the bottom of CNNI's screen since September 11, 2001, will be replaced with a new information bar that displays one complete sentence or story at a time.

"While this new design is more evolution than revolution," said CNNI senior VP Rena Golden, "our priority is to ensure that our viewers around the globe, many of whom do not speak English as a first language, understand and engage with the news we deliver. The uncluttered screen and enhanced concise graphics will now allow our video and journalism to breathe fully."

In the second phase of the redesign, new sets will be built for the network in Atlanta, London and Hong Kong.

The design work for the channel's new look was overseen by CNNI creative director Mark Wright, who worked with various international creative agencies and the London-based independent consultant Frank Lampen.

Yikes! I hope these are just mocks! It looks BBC-ish. Pero, mukha syang closed caption! Or subs! I wonder if it'll work. They're using the time-tested format for years now. I'm still excited, though.
Librarian

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
Re: CNN International Re-Launch
« Reply #1 on: Feb 07, 2006 at 06:09 PM »
They were long overdue for a makeover, since they've constantly been losing viewers to Fox News for several years now. If I'm not mistaken, Fox News actually has better ratings in the US.

It's February 7, though - meron pa rin red news ticker instead of the information bar. Was the revamp delayed?
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline AshKetchum

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 31
« Reply #2 on: Feb 07, 2006 at 06:31 PM »
They were long overdue for a makeover, since they've constantly been losing viewers to Fox News for several years now. If I'm not mistaken, Fox News actually has better ratings in the US.

That's CNN USA--I don't think CNN International is shown in the USA, just selected programs.

And yup, the revamp was delayed to Friday, Feb. 10.
« Last Edit: Feb 08, 2006 at 11:05 AM by AshKetchum »

Offline nixenzo

• Collector
  • D'oh!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Feb 09, 2006 at 11:23 AM »
As said earlier, the re-launch was delayed (Having second thoughts  ???) to Friday. Although, Asian viewers may see the new-look CNN Saturday morning.
Librarian

Offline nixenzo

• Collector
  • D'oh!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Feb 11, 2006 at 08:55 AM »
Anyone seen it yet? ??? I retract that it looks BBC-ish. It looked like Sky News :P It's not bad, but it's not really that  good, either.
Librarian

Offline AshKetchum

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 31
« Reply #5 on: Feb 11, 2006 at 02:05 PM »
I like it a lot--it looks neat and uncluttered. From the initial screencaps it looks bland, but onscreen it's not static at all--things are in constant motion as captions transform into cubes during transition, and even the now-stylized globe after the CNN logo has retained its rotation.  8)

I like the color codes for each news format (black for news, green for sports, blue green for business, etc) and that the "ticker" can now be read at a glance, no more of that irritating scrolling.

At least it's now radically different from the USA version of CNN, whose look is ugly and loud--big, fat letters that make it appear they're shouting to their viewers.
« Last Edit: Feb 11, 2006 at 02:06 PM by AshKetchum »

Offline nixenzo

• Collector
  • D'oh!
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Feb 11, 2006 at 03:45 PM »
At least it's now radically different from the USA version of CNN, whose look is ugly and loud--big, fat letters that make it appear they're shouting to their viewers.

I hate American news graphics, they're distracting. I like CNBC America's, though. Anyway, I have a slight OC-ness, so I gotta say that I like the way they put the graphics on ALL of their programs (Except for the World Report, I think). Love the new weather graphic, very similar to the BBC, but MUCH better execution. And yes, the graphics are alive. I also like the new ticker, but I hate the color. I looks like a cheap internet news bar, but hey, it works. Oh, wait, it doesn't. I saw the latest market info:

N/A N/A (Down) N/A N/A

Hehe. 'Di pa sanay.

P.S. I waited all morning for the new-look CNN, which the anchors keep on saying whenever they could  :P
« Last Edit: Feb 11, 2006 at 03:48 PM by nixenzo »
Librarian