Author Topic: Old TV Series You Miss/Wish Were Re-Airing  (Read 45873 times)

Offline X44

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Stupidity is a heinous crime.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Old TV Series You Miss/Wish Were Re-Airing
« on: May 19, 2003 at 06:26 PM »
Sort of kamaganak nung sitcom thread at kung anumang TV series thread na nage-exist out there. . .this is to pay tribute to those dear departed TV shows (excluding sitcoms) na we wish were back on air. (With Solar airing most of them, chances are, they could come back).

Post your lists and discuss.

I'll make up mine and post later.

But to kickstart, I'll mention one. . .

Cop Rock
« Last Edit: May 19, 2003 at 06:27 PM by X44 »

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Twitter: @indieboi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Old TV Series You Miss/Wish Were Re-Airing
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2003 at 06:37 PM »
TV Series I miss are:

Absolutely Fabulous - two drugged out and alcohol addled fashionistas trying to make sense of everday life. Their weekly misadventures was my reward after a long day's work.

The Black Adder - a historical sitcom, only Rowan Atkinson can imagine this premise.

Wiseguy - Although the storyline deteriorated after the second season, this was still one of the grittiest shows ever aired on TV.

The Equalizer - Edward Woodward was da man!!

The Avengers - Mrs. Peel. Need I say more?

Wild Wild West - I have fond childhood memories of this series when reruns were shown on IBC 13.

And I have echoed this time and again:

Sapphire and Steel -- One of the best TV serials ever made that hardly anyone knows or remembers.

Offline X44

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2003 at 06:51 PM »
The Avengers - Mrs. Peel. Need I say more?

I am slowly but surely building up my collection of Mrs.Peel DVDs. (I have two boxed sets already. Still a long way to go) The writing is terrific. I think Avengers was a precursor to the X Files and  Steed and Peel are the forebears of Scully and Mulder, facing one mysterious conundrum after the other - - -a man gets drowned in an open field, an entire Army base's personnel  disappears into thin air,etc.etc.- - - each and every week. Of course Scully never had Mrs.Peel's fashion sense. I love you, Gillian, but Diana Rigg is mucho yummier in my book!  ;D

Wild Wild West - I have fond childhood memories of this series when reruns were shown on IBC 13.

This is showing on Solar almost every night, indie.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2003 at 06:52 PM by X44 »

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2003 at 07:00 PM »
This is showing on Solar almost every night, indie.

Coolness! I'll try to catch it if I can. Thanks. ;D

Offline X44

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2003 at 07:07 PM »
Here's some of mine:

Cop Rock It fails magnificently. But I like how the idea felt daredevil and absurd, avant and ridiculous all at the same time. Couched in the ultra-safe comfort zones of network TV, it was a tightrope walk for Steven Bochco. Of course, it didn't deliver. But again, for the pure sensation of the idea, I'd see this again.

Crime Story / Starsky & Hutch - Michael Mann's two TV master strokes. The first was his short-lived retro crime series which topbilled the flinty Dennis Farina ,as Frank Torelo, and made a star (albeit briefly) out of Anthony Denison who played suave gangster  Ray Luca. Darlanne Fleugel and David Caruso also made brief appearances and Todd Rundgren wrote the music. The ending of the final episode beats any Hollywood movie for sheer black comic absurdist/anarchic audacity.

Starsky and Hutch is just cool.

Kolchak The Night Stalker Another X Files forebear. Probably thin if we see it again (as some of the once creepy as f-u-c-k Night Gallery episodes are turning out to be now that they're being replayed on Solar) but this was one of the first serieses that I followed religiously. The next time I was as devout about a series was NYPD Blue (David Caruso's run only). . .

. . .and Millennium IMHO, many times prefarable to Chris Carter's other series(you all know what that is). Dark, sometimes relentlessly so, and creepy, in ways Tv shows shouldn't be. Lance Hendriksen is one of my favorite actors of all time so that's a plus. I'm also really curious about Carter's short-lived Harsh Realm. No less than one of my fave writers William Gibson raves about it , which has made me curious.

Pee Wee's Playhouse I only saw episodes of this on tape and I own a laserdisc of the Christmas special but if this pops up on cable one of these days, I will be very very happy. I'm a big fan of Paul Reubens' Pee Wee Herman character and this is Pee Wee at his weird best.

Twin Peaks But of course. The whole run.

UFO This is out on DVD now but I still aven't coughed up the dough to snap up my own copy. Everything about this - - -the gadgets ,the theme music, the uber-cool Stryker and that luscious lady lead whatsherface - - -smacks of kitschy sci-fic cool.

More to come. . .
« Last Edit: May 19, 2003 at 07:12 PM by X44 »

Offline gurang

• DVD Addict
  • Behind every myth is a liar
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2003 at 07:19 PM »
I've extolled NewsRadio enough in the other thread.  ;D But of course, it won't be the same with Phil Hartman gone. But I'd love to see episodes re-air on RP TV. Along with episodes of M*A*S*H, Black Adder, Scrubs, South Park, The Tick, the Newharts, Soap, The Ben Stiller Show, The Larry Sanders Show, Your Show of Shows, Get Smart, Andy Richter, Wonder Woman, Conan, The Daily Show with Jon Stewart, Unsolved Mysteries, and a few others.

Shows cut before their prime and that I'd like to see new episodes of include Buddy Faro, Greg the Bunny, Picket Fences, The Powers That Be, Chicago Hope, Star Trek TOS, Seven Days, and probably a few others I cannot name at the top of my head right now.

[modified to add]

oh crap, how could I have forgotten to add The Avengers, Mrs. Peel rocks the Casbah! As I said before, bring back the i Channel!

and I'd like to see The Prisoner as well. Haven't seen an eppy, but sounds like something I'd really enjoy.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2003 at 07:25 PM by gurang »

Offline X44

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2003 at 07:25 PM »
Wonder Woman

Lynda Carter! YOW!  ;D

BTW, there's news that The Ben Stiller Show will be coming out in DVD boxed sets soon. Or has that come to pass already?

The Prisoner is wonderful. I have the first two DVDs of it and so far it's been rocking. I want to buy up the rest of the set but it's too steep for me at the moment.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2003 at 07:27 PM by X44 »

Offline gurang

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2003 at 07:36 PM »
Lynda Carter! YOW!  ;D

Dame Diana over Lynda for me. But, when I first heard that Lynda Carter was married to Robert Altman, I thought, not only has she beauty, she also has taste.

Of course it turned out to be a different Robert Altman...

Offline gumby

• DVD Addict
  • The future rested on my shoulders...and I shrugged
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2003 at 07:52 PM »
Andy Richter

Is this the one na ang full title eh Andy Richter Controls The Universe? Saw the pilot and it was so funny :D

Wonder Woman

Heheh - just downloaded several episodes - including the one featuring a very young Debra Winger as Wonder Girl :D :D

Offline gurang

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2003 at 08:01 PM »
Is this the one na ang full title eh Andy Richter Controls The Universe?

Yup. The few episodes I've seen were are very funny.

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2003 at 09:09 PM »
Tv series that I terribly missed....

STARSKY & HUTCH- David Soul was unknown then before he sang "DON'T GIVE UP ON US" which sad to say his first and last hit!
I forgot his buddy on this t.v. series.

On the local front who can forget CEBU?
Book 1 & 2 are fantastic! Too bad that Cherie Gil was no longer connected with Book 2.

Offline johndoe

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2003 at 09:13 PM »
is THE WONDER YEARS classified ase a tv series? ;)

Offline bedan_debater

• Apprentice
  • Deductive Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2003 at 12:22 AM »
The NANNY
Highlander
Seinfeld

Offline sungit

• Konsehal
  • DVD Guru
  • I'm a level 5 vegan.
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2003 at 01:21 AM »
oooh ooooh The Equalizer! you know the other day i was trying to remember the these song to the show. but man, edward woodward kicked ass.

i'd have to say i miss watching 21 Jumpstreet a lot. loved the theme song, loved the undercover cops in school premise, loved johnny depp. did you guys know they're making this into a movie? ;D

Cebu's a good call keating. i never missed a single episode of that well-written soap. didn't really like season 2 though but still pretty much a landmark local TV production.

i was a big fan of Knots Landing when i was a kid. amon all those 80's primetime soaps, this was the one i liked best... must be the whole subarban feel to it.

how can i forget My So-Called Life? i was so hooked on this when i was a sophomore in highschool. i felt, like every other girl struggling with adolescence, like i WAS clare danes. and her scenes with jared leto were sooo damn well-written, so real. "He leans well." sigh. thank god it's out on DVD.

China Beach is also something i wish i could see again. i loved this show and had the hugest crush on ned vaughn. one of the few TV shows that made me cry... though i can't remember the particular episode that did my tears in.

i was just reminscing about Moonlighting over dinner because the theme song was playing in the radio. i liked the sexual tension between cybil sheperd and bruce willis.

the A-Team! i thought mr. T was a god! i'm sure after knightrider's run on star, they're gonna show this one next.

then again there's also Remington Steele, Hunter, TJ Hooker...

Offline wedge

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Scott me up, beamie!
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2003 at 06:07 AM »
Doogie Howser MD - I didn't get to appreciate it till the reruns in Star World when I was in college.

Dark Skies - a rip-off of the `alien conspiracy' part of the X-Files, but it was quite good. Too bad they pulled it off the air before the season ended.

Punky Brewster - hmm, I'd rather prefer the grown-up Soleil Moon Frye.  ;D

Lois and Clark - ...Teri Hatcher, what can I say?  :)

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2003 at 08:09 AM »
Here's some of mine:

Cop Rock It fails magnificently. But I like how the idea felt daredevil and absurd, avant and ridiculous all at the same time. Couched in the ultra-safe comfort zones of network TV, it was a tightrope walk for Steven Bochco. Of course, it didn't deliver. But again, for the pure sensation of the idea, I'd see this again.

Kolchak The Night Stalker Another X Files forebear. Probably thin if we see it again (as some of the once creepy as f-u-c-k Night Gallery episodes are turning out to be now that they're being replayed on Solar) but this was one of the first serieses that I followed religiously. The next time I was as devout about a series was NYPD Blue (David Caruso's run only). . .

. . .and Millennium IMHO, many times prefarable to Chris Carter's other series(you all know what that is). Dark, sometimes relentlessly so, and creepy, in ways Tv shows shouldn't be. Lance Hendriksen is one of my favorite actors of all time so that's a plus. I'm also really curious about Carter's short-lived Harsh Realm. No less than one of my fave writers William Gibson raves about it , which has made me curious.

I knew you'd cite Kolchak!  ;D I want to watch this series too, unfortunately, I haven't seen a single episode as it was pulled from the air when I started really getting into TV programs.

I forgot about Millennium. That was one freaky, stylish series. Too bad they didn't finish the whole story. There's actually a bunch of Millennium fans that have been making weekly "episodes" of Millennium until the supposed series ender. I don't know if the online series has ended though.

Offline gumby

• DVD Addict
  • The future rested on my shoulders...and I shrugged
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2003 at 08:29 AM »
oooh ooooh The Equalizer! you know the other day i was trying to remember the these song to the show. but man, edward woodward kicked ass.

I agree - the theme song was heavy with synthesizers but it set the mood of the episode perfectly.

i was a big fan of Knots Landing when i was a kid. amon all those 80's primetime soaps, this was the one i liked best... must be the whole subarban feel to it.

Hey me too! Admittedly I got into the series in the last three seasons na but I managed to see the remaining seasons via replays. I liked the tension between Nicolette Sheridan and Willian Devane, even though it was such a May-December relationship.

China Beach is also something i wish i could see again. i loved this show and had the hugest crush on ned vaughn. one of the few TV shows that made me cry... though i can't remember the particular episode that did my tears in.

For me it was Marg Halgenberger - the first redhead I fell for :) This series, paired with Tour Of Duty, is a must-watch for me back then.

i was just reminscing about Moonlighting over dinner because the theme song was playing in the radio. i liked the sexual tension between cybil sheperd and bruce willis.

Again I agree! The first few seasons of the show was a great mix of humor, sexual tension and intrigue. It kinda dipped when Cybill got pregnant (and the subsequent miscarriage) and Bruce had to carry the show by himself.

the A-Team! i thought mr. T was a god! i'm sure after knightrider's run on star, they're gonna show this one next.

Oh I do hope so! George Peppard as Hannibal Smith was classic!

then again there's also Remington Steele, Hunter, TJ Hooker...

Ahhh Pierce Brosnan and William Shatner - I just wanna see Heather Locklear though  ;D

Offline AshKetchum

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 31
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2003 at 10:54 AM »
I forgot about Millennium. That was one freaky, stylish series. Too bad they didn't finish the whole story.

Chris Carter officially ended Millennium's story by having Lance Henriksen guest in an episode of "The X-Files". Also titled "Millennium", that episode was extremely creepy, but had a nice ending to Frank Black's story, even though it seemed rushed.

One show I miss that probably no one here remembers is "Northern Exposure", about a snooty, whiny Jewish doctor who is forced to work in some remote small town in Alaska. It was great show, quirky and funny, with excellent characters, great music, and spectacular scenery. The series wasn't the same when the lead actor, Rob Morrow, left to pursue a movie career, and it was soon cancelled after its 6th season. Wish they'd release it on DVD...
« Last Edit: May 20, 2003 at 10:56 AM by AshKetchum »

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2003 at 11:00 AM »
Chris Carter officially ended Millennium's story by having Lance Henriksen guest in an episode of "The X-Files". Also titled "Millennium", that episode was extremely creepy, but had a nice ending to Frank Black's story, even though it seemed rushed.

One show I miss that probably no one here remembers is "Northern Exposure", about a snooty, whiny Jewish doctor who is forced to work in some remote small town in Alaska. It was great show, quirky and funny, with excellent characters, great music, and spectacular scenery. The series wasn't the same when the lead actor, Rob Morrow, left to pursue a movie career, and it was soon cancelled after its 6th season. Wish they'd release it on DVD...

I saw that X-Files episode too. But i feel that it was wanting. You're right, it felt rushed. Parang gusto na lang tapusin ni Carter yung Millennium mythology once and for all.

I miss Millennium. Too bad I don't have a VHS player as I recorded as much of the episodes on tape as I possibly could. I think I even have the complete first season.

Offline tripleDot

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2003 at 02:03 PM »
Mickey Spilain's Mike Hammer
Moonlighting
Beyond Reasonable Doubts
Midnight Caller
The Professionals (the British CI5)
The Equalizer (I love Woodward's accent)
A-Team (Murdock   ;D)
Nam, Tour of Duty
Wonder Years (I know one of the cable channel is still showing this)
Knight Rider
Buck Rogers
The Cosby Show
"V"

and my favorite TV series soundtrack... Hill Street Blues.

Offline gurang

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2003 at 02:15 PM »

I remember Northern Exposure with much fondness. Can't believe I left it out on my earlier list. That show was just poetry. Have been awaiting it on DVD as well.

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2003 at 03:09 PM »
I suddenly remembered my childhood guilty pleasure:

Trapper John M.D.  ;D

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2003 at 05:12 PM »
I usually get shows out of my system before they're cancelled, but I guess I miss a few shows that evoke pleasant childhood memories:

"V"

Buck Rogers

Eight Is Enough

BJ and the Bear

Among the more recently cancelled shows I miss are:

Seinfeld

Buffy The Vampire Slayer

Speaking of "TV Series You Miss," what do you guys think of REUNION shows? I used to think they were fun and nostalgic:

Eight is Enough: A Family Reunion

I Dream of Jeannie: 15 Years Later

Knots Landing: Back to the Cul-De-Sac

Dallas: J.R. Returns

But the more recent ones have been really disgusting:

Dallas: War of the Ewings

The Growing Pains Movie

L.A. Law: The Movie
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline gurang

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2003 at 05:33 PM »
My favorite reunion specials were those that aired one day in Late Show with Letterman. He announced the on-air reunion of the casts of such popular shows as Happy Days, or The Love Boat. The curtain would open as he'd announce the show, and a bunch of actors who vaguely resemble the cast-members of the show announced would start hugging each other and jumping for joy as the curtain fell on them.

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2003 at 06:48 PM »
I usually get shows out of my system before they're cancelled, but I guess I miss a few shows that evoke pleasant childhood memories:

"V"

Buck Rogers

Eight Is Enough

BJ and the Bear

Among the more recently cancelled shows I miss are:

Seinfeld

Buffy The Vampire Slayer

Speaking of "TV Series You Miss," what do you guys think of REUNION shows? I used to think they were fun and nostalgic:

Eight is Enough: A Family Reunion

I Dream of Jeannie: 15 Years Later

Knots Landing: Back to the Cul-De-Sac

Dallas: J.R. Returns

But the more recent ones have been really disgusting:

Dallas: War of the Ewings

The Growing Pains Movie

L.A. Law: The Movie

You know it was still a relatively innocent time when you watch TV shows with a title like BJ and The Bear.  ;D  

I still can't believe that BJ was pre-My Two Dads Greg Evigan. I hear the guy posed for Playgirl when his career was hitting the skids.

Offline GL2814

• Collector
  • In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night...
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2003 at 07:16 PM »
Magnum P.I.
Remington Steele
LA Law
Highlander
Quantum Leap

Offline CrUzSACK

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm a paranoid schizophrenic. I am an entourage.
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2003 at 08:12 PM »
Doogie Howser MD.  And I'm thinking twice about writing this down but..... I miss the first, *only the first*, season of Beverly Hills 90210. :)  :-[ Particularly the episode where Brenda and Dylan got together as boyfriend-girlfriend. ::)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2003 at 08:17 PM by CrUzSACK »

Offline sungit

• Konsehal
  • DVD Guru
  • I'm a level 5 vegan.
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2003 at 05:01 AM »
i can't believe i didn't put Northern Exposure! i never failed to watch an episode (my favorite's the ep they did about the Aurora Borealis. brilliant.) i loved it so much i even bought the t-shirt and pins... which i still have to this day. and sorry to all SATC fans out there, but john corbett was far more sexier here than as Aidan the Dumped. ;D

gumby, this is so weird but i only started really following Knots when it had 3 seasons to go. great minds think alike.

Offline Mrs. T

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • SALABABIZ !!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2003 at 05:10 AM »
Tv series that I terribly missed....

STARSKY & HUTCH- David Soul was unknown then before he sang "DON'T GIVE UP ON US" which sad to say his first and last hit!
I forgot his buddy on this t.v. series.

I think his name is Paul Michael Glaser...

Offline Swiss Knife

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2003 at 07:58 AM »
I really miss MacGyver.