Author Topic: PAL and NTSC?  (Read 6810 times)

Offline drjdm319

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
PAL and NTSC?
« on: Aug 20, 2006 at 09:38 PM »
I have successfully played Region 1 and 3 DVDs in my supposedly multi-region DVD player (Philips).  Both Region 1 and 3 DVDs are NTSC, di ba? According to the manual of the player, pwede din daw PAL na DVDs (meaning R2 or R4). Question: dapat ba ang TV monitor ko NTSC and PAL compatible din? Will I not be able to view R2 and R4 PAL DVDs if my TV system is NTSc even if I play them on a multiregion DVD player?  HELP and Thanks

Offline voj

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • Ephesians 2:8-9
  • Liked:
Re: PAL and NTSC?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 20, 2006 at 10:19 PM »
I have successfully played Region 1 and 3 DVDs in my supposedly multi-region DVD player (Philips).  Both Region 1 and 3 DVDs are NTSC, di ba? According to the manual of the player, pwede din daw PAL na DVDs (meaning R2 or R4). Question: dapat ba ang TV monitor ko NTSC and PAL compatible din? Will I not be able to view R2 and R4 PAL DVDs if my TV system is NTSc even if I play them on a multiregion DVD player?  HELP and Thanks

Regioning and TV system are two different things.  There are R3 PAL, if I am not mistaken, I believe  the Philippines is the only R3 NTSC country due to the influence of American interests in the Philippines.  There is also R2 NTSC which is Japan also due to the American occupation after WWII.  PAL and NTSC are video frequency broadcasting standards adopted by different countries while DVD regions are the way DVD manufactures thought they could control piracy and grey market imports.

To answer your question, multi-region DVD players assure you that any DVD can be played on your player (provided they are on same video standard).  Newer DVDs also have internal video converters so that they can play any region, any video standard on your TV, multisystem or otherwise

Offline drjdm319

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Aug 21, 2006 at 07:05 PM »
From an apprenctice to a DVD addict ...... THANKS voj. 

Offline oReOsHaKe

• Trade Count: (+642)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #3 on: Apr 22, 2007 at 10:09 AM »
Is there a difference between NTSC and PAL in terms of PQ?
DALI OPTICON 8 : Zensor : Polk Audio F/XiA4 : ONKYO 5010 : OPPO BDP-103 : Panny AE8000 : Dual PB1000

Offline YrNeH

• DVD Addict
  • Shalom! maging payapa...
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Jun 18, 2007 at 06:05 AM »
Is there a difference between NTSC and PAL in terms of PQ?
here's a good read re above topic.

http://www.michaeldvd.com.au/Articles/PALvsNTSC/PALvsNTSC.asp