This is my first posting. Ok to finally clear up the matter:
- most original DVDs released today are DVD9, reason is to lessen the compression and improve quality.
- most fake DVDs are DVD5, reason is to sell it at a lower price as single layer disc is cheaper but quality suffers.
- to easily distinguish quality between 5 and 9, watch the movie on your computer, preferrably on bigger monitors 17"+
- distinguishing between 5 and 9 by just looking at the discs alone is virtually impossible.
- if you want to be sure, bring a notebook when buying DVDs and look at the capacity. DVD5 is almost 5GB and DVD9 is almost 9GB.
Hope this helps