Author Topic: Off Topic: Movie Actors on Stage  (Read 910 times)

Offline eman59

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Off Topic: Movie Actors on Stage
« on: May 04, 2006 at 02:59 PM »
This is off topic but what the hell.  Many movie actors have done their best work on stage; a handful even started their careers in theater.  The best ones I remember:

Ben Rubio in "Mga Ama, Mga Anak" loomed large on the PETA stage as the obstinate patriarch of an aristocratic family whose luster was fading as fast as the walls of old Manila.  The best adaptation I've seen of a Nick Joaquin piece, superior to any of the countless Portraits of an Artist that get staged year after year.

Laurice Guillen made an excellent Blanche Dubois in "Flores Para Los Muertos," also for PETA, helmed by Lino.  Phillip Salvador as Stanley, fresh from his Mananayaw debut, wasn't bad, wasn't great.

Anton Juan put the best ensemble cast I've ever watched on the humblest of stages -- the lobby (actually a pasilyo) of the UP Faculty Center -- for Boy Noriega's "Bayan Bayanan:"  Adul de Leon, Maya Valdes, Fides Cuyugan Asencio, Susan Valdez, Spanky Manikan. 

Rita Gomez acting only with a telephone in a tour de force performance of "Boses," based on Cocteau's "The Sound of the Human Voice."

Bembol Roco trying to save his skin as a gay concentration camp inmate in Nazi Germany in "Lihis," an adaptation of "Bent" where he took on the role that Richard Gere played on Broadway.  The original UP production of the play was better than this version, but Bembol gave it his all.

Adul de Leon (again) as the millionairess seeking revenge on the town that scorned her in "Ang Pagdalaw ng Senyora," Rolando Tinio's expressionistic adaptation of "The Visit." 

Lino, Orlando Nadres and Manny Castaneda hamming it up in "Hanggang Dito na Lamang at Maraming Salamat Po," a big hit for PETA.

Malu de Guzman, one of the best actresses I know and now an ABS-CBN teleserye mainstay, as "Anna Kleiber."

What's the most memorable you've seen?

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm afraid of the quiet man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
Re: Off Topic: Movie Actors on Stage
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2006 at 03:13 PM »
The most memorable I know happened offstage--the battle between Lino against everyone else on the casting of Philip Salvador for his Streetcar production. Laurice and Mario O was on one side, LIno stood alone on the other, with Philip.

A lot of friendships were broken by that brouhaha, or at least, a lot of unhappy feelings started from it.

Ah hell, bad memories.

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Off Topic: Movie Actors on Stage
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2006 at 09:30 AM »
but who can forget Nora Aunor's impeccable stage debut in PETA's Minsa'y Isang Gamu-Gamo and its equally succesful follow-up D.H.? (actually Nora first appeared on stage in Taghoy Ng Troya (Trojan Women) although many consider Minsa'y as her first stage play).
« Last Edit: May 05, 2006 at 09:31 AM by Jojo Devera »