Author Topic: DVD-busters: HD-DVD, Blu-ray discs and EVD  (Read 73264 times)

Offline lazy_maze

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • You imbecile!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: D-VHS: New Format To Challenge DVD?
« Reply #30 on: Feb 05, 2002 at 06:20 AM »
TAPE:

Prone to moulding
Prone to breaking (once it gets stuck in the mechanism)
Prone to quick wear (because it goes along rollers, spindles, even the head that reads the tape)
Prone to warping, creasing

« Last Edit: Jan 01, 1970 at 08:00 AM by 1016344800 »

Offline vacuumtubes

• DVD Guru
  • Smile!
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: Mar 09, 2002 at 02:31 AM »
for your information.

Offline bently

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: Mar 09, 2002 at 02:52 AM »
i really feel that the Philippines has nothing to worry about this technology.

as it has been stated, d-vhs doesn't intend to replace the dvd format.
the purpose of this device if for high definition TV Subscribers to record their high definition t.v. shows on tape, since the existing vhs format is not able to do so.
i have seen this device already and it is very similar to our existing vhs player/recorders. the only difference is that it needs a firewire connection to the TV set and  a high definition receiver box to get the signals.

bently
.·´ `·. . ><((((º> . .·´ `·. . .·´ `·. . <º))))><
.·´ `·. . .·´ `·. . ><((((º> .·´ `·. . .·´ `·. . .
·. . .·´ `·. . .><((((º>.·´ `·. . .·´ `·. . .·´ `·. .

Offline Sputnik

• Collector
  • What did you did?!!!
  • Liked:
Is the DVD format here to stay? DVD vs. Blu-ray and D-VHS
« Reply #33 on: Apr 23, 2001 at 03:52 PM »
I've been wondering...would the dvd format last just like vhs? Now that SACD and dvd-audio is introduced does that mean that we have to upgrade our trusty and ever reliable dvd players?
« Last Edit: Feb 04, 2003 at 11:23 AM by Kahon »

Offline Phobos

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Forum Nazi
  • Liked:
Re: Is the DVD format here to stay?
« Reply #34 on: Apr 23, 2001 at 06:05 PM »
I'd like to think so. I've been hearing a lot of new formats being proposed (dv-vhs, hd-dvd, etc.) but so far they haven't taken off. But who knows what will happen in the future? There wil alwaybs be technological advancements that will always be better than what we have right now. Still, it all depends on whether people will support it or not.

Offline Komikero

• Konsehal
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: Apr 23, 2001 at 07:22 PM »
I think DVD will be here for a while. Unlike laser discs, DVD has pretty much gone mainstream and it will take a while before it gets knocked off its perch. If any new technologies come out in the next few years, I'm pretty sure that they will give provisions to play our DVDs today. I mean, I'm still seeing new players that can play DVDs, as well as laser discs.

Offline firewired

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #36 on: Apr 23, 2001 at 10:32 PM »

But who knows what will happen in the future? There will alway be be technological advancements that will always be better than what we have right now.

So true. I read a magazine article late last year that talked about a breakthrough by some French scientists that allows 150 Gigabytes of storage on a standard-sized disc. That's 30 DVDs right there!
PinoyDVD: The Pinoy Digital Video & Devices Community

Offline bently

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: Apr 24, 2001 at 11:24 PM »

So true. I read a magazine article late last year that talked about a breakthrough by some French scientists that allows 150 Gigabytes of storage on a standard-sized disc. That's 30 DVDs right there!

just as history have shown....newer formats shall a rise ,

i remember my dad's 8mm film projector, (my  1st experience with home theater), then came the beta,the vhs, the laserdisk and now the dvd.

but the nice thing about the dvd is how quickly the public has embraced this new format....

Offline MultipleAngles

• Konsehal
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • DVD Guru
  • BANZAI!
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: Apr 25, 2001 at 09:49 AM »
Technology will play an important role in DVDs longevity. If there wasn't any recordable variation of DVD, then it'd just be following in the footsteps of LD. Thankfully, such variants are appearing in the market.

Another important factor will be marketing . For those of you who don't know, Betamax was a superior product than VHS in many aspects, especially quality. The problem was that VHS was marketed to be better than Beta. To customers, VHS's larger size meant more storage: Bigger is better. This wasn't true, but Beta never did anything marketing-wise to fix it. And despite being better, it faded into the obscure artifact that it is.

What does this mean for DVD? Simply that DVD has to keep on marketing itself as the format in order to stay alive. It did a great job in the beginning, using PR, ads, and connections to make it a household name that it is, as Komikero mentioned earlier.

For a more direct answer: DVD better stay put for a long time, otherwise I'm just wasting my money on them. :-X :'(

Offline Phobos

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Forum Nazi
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: Apr 25, 2001 at 07:18 PM »
I'm confident that although there is no assurance that the DVD format will be with us forever, it will still be a while before people will find a better format that they will embrace as much as they did the DVD.

I mean think about it, with the amount of money people invested in DVDs, it would take a really really really really REALLY good reason to make them forget about DVDs in exchange for something else.

Offline benny

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: Oct 18, 2001 at 01:14 AM »
You might interested in this Chicago Tribune story:

DVD rising

"With a growth rate 10 times faster than that of VHS, the format is poised to rule the home-entertainment world."  

Offline vacuumtubes

• DVD Guru
  • Smile!
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: Feb 22, 2002 at 08:08 PM »
Malamang mapalitan ang present dvd format, sa dami ba naman ng mga pirated ngayon eh.
And para makapag-market ulit ng ibang format/products ang mga manufacturers kasi halos lahat na yata ngayon ay may FAKE na katapat. ;)

Offline xage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Suspended
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: Feb 22, 2002 at 09:04 PM »
Near extinction if the growth rate of piracy keeps on increasing
[img width=163 height=49]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b221/x

Offline Alfie

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #43 on: Feb 22, 2002 at 09:10 PM »
Malamang mapalitan ang present dvd format, sa dami ba naman ng mga pirated ngayon eh.
And para makapag-market ulit ng ibang format/products ang mga manufacturers kasi halos lahat na yata ngayon ay may FAKE na katapat.

---------Near extinction if the growth rate of piracy keeps on increasing

Nope remember the saying;
Nothing is so powerful than an Idea that arrived in Time ;)

Offline espace

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: Feb 22, 2002 at 10:38 PM »
Don't mean to be a doomsayer here :-[, but:20.02.2002 marked the beginning of the end of DVD's as discussed in DVD Killer: Blu-ray Disc. :(

Of course, this beginning of the end will take a few more years. Taking from previous HT experience - Celluloid (35MM, 16 MM, 8MM), Magnetic Tape (2" Umatic, 1" Beta, VHS), Optical Red Laser ??? (LD's, VCD's DVD's), almost all "innovations" seem to have a one decade cycle. So given that, we may see the end of DVD in a few years time.

The good news is that as the new technology Blu-ray Disc encroaches into the market, DVD prices may "gracefully" dive to rock bottom. ;D

Another indicator is the rampant increase of pirated titles available for DVD and the more blatant "marketing" of these pirated products.

So given that, DVD is not here to stay. :'(
Your attitude is your life.
Maximize your options.
Never take anything too seriously.

Offline xage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Suspended
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: Feb 22, 2002 at 10:58 PM »
So if this happen.. Pinoydvd.com wud be pinoyblueray.com ;D
[img width=163 height=49]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b221/x

Offline espace

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: Feb 22, 2002 at 11:32 PM »
That's a good one xage! Quick too! ;D

LOL! ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: Oct 16, 2003 at 09:28 PM by espace »
Maximize your options.

Offline vacuumtubes

• DVD Guru
  • Smile!
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: Feb 23, 2002 at 12:09 AM »
kahit ano pang format ang dumating at pumalit, PinoyDVD still and always will.

kasi baka sa sobrang dami ng format at pabago-bago ay maging "Pinoy.com" or PinoyDisc.com na lang tayo. hehehe! ;D

PinoyDVD will Always be PinoyDVD!!! 8)

Offline espace

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: Feb 23, 2002 at 12:26 AM »
Tama ka ulit diyan Vax, the name PinoyDVD has a nice irreplaceable ring to it!

Even if the technology will change as it will eventually do, this forum will still be known by the same name.

Incidentally, by what name will Blu-ray be known? Blu-ray doesn't seem to have as nice a ring as DVD!

(pasensya na, naghahabol kasi ng "Collector" status, thus the repeated postings, this is #199) ;)
« Last Edit: Oct 16, 2003 at 09:34 PM by espace »
Maximize your options.

Offline Dog from OuTeR Space

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: Feb 23, 2002 at 04:20 AM »
although I do think that Blu-ray disc will definitely replace DVD as the king of storage... I'm just wondrin how much would one cost... also, with a storage equivalent of 30 dvds, what will they do with that much storage space ???  I'm not that familiar with the compression stuff in discs... just curious what's the totally uncompressed file size of let's say a 2-hour movie?

Kiluminati2 8)

Offline espace

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: Feb 23, 2002 at 06:22 AM »
Two phrases may work to our advantage here:

Economies of Scale: As the number of units produced increases, the cost per unit comes down. This may or may not get passed on to the end consumer.

Introductory Pricing: To introduce a new technology or innovation to the market, manufacturers take a profit cut to just barely break even, as what happened to DVD in the early days. When the consumer bites and the product takes off, they have a few hey-day years to make better (obscene) profits. They eventually adjust prices based on supply and demand. Simultaneously, they are enjoying economies of scale in their manufacturing costs.

To answer your question, movie studios already have a sense of the arbitrary pricing to make for their product. People may find prices beyond what we are currently paying too steep even for a new technology. Of course, market innovators may buy this new tech at the higher prices just to be the first kid on the block to have them, but that's a different thing altogether.

So, my guess is that the prices for movies on whatever format may remain the same. Good news for us, but think of the capital expense we'll have to make in the form of new players, etc.!

As to your second question on storage space, I'm afraid I'm not too familiar with this and have not yet come across anything about it. Maybe another member of this forum can enlighten us. ???
« Last Edit: Oct 16, 2003 at 09:35 PM by espace »
Maximize your options.

Offline bently

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
DVD Killer: Blu-ray Disc
« Reply #51 on: Jan 12, 2002 at 12:27 PM »
HD-DVD Will Not Make Today's DVDs Obsolete

By: Boulet David

Many people talk about the future HD-DVD format with fear that their current growing collection of SD-DVDs (Standard Definition DVDs) will become obsolete. I'd like to put that fear to rest.

Will HD-DVDs look better than the very best SD-DVDs?

I'm sure. But how much may not be as earth shattering as many people might think.

Here's why: most people compare hi-definition video to the DVD image they watch on their 4:3 480-interlaced NTSC television.

It¹s a no-brainer: HD is night-and-day better.

But DVDs aren't NTSC resolution. They're Standard Definition resolution and can actually be midway up the DTV resolution ladder. Component video, 480P, and 16:9 all go a long way to providing significantly better image quality than what comes out of even the best 4:3 NTSC televisions.

When you compare high-definition to DVD's maximum resolution, such as 1080I right next to a 16:9 480-progressive display of the same standard DVD, the high-definition looks better (and more 3-dimensional), but not in a night-and-day "trash your DVD collection" kind of way. 720p and 1080P HDTV would result in a more dramatic improvement over SD-DVD. Naturally videophiles will stand in line to replace their favorite titles on HD-DVD the moment they appear. But they will not be putting their existing collections by the curbside the moment that HD-DVD player arrives.

This is partly due to another reason. That HD-DVD player, which on the one hand threatens to usher in a whole new library of films, will also produce the best image from your current SD-DVD discs you ever saw. To say that such a player will display your collection in glorious 16:9 480P on your HD display is an understatement. Already some companies (Princeton Graphics, for example) are producing DVD players that not only provide 480P output, but also scale to 720P and 960P output from today's discs with user-selectable scanning rates. Add to that the ability to upscale 4:3 letterboxed DVD software to 16:9 and your current collection of movies will give the impression of being near hi-definition in quality.

Not to mention that just because a HD-DVD format finally gets introduced won't mean that all of your favorite titles will instantly appear on it! You'll be glad you have the movies you do, but even happier for the discs which have been 16:9 (anamorphically) encoded. You can always sell your SD-DVDs one-by-one to your HD-challenged friend as their HD-DVD replacements become available.

Will HD-DVD make the current 16:9 issue with today's DVDs moot?

Lots of people say why worry about 16:9 anamorphic for today's SD-DVD when HD-DVD will make the whole issue moot. They feel the claim foolish that 16:9 encoding of today's SD-DVDs is some sort of "future proofing" since even a 16:9 SD-DVD won't satisfy the videophile once HD-DVD becomes available. My volley back is that even if a particular videophile does feel that strongly about preferring HD-DVD software, it's important to realize that some studios may never release certain titles on HD-DVD for fear of piracy. In that case, where a particular title never emerges on HD-DVD or takes 10 years to do so, that additional 33% resolution that current 16:9 encoding offers will probably mean even more to you then than it does now. Simply put, 16:9 is one of the most effective ways a DVD mastered today can be made "HDTV-friendly."

The future looks bright, and the promise of HD-DVD and HD-DVD players makes it brighter; even for your collection of existing DVDs.

thats a relief  :D

bently
« Last Edit: Jan 30, 2003 at 03:07 PM by Kahon »

Offline SiCkBoY

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 47
Re: will HD-DVD make your DVDs Obsolete?
« Reply #52 on: Jan 12, 2002 at 02:37 PM »
in english pls  ;D

Offline gonz

• Konsehal
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: Jan 12, 2002 at 03:23 PM »
I've never been the type to fear change and progress, but even I am alarmed by how quickly manufacturers are moving to supplant SD-DVD with a new format.

VHS was allowed to rule as the premiere home video format for a good 15-20 tears before being superseded by DVD (LD never truly replaced VHS).

But SD-DVD only hit the market less than five years ago, in 1997.  We haven't even progressed to the point where inexpensive mass-market DVD recorders are available, and already the industry wants to introduce a more technologically advanced format.

I don't know about you guys, but there's no way that I'm going to begin replacing my SD-DVDs as soon as HD-DVDs come out.  I just bought a Sony Wega a couple of months ago; no way am I going to spend another $1500-$2000 for an HDTV until I've gotten sufficient return on my investment in the Wega.

It seems clear to me that this inexorable push toward incrementally better iterations of the DVD format is driven by the whole Western culture of conspicuous consumption and the industry's hope (probably justified) that there are enough people with disposable income (a.k.a. the proverbial "fool and his money") out there who will swallow the hype about HD-DVD.

For me, the basic issue is this (and I've heard Komikero express the same sentiment in another thread):  how much more perfect can video and audio clarity become?  Doesn't there come a point where these incremental improvements in video and audio fidelity are beyond the range of human detection?  Will HD-DVD truly be a compelling, must-have improvement over SD-DVD?

The manufacturers are betting we will believe so.
It's always darkest just before it gets pitch black.

Offline Kahon

• Konsehal
  • DVD Guru
  • Hmpppp!!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: Jan 12, 2002 at 06:21 PM »
Higher-resolution formats like S-VHS, enhanced CDs and 20-and 24-bit encoded CDs barely made a dent in the markets of VHS and CDs.  Instead these were used for special purposes for the audio- and videophiles, while the standard resolution formats were still strictly for the mass market.  I would think HD-DVD would have a similar effect.  The two DVD-video resolutions can co-exist and probably even be compatible to a certain degree.

Offline espace

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: Jan 12, 2002 at 07:27 PM »
Like Kahon said, this will affect a specific segment of audiophiles and innovators. At a certain point in time, economies of scale will kick in and this technology too can become more widely available. When? Well, that depends on market acceptance.

As gonz put it, it will take him sometime before he goes into this new tech.

We would all agree and have experienced that technology has been growing at an accelerating rate and technological obsolesence is happening more often nowadays.

This is one of those circumstances. But it seems HD-DVD's developers considered that software acceptance is an important factor in their product's success and have made HD-DVD compatible, even enhancing viewing experience of existing titles. So this may eventually be more welcome into more HT's.

This would affect DVD's pretty much the same may like Kahon posted: CD with SACD, etc. etc. It would affect DVD's pretty much more like the way the AC-3 format affected LD's during LD Dolby Pro-Logic days. If you have the AC-3 equipment, you could take advantage of the technology. Otherwise, it still played fine on your existing hardware and vice versa, your existing library could play fine on the new equipment.

For me this is good news, as I have always held off on new tech and waited for the "dust" to settle. I guess I waited for it too long as can be seen with my HT equipment (still on Pro-Logic). We didn't go with AC-3 as we felt it was a marginal innovation (cost-benefit wise) over Pro-Logic. And I'm glad that I skipped over 5.1 when I got into DVD's as 6.1 and 7.1 are more available nowadays. I even read sometime back that 10.2 might be where we're going.

But really now, it is a matter of personal preference. Take advantage of the technology at the time of purchase, you could get a bargain that may not go obsolete for some time in the process. I've been fairly lucky with my picks and am trusting my judgement when it comes to these things, but should the opportunity come to enhance our HT experience even better, I would welcome it, but only after the proverbial dust settles. ;)
Maximize your options.

Offline slowhand

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: Jan 13, 2002 at 06:58 AM »
Thanks for the informative, concise article bently. Kinda reassuring too...to a certain extent.

The situatiion will hinge on what extent HDTV can penetrate - not the sets but the broadcasting format. When HDTV broadcasting is the norm, SD-DVD display quality will be lower than what we can view when we watch normal TV. Right now SD-DVD quality is far ahead of most broadcasting quality in the US and Japan (all broadcasting in Phils.) so we're always moving up in quality when we put on a DVD. But when it falls behind normal TV quality, then we'll welcome HD-DVD.

I'm not sure that the difference in quality is small. I've not done a direct A/B comparison, but seen both HDTV broadcasts and DVDs played on progressive scan players and HDTV sets -- and I've always been blown away by how much better HDTV quality is.

Offline MultipleAngles

• Konsehal
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • DVD Guru
  • BANZAI!
  • Liked:
DVD Killer? HD-DVD / Blu-Ray Disks
« Reply #57 on: Oct 31, 2001 at 11:41 AM »
Matsucrapa unveils High Density DVDs

Got this from Animenation. Looks yummy!

Oct 26...

"Matsucrapa unveils High Density DVDs
Japanese electronics giant Matsucrapa has just introduced the latest evolution in DVD technology, a high capacity DVD disc capable of containing 10 times the amount of data that current industry standard DVDs can hold. While the current industry standard DVD can hold about 5 gigabytes of data per side, Matsucrapa's new DVD discs can contain 50 gigs of data per side..."

I say: "Get ready for them Infinite Edition DVDs"

« Last Edit: Jan 31, 2003 at 02:22 AM by Kahon »

Offline benny

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Re: Matsucrapa unveils High Density DVDs
« Reply #58 on: Oct 31, 2001 at 11:57 AM »
Also reported at Yahoo: Matsucrapa Elec unveils high capacity DVD   :)

Offline halo

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
Re: Matsucrapa unveils High Density DVDs
« Reply #59 on: Oct 31, 2001 at 12:28 PM »
I read the article and it said something about using "blue laser technology"

does this mean that our current dvd players will become obsolete soon? Will these high density dvds force us to buy a new kind of dvd player?
:( :( :( :( :(