Author Topic: SONY BRAVIA LCD TV Owners Thread (Share Experiences, Settings, Problems)  (Read 106289 times)

Offline bentot022274

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Wala kasi sa budget ko Sir bentot yung 40BX420 eh, hehehehehehehhe!! Kasi it's still around 35K ata in SnS. So I just opted for the 40BX400. Ok naman kahit it was last year model.

Ewan ko ba, na train ata yung mata ko sa Sony TVs eh, hehehehehehehehe!!!

Kasi since I was a child Sony talaga TVs namin. But that's just me.

maganda talaga sony no doubt mahal nga lang....bumili kse ko samsung 51" plasma 2011 model kaso nag goghost sa local channels lalo na sa fast scenes di mapanooran kaya sinoli ko at pinapalitan ko sony 40BX420 para sure na so far ok naman satisfied ako.... :)

Offline jcdvo

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
BX420 has the XrossMediaBar (XMB™) Menu System and the usb media player now can play all sorts of movies including divx hd

Yup, it seems Sony is better at displaying analog tv broadcast and sd content.

Offline iscariot

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
Hi guys! I've just bought a klv32cx320 model, less than a month pa.. Any feedbacks about this model? i used it mainly for my ps3 and movies.. It reads my 1TB goflex.. Thanks! I'm just a newbie here.

Offline charmed_huntress

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
Hi guys, I just bought a Sony 40BX450 earlier, any reviews on this. So far it's worth it :) so happy with the purchase  :D

Offline Brel

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
Planning to purchase a 40" or 42" LED TV.  3D feature is not that important for me but the TV should have Ethernet/WiFi connectivity and not less than 120Hz Refresh Rate.  Well is it still advisable to get that low refresh rate or should I aim for a higher value?

Please recommend a nice current model for SONY.  I'm really thinking of buying either a Sony, Samsung, or LG brand.  Thanks!  :)

Offline ferds_88

• Apprentice
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
I just Bought  KLV-32EX330 with DVP-SR760HP at Sight and Sounds for 18k, ok kaya ito? first choice ko KDL-32EX520 wala na stock

Offline Brel

• Collector
  • Liked:
Tip: I recently discovered, when I was researching about the LED TV I plan to purchase, that 120Hz and 240Hz does not have so much difference. Go for 400Hz and up refresh rate if budget will allow! :)
« Last Edit: Nov 14, 2012 at 10:01 PM by Brel »

Offline ApEXi

• Apprentice
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
guys i have a KLV-32EX330 bought a month back..now i noticed may isa or dalawa na black spot..dead pixel i suppose..is this liveable or pa service ko na agad?will sony kaya replace my lcd panel?

Offline oznola

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1443
.is this liveable or pa service ko na agad?

first.sorry to hear about that.sure sucks kabago bago nagka issue agad na ganyan.

only you can decide if you can live with it. more than a month or less? di ko alam how Sony deals with issues like this. if via phone muna then they send someone out to check it o dala lang sa service center agad....

anyways, do keep us posted. im sure a lot will benefit from the info.good luck

Offline ApEXi

• Apprentice
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
nung 26th of october ko binili so more or less more than a month..tried to call their service center dito sa bacolod city and the CSR told me to bring it in daw for repair no minimum number of dead pixels daw...sana ma replace nila..keep you posted

Offline hakudaten

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
Wow 32EX330 pa naman pinagpipilian ko... base sa input above parang it lessen its appeal :c

Offline ana.pereira2011

• Collector
  • "He who does not economize will have to agonize"
  • Liked:
nung 26th of october ko binili so more or less more than a month..tried to call their service center dito sa bacolod city and the CSR told me to bring it in daw for repair no minimum number of dead pixels daw...sana ma replace nila..keep you posted
To earn what you can; spend what you must; give what you should, and save the rest—this is thrift.”

Offline Mannyx

• Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
This is also my problem the difference is aqua na grayish yung color. Any feedback from your cousin? ano ngyari sa tv nya naayos ba? thanks
This is also my problem the difference is aqua na grayish yung color. Any feedback from your cousin? ano ngyari sa tv nya naayos ba? thanks

This recently happened to my 32 Sony Bravia S550a. Dark/black scenes became red. Had it fixed at Sony Centre Kalaw, just paid for the P800 labor. Fuse yata ang problem.

Offline jars

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
What in the world is Cinema Drive!!??
« Reply #463 on: Apr 17, 2014 at 02:53 PM »
Hello people,

I have just recently purchased a Sony Bravia KLV 24" LED TV, for some reason the box only lists it as an R40, i don't know if that's a general no. meant to refer to the R402 or R422 series of TV's but I'd like to assume it's an R402A, anyway here's my question:

What is Cinema Drive?

In the specs and in the TV settings, there is no Motion Flow feature, but I was hoping Cinema Drive would achieve the same function, which is to smooth out video motion until it looks like 60fps.
As it stands however, Cinema Drive seems to do only one thing when I turn it on... nothing.
I've looked all over the net, and seen posts about how incredibly wonderful turning Cinema Drive is, "Once I turned it on it's like the characters were in the room with me!". But I usually see it mentioned in connection with Motion Flow, while adjusting Cinema Drive to be Auto1 or Auto2, etc.
My Cinema Drive has only two settings, off and Auto.  Can anyone please shed some light on this for me? I don't understand how Sony would include Cinema Drive on a Bravia TV like mine that serves no purpose.
Even the manual says that it improves motion on videos played from Bluray, DVD, VCR recordings that were recorded at 24fps, etc.

Thanks,

Ryan

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
It's hard to tell what it does if the manufacturer doesn't explain it.  That's because terms like those are not official AV terms, but merely prorietary terms of the manufacturer for marketing purposes.

I tried googling for Auto 1 and Auto 2, but all I found were settings for Bravia's Cinemotion, not for Cinema Drive, which only has On and Auto settings.

If, as you say, the manual says it improves motion on videos played from sources recorded at 24fps, then Cinema Drive automatically activates when it detects 24p sources by matching the frame rate of the source.  If it does not detect a 24p source, it will not do anything.

For you to be able to notice any difference, you must be able to spot the difference between 24p and 29.97p playback.  Otherwise, they will look the same. 

24p is important to me since I can easily see 24p compatibility.  If you can't see the 24p difference, then the feature is useless to you. 

But if you're looking for a Motion Flow function, that's not it.  Motion Flow is motion interpolation.  24p compatibility is not motion interpolation.

« Last Edit: Apr 17, 2014 at 03:27 PM by barrister »

Offline jars

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
I've confirm from the back of the tv that it is a klv-24R402A which interestingly in all specs i found on the internet IS supposed to have Motionflow. But it doesn't.
Anyway i've tested Cinema Drive on everything, especially bluray movies because those are sure to be 24p with the best potential for smoothing. Still no difference. I am a 60fps fanboy so i can easily tell the difference between 24p and 60fps type motion. 24p and 29.97 is a little harder. But i've never heard of interpolation to produce 29.97 from 24p and quite frankly, i don't need it. I'd rather watch movies in their original framerate of 24p (and preserve it's artistic value), or interpolated to 60.

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Anyway i've tested Cinema Drive on everything, especially bluray movies because those are sure to be 24p with the best potential for smoothing. Still no difference.

It's not that simple, since frame rate is a very confusing topic.

Most BD movies are encoded at 23.976p, not 24p.  24p is the standard frame rate of film, not HD home video. 

There are some movies encoded on BD at a true 24p frame rate (especially the European ones), but they are unusual.  Recent examples of true 24p BDs are The Devil's Volinist (2013), A Royal Affair (2012) and Philomena (2013).

24p or 23.976p will not give you a smooth, Motionflow-like cadence.  It will still have judder, but it will be a judder that closely resembles the cadence of 24p film in cinemas.

For me, the best candidate for Motionflow is a 29.97fps encode, such as the NatGeo documentaries.  24p with Motionflow ruins the original cinematography, giving the cadence a weird look that's just "off."  But 29.97p with Motionflow gives you a very stable picture without judder that looks good on nature docus. 

I am a 60fps fanboy so i can easily tell the difference between 24p and 60fps type motion. 24p and 29.97 is a little harder.

29.97 and 60 are essentially the same thing.

29.97fps is an NTSC TV standard, which was introduced with NTSC color in 1953, where the older rate of 60 fields per second was reduced by a factor of 1000/1001 to avoid interference between the chroma subcarrier and the broadcast sound carrier.

29.97fps is commonly written today as "30fps" for convenience.  But the 30fps is actually displayed at 60 interlaced frames per second.  At 60fps, you're not really getting 60 different pictures per second, you're only getting 30 different pictures per second, with each full frame being split into 2 interlaced frames to make 60 interlaced frames.     

With modern progressive-display flat panels, each pair of interlaced frames is combined to form 2 progressive frames.  However, you just get 2 frames of the same picture, not 2 different pictures.  Therefore, a progressive TV displaying a 30fps feed at 60fps is merely doubling each of the 30 frames to make 60 frames per second.

But i've never heard of interpolation to produce 29.97 from 24p and quite frankly, i don't need it. I'd rather watch movies in their original framerate of 24p (and preserve it's artistic value), or interpolated to 60.

29.97 is too slow for TV displays, and the average person will easily see flickering.  That's why 60fps is the standard for NTSC TV, even if it's actually 30p with each frame being doubled on the display.   

On my Samsung plasma TV, a 24p blu-ray source is displayed at the correct cadence of 24p, but at a high frequency of 96 Hz to minimize flickering.  This means that each frame of the 24p source is displayed 4 times per second, so that 24p x 4 = 96 frames per second.

Seeing the difference between 24p (23.976p) and 60p (29.97p) is difficult for the ordinary viewer because he doesn't know which scenes he should be looking out for.  But the video enthusiast knows which scenes will show the difference most clearly, that's why he can spot the difference so easily.
« Last Edit: Apr 17, 2014 at 09:50 PM by barrister »

Offline jars

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
Let's just call 60fps "soap opera effect". I understand that Motionflow can take any video, regardless of framerate, and do it's best to make it as close as possible to the "soap opera effect". I thought that's what Cinema Drive does. I found a couple of more articles that suggest that Cinema Drive does interpolate between 24p frames to create the net effect of "more" frames per second and a smoother video. Like an alternative technique to Motion Flow. But on my TV, it does nothing for my 24p or 23.976 movies.

(I will post my original question in a separate thread so it can reach a wider audience.)

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
60fps is not soap opera effect.  It's just an NTSC rate with progressive frames.

Soap opera effect starts at the double rates of 100Hz for PAL, and 120Hz for NTSC.  Further doubling that will give you 200Hz and 240Hz.

Soap opera effect is the result of motion interpolation in 100Hz or higher.  There is no soap opera effect on 60Hz because there is no motion interpolation on 60 Hz.

But on my TV, it does nothing for my 24p or 23.976 movies.

Of course it does something.  It detects 24p sources and renders the source at 24p.

The reason why you can't see any difference is because you're looking for a soap opera effect, which is not a 24p rendition.

That's why I keep repeating that if you can't see the difference between 24p and 60p, you won't be able to see what Cinema Drive does either. 

Let's put it this way.  There is no motion interpolation in both 24p and 60p rendition.  The difference is that there is a 2-3 pulldown on 60p , but not on 24p.  The question is, how does 2-3 pulldown look like on a TV, as distinguished from a 24p video without pulldown?  What kind of scenes will best emphasize the difference?

If you can't answer it, you won't be able to see what Cinema Drive does.
« Last Edit: Apr 21, 2014 at 02:06 AM by barrister »

Offline jars

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
Oh but 60hz is technically soap opera effect.
Ever wonder why Tekken always looks so smooth even on lowly lowly 60hz TV's? It's because the Playstation outputs those games at 60fps and the 60hz TV's displays those 60 frames at 1 frame/hertz

The only reason motion interpolation is needed is because it has to interpolate between 24fps in order to reach an aggregate net effect of having 60 or more unique frames display per second. Soap opera effect essentially is anything that shows 60 or more unique (non-repeating) frames per second.

I don't understand how the pulldown techniques work, but my only concern was whether Cinema Drive did any motion interpolation or not. So obviously it doesn't, so there.

Offline jjb

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
your unit doesnt have the soap opera effect if you're expecting SOE. It's only 60hz and Sony calls this "Motionflow 100". So all Tvs actually have "motionflow" if you follow Sony's marketing.
Like what was said, SOE starts at 120hz and above.
Cinema mode i understand detects 24fps into motionflow 60hz causing less judder. HTH

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Oh but 60hz is technically soap opera effect.

No, that's not right.

Soap Opera Effect is a new term that was coined to describe the effect of motion interpolation software on movies converted to home video.  That is why you will notice that there was no such term as "Soap Opera Effect" during the time when motion interpolation was not yet available to the general public.

"Soap Opera" refers to a serial drama originally on  radio, then later on TV.  It's called "opera" because it reminded people of theater opera during the time of the popularity of radio dramas.  It's called "soap" because the sponsors were usually the soap manufacturers.

In the Philippines, we call them telenovelas, from the Mexican term, first used here during the popularity of Marimar.

"Soap Opera Effect" refers to the effect that motion interpolation produces on 24p film converted to video.  In other words, the film, instead of looking like film, looks like a TV show or soap opera.   

If you're watching Marimar on TV, do you call it a Soap Opera Effect?  No, you call it a soap opera, not a soap opera effect. 

You add the word "effect" only when there is motion interpolation, such as where the original frame rate is 24fps, motion-interpolated to 120Hz.  If the original frame rate is 60 fields per second, such as in Marimar, then it is rendered as 60p on your TV, you don't call that a Soap Opera Effect, you simply call that a Soap Opera.

Therefore, the term Soap Opera Effect (SOE) does not apply where the the original video was shot at 60 fields per second or 29.97 frames per second, then rendered as 60p on a TV.  That is why it is not correct to say that anything 60p is "technically" soap opera effect.

Ever wonder why Tekken always looks so smooth even on lowly lowly 60hz TV's? It's because the Playstation outputs those games at 60fps and the 60hz TV's displays those 60 frames at 1 frame/hertz

It's frames per second, not frames per Hertz.

Why is Tekken smooth? 

Fighting games are usually encoded at 60fps.  They are smooth because they are not originally 24p encodes that were rendered at 24p, or 24p rendered at 60p with 2-3 pulldown, but because they were originally encoded at a high frame rate. 

The only reason motion interpolation is needed is because it has to interpolate between 24fps in order to reach an aggregate net effect of having 60 or more unique frames display per second.

No, that's not it.

Motion interpolation adds new frames that were not present in the original video encode.

24p is rendered as as 60p by using 2-3 pulldown in a process called "telecine conversion," not motion interpolation.  Thus, 24p is converted to 60p without interpolation.   

Soap opera effect essentially is anything that shows 60 or more unique (non-repeating) frames per second.

No, you're making things up.

SOE is motion interpolation.  No motion interpolation, no SOE.

If you watch TV Patrol or Eat Bulaga on TV, the frame rate looks like a soap opera.  Is that a Soap Opera Effect?  No, because there was no interpolation applied.  The video was shot originally at 29.97 frames per second, with 60 interlaced frames per second.

It's smooth because it's originally and naturally smooth, not because motion interpolation was applied.     

« Last Edit: Apr 22, 2014 at 01:36 PM by barrister »

Offline jars

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
I apologize. My wordings were monumentally disastrous. From now on i will never use the term soap opera effect. I had not realized that it was a term coined by TV manufacturers to describe their proprietary motion interpolation techniques. What i always meant was "soap opera phenomenon", referring to how our eyes perceive 60fps and higher. So my earlier statement should be rephrased, "60hz allows for the soap opera phenomenon".

I said 1 frame/hertz because that's how I assumed Tekken outputs it's 60fps to a 60hz TV. If the tv screen refreshes 60 times per second, then a Playstation outputting at 60fps would theoretically shoot each frame in sync with the TV's refresh. So it would be 1 PS3 frame/1 TV Refresh.

Sorry about my other statement, it was rushed, "The only reason motion interpolation is needed is because it has to interpolate between 24fps in order to reach an aggregate net effect of having 60 or more unique frames display per second."

I hope this is more accurate, "The only reason motion interpolation is needed is to interpolate between the frames in 24p video that has been pre-converted through telecine conversion, in order to produce an effect of 60fps output."

And regarding my last statement, again soap opera phenomenon instead of soap opera effect.

Barrister, when you said Cinema drive detects 24p source and renders it at 24p, did you by any chance mean that the TV plays back the 24p at it's original framerate instead of using pulldown techniques to make it conform to 60p?

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:

Barrister, when you said Cinema drive detects 24p source and renders it at 24p, did you by any chance mean that the TV plays back the 24p at it's original framerate instead of using pulldown techniques to make it conform to 60p?

Yes, 24p is displayed at 24p.

It can't be 60p (more accurately, 59.94p).  Otherwise they will have to use pulldown, since 59.94 (29.97 x 2) divided by 24 will not give you a whole number that can allow proper conversion.  59.94 divided by 23.976 is 2.5, which is still not a whole number, and the ".5" is the half frame that requires pulldown. 

Film is 24p.  NTSC on flat panel TV is 60p (59.94p).  When Sony says "Cinema Drive," it can't mean 60p of NTSC TV, otherwise the use of the word "cinema" will not make sense, and they should have called it "TV Drive" instead of "Cinema Drive."

That's why LG calls it Real Cinema; Panasonic, 24p Cinematic Playback; and Samsung, Cinema Smooth --- because the word "cinema" distinguishes 24p rendition from 60p rendition.

So, using Cinema Drive, does the TV play back the 24p at its original framerate?  Yes.

Using Cinema Drive, does the TV use 2-3 pulldown and convert 24p to 60p?  No.  If it detects a 25fps PAL source, it will display at 50Hz, no pulldown; if it detects a 29.97fps NTSC source, it will display at 60Hz (59.94Hz), no pulldown; if it detects a 24p source, it will display at 24p (but not at 24Hz).

If it displays at 24p, does it mean that the TV shows only 24 frames per second?  Definitely not.  24fps at 24Hz is unwatchable because it flickers too much.  Older 24p-capable TVs refresh 24p at 48Hz by doubling each frame, but flicker is still obvious at 48Hz. 

Newer TVs refresh 24p at 72Hz, to simulate the triple shutter on cinema projectors.   But on higher-end TVs, the standard is now 24p at 96Hz, meaning each frame is refreshed 4 times (24 x 4 = 96).     

Movie projectors cannot display 24fps of film as is.  If they did, all you will see is an unwatchable blur.  What they do is implement a double shutter that opens and closes twice for each frame of film, in order to be able to show each frame individually, instead of showing a series of overlapping frames continuously.  Today's standard is a triple shutter per frame in order to minimize the flicker that is more obvious on double shutter projectors.

=======================================

The question you should ask is, "What type of scenes will demonstrate the difference between 24p-to-24p without pulldown vs. 24p-to-60p with telecine pulldown?"  The answer is scenes with slow camera pans.

Example?  The opening scene of Hugo has a slow-panning scene that is very long.  Beautifully cinematic cadence on 24p at 96Hz.  It's going to have bad judder at 60p, but still ok for most people, since it's hardly noticeable to the average viewer anyway. 

It's extremely jerky on YouTube's 30fps due to a bad implementation that looks like simple frame-dropping instead of a proper pulldown:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svDYdh77JkA

Also try I, Robot, (time: 25:35 to 25:57; look at the robots) and the opening scene of The Day After Tomorrow (00:53 to 02:55).

Note:

My examples are encoded not at true 24p, but at the standard 23.976p.  Try a true 24p BD encode, and if you notice a dropped frame every 41seconds, then your Bravia cannot handle true 24p correctly.

They should have agreed on a single standard HD frame rate, since this 24p vs. 23.976p difference is confusing the industry, especially the media player makers. 

They came up with 23.976 because 24fps of film x 1000 ÷ 1001 = 23.976.  This factor of 1000 ÷ 1001 (a remnant of the NTSC factor of 30fps  x 1000 ÷ 1001 = 29.97) should have been discarded when we shifted from analog TV to digital TV.

« Last Edit: Apr 24, 2014 at 10:50 PM by barrister »

Offline Kakashi03

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • DVD Addict
  • With or without you
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 14
Any more users using sony tv's?
To god be the glory
Yamaha AX 840
MiBox 3
Wharfedale 9.2
Wharfedale 9cs
Wharfedale 9.6
Mirage S10

Offline blackbird1

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
My old Sony 32EX400 4 year old and still alive upgrade to 48in R472b.

Offline j_rioferio

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
Mga Sir, in lay man's term po, medyo technical po kasi ang mga explanation natin,sa madaling salita po, hindi po ba maganda ang effect ng let's say 60hz lang refresh rate when your watching blurays. Kung hindi po ba maselan ang manunuod ok na ba yun? Kasi  po I'm planning to get the 48W600B...which I believe is 60Hz lang ang refresh rate din..or malaking bagay yung sinasabi nila na x-reality na features nito.. Maraming salamat sa tulong...

Offline catgreg2k2

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
Hi guys yung 42" EX-410 ko bigla na lang ayaw mag power? Naka AVR naman po ako simula nung nabili ko itong unit na ito. Even yung red power light wala pong ilaw, ano po kaya naging problema nito? Saan po kaya Sony Service Center malapit sa Novaliches. Thanks and more power sa PDVD.
Onkyo TXNR509
Polk RTi-A7
Polk RTi-CS6
Polk DSW 660wi
Wharf Diamond 8.1
NAD 320Bee
Wharf Diamond 9.2

Offline anya618

• Trade Count: (+3196)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • it PAYS to be patient ;D
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2613
Hi guys yung 42" EX-410 ko bigla na lang ayaw mag power? Naka AVR naman po ako simula nung nabili ko itong unit na ito. Even yung red power light wala pong ilaw, ano po kaya naging problema nito? Saan po kaya Sony Service Center malapit sa Novaliches. Thanks and more power sa PDVD.

under warranty pa sir? alam ko 2 years home service ang warranty ng sony
viber/cp# 09175040694 (PLS INDICATE USERNAME)

Offline catgreg2k2

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
under warranty pa sir? alam ko 2 years home service ang warranty ng sony

yung nga po masaklap anya618, wala na warranty kasi nung April 2012 ko pa nabili ito.
Onkyo TXNR509
Polk RTi-A7
Polk RTi-CS6
Polk DSW 660wi
Wharf Diamond 8.1
NAD 320Bee
Wharf Diamond 9.2